Portal Needs

31,933 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by parentswerebears
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Cal will need another center?

sluggo
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

If I was playing Uno with kids, I would keep only my Celestine card and throw down three or four Wild portal Draw 4 cards. Clean house, hope that Wilkinson's ready, and start fresh.

Nothing against Celestine, but IMHO, Brown's the one with the higher ceiling; it'd be nuts to let him go. If Madsen develops him, Brown can probably be a first round pick in his junior year (if not next year).
What did you see in Brown that makes you rate him so high as a first round pick in any round? He looks frightened out there, even a bit scared. He does not drive particularly well. My goodness, Cone was such a liability out there on defense, why didn't Madsen play Brown more if he is so good? He is a freshman, and he will get better. But he needs to bulk up and get stronger, and that may affect his shooting touch.

Celestine and Brown play different positions. I don't know who is the better shot, but Celestine has been doing it for 3 seasons at Cal, with Brown's sample being only one season, playing few minutes, and none as a regular starter. Celestine is already a good defender. He can drive, he can shoot both mid-range and 3 pointers. I can't see any reason not to keep Celestine over Brown. I just need to see a lot more minutes of Brown to evaluate him. Right now, he just doesn't seem to be very dangerous. The only reason right now that I'd keep a Brown over Celestine is that Celestine has a history of serious injury.

I am also not interested in taking players who will be NBA picks in early drafts. I just don't care about players who will leave early. I want only 4 year players, or players who want to be here, not just showcase their talents to scouts who might draft them, and then blow town for the big bucks.
I know this will sound like an excuse in the case of Rodney, but when he struggled it wasn't just that he was a freshman, but also it was the fact that with our strange rotation this year with Tyson playing like a point guard and Cone as a 2, losing Askew, very often Rodney was asked to play like a point guard when in reality he is a 2 - basically a freshman clone of Allen Crabbe. If Madsen fills in the right pieces, I expect a solid progression from Rodney next year.
I have a counter position on Brown. In high school he handled the ball a lot, passed well, and had a very diverse game that included shooting. I thought his ball handling would translate to college, but that it would take time to hit his shot. It was the opposite. His shooting was good, but his ball handling let him down. If he wants to play in the NBA, which is realistic, he needs to be able to handle the ball much better. I hope he is working on it every day. It is certainly in his interest.

Watching him play this year I never thought he weight was an issue. He is tall for a perimeter player and has long arms and that is enough.
philbert
Askew entering portal

bearsandgiants
philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I feel like if he had stayed, he'd have been a problem next year, yet by leaving, he'll end up doing phenomenally well and we'll regret his departure. Just hoping he lands somewhere other than the ACC, and has a terrific finish to his college career.
6956bear
philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I think this was expected.
Bobodeluxe
Everyone is a free agent. Go laundry.
Gkhoury2325
Brown, Celestine, Newel, Pavlovic, Curtis appear to be the only scholarship players left. I assume Tyson enters the NBA draft. I can see him return if he is not guaranteed a 1st rd pick. We definitely need a C, Stretch PF, PG and backup PG, a long athletic Wing that can play D and shoot the three ball. A combo guard would be nice. Getting long athletic players that can shoot would be nice. It may coast up to 4-5 million in NIL. I guess I'm asking for a Kentucky, Duke or UNC wish list.
Big C
bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I feel like if he had stayed, he'd have been a problem next year, yet by leaving, he'll end up doing phenomenally well and we'll regret his departure. Just hoping he lands somewhere other than the ACC, and has a terrific finish to his college career.

I never really felt this way, though I'm glad he came to Cal and gave it a shot. I appreciated the way he stayed engaged in the games and with his teammates through the end of the season. Hope he gets a degree at one of his stops. If he graduated from Cal, that's great!
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

I am looking forward to seeing Okafor make a jump after he is healthy. How many seasons does he have left?

Well, he made a jump all right!
Bobodeluxe
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

I am looking forward to seeing Okafor make a jump after he is healthy. How many seasons does he have left?

Well, he made a jump all right!
lol
3Cats4CAL
Johnfox said:

Stojakovic is in the portal. Expect Raynaud to announce soon.

Has anyone from Stanford ever transferred to Cal?
89Bear
Gkhoury2325 said:

Brown, Celestine, Newel, Pavlovic, Curtis appear to be the only scholarship players left. I assume Tyson enters the NBA draft. I can see him return if he is not guaranteed a 1st rd pick. We definitely need a C, Stretch PF, PG and backup PG, a long athletic Wing that can play D and shoot the three ball. A combo guard would be nice. Getting long athletic players that can shoot would be nice. It may coast up to 4-5 million in NIL. I guess I'm asking for a Kentucky, Duke or UNC wish list.
Darn good frosh coming in as well.
Big C
3Cats4CAL said:

Johnfox said:

There was the football O-lineman, Barrett Miller, from last season. Dunno if you want to count Mike Montgomery, who spent two years with the Warriors in between.
sluggo
3Cats4CAL said:

Johnfox said:

The portal era is like three years. I think some will make that move going forward.
SFCityBear
sluggo said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCityBear said:

01Bear said:

barsad said:

If I was playing Uno with kids, I would keep only my Celestine card and throw down three or four Wild portal Draw 4 cards. Clean house, hope that Wilkinson's ready, and start fresh.

Nothing against Celestine, but IMHO, Brown's the one with the higher ceiling; it'd be nuts to let him go. If Madsen develops him, Brown can probably be a first round pick in his junior year (if not next year).
What did you see in Brown that makes you rate him so high as a first round pick in any round? He looks frightened out there, even a bit scared. He does not drive particularly well. My goodness, Cone was such a liability out there on defense, why didn't Madsen play Brown more if he is so good? He is a freshman, and he will get better. But he needs to bulk up and get stronger, and that may affect his shooting touch.

Celestine and Brown play different positions. I don't know who is the better shot, but Celestine has been doing it for 3 seasons at Cal, with Brown's sample being only one season, playing few minutes, and none as a regular starter. Celestine is already a good defender. He can drive, he can shoot both mid-range and 3 pointers. I can't see any reason not to keep Celestine over Brown. I just need to see a lot more minutes of Brown to evaluate him. Right now, he just doesn't seem to be very dangerous. The only reason right now that I'd keep a Brown over Celestine is that Celestine has a history of serious injury.

I am also not interested in taking players who will be NBA picks in early drafts. I just don't care about players who will leave early. I want only 4 year players, or players who want to be here, not just showcase their talents to scouts who might draft them, and then blow town for the big bucks.
I know this will sound like an excuse in the case of Rodney, but when he struggled it wasn't just that he was a freshman, but also it was the fact that with our strange rotation this year with Tyson playing like a point guard and Cone as a 2, losing Askew, very often Rodney was asked to play like a point guard when in reality he is a 2 - basically a freshman clone of Allen Crabbe. If Madsen fills in the right pieces, I expect a solid progression from Rodney next year.
I have a counter position on Brown. In high school he handled the ball a lot, passed well, and had a very diverse game that included shooting. I thought his ball handling would translate to college, but that it would take time to hit his shot. It was the opposite. His shooting was good, but his ball handling let him down. If he wants to play in the NBA, which is realistic, he needs to be able to handle the ball much better. I hope he is working on it every day. It is certainly in his interest.

Watching him play this year I never thought he weight was an issue. He is tall for a perimeter player and has long arms and that is enough.

I've always respected and enjoyed reading your advance descriptions of players you've seen play in high school or elsewhere, and I've found most all of it to be true. I think it adds to what we know of a player's abilities. I agree with all you said.

I should have said what I meant by bulking up or adding weight. The bulk and weight is valuable on both offense and defense. My concern is on the defensive side. It is easy for players to get moved around by bigger and stronger players. So for Brown, I think he needs bulk, so he can develop more muscle mass and strength, to ward off players pushing him around. Some tall skinny players can be very effective and have long careers, but most coaches try and get most recruits to bulk up and exercise to get stronger.

I remember many decades ago, when I tried out with 60 players for the Cal team, I shot the lights out, scoring more points than all but two players, who years later, made the All-Coast Team. I was one of the last players cut, and I was told I was too small. But I was invited back to tryout for next season. I was told to bulk up, add 35 lbs, and get a trainer to build up my muscles lifting weights. I asked why? They told me it was to make me a better defender and rebounder. Coaches still do that today, only more so, and training is much more sophisticated. If Brown is not required to do that, it would surprise me, but maybe he can just work on skills. More power to him.
SFCityBear
Basketball Bear
Well here is my take for next year. With a core of Brown, Celestine, Newel, Pavlovic, Curtis and new incoming freshman Wilkinson, The team should begin building for the future. I have a hard time believing that if we go out to the portal and try to duplicate what we did last year with players who only stay one year, we may well be in the same place at the end. I would agree that defense is an issue and if you keep players for multiple years they will learn your defensive system with time. Madsen made a nice splash with the players he brought in but in the end we had no depth. If he brings in the same level of talent we will be better but good enough to compete in the ACC, not so sure. There a lot of nice names being thrown around in the thread of players I would like to have and will they look at our core and feel they want to come here and be able to compete in the ACC? Or think they can showcase their talents at CAL? I know I feel like a buzz killer and I dont like it.
Until we begin to build up our cupboard with players who are here for 3-4 years I think it will be hit and miss. I'm for bringing in more freshman and less grad transfers. This next season we need a whole lot more again but bring me good JUCO and another freshman to help for the following year. I know Altman seems to do it every year but he must have a good core of players left behind to do this so consistently.
With 18 teams in the ACC we will need to do better than finishing .500 to make the tournament. I know the feeling is that it just got easier in football but it has gotten harder in basketball. They have 5 teams in the Dance. As mentioned earlier we are going to need a descent NIL.
I'm ready for the next fundraiser. I cant do 5-10K but I can help.
oskiswifeshusband
expect more to leave form the "core" group.
stu
oskiswifeshusband said:

Interesting. I can see that happening if:
1) We have so little NIL$ they can get better offers elsewhere.
or
2) We have so much NIL$ we can recruit over them and they wouldn't get much playing time here.

Anything else? My vision isn't all that good.
oskiswifeshusband
oskiswifeshusband
I think Madsen wants to build an ACC competitive roster. You can never have enough NIL.

all I know is if you want a championship at Cal, this is our time to literally "buy" into that.
Johnfox
Madsen will go another the season via the portal with Celestine being the only piece left.
oskiswifeshusband
Brown and Curtis there too. Not sure what will happen with Pavlovic though
bearsandgiants
stu said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

or
2) We have so much NIL$ we can recruit over them and they wouldn't get much playing time here.

Maybe we spent it all on Tyson and Celestine
Bobodeluxe
bearsandgiants said:

stu said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

or

Maybe we spent it all on Tyson and Celestine
Oops.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

He's not going to the ACC
01Bear
calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I honestly hope he reconsiders and remains at Cal. He would be a big loss. I'm certain Madsen can coach him ip and turn him into a solid power forward were he to stay.
Alkiadt
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I honestly hope he reconsiders and remains at Cal. He would be a big loss. I'm certain Madsen can coach him ip and turn him into a solid power forward were he to stay.

I'm pretty sure all these departures were known and anticipated by the staff. They do a complete post season one on one review with all players.
The staff has been recruiting for nearly a full year. Madsen is turning over the roster.
4thGenCal
Alkiadt said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I'm pretty sure all these departures were known and anticipated by the staff. They do a complete post season one on one review with all players.
The staff has been recruiting for nearly a full year. Madsen is turning over the roster.
Yes - The staff realized very early on that the returning players were most likely back ups and unless they were willing to accept reduced roles, would most likely be leaving at season end. Celestine being the exception. Newell has the ability to shine, but despite repeated opportunities, just did not consistently deliver on the court. Also back ups(not just one player, but in general) who complain about not enough NIL monies, create issues that detract from team unity.
Big C
Alkiadt said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

This is the bottom line, absolutely. Plus, Madsen now has a few years to build, w/o having to worry about his job. I'm excited to see what's going to happen! Prediction: a "two timelines" strategy.
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

My statement was about Askew.

I assume you are referring to Newell. And yes, I think Newell has potential and if it were my choice he would stay and develop.
SFCityBear
bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

Does he have a chance to set a record for a former Cal player in most teams played for and the most times he was granted a year of eligibility?
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
3Cats4CAL said:

Johnfox said:

I don't remember anyone doing that. Mark McNamara was the closest, geographically speaking, as he transferred from Santa Clara to Cal. Away from sports, depending on one's major, a degree from Cal can open a lot of doors, a degree from Stanford even more doors. Stanford should be in the Ivy League. The ACC isn't Ivy, but Stanford will be on the East Coast which is close to some Ivy schools, again geographically speaking. I gave up following them when they were no longer Indians, and were led by that silly tree.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I agree with everything here, except Askew is a 6-3 combo guard and coaching him up would have to include extending his frame at least 5", up to 6'-8" or more, and adding more weight and strength. Also need to add an array of interior offensive and defensive skills, with less than a year to do it. That would be quite a stretch.
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

Does he have a chance to set a record for a former Cal player in most teams played for and the most times he was granted a year of eligibility?
Gotta be DeJuan "Medicare" Clayton.
barsad
Johnfox said:

What would it take to get these two, what is the selling point? Is it possible this move to the portal is just a hedge while they wait to see who the new coach is, and they'll go back if they like what they see?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.