Portal Needs

32,557 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by parentswerebears
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskiswifeshusband said:

He could not have been happy with losing a starting role and/or his minutes decreasing. Fact is he did not bring enough to put Celestine on the bench. Not easy to ride the pine, except nowadays they ride folding metal chairs. At least there are no splinters. He seemed to play hard. I wish him well.
SFCityBear
01Bear
SFCityBear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

He could not have been happy with losing a starting role and/or his minutes decreasing. Fact is he did not bring enough to put Celestine on the bench. Not easy to ride the pine, except nowadays they ride folding metal chairs. At least there are no splinters. He seemed to play hard. I wish him well.

Sorry, my last post was really meant to refer to losing Grant Newell being a big loss. While losing Devin Askew would be tough, it was something that I'm certain Madsen could've weathered through recruiting. It's harder to replace Grant, IMHO. He has good size for a college 4, (in flashes, he showed he) can move his feet well on defense, and seemed coachable. I had high hopes for him for next year.

But if he's really as you described, that suggests he's not as coachable as I had believed. That's a shame. With good coaching, Newell could've really stepped up his game (and likely turned into an all-conference type of player). But good coaching is useless if it falls on deaf ears.

Good luck to the young man, should he leave. However, I really do wish he stays at Cal and works on his game under Madsen's tutelage. Madsen played with and against some excellent bigs, the most obvious being Shaq. Madsen has a lot to teach young bigs, especially undersized ones, like Newell.
calumnus
01Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

Sorry, my last post was really meant to refer to losing Grant Newell being a big loss. While losing Devin Askew would be tough, it was something that I'm certain Madsen could've weathered through recruiting. It's harder to replace Grant, IMHO. He has good size for a college 4, (in flashes, he showed he) can move his feet well on defense, and seemed coachable. I had high hopes for him for next year.

But if he's really as you described, that suggests he's not as coachable as I had believed. That's a shame. With good coaching, Newell could've really stepped up his game (and likely turned into an all-conference type of player). But good coaching is useless if it falls on deaf ears.

Good luck to the young man, should he leave. However, I really do wish he stays at Cal and works on his game under Madsen's tutelage. Madsen played with and against some excellent bigs, the most obvious being Shaq. Madsen has a lot to teach young bigs, especially undersized ones, like Newell.

Agreed. With the caveat that we don't know who Madsen will bring in with his spot, I'd prefer Newell stayed. Askew leaving with a Cal degree to find another place to play and get a grad degree is best for everyone.
6956bear
barsad said:

Johnfox said:

Stojakovic is in the portal. Expect Raynaud to announce soon.

What would it take to get these two, what is the selling point? Is it possible this move to the portal is just a hedge while they wait to see who the new coach is, and they'll go back if they like what they see?
It is almost always an option for the really good players to return to a program. Raynaud certainly fits in that scenario. I think Stojakovic and Carlyle are very likely gone. Both are rumored to be chasing a bag.
Basketball Bear
Econ141 said:

He has signed with Alabama.
Bobodeluxe
Basketball Bear said:

Econ141 said:

He has signed with Alabama.
$ vs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Big C
6956bear said:

barsad said:

Johnfox said:

What would it take to get these two, what is the selling point? Is it possible this move to the portal is just a hedge while they wait to see who the new coach is, and they'll go back if they like what they see?
It is almost always an option for the really good players to return to a program. Raynaud certainly fits in that scenario. I think Stojakovic and Carlyle are very likely gone. Both are rumored to be chasing a bag.

My brother chased a bag for years. When he finally caught her, they got married.

ta dum dum . . .
parentswerebears
I think Madsen has some magic up his sleeve.
graguna
6956bear said:

barsad said:

Johnfox said:

"Both are rumored to be chasing a bag."

I doubt Stojakovic is chasing anything. His family is far too wealthy to make bad decisions based on NIL.

parentswerebears
I think that he will go wherever his future basketball career will be best fostered.
Econ141
parentswerebears said:

This has a "Carol Christ is working in the background to get us into the B1G" vibe. Get ready for Madsen to bail!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

parentswerebears said:

This has a "Carol Christ is working in the background to get us into the B1G" vibe. Get ready for Madsen to bail!

He just came off a losing season. As with Wilcox, the only real possibility is his alma mater wanting him because his an alum.

Thus Stanford was the worry from the beginning, but if he was going to bail it would have happened by now, he would not have signed the extension and he would have been contacting all these Stanford players to convince them to stay. He's not going anywhere.
parentswerebears
I am not sure where this idea came from, but Madsen seems like an honorable man and bailing after one year is about as dishonorable as it gets. Just couldn't see it happening then and certainly not now. Plus this Cal can't have nice things line is so played out. I hope the success of last year helps fuel legends so that Madsen can make the poor Cal thing go away.
oskidunker
parentswerebears said:

I doubt he wanted all these players to leave.
Go Bears!
Alkiadt
oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

I disagree.
He wants his players. He had to scramble last year with the portal and got some short term results.
The players leaving are not long term developmental pieces for the ACC.
philbert
Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

I disagree.
He wants his players.
I just hope that means he and Sebasta have put together a big NIL war chest.
Johnfox
HoopDreams
Wow, Stanford also in free fall

Johnfox said:

graguna
HoopDreams said:

Johnfox said:

very different. furd is losing proven starters to the portal. CAL is losing bench guys
stu
HoopDreams said:

Also? There's no comparison.

Stanford lost their #3, #5, #6, and #10 in minutes played, total 2484 minutes.

We lost our #6, #7, #9, and #12, total 1347 minutes.

I would take their 4 portal players over hours in a second.
Bobodeluxe
How many returning player/minutes does each have?

Asking for a friend.
chezzers
Are we really going to be able to get 8-9 ACC level players from the portal? All we have right now is Celestine and maybe the freshman Wilkinson. I doubt Tyson will be here next year. Seems like a longshot that we have the NIL/that many guys would all want to come here at once. I hope I'm wrong, but what do you guys think?
stu
Bobodeluxe said:

Asking for a friend.
Stanford: https://gostanford.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats#individual

Cal: https://calbears.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats#individual
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe said:

Asking for a friend.
let's be real here bobo, nobody is reading ur trite ****
Big C
chezzers said:

Are we really going to be able to get 8-9 ACC level players from the portal? All we have right now is Celestine and maybe the freshman Wilkinson. I doubt Tyson will be here next year. Seems like a longshot that we have the NIL/that many guys would all want to come here at once. I hope I'm wrong, but what do you guys think?

I think he was happy to sign an extension because he realizes that this is going to be more than a 1-2 year rebuild.

Prediction though: Sometime in the next 15 mos. or so, we will start drooling at the potential of the roster he has built.
PtownBear1
chezzers said:

I don't see it happening. Not because Madsen isn't capable of recruiting the players, but because I have a hard time imagining there's enough $$$ for 4 or 5 starter level transfer players plus 2 or 3 serviceable bench players. I'd actually be very surprised if next season's team is as talented as this season's team.
oskidunker
PtownBear1 said:

chezzers said:

I don't see it happening. Not because Madsen isn't capable of recruiting the players, but because I have a hard time imagining there's enough $$$ for 4 or 5 starter level transfer players plus 2 or 3 serviceable bench players. I'd actually be very surprised if next season's team is as talented as this season's team.

If Tyson leaves that frees up $1,000,000
Go Bears!
Basketball Bear
oskidunker said:

Is this a real number or you just figure what he is worth? Who has this info?
oskidunker
Basketball Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Is this a real number or you just figure what he is worth? Who has this info?

I heard from a reliable source that was what he was offered to stay.
Go Bears!
Johnfox
Yeah, the donor owns quite a few Boston Markets.
philbert
I saw that number from a tweet by one of the Cal burners. Hopefully oskidunker has better sources.
oskidunker
philbert said:

I saw that number from a tweet by one of the Cal burners. Hopefully oskidunker has better sources.

Info was from a major donor I trust. But who really knows?
Go Bears!
philbert
oskidunker said:

philbert said:

Info was from a major donor I trust. But who really knows?
Then I would hope that the $1M is not contingent on Tyson returning.
Bobodeluxe
The thought of a $million for one more year for a single player from a team with a losing record is simply mind boggling. The NBA will have to up the caps to compete.
bipolarbear
HoopDreams said:

Johnfox said:

Someone on their board called their situation "FUBARed to the nth degree". Somehow that does not make me feel better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.