Portal Needs

32,445 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by parentswerebears
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bipolarbear said:

HoopDreams said:

Wow, Stanford also in free fall

Johnfox said:

Someone on their board called their situation "FUBARed to the nth degree". Somehow that does not make me feel better.

Really? Because that makes me feel great!

(and if it turns out to be a "misery loves company" type of greatness, I will settle for that)
concernedparent
4thGenCal said:

Alkiadt said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

philbert said:

Askew entering portal

I feel like if he had stayed, he'd have been a problem next year, yet by leaving, he'll end up doing phenomenally well and we'll regret his departure. Just hoping he lands somewhere other than the ACC, and has a terrific finish to his college career.

He's not going to the ACC

I honestly hope he reconsiders and remains at Cal. He would be a big loss. I'm certain Madsen can coach him ip and turn him into a solid power forward were he to stay.

I'm pretty sure all these departures were known and anticipated by the staff. They do a complete post season one on one review with all players.
The staff has been recruiting for nearly a full year. Madsen is turning over the roster.
Also back ups(not just one player, but in general) who complain about not enough NIL monies, create issues that detract from team unity.
This is wild. Does an unproductive back-up on a losing team generate more value for the University than the cost of their scholarship, training, food, housing, etc.? Doubt it.
oskidunker
Johnfox said:

Stojakovic is in the portal. Expect Raynaud to announce soon.

He already has.
Go Bears!
philbert
Bowser leaving too, although I think this was expected

oskidunker
Wowsers!
Go Bears!
rkt88edmo
I wouldn't think that someone willing to put 1MM on Tyson would just let it be spent on anyone else. keeping a known good player is far different than spending on an unknown. just depends on who the prospects are.
bearsandgiants
Is there anyone left on the team who was recruited by Fox? Did any of Madsen's recruits enter the portal? I can't keep track of all the people heading for the exits.
philbert
Celestine and Curtis for now.
calumnus
philbert said:

Bowser was at Cal 4 years, so I assume he has a degree plus he has two years of eligibility remaining.
3Cats4CAL
6956bear said:

barsad said:

Johnfox said:

What would it take to get these two, what is the selling point? Is it possible this move to the portal is just a hedge while they wait to see who the new coach is, and they'll go back if they like what they see?
It is almost always an option for the really good players to return to a program. Raynaud certainly fits in that scenario. I think Stojakovic and Carlyle are very likely gone. Both are rumored to be chasing a bag.

Very unlikely but can you imagine all 3 of those Stanford players coming to play for for their rival school and under Madsen?? Wonder how current and departing Cal players would react???
Bobodeluxe
3Cats4CAL said:

6956bear said:

barsad said:

Johnfox said:

What would it take to get these two, what is the selling point? Is it possible this move to the portal is just a hedge while they wait to see who the new coach is, and they'll go back if they like what they see?
It is almost always an option for the really good players to return to a program. Raynaud certainly fits in that scenario. I think Stojakovic and Carlyle are very likely gone. Both are rumored to be chasing a bag.

Very unlikely but can you imagine all 3 of those Stanford players coming to play for for their rival school and under Madsen?? Wonder how current and departing Cal players would react???
It's business.
graguna
3Cats4CAL said:

6956bear said:

barsad said:

Johnfox said:

They would love it.
Big C

This discussion raises an interesting question -- one that is being raised in corporate America and in society at large:

Perhaps it might be best, when constructing a team, to have the minimum NIL be maybe 1/10 of the maximum (those figures can be adjusted...1/5? 1/20? 1/50?).

Not just for "fairness sake", but also for team chemistry: When 2-3 players in the rotation are making multiples of what a cop or a fire fighter make and 3-4 aren't making enough to where they can have a car or afford to have their family fly in to watch them play twice a year, how is a coach supposed to manage the situation?
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

philbert said:

Bowser was at Cal 4 years, so I assume he has a degree plus he has two years of eligibility remaining.
Somehow, this does not feel right.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
Well, you all wanted NIL. Now you've got it.
SFCityBear
stu
SFCityBear said:

Well, you all wanted NIL. Now you've got it.
I all didn't want it. I preferred having 4-year players.
bearsandgiants
Big C said:

This discussion raises an interesting question -- one that is being raised in corporate America and in society at large:

Perhaps it might be best, when constructing a team, to have the minimum NIL be maybe 1/10 of the maximum (those figures can be adjusted...1/5? 1/20? 1/50?).

Not just for "fairness sake", but also for team chemistry: When 2-3 players in the rotation are making multiples of what a cop or a fire fighter make and 3-4 aren't making enough to where they can have a car or afford to have their family fly in to watch them play twice a year, how is a coach supposed to manage the situation?

Seems like everyone on the team should have a full scholarship, which is worth about 100k/yr for an out of state student. If the school can't give scholarships to athletes who work for the school, they shouldn't have that sport.
Bobodeluxe
You people all hate America.
4thGenCal
Big C said:

Key issue all HC/staff are dealing with. NIL packages become focal points to players (and their families strongly weigh in). While the departing players all have basketball skills, there was a disconnect in one's own value. And crazy self evaluation. Then playing time and wanted role to be focal point of the offense/minutes played etc. - all being demanded. Its best for a new coach who inherits a losing culture (acceptance of losing, not consistent practice habits, me first approaches etc) to clean slate and create true team unity. But the moral side is to give as many as possible, the opportunity to change one's ways/improve etc. End of the day, staff is doing the right thing by being honest and wishing the departing players the best for them in their future. This staff will bring in a roster upgrade - its a ongoing process and not all players that will - have put themselves into the portal yet. But you bring up an ongoing issue that all coaches are now dealing with, regarding players 8-13 as in "what about me"? And the amount raised is limited.
Shocky1
^ 100%, 4th gen bear on the money again

adios bad news bears#
RedlessWardrobe
Humble question: Is Shocky the sole member of the Bear Insider Supreme Court?
Just curious.
NarangS19
Anyone have any idea who we've reached out to?
JimSox
NarangS19 said:

Anyone have any idea who we've reached out to?

Good question. Heard a lot about players leaving. How about some news about players arriving? We're gonna need some.
NarangS19
There's an account on twitter called 'The Portal Report' that lists the teams that have reached out to transfers, but I don't have a Twitter so I can't access it.
Ccajon2
Cal possibles:
Dishon Jackson Charlotte 11 & 6. (Pts+rb)
oskidunker
Ccajon2 said:

Cal possibles:

Maybe he can run kick offs back for tds
Go Bears!
Ccajon2
oskidunker said:

Ccajon2 said:

Cal possibles:

Maybe he can run kick offs back for tds

LoL. But the site is a pita to read too many ads, need to pay $$200+ for a yearlyembership.
Civil Bear
Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

I think Madsen has some magic up his sleeve.

Alkaidt

I doubt he wanted all these players to leave.

I disagree.
He wants his players. He had to scramble last year with the portal and got some short term results.
The players leaving are not long term developmental pieces for the ACC.

Alkaidt, I generally like your takes, but the idea that Madson thinks he can replace 7 of his 8 best players in the portal seems absurd. Is there any way he could even get the NIL funds for that?
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

Alkaidt

I disagree.
He wants his players. He had to scramble last year with the portal and got some short term results.

Alkaidt, I generally like your takes, but the idea that Madson thinks he can replace 7 of his 8 best players in the portal seems absurd. Is there any way he could even get the NIL funds for that?

How can we contemplate $150 million for a practice facility if we can raise $800,000 (?) in NIL?
4thGenCal
Civil Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

Alkaidt

I disagree.

Alkaidt is correct. The players leaving were bluntly over estimating their "value" in different ways, but mainly their demanded role in next year's team and also the amount of NIL they "deserved" (crazy self evaluations not even in the remote ball park.). Good guys of those departing and certainly not a personal critique etc, However with having experienced a previous losing culture, simply put, practice habits were not to level expected, mental toughness when games swing from leads, heads drop and or "will" gives in. and jealousy naturally surfaces (ie not celebrating with the team in the locker room after a solid win etc because one didn't play as much and or didn't play well. Its nearly impossible to meld a past losing culture/players associated with that, to be seamless with new and also better players.
So the saying "addition by subtraction" will likely play out. Now Newell is a loss - but only if He would be willing to accept a lesser role than He expected. Yes its a tall order to bring in 8-9 new players, (especially with limited NIL funds) but Madsen and staff are working tirelessly on all needed fronts (fund raising) portal reach out etc. Having a united locker room and everyone buying into their roles will result in a better roster, with better depth.
Alkiadt
4thGenCal said:

Civil Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

parentswerebears said:

Alkaidt

I disagree.

Alkaidt is correct. The players leaving were bluntly over estimating their "value" in different ways, but mainly their demanded role in next year's team and also the amount of NIL they "deserved" (crazy self evaluations not even in the remote ball park.). Good guys of those departing and certainly not a personal critique etc, However with having experienced a previous losing culture, simply put, practice habits were not to level expected, mental toughness when games swing from leads, heads drop and or "will" gives in. and jealousy naturally surfaces (ie not celebrating with the team in the locker room after a solid win etc because one didn't play as much and or didn't play well. Its nearly impossible to meld a past losing culture/players associated with that, to be seamless with new and also better players.
So the saying "addition by subtraction" will likely play out. Now Newell is a loss - but only if He would be willing to accept a lesser role than He expected. Yes its a tall order to bring in 8-9 new players, (especially with limited NIL funds) but Madsen and staff are working tirelessly on all needed fronts (fund raising) portal reach out etc. Having a united locker room and everyone buying into their roles will result in a better roster, with better depth.

Agree. Unfortunately NIL has changed many dynamics. Chemistry is critical.
I pull for all Golden Bears, but Brown, Newell, Askew, Bowser and Okafor are not long term, or short term answers. These are role players. I trust that Madsen knows what he's doing in regards to talent and team evaluations. Difficult decisions, but that's where we're at. I am looking forward to new additions.
Shocky1
^ 100%, u can't build a basketball (or really any sport) program with bad attitude bears

this wuz honestly the most unlikeable group of players to wear bears uniforms in maybe forever

adios bad attitude bears#
Johnfox
Newell and Askew's were the worst. Tbh, Larson, Bowser and Okafor has great attitudes. Things just didn't work out for ND.
Shocky1
gus yes, the other two no
RedlessWardrobe
My apologies for not having the inside track or access to the "attitude meter."

I thought Newell was a pretty good player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.