The Official BI Caitlin Clark vs UConn Pre Game and Game thread

6,060 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Chapman_is_Gone
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have devolved into such a little b@itch fanboy. What's next? I become a Swiftie?

Caitlin Clark, G (Iowa): The most famous college athlete in America is averaging 32.3 points in the tournament, right at her season average, to go along with 10 assists. Is that good?

Paige Bueckers, G (UConn): The Huskies fearless leader is stuffing the stat sheet, averaging 28 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3.3 steals and 1.5 blocks in tournament play.
-YahooSportsFM

The Moderators have been notified accordingly on the Women's Basketball Board:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wvitbear
Sometimes you just want to talk basketball. Especially with a generational talent.
philbert
Where did the aliens take the real Bearister?

Clark is the biggest star in all of college hoops and is worthy of all the hype. I can't think of a single men's player in the tournament.
59bear
bearister said:

I have devolved into such a little b@itch fanboy. What's next? I become a Swiftie?

Caitlin Clark, G (Iowa): The most famous college athlete in America is averaging 32.3 points in the tournament, right at her season average, to go along with 10 assists. Is that good?
Paige Bueckers, G (UConn): The Huskies fearless leader is stuffing the stat sheet, averaging 28 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3.3 steals and 1.5 blocks in tournament play.
-YahooSportsFM

The Moderators have been notified accordingly on the Women's Basketball Board:

I jumped on her fan wagon last year and I've always been pretty resistive to watching any form of women's BB. As much as her shooting prowess, I love her passing, especially those long downcourt dimes that are right on the money or the through traffic bounce passes that seem to have eyes. Another aspect of her game that gets little mention: she seems tireless in spite of playing nearly every minute at full intensity (OK, not so much on D) and in nearly constant motion. This is an amazingly well conditioned athlete in almost constant command of her ample skills.
bearister
Just to see someone play at that level with old school fundamentals without traveling is delightful(which in the men's game is so often the only reason the player scored and the only reason the player is fouled…because how do you continue to guard a player who picks up his dribble and runs 3 steps into you?)

In other news, 2 officiating no calls in the Dance that make me want to discharge a firearm like Elvis, in both the Men's and Women's games, is not calling a foul when the alleged shot blocker rams the body hard of the O player and when they call it a steal when the defensive player rams into the side of the O player. In both cases there would be no block or steal but for the hard body ramming.

bear2034

Regular season NBA is not watchable. I need me some women's basketball.
concordtom
philbert said:

Where did the aliens take the real Bearister?

Clark is the biggest star in all of college hoops and is worthy of all the hype. I can't think of a single men's player in the tournament.

How about the big fat guy with great hands from NC State?
He can't run or jump, but has the magic touch and everything hi flips up goes in. It was magical in the last round when I saw him !
concordtom
1. Are we sick of the Jack Nicholson laughing video by now?

2. It's Paige Buekers vs Caitlyn Clark !
Read here:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-iowas-caitlin-clark-playing-205047705.html

I previously said Paige would get the better of it. And you said you'd give me $400 after I was shown to be right.
concordtom
bearister said:

Just to see someone play at that level with old school fundamentals without traveling is delightful(which in the men's game is so often the only reason the player scored and the only reason the player is fouled…because how do you continue to guard a player who picks up his dribble and runs 3 steps into you?)

In other news, 2 officiating no calls in the Dance that make me want to discharge a firearm like Elvis, in both the Men's and Women's games, is not calling a foul when the alleged shot blocker rams the body hard of the O player and when they call it a steal when the defensive player rams into the side of the O player. In both cases there would be no block or steal but for the hard body ramming.

Did you see my traveling thread?
Everyone is doing it, and no ref is calling it.
Clark did it, too.
TRAVELING!!

If you come to a stop and start pivoting around looking for something, you can't lift your pivot foot unless it's at the same time as the other. No lanky stretches into a layup! It's ridiculous, what's going on?!?!
concordtom
bearister said:

…in both the Men's and Women's games, is not calling a foul when the alleged shot blocker rams the body hard of the O player and when they call it a steal when the defensive player rams into the side of the O player. In both cases there would be no block or steal but for the hard body ramming.

Sounds like you may have a sexual problem?
Or am I just a perv?

"Hard body ramming." I've never heard that mixed with basketball.
bearister
Based on your hoop analysis, the list of stuff you haven't heard of related to basketball is lengthy….and yes, it's that you are a perv.
bearister
concordtom
If that turns you on, bubba, go for it.

I tell ya, I don't think I've ever rooted for UConn before, and I'm not sure I'm going to start now, but if Bueckers outplays your girl, I'm gonna laugh and tease you for some time. You'd better hope Iowa wins.

(I don't know basketball… bahahaha)

It's gonna be like this. Left, right, ooo, ahh, in your face!

concordtom
And if I'm wrong, here's your gif for me:

concordtom
bearister said:

….and yes, it's that you are a perv.

(Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this)

So says the little Irish Catholic boy.

bearister
concordtom said:

And if I'm wrong, here's your gif for me:

At least we know that if UConn does lose Bueckers will spin it as "all part of God's plan" in the post game interview.
concordtom

Why Paige Bueckers and UConn will beat Caitlin Clark and Iowa in the Final Four

Lindsay Schnell, USA TODAY
Fri, April 5, 2024 at 3:00 AM PDT

CLEVELAND You've heard of Paige Bueckers, right?

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder certainly has, praising her the day before the Hawkeyes take on Bueckers and UConn in Friday's Final Four. Bueckers, Bluder said, separates herself because she can "stop on a dime and elevate with her shot."

Bluder's right. And Bueckers' skill and athleticism, coupled with her size (she's a strong 6-feet) will be the difference in Paige vs. Caitlin Clark, Round 2, and the reason UConn advances. (UConn won Round 1, a Sweet 16 matchup in 2001).

Bueckers is likely to be guarded by Iowa's Gabbie Marshall, generously listed at 5-foot-9. Marshall won't be able to contend with Bueckers' size and strength, especially when Bueckers drives to the rim.

Paige Bueckers holds the championship trophy after UConn beat Southern California in the Portland Regional final.
Paige Bueckers holds the championship trophy after UConn beat Southern California in the Portland Regional final.
On the other side, Nika Muhl is likely to draw the assignment of guarding Clark. Provided she can stay out of foul trouble, she'll be draped all over the two-time national player of the year.

But should Muhl head to the bench with fouls, Bueckers will be more than willing to guard Clark, where her length, height and hoops IQ will annoy Clark. She won't shut Clark down by any means no one knows how to do that but she can give her fits.

Aaliyah Edwards will be a handful in the paint for Iowa, too, particularly because she moves so well without the ball. Edwards' mobility helps her draw fouls, and that will be crucial given how important Hannah Stuelke is to Iowa, and the Hawkeyes' lack of depth in the post.

But the biggest reason that UConn will win: They've been here before. A lot. More specifically coach Geno Auriemma has been here a lot he's won 11 of these. As one of the best strategists in the game, he'll have a good plan against Clark. And don't forget that in March and April, no one in women's college basketball knows more about winning than Auriemma.

wvitbear
I thought Iowa had been there before. Didn't they play for the national championship last year.
wvitbear
Also, Iowa beat South Carolina to get to the national championship. Is Connecticut better than South Carolina. If they meet, I am taking south Carolina. how about you?
concordtom
PORTLAND, Oregon Geno Auriemma knows Caitlin Clark is coming for the UConn Huskies.

And with that in mind, he wants to get one thing out of the way before Clark and Iowa match up with UConn in the second national semifinal on Friday in Cleveland: He has nothing against her. Nothing at all.

"Yeah, I hope Caitlin Clark had a personal agenda against LSU," Auriemma said after Clark dropped 41 and Iowa exacted some revenge on the defending champion Tigers in a 94-87 win in their regional final, booking a trip to their second consecutive Final Four.

"I know there's nothing personal between me and her. I don't need to be seeing her drop 50 on us next weekend," Auriemma deadpanned before laughing along with reporters. "I love her. I think she's the best player. Forget I ever said Paige (Bueckers) is the best player in the country. I think (Caitlin's) the best player of all time. I don't know whoever said Paige is the best player."

Monday night against USC which has its own standout in first-team All-American JuJu Watkins, a freshman Bueckers scored 28 points, hauled in 10 rebounds, handed out six assists and grabbed three steals in the Huskies' 80-73 win.

(Geno Auriemma has UConn in its 23rd women's Final Four.)

Auriemma knows the truth about great players: Don't poke the bear. So his comment about Bueckers being the top player in the country a statement he defended earlier this week when he joked, "I've coached the best player in the country more than anyone else in this tournament," so he would know was all in good fun, he said Monday night.
concordtom
Why Clark didn't get recruited by UConn

Like many young basketball fans, Caitlin Clark grew up in an era of dominance for UConn women. The Huskies won four consecutive national championships under Geno Auriemma and at one point carried a stunning 111-game win streak that ended in 2017.

Many prominent women's basketball prospects dream of playing for UConn, but Clark charted her own path at Iowa. She emerged as a star as a freshman and has morphed into a legend of the sport before even playing her final game with the Hawkeyes.

It would be a surprise if Clark regretted any part of her decision to go to Iowa. She's taken the Hawkeyes to two Final Fours and made the program one of the most prominent in the sport. Still, it wasn't entirely her decision not to play for UConn.

Here's the story behind Clark's decision to go to Iowa and why UConn wasn't an option for the former top prospect.

Why didn't Caitlin Clark go to UConn?

Clark isn't holding anything back when it comes to discussing her decision to play for Iowa. She openly admitted she wished she was recruited by UConn, telling ESPN that while she "loved" the program, Auriemma never reached out to her.

"I think they're the coolest place on earth, and I wanted to say I got recruited by them," Clark said. "They called my AAU coach a few times, but they never talked to my family and never talked to me."

Clark was a top-five player in the class of 2020, but UConn already had a commitment from No. 1-ranked point guard Paige Bueckers. That still left room for the Huskies to target Clark, but they instead pursued Hailey Vin Lith before Van Lith decided to attend Louisville.

Clark ultimately committed to Iowa over Notre Dame and Iowa State, changing the course of Hawkeyes history.

Auriemma addressed Clark's recruitment process ahead of UConn's Final Four matchup with Iowa, telling reporters after the Huskies' win over USC that the result might have been different if Clark had directly expressed interest in playing for his program.

"Caitlin is obviously a tremendous player, a generational player. But if Caitlin really wanted to come to UConn, she would have called me and said, 'Coach, I really want to come to UConn,'" Auriemma said. "Neither of us lost out. She made the best decision for her, and it's worked out great. We made the decision we thought we needed to make."

Auriemma added that he had committed to Bueckers "very, very early" and didn't think it would have been fair to aggressively pursue Clark with Bueckers already in the backcourt.

"There are a lot of great players we see coming through high school, thousands of them. You're only going to recruit some. You're not going to recruit all of them," Auriemma continued, explaining that he tries to "lock in on who fits us."

It's safe to say Clark would fit with any team in the country, but it's hard to blame Auriemma for standing by Bueckers and explaining his thought process. Clark could still have a chip on her shoulder when Iowa faces UConn for the right to go to the national championship game, going head-to-head with one of only three players ranked above her in the 2020 recruiting class.

Caitlin Clark recruiting rankings

Rank Player Commitment
1 Paige Bueckers UConn
2 Angel Reese Maryland -> LSU
3 Cameron Brink Stanford, Sonya Curry is Godmother.
4 Caitlin Clark Iowa
5 Kamilla Cardoso Syracuse -> S Car.
6 Diamond Johnson Rutgers ->NC St -> Norfolk St.
7 Hailey Van Lith Louisville -> LSU
8 Sydney Parrish Oregon -> Indiana

Clark was the No. 4 player in the 2020 class, according to ESPN rankings.

While Clark will go down as a college basketball legend with just about every scoring record in her possession, the three players ranked ahead of her turned in stellar careers themselves. Reese eventually transferred and led LSU to a national championship, and Bueckers and Brink are two of the game's biggest stars.

Clark already avenged last year's title game loss to LSU. Does she have one more revenge game in her against a UConn program that didn't heavily recruit her four years ago? Athletes will look to just about anything for motivation, and Clark absolutely has a case to say she should've been at the top of every program's list in 2020.
concordtom
wvitbear said:

Also, Iowa beat South Carolina to get to the national championship. Is Connecticut better than South Carolina. If they meet, I am taking south Carolina. how about you?

I've not seen South Carolina.
My comments are only based upon the extremely limited viewing of Uconn (last game) and Iowa 3x this year and 2x last year.

Bueckers starred as a freshman, no? Then suffered a terrible leg injury? She looked good in the last round, and I saw her doing things I hadn't seen Clark do. Im not very impressed with Clark's layup game, and think she simply gets off by fantastic confidence in letting those long bombs fly. Defenders are like "what? You're going to Jack from there?" It's very early Steph Curry!!

I simply concluded that Geno will
Pressure her the way we see Steph get pressured these days. Then players press and it can all go horribly wrong.

It sets up as a great show, these two top guards!! I commend them both very much.

Imagine if Clark were to come back again next year like Bueckers will - they could meet again in 12 months and a magic-bird thang could get going. Unfortunately, the wnba matchups are not going to grab the public's imagination the way lakers-Celtics did.

I look forward to see them together on team USA!!
concordtom
From Wikipedia

Nicknamed "Paige Buckets", Bueckers attended Hopkins High School in Minnetonka, Minnesota and was ranked as the number one recruit in her class by ESPN, receiving national high school player of the year honors.

Freshman
In her first season at UConn, Bueckers was a unanimous first-team All-American and became the first freshman to earn a major national women's college player of the year award, winning all four for which she was eligible. She led UConn to the Final Four of the 2021 NCAA tournament and set program records for assists by a freshman and single-game assists.
Stanford beat Arizona in the Championship, but the other 2 final four teams? South Carolina and UConn.

Sophomore
Bueckers missed most of her sophomore season with a left knee injury but led her team to the national championship game.
UConn lost the South Carolina in the final 49-64, after beating Stanford.

Junior
She was ruled out for her junior season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
(Iowa lost to LSU in championship after beat South Carolina)

Senior
This year, back in the Final Four

She is NOT going to WNBA, but returning to UConn. NIL money is no joke! Beats WNBA.
bearister
"Caitlin is obviously a tremendous player, a generational player. But if Caitlin really wanted to come to UConn, she would have called me and said, 'Coach, I really want to come to UConn,'" Auriemma said.

I'm pretty sure that was the test Wyking Jones and Mark Fox used for recruiting.

How about this:
Question: Coach, why didn't you recruit Caitlin Clark?"
Coach: "Well, I guess everybody steps on their dick once in a while."

If Clark drops 40+ on Geno in the post game handshake line, she should whisper in his ear, "Sorry I didn't call you when I was in high school and tell you I really wanted to go to UConn, …

….and she should whisper into Bueckers' ear, "God is on the side of the team with the best 3 point shooter."
HoopDreams
That might be a good strategy but can six players sustain a press?

concordtom said:

wvitbear said:

I've not seen South Carolina.
My comments are only based upon the extremely limited viewing of Uconn (last game) and Iowa 3x this year and 2x last year.

Bueckers starred as a freshman, no? Then suffered a terrible leg injury? She looked good in the last round, and I saw her doing things I hadn't seen Clark do. Im not very impressed with Clark's layup game, and think she simply gets off by fantastic confidence in letting those long bombs fly. Defenders are like "what? You're going to Jack from there?" It's very early Steph Curry!!

I simply concluded that Geno will
Pressure her the way we see Steph get pressured these days. Then players press and it can all go horribly wrong.

It sets up as a great show, these two top guards!! I commend them both very much.

Imagine if Clark were to come back again next year like Bueckers will - they could meet again in 12 months and a magic-bird thang could get going. Unfortunately, the wnba matchups are not going to grab the public's imagination the way lakers-Celtics did.

I look forward to see them together on team USA!!
HoopDreams
UConn beat Iowa 2-0 in prior games

concordtom said:

Like many young basketball fans, Caitlin Clark grew up in an era of dominance for UConn women. The Huskies won four consecutive national championships under Geno Auriemma and at one point carried a stunning 111-game win streak that ended in 2017.

Many prominent women's basketball prospects dream of playing for UConn, but Clark charted her own path at Iowa. She emerged as a star as a freshman and has morphed into a legend of the sport before even playing her final game with the Hawkeyes.

It would be a surprise if Clark regretted any part of her decision to go to Iowa. She's taken the Hawkeyes to two Final Fours and made the program one of the most prominent in the sport. Still, it wasn't entirely her decision not to play for UConn.

Here's the story behind Clark's decision to go to Iowa and why UConn wasn't an option for the former top prospect.

Clark isn't holding anything back when it comes to discussing her decision to play for Iowa. She openly admitted she wished she was recruited by UConn, telling ESPN that while she "loved" the program, Auriemma never reached out to her.

"I think they're the coolest place on earth, and I wanted to say I got recruited by them," Clark said. "They called my AAU coach a few times, but they never talked to my family and never talked to me."

Clark was a top-five player in the class of 2020, but UConn already had a commitment from No. 1-ranked point guard Paige Bueckers. That still left room for the Huskies to target Clark, but they instead pursued Hailey Vin Lith before Van Lith decided to attend Louisville.

Clark ultimately committed to Iowa over Notre Dame and Iowa State, changing the course of Hawkeyes history.

Auriemma addressed Clark's recruitment process ahead of UConn's Final Four matchup with Iowa, telling reporters after the Huskies' win over USC that the result might have been different if Clark had directly expressed interest in playing for his program.

"Caitlin is obviously a tremendous player, a generational player. But if Caitlin really wanted to come to UConn, she would have called me and said, 'Coach, I really want to come to UConn,'" Auriemma said. "Neither of us lost out. She made the best decision for her, and it's worked out great. We made the decision we thought we needed to make."

Auriemma added that he had committed to Bueckers "very, very early" and didn't think it would have been fair to aggressively pursue Clark with Bueckers already in the backcourt.

"There are a lot of great players we see coming through high school, thousands of them. You're only going to recruit some. You're not going to recruit all of them," Auriemma continued, explaining that he tries to "lock in on who fits us."

It's safe to say Clark would fit with any team in the country, but it's hard to blame Auriemma for standing by Bueckers and explaining his thought process. Clark could still have a chip on her shoulder when Iowa faces UConn for the right to go to the national championship game, going head-to-head with one of only three players ranked above her in the 2020 recruiting class.

Rank Player Commitment
1 Paige Bueckers UConn
2 Angel Reese Maryland
3 Cameron Brink Stanford
4 Caitlin Clark Iowa
5 Kamilla Cardoso Syracuse
6 Diamond Johnson Rutgers
7 Hailey Van Lith Louisville
8 Sydney Parrish Oregon

While Clark will go down as a college basketball legend with just about every scoring record in her possession, the three players ranked ahead of her turned in stellar careers themselves. Reese eventually transferred and led LSU to a national championship, and Bueckers and Brink are two of the game's biggest stars.

Clark already avenged last year's title game loss to LSU. Does she have one more revenge game in her against a UConn program that didn't heavily recruit her four years ago? Athletes will look to just about anything for motivation, and Clark absolutely has a case to say she should've been at the top of every program's list in 2020.
concordtom
Yeah, it's funny.
But I think Geno has the best reply!
"We picked Bueckers and she was National POY as a freshman."

There is nothing to apologize after that! There are no fails here.
Which is why the matchup should be fun to watch.

Unfortunately, race was injected into the Clark vs Reese contest, and that took away from the matchup, for me.

These are simply two 6' Midwest white guards. Let's see who does better. Wouldn't matter if they were two black players. The point is, there's a head to head aspect.

Reese is an interior player to Clark's guard, so that also didn't work for their contests.
concordtom
Caitlin Clark vs. Paige Bueckers stats 2024

Stat per Game: Caitlin Clark - Paige Bueckers
Points 31.7 - 21.9
Assists 8.9 - 3.8
Rebounds 7.3 - 5.1
Steals 1.8 - 2.2
Blocks 0.6 - 1.4
Field Goal % 46 - 53.4
3-Point % 38.0 - 41.8
Free Throw % 86.2 - 83.4
concordtom
HoopDreams said:

That might be a good strategy but can six players sustain a press?

I just looked up 5 UConn box scores.
Wow, that's crazy!!
3 players at 40 minutes!!

Clearly Geno doesn't have Warriors Rick Scalabrini on his staff!!

Anyways, good point!
So much for 40 Minutes of Hell.
concordtom
bear2034
concordtom said:

If that turns you on, bubba, go for it.

I tell ya, I don't think I've ever rooted for UConn before, and I'm not sure I'm going to start now, but if Bueckers outplays your girl, I'm gonna laugh and tease you for some time. You'd better hope Iowa wins.

(I don't know basketball… bahahaha)

It's gonna be like this. Left, right, ooo, ahh, in your face!

I don't know anything about women's college basketball but UConn and all your hopes and dreams are going down!
concordtom
I'm not rooting for UConn and I really dislike coach Geno.

I'm just saying, wow, Bueckers is talented! I had never seen her play before.
oski003
HoopDreams said:

UConn beat Iowa 2-0 in prior games

concordtom said:

Rank Player Commitment
1 Paige Bueckers UConn
2 Angel Reese Maryland
3 Cameron Brink Stanford
4 Caitlin Clark Iowa
5 Kamilla Cardoso Syracuse
6 Diamond Johnson Rutgers
7 Hailey Van Lith Louisville
8 Sydney Parrish Oregon

Wow, that's low scoring for basketball.
bearister
Wow' Caitlin really…….

…Paige when it comes to assists.

calumnus
bearister said:

"Caitlin is obviously a tremendous player, a generational player. But if Caitlin really wanted to come to UConn, she would have called me and said, 'Coach, I really want to come to UConn,'" Auriemma said.

I'm pretty sure that was the test Wyking Jones and Mark Fox used for recruiting.

How about this:
Question: Coach, why didn't you recruit Caitlin Clark?"
Coach: "Well, I guess everybody steps on their dick once in a while."

If Clark drops 40+ on Geno in the post game handshake line, she should whisper in his ear, "Sorry I didn't call you when I was in high school and tell you I really wanted to go to UConn, …

….and she should whisper into Bueckers' ear, "God is on the side of the team with the best 3 point shooter."

His first class was subpar, but Vanover, Kelly, Sueing, Bradley, Paris had talent and would have been a fun group to watch develop over 4 years. Jones was only HC for two years, but recruiting was not his problem.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.