The domino's are starting to fall

9,125 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by 01Bear
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Lee Dort has committed to Cal! Looks like more of a depth piece that may contend for a starting job.
BearlyCareAnymore
Johnfox said:

Lee Dort has committed to Cal! Looks like more of a depth piece that may contend for a starting job.
Seriously? This is what we are doing now?
anieves
Interesting. I'm seeing he played in only one game this season after being charged with felony aggravated assault. Affidavit says he assualted his ex-girlfriend.
stu
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/11/26/vanderbilt-suspends-forward-lee-dort-after-arrest-for-felony-aggravated-assault/71713939007/

This is strangely similar to Jabari Bird's case.
anieves
This is the most recent story I see on the issue. Says he was going through a pre-trial diversion program and case was going to be dismissed.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2024/01/11/lee-dort-arrest-vanderbilt-basketball-suspension/72111118007/
BearlyCareAnymore
stu said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/11/26/vanderbilt-suspends-forward-lee-dort-after-arrest-for-felony-aggravated-assault/71713939007/

This is strangely similar to Jabari Bird's case.
Beyond stats, this is all I could find in terms of performance from Vandy sources

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2024/3/29/24115457/vanderbilt-basketball-player-report-card-lee-dort
oskidunker
Desperate times, I guess.
Go Bears!
sluggo
anieves said:

This is the most recent story I see on the issue. Says he was going through a pre-trial diversion program and case was going to be dismissed.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2024/01/11/lee-dort-arrest-vanderbilt-basketball-suspension/72111118007/
I was hoping Cal would only recruit players this year that did not have to go through pre-trial diversion programs. Maybe next year.
RedlessWardrobe
Trying to be practical here. Ignoring the baggage, he's 6-10, 245, I like it.
Oakbear
"I was hoping Cal would only recruit players this year that did not have to go through pre-trial diversion programs. Maybe next year."

have to balance the criminal acts against the reduction in NIL required LOL

that said, given the "me too" movement, I no longer assume that the guy is the bad person, more open to the woman is exaggerating or ???
oskidunker
Oakbear said:

"I was hoping Cal would only recruit players this year that did not have to go through pre-trial diversion programs. Maybe next year."

that said, given the "me too" movement, I no longer assume that the guy is the bad person, more open to the woman is exaggerating or ???

Stats are more concerning
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
oskidunker said:

Oakbear said:

I have to agree. All I see in his stats is a big body- not points, not rebounds. Maybe he has developed his game a bit since he last played.
I hope the next announcement is a little less underwhelming.
concernedparent
Oakbear said:

That's what you got out of it?
Johnfox
Is dort going to be our starting center or backup? He has a lot of potential, but it hasn't been proved yet.
BearlyCareAnymore
Oakbear said:

SMH at the last statement, and smh at the trivializing responses of some here that make it seem like they wouldn't care even if they knew he was guilty. I hope that is not what anyone means.

IMO, this is a bad move. 1. This is a significant legal risk. If he does anything similar at Cal, Cal is going to get sued because they knew his alleged history when they brought him in. 2. I don't think the publicity is worth it. 3. If he got NIL, there is a good chance that some are going to shy away from donating if they think this is where their money might go.
BearlyCareAnymore
Johnfox said:

Is dort going to be our starting center or backup? He has a lot of potential, but it hasn't been proved yet.
Obviously, that depends on who else we get. If we don't pull in any other centers, then he seems to be the leader for the role. I would assume this did not end our center recruiting.
concernedparent
BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

SMH at the last statement, and smh at the trivializing responses of some here that make it seem like they wouldn't care even if they knew he was guilty. I hope that is not what anyone means.

IMO, this is a bad move. 1. This is a significant legal risk. If he does anything similar at Cal, Cal is going to get sued because they knew his alleged history when they brought him in. 2. I don't think the publicity is worth it. 3. If he got NIL, there is a good chance that some are going to shy away from donating if they think this is where their money might go.
Frankly, I don't want players like this representing our program. It's made even more puzzling because he's done absolutely nothing in two years of college ball. Like last year he played SEVEN minutes in one game prior to his suspension. He was a deep bench player for a team that was WORSE than us last year.
parentswerebears
Maybe with a fresh start he can rebuild his life and his game. Obviously, Madsen sees something in him, so I'll be hopeful. Just not wowed.
bearister
Picky, picky, picky.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Oakbear
concernedparent said:

Oakbear said:

yes, part of it, people stating that someone did something to them gets attention and some people crave the attention so make crap up, or if someone irritates you, you make up a story.. it happens, as I noted, I used to just assume the man did it (I know most guys are pigs), but now don't just assume it any longer
Civil Bear
parentswerebears said:

oskidunker said:

Oakbear said:

I have to agree. All I see in his stats is a big body- not points, not rebounds. Maybe he has developed his game a bit since he last played.
I hope the next announcement is a little less underwhelming.
2 rebounds in 7 minutes isn't bad.
Civil Bear
concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Frankly, I don't want players like this representing our program. It's made even more puzzling because he's done absolutely nothing in two years of college ball. Like last year he played SEVEN minutes in one game prior to his suspension. He was a deep bench player for a team that was WORSE than us last year.
That was due to an injury prior to the game he played 7 minutes.
calumnus
Second chances.

Welcome to Cal, Lee!
concernedparent
Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

I understand he was hurt prior to the game. The emphasis is on the seven. He only earned seven minutes in a game for one of the worst P5 programs last year. Do you think any real contributor only plays seven minutes in a game even after coming back from injury?
Big C
Johnfox said:

He slides right into the slot formerly occupied by ND Okafor: 2nd or 3rd string hopefully-developing big man
oski003
concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

I understand he was hurt prior to the game. The emphasis is on the seven. He only earned seven minutes in a game for one of the worst P5 programs last year. Do you think any real contributor only plays seven minutes in a game even after coming back from injury?

I do.
calumnus
concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Celestine only played 10 minutes at Butler after nearly a month off due to injury. It is not that unusual.

I am assuming Madsen and staff are doing due diligence. If he is really bringing in guys as bad as you think then his hiring and extension were huge mistakes. Given we are talking about Knowlton, I can understand your skepticism. We will find out soon enough.

oskidunker
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Celestine only played 10 minutes at Butler after nearly a month off due to injury. It is not that unusual.

I am assuming Madsen and staff are doing due diligence. If he is really bringing in guys as bad as you think then his hiring and extension were huge mistakes. Given we are talking about Knowlton, I can understand your skepticism. We will find out soon enough.

We need 10 players. The teally good ones want big bucks. They wont sign for a while. I doubt any of these guys are starters.
Go Bears!
Big C

It's early yet. Very early, in fact. But at this point, the title of this thread constitutes some pretty decent sarcasm.
sosheezy
Big C said:

It's early yet. Very early, in fact. But at this point, the title of this thread constitutes some pretty decent sarcasm.
Hopefully we Avoid The Noid with this pickup
concernedparent
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Fair enough. I understand this is a depth piece with potential upside. We will just have to see if Madsen can evaluate unproven talent.
oskidunker
concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Fair enough. I understand this is a depth piece with potential upside. We will just have to see if Madsen can evaluate unproven talent.

Furd espionage?
Go Bears!
6956bear
concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Civil Bear said:

concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Well he is likely counting on assistant coach Mazarei who recruited him to Vandy and was part of the Vandy staff during Dort"s frosh season.

He can speak to his ability and character.
Alkiadt
concernedparent said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

Oakbear said:

Nobody here is familiar with his background or the charges. But from what has been posted by others on this full site ( read; Premium) no way Madsen or Cal's administration accepts his transfer without due diligence. If anything Cal would bend over backwards to make sure they're not admitting someone who is going to be challenged publicly. This isn't Arizona or Kentucky. Let's not jump to conclusions.
edwinbear
Oakbear said:

concernedparent said:

Oakbear said:

yes, part of it, people stating that someone did something to them gets attention and some people crave the attention so make crap up, or if someone irritates you, you make up a story.. it happens, as I noted, I used to just assume the man did it (I know most guys are pigs), but now don't just assume it any longer

Agree with this take. I also used to assume a story was true based on headlines, but now no longer don't, and for all the reasons you stated as well about people making **** up. Also, police falsely arrest people all the time too. If he was arrested and then after due diligence the charges were dropped, and even if he did go to court and was found not guilty, that's good enough for me. Screw this cancel culture of denying opportunities or second chances to people because you think you know everything about someone based off a headline.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.