Shoplifting Bruins!!!????

20,896 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by stu
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

So what is the big deal here? It's Westwood. It's UCLA.

Here is an incident from 1966, reported again in the LA Times, October 11, 1997:

"Forward Mike Lynn, about to begin his senior campaign, was suspended for a season after being charged with (and later convicted of) illegal use of a stolen credit card a few days before the 1966-67 opener. He came back to play in the 1967-68 season."

Some things never change.

Could have been worse....like stealing candy from a vending machine http://www2.kusports.com/news/2003/jan/29/arizona_investigating_candy/
SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

Here is an incident from 1966, reported again in the LA Times, October 11, 1997:

"Forward Mike Lynn, about to begin his senior campaign, was suspended for a season after being charged with (and later convicted of) illegal use of a stolen credit card a few days before the 1966-67 opener. He came back to play in the 1967-68 season."

The Jesuit response would be suspension for the season even if it meant losing every game. The Christian Brothers' response would be "Well, boys will be boys, they didn't really mean to steal."
Here is the article, where you can read about Wooden's responses to some incidents:

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/oct/11/sports/sp-41682

bearister
The one weird thing about the Wizard, however, was that as the coach of the Bruins he used to trash talk opposing players as they went by him on the bench during play. A friend and business colleague who played for Cal in the 1950's told me about this more than 30 years ago. I then independently verified it by doing some research. It is a real head scratcher.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ducky23
bearister said:

The one weird thing about the Wizard, however, was that as the coach of the Bruins he used to trash talk opposing players as they went by him on the bench during play. A friend and business colleague who played for Cal in the 1950's told me about this more than 30 years ago. I then independently verified it by doing some research. It is a real head scratcher.
I'm super curious what trash talk sounded like in the 1950's
bearister
Well, the trash talking lasted from 1948-1975 so I am sure he evolved and always kept current.
bear2034
Student section is going to be brutal when Ruins visit.

concordtom
MSaviolives said:

SFCityBear said:

Could have been worse....like stealing candy from a vending machine http://www2.kusports.com/news/2003/jan/29/arizona_investigating_candy/

As a frosh, the coin box for a video game or laundry machine was left open, we discovered while drunk one night on the downstairs building floor.

Back upstairs in the dorm bedroom, I constructed the perfect snare, a 10" inch stick with sticky gum on the end which could poke and retrieve quarters 1 at a time. I think we earned about 15 bucks that night.

Now I shiver a bit to think of the potential consequences. It could have been more than "hey, stop that!"
concordtom
oskirules said:

Not if they are still in China.
ncbears
ESPN claims coercion
ESPN reports suggests Chinese police told the players to "tell the truth" or they were not going to get free.
PalyBear
oskirules said:

Cal-Vuitton sunglasses give away to the first 5,000 attendees?
EricBear
Staff
What doesn't seem to be getting enough discussion in this story is the concept of two teams of "student"-athletes missing a week of school for a basketball game in China. A "branding" exercise for UCLA/Pac-12. Can't they do this over the summer during one of those tours every team takes every few years?

And people wonder why kids/families of revenue sport athletes are looking to be compensated somehow.
Blueblood
These three clowns will not play in their upcoming game against GTECH and will most likely be
asked to leave the country, post haste.
6956bear
Blueblood said:

These three clowns will not play in their upcoming game against GTECH and will most likely be
Actually it seems they will stay behind until the Chinese authorities decide if charges will indeed be filed. So for now it appears that the rest of the UCLA contingent will depart on Saturday and the 3 accused players will remain behind in the hotel until the legal system decides the next step. It is expected to be a period of around 30 days or so.
calumnus
6956bear said:

Blueblood said:

Actually it seems they will stay behind until the Chinese authorities decide if charges will indeed be filed. So for now it appears that the rest of the UCLA contingent will depart on Saturday and the 3 accused players will remain behind in the hotel until the legal system decides the next step. It is expected to be a period of around 30 days or so.

Even if released after a month, I'd think they would have to take an incomplete or two this quarter and would not be academically eligible to play the rest of the year.
NYCGOBEARS
6956bear said:

Blueblood said:

Who's gonna pay that hotel bill?
stu
calumnus said:

Even if released after a month, I'd think they would have to take an incomplete or two this quarter and would not be academically eligible to play the rest of the year.

I'm not sure they had planned to attend class anyway.
Bobodeluxe
calumnus said:

6956bear said:

Blueblood said:

Nah. Their tutors are still here, in country. No papers or tests will be missed.
bearister
Lonzo was asked about it and he said "My people over there are taking care of it."
bearister
concordtom said:

oskirules said:

I'm pretty sure it is pronounced GHI NA!
wcbears
The Christian Brothers I had would have knocked them into next school year. Not all CB schools have lax standards.
bearister
wcbears said:

The Christian Brothers I had would have knocked them into next school year. Not all CB schools have lax standards.

That is good to hear and I don't doubt you. BTW the quote I attribute to a CB is my eyewitness account. The Jesuit examples are USF ending the hoop program after QD's sexual assault and Santa Clara suspending Kevin Foster (the Bay Area All Time D-1 Scoring Leader) for the year after a DUI after which they lost every game.
Eastern Oregon Bear
In light of recent events, Under Armour may want to think about renaming these shoes.

UCLA Bruins Under Armour Bandit Shoes
concordtom
EricBear said:

What doesn't seem to be getting enough discussion in this story is the concept of two teams of "student"-athletes missing a week of school for a basketball game in China. A "branding" exercise for UCLA/Pac-12. Can't they do this over the summer during one of those tours every team takes every few years?

And people wonder why kids/families of revenue sport athletes are looking to be compensated somehow.

Excellent point.
More hypocrisy!
concordtom
bearister said:

concordtom said:

oskirules said:

I'm pretty sure it is pronounced GHI NA!

The "va" is silent!
concordtom
NYCGOBEARS said:

6956bear said:

Blueblood said:

Who's gonna pay that hotel bill?

A ucla booster.
Then the NCAA will announce it was an extra-benefit and suspend all 3 players for rest of season.
BeachedBear
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a use for taller participants in the prison labor program....
PtownBear1
BeachedBear said:

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a use for taller participants in the prison labor program....
Tree trimming
SFCityBear
oskirules said:

The student section as currently configured on the length of the court on one side, about 800 seats, only a few rows deep, makes for rather impotent support. It is so thin top to bottom that not much volume of sound is generated, as opposed to the pre-Haas rooting section which was the entire west side of the gym, centered at the half court line and extending up to the roof. That was loud.

Today, the students are divided into two sections, the aforementioned one, and the section behind one basket. Very hard to organize and coordinate the rooting.

As near as I can tell from watching games on TV, most arenas are configured in a similar way. The game is being played for people who will pay more money for their seats, with a ticket structure and seat comfort that favors the well-heeled elite alumni and fans. The game is no longer played primarily for the students, and their role now seems to be a token participation, including various TV spots showing the more enthusiastic colorful rooters in team colors performing for the camera, reminding the TV audience that the game being played was actually a school event, not a pro game. Other than that, the game is being played for older adults, not the college kids.

I suppose it had to happen, as more and more people graduated college, and became more affluent and looking for different kinds of entertainment. There was more demand for tickets, and larger arenas were built, but as time went by, students became relegated to fewer and fewer seats, and lost much of their premium seating.

In the '50s and '60s, the Cal rooting section completely filled the western side of the Harmon Gym, from the floor to the roof, with the straw hat band down front at court side up to a point about 15-20 rows up. That gave them great focus, and loud volume. Sitting in that rooting section was a privilege, and I don't remember why, but I seldom was able to sit in that section, and usually sat behind the baskets or on the corners. Maybe I was too late to get a rooting section seat. I wish all students could have had the experience games played with a big, energetic, focused, loud rooting section. Today, that section is a shadow of its former self, and I find that to be one change in basketball that is sad to me.

EricBear
Staff
Seth Greenberg and Dan Dakich weigh in on UCLA debacle:

http://pc-cdn.espnradio.com/audio/303/2117/7037/3422420/courtside_2017-11-09-132220-8006-0-1-0.64k.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=bba6556cf4a855cf8bd6396b13b9e284&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Flos-angeles%2F&wuuid=5a04abc9741326d690d08867d42d9f4b2657a8576298b85b
glutton
Here's an interesting story about this case, as well as the case of another American athlete arrested in China:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743394-experts-on-liangelo-balls-murky-legal-situation-after-arrest-in-china
BearChemist
"Law and Order"
bluehenbear
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.theroot.com/trump-asks-chinese-president-to-help-resolve-liangelo-b-1820399366
petalumabear
bluehenbear said:

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.theroot.com/trump-asks-chinese-president-to-help-resolve-liangelo-b-1820399366
So I'm guessing Trump really wanted a pair of Big Ballers....
tequila4kapp
PtownBear1 said:

LOL what a bunch of buffoons. Although I'll admittedly feel bad for them if they get sent to years of hard labor.

EDIT: On second thought, they can't possibly be that stupid and Asian countries are notoriously racist. I'll wait for more info before bashing them....
Those "racist Asians" apparently had it on tape, so the players apparently were that stupid. They are extremely lucky to be coming home.
socaliganbear
If this had happened at Cal, would they be kicked off the team? School?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.