Wyking a No Show on postgame show

14,207 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EricBear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsaMajor said:

MSaviolives said:

This all happened after the narcissist, brunette yoga girl, and rescue dog, loving booster walked off in a huff. Just saying....
And he hasn't been at the last 3 games...
I'm betting he's happy to have had the excuse to excuse himself from it all.
His kids are at ASU, the dream school of USF (for his youngest) didn't work out.
So, in a sense, the mgmt here did him a favor. He can step off the bandwagon at an emotionally easy time.
The team stinks.
Just flush it all down that desert toilet.
Cal8285
Looperbear said:

We fired Lou when I think we were 4-5 in Pac10 play, then went 8-1 on the back end of the schedule. But the (contrived) excuse to fire Lou was his abusive behavior.
Yeah, the abusive behavior was a contrived excuse, but to be fair, the abusive behavior was part of the real reason. The real reason was that Lou had lost the team, and that's why they were 4-5 in conference play. He lost the team in part because of his abusive and childish behavior. Turning over the spread and abandoning the team after the loss to James Madison? Really? Ripping the team a new one after giving up a 3 to end the first half so they were only up 17? Good ways to lose a team that was quite capable of making the Elite 8 with the right seed and a coach that knew something other than crooked recruiting and saying "focus" and "two baskets and a ball" (but it was too late to get that good seed anyway after the losses to JMU and Cornell and the 4-5 conference start).

Lou did more than those two things to lose the team, and yeah, he deserved to be fired, even mid-season.

Of course, Bockrath screwed up in naming an interim HC when he passed over Stanford's current James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball Jeff Wilbrun to hire the crooked manipulator and inept coach Todd Bozeman, but that doesn't make the firing of Lou wrong.

bearister
Cal8285 said:

Looperbear said:

We fired Lou when I think we were 4-5 in Pac10 play, then went 8-1 on the back end of the schedule. But the (contrived) excuse to fire Lou was his abusive behavior.
Yeah, the abusive behavior was a contrived excuse, but to be fair, the abusive behavior was part of the real reason. The real reason was that Lou had lost the team, and that's why they were 4-5 in conference play. He lost the team in part because of his abusive and childish behavior. Turning over the spread and abandoning the team after the loss to James Madison? Really? Ripping the team a new one after giving up a 3 to end the first half so they were only up 17? Good ways to lose a team that was quite capable of making the Elite 8 with the right seed and a coach that knew something other than crooked recruiting and saying "focus" and "two baskets and a ball" (but it was too late to get that good seed anyway after the losses to JMU and Cornell and the 4-5 conference start).

Lou did more than those two things to lose the team, and yeah, he deserved to be fired, even mid-season.

Of course, Bockrath screwed up in naming an interim HC when he passed over Stanford's current James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball Jeff Wilbrun to hire the crooked manipulator and inept coach Todd Bozeman, but that doesn't make the firing of Lou wrong.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/01/22/cals-former-hoops-coach-campanelli-pens-memoirs/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
UCBerkGrad
concordtom said:

calbear80 said:

bigcocoon007 said:

Coach we should have hired beat us on Saturday. Randy Bennet

+1

1. It's not clear Bennett was ever offered.
2. It's not clear Bennett would accept, leaving St. Mary's.
From what I hear out of Bennett's camp is that he was not necessarily offered but there were inquiries. My sources say he told Cal he wasn't interested. Has a really good gig in Moraga.
UrsaMajor
Cal8285 said:

Looperbear said:

Hey! To be fair, Bozeman also said, "Just play"
KoreAmBear
UrsaMajor said:

KoreAmBear said:

ColoradoBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

So far, there is no evidence that would suggest that Jones is a capable coach. I say this reluctantly, because I am fond of him personally, and I think he's a decent, stand-up guy who is a credit to the university.

HOWEVER, calling for him to be fired now is silly because no one EVER fires a new coach after 1/3 of a season. We all know this isn't going to happen, just as calling Kim Jong-un to give up his nukes RIGHT NOW or John Fisher to sell the A's RIGHT NOW aren't going to happen either. If it makes some posters feel empowered, great, but FACT: Wyking Jones is the Cal basketball coach and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
When did we fire Lou?
Uh, in his 8th season.
In-season.
What part of NEW coach and FIRST season did you not understand?
First of all, I just was showing that a coach can be fired in-season. Second, while I would like him gone I don't think we have any options. Third, not sure why you're being snarky when you haven't been all-thread, but thanks for telling us what the rule is.
rkt88edmo
UrsaMajor said:

And the other famous line "we're just waiting for our chemistry to come together"
socaliganbear
ayetee11 said:

Thankfully he's been telling recruits not to pay attention to this season.
What about his coaching?
helltopay1
more campanelli stuff: He lobbied to be the head of the Pac -10 officiating crew although he had no experience as a referee. he was granted the position over the objections of several people. after a few seasons, the referees rebelled at his rants and incompetence and he left. glad to be of service.
Bisonbob
This the the problem with a 5yr contract is he would have settled for 2yrs, but now the financial blow is too much for Cal to make a change unless the big backers kick in like they did to keep Tedford. The most disturbing thing is even with young maybe average D1 talent they quit once they get down. Any good Coach at the min gets his players to play hard, and with poise. The hope was they would play hard and get better as they go thru the season. These games a suppose to be cupcakes, but this group does not have a chance once the conference begins. The biggest problem with what we are seeing is it will make recruiting harder and they will be playing in a half filled Hass which is not want the Adm needs at this time.
Yogi58
Bisonbob said:

This the the problem with a 5yr contract is he would have settled for 2yrs
A coach with a 2 year contract will never be able to recruit
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

KoreAmBear said:

ColoradoBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

So far, there is no evidence that would suggest that Jones is a capable coach. I say this reluctantly, because I am fond of him personally, and I think he's a decent, stand-up guy who is a credit to the university.

HOWEVER, calling for him to be fired now is silly because no one EVER fires a new coach after 1/3 of a season. We all know this isn't going to happen, just as calling Kim Jong-un to give up his nukes RIGHT NOW or John Fisher to sell the A's RIGHT NOW aren't going to happen either. If it makes some posters feel empowered, great, but FACT: Wyking Jones is the Cal basketball coach and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
When did we fire Lou?
Uh, in his 8th season.
In-season.

Pretty late in the season. Midway through the conference skate if I remember correctly.
February 9th.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-10/sports/sp-1261_1_lou-campanelli
Big C
rkt88edmo said:

UrsaMajor said:

And the other famous line "we're just waiting for our chemistry to come together"
The two quotes I remember from Bozeman were, "played hard" (said after a win) and "didn't play hard" (said after a loss). I remember thinking that he ought to teach them how to play smart, though realizing that that was never going to happen.
Big C
UCBerkGrad said:

concordtom said:

calbear80 said:

bigcocoon007 said:

+1

From what I hear out of Bennett's camp is that he was not necessarily offered but there were inquiries. My sources say he told Cal he wasn't interested. Has a really good gig in Moraga.
I remember reading here that Bennett interviewed for the Cal job after Braun was fired. He supposedly came across as sort of a doofus, which was not surprising, as he sounded the same way on his radio interviews.
socaliganbear
Yogi Bear said:

Bisonbob said:

True, but he didn't need all of it 100% guaranteed. Not even Sonny Dykes' last contract was 100% fully guaranteed. It's dumb.
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

UCBerkGrad said:

concordtom said:

calbear80 said:

bigcocoon007 said:

+1

I remember reading here that Bennett interviewed for the Cal job after Braun was fired. He supposedly came across as sort of a doofus, which was not surprising, as he sounded the same way on his radio interviews.

Yes. Except we all want a coach and not the guy who nails the interview. How many times do we have to fall for the best-interview guy.
UrsaMajor
Big C said:

rkt88edmo said:

UrsaMajor said:

The two quotes I remember from Bozeman were, "played hard" (said after a win) and "didn't play hard" (said after a loss). I remember thinking that he ought to teach them how to play smart, though realizing that that was never going to happen.
We're all forgetting "we showed heart"/"we didn't show heart"
UrsaMajor
KoreAmBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

KoreAmBear said:

ColoradoBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

When did we fire Lou?
Uh, in his 8th season.
In-season.
What part of NEW coach and FIRST season did you not understand?
First of all, I just was showing that a coach can be fired in-season. Second, while I would like him gone I don't think we have any options. Third, not sure why you're being snarky when you haven't been all-thread, but thanks for telling us what the rule is.
Fair enough, KAB. The snark wasn't necessary. As for the firing; yes, coaches can be and are fired mid-season, but I can't ever recall a coach in college fired midway in his first season unless there's some malfeasance.
BearlyCareAnymore
socaliganbear said:

Yogi Bear said:

Bisonbob said:

True, but he didn't need all of it 100% guaranteed. Not even Sonny Dykes' last contract was 100% fully guaranteed. It's dumb.
In fairness, on the one hand we were probably in a position to name our price. On the other hand, he came very cheap anyway. A $5M commitment for a new coach is pretty much squat. There is a big difference between a fully guaranteed contract when the coach is making $3M/year vs. $1M/year.
Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

UCBerkGrad said:

concordtom said:

calbear80 said:

bigcocoon007 said:

+1

Yes. Except we all want a coach and not the guy who nails the interview. How many times do we have to fall for the best-interview guy.
Agree that the job interview is "the sizzle", but we should be more interested in "the steak".
socaliganbear
OaktownBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Yogi Bear said:

Bisonbob said:

In fairness, on the one hand we were probably in a position to name our price. On the other hand, he came very cheap anyway. A $5M commitment for a new coach is pretty much squat. There is a big difference between a fully guaranteed contract when the coach is making $3M/year vs. $1M/year.
That's true. But it would have perfectly normal if we did something like:

Year 1 100%
Year 2 70%
Year 3 70%
Year 4 50%
Year 5 50%

If you're already going dirt cheap, where the other party has zero leverage, AND you know it's an incredibly risky hire, give yourself an out. In a vacuum, 5M for a guaranteed contract is not a lot these days. In this context, $5M for Cal to get rid of Wyking Jones is massive. That's damn near what they're paying to get rid of their much more expensive football coach.

Anyone who thinks this contract was favorable to us was sold a BS line from Mike Williams.
Beararama
EricBear
Staff
Beararama said:

He weiseled out yet again after a blowout.

Another power failure? Gutless.

Wrong. He's on postgame show now.
Yogi58
LMAO at you trying to edit your way out of being wrong.
Beararama
Yogi Bear said:

Figured you'd stalk my comments. Typical
Yogi58
Beararama said:

Yogi Bear said:

Figured you'd stalk my comments. Typical
How about that - the pot is trying to call the kettle black again!
EricBear
Staff
Yogi Bear said:

Seriously.

Interesting to attack a guy's character, wrongly, then try to "weasel" out of the attack when proven wrong. Classic.

No problem questioning coaching, I get that. But I have a big problem going after Wyking's character. Good man and a totally stand-up guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.