Warriors in 5 over Rocket men

16,729 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gobears
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know nothing about Warriors in Asia.
Tell me about it.

(Yes, huge market, I get that.)
Cal8285
Beardog26 said:

Exactly the same relation to Cal basketball as is stated in the post title, which presumably you read before opening the thread.

Instead of sounding like a whiney *****, maybe try not opening a thread you're not interested in and let others enjoy it.
Of course, maybe he's ignorant and doesn't really know.

The series involves Ryan Anderson -- former Cal Bear.

The series also involves Luc Mbah a Moute, a brother of a former Cal Bear and a former Cal opponent from the conference.

The series also involves numerous other former Cal opponents from the conference -- Klay Thompson, James Harden, Andre Iguodala, Trevor Ariza, Nick Young, Jordan Bell, and Kevon Looney.

Cal split the four games it played against James Harden. The first time he played the Bears as a freshman, Braun's last year, the game saw Harden and his current teammate Ryan Anderson playing against each other. Patrick Christopher defended Harden really well in the first half, helping to hold him to 2 points. Harden picked it up in the second half with 20 points. Unfortunately, Anderson missed a key free throw with 36 seconds left in regulation to keep the lead at 3 points and Ty Abbott hit a tying 3 pointer with 10 seconds left off a Harden assist. Neither offense did much in the first OT, but Abbott hit another tying 3 with 1:28 left, the rest of the first OT was scoreless, and there was a second OT. Harden scored the first 4 points followed by 2 more Abbott 3 pointers, and ASU won by 9.

Cal won the rematch later that season at ASU. After trailing by 8 late in the first half, the Bears came storming back and led by as many as 13, still led by 13 with 1:28 left but came storming back with 3's by Abbott, Kuksiks, and Harden. The Bears managed to hold them off to win by 4.

In Harden's sophomore (and final) season, ASU lost at Haas. With the Bears up just two points and 2:13 left, Jerome Randle converted a four point play to put Cal up 6. After the teams exchanged 2 pointers, Harden missed a 3 with 1:13 left that would have cut the Cal lead in half, ASU got the rebound and Harden missed ANOTHER 3 with 0:54 left. ASU never scored again and with 4 more FT's, Cal secured a 10 point victory. Harden had 26 points, but was a bit of a volume shooter, 9-22 field and 2-7 from 3.

In Cal's last game before the conference tourney at ASU, following a nice upset win at Tucson, the Bears got smacked upside the head by the Sun Devils with Jeff Pendergraph leading the way. I try to forget that game.

Klay Thompson lost the first five games he played against Cal. In his junior (and final) season he hit a game tying 3 at Haas with 15 seconds left in regulation to send the game to OT and had 38 points for the game, but the Bears actually won that game in OT by 7, with Allen Crabbe scoring 30 for the game, and 4 of the 5 starters for Cal playing at least 40 minutes, only Richard Solomon getting meaningful minutes off the bench, mostly in place of Sanders-Frison. A good game to be at. The only win for Klay against the Bears was later that year in Pullman, when Klay didn't have a particularly good game, scoring 13 points in 40 minutes, but WSU won by 4 with neither of their 2 leading scorers being starters.

I like watching the Rockets and the Warriors because I can see one former Bear and many former opponents and bring back lots of memories, it is definitely related to Cal basketball (even if I am rooting against the team with the only Bear in the series).
bearister
Klay's shoe deal with the Chinese is worth $80 million.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/klay-thompson-signs-80m-deal-with-anta-aims-to-be-the-m-j-of-chinese-shoe-brand/amp/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
Bingo!
And there you have it.
He doesn't get that same deal if he signs with Memphis.

Perhaps this is what Warriors brass meant when they bragged, "we are so far ahead of the rest of the league!"
bearister
I thought the lads on 95.7 FM The Game made an excellent point about Game 1. They said it sent a very bad message and set a bad tone for the series for Harden and his teammates to be so passive in their reaction to the Draymond shove. They followed that up by saying the Celtics made the opposite point when they really brought da ruckus after a hard cheapshot foul on their teammate. The Warriors will beat the Celtics (yes, Bron Bron is toast toast) just based on the simple math of having 4 All Stars, but the Celtics and JB are going to BRING DA RUCKUS!
MSaviolives
bearister said:

I thought the lads on 95.7 FM The Game made an excellent point about Game 1. They said it sent a very bad message and set a bad tone for the series for Harden and his teammates to be so passive in their reaction to the Draymond shove. They followed that up by saying the Celtics made the opposite point when they really brought da ruckus after a hard cheapshot foul on their teammate. The Warriors will beat the Celtics (yes, Bron Bron is toast toast) just based on the simple math of having 4 All Stars, but the Celtics and JB are going to BRING DA RUCKUS!
Similar to the Rockets' passivity after the shove, it seemed really weird during the last two minutes in Game 1 when they just seemed to give up. They weren't so far behind that it was impossible to catch up. I get letting it go with less than a minute left, but they gave up too early.
SRBear
Except when Hardin inexplicably committed the foul with like 10 seconds left that got the total to the Vegas line.
bearister
MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

Similar to the Rockets' passivity after the shove, it seemed really weird during the last two minutes in Game 1 when they just seemed to give up. They weren't so far behind that it was impossible to catch up. I get letting it go with less than a minute left, but they gave up too early.

We are going to see tonight whether my original post is spot on or full of bs, although I did predict a 5 game series and if the Rockets are going to get one game tonight is a likely candidate.
concordtom
bearister said:

... The Warriors will beat the Celtics (yes, Bron Bron is toast toast) just based on the simple math of having 4 All Stars,!

By that logic, the Cavs should beat the Celtics, 2 to 1.
concordtom
bearister said:

I thought the lads on 95.7 FM The Game made an excellent point about Game 1. They said it sent a very bad message and set a bad tone for the series for Harden and his teammates to be so passive in their reaction to the Draymond shove. They followed that up by saying the Celtics made the opposite point when they really brought da ruckus after a hard cheapshot foul on their teammate. !

This is why I fear Curry or Durant going down with an injury before it's all over.
Cheapshots.

North Dallas Forty: "break his leg"

Desperate times, desperate measures.
JR Smith needs to suffer a harsh blowback lest that be repeated!!
Suspension?
bearister
On August 3, 2015, the sports apparel company, Adidas, submitted an endorsement deal to Harden worth $200 million over the next 13 years.Wikipedia
bearister
I didn't factor Klay and Curry going a combined 10 for 30 for 24 points into my analysis.
GMP
bearister said:

I didn't factor Klay and Curry going a combined 10 for 30 for 24 points into my analysis.

I think the Warriors will win the series, but I do wonder when people will stop overreacting to game 1 of every series. That's not true. I don't wonder. People will never stop overreacting to game 1.
Beardog26
Plenty of people will over-react to Game 2's result as well. I also believe that the Warriors will win, in six or seven.
concordtom
Is GMP a new name for grandmasterpoop?
Whatever happened to that guy?
GMP
concordtom said:

Same cat!
bearister
GMP said:

bearister said:

I think the Warriors will win the series, but I do wonder when people will stop overreacting to game 1 of every series. That's not true. I don't wonder. People will never stop overreacting to game 1.

If Warriors win in 5, I didn't overreact. If it takes 6 or 7, I will fall on my sword. My best shot now is for Harden to burn out. If Rockets win, perhaps another 7 month sabbatical.
concordtom
1. Rockets and Warriors each have something few other teams have: a player that nobody can stop (Harden and Durant). In game one, the Warriors' surrounding cast came to play. In game two, it was the Rockets' additional guys who tipped the scales.

2. If Curry is going to continue to look like a role player who can get outplayed by the likes of PJ Tucker, then who knows who wins the series?!!!

3. I'm preparing for a war. Of course, the Warriors could simply have an Oracle joy party and sweep 2 at home and it will seem impossible for the Rockets to win 3 in a row. But Harden has been so impressive to me - watch out! Just like how Warriors needed to watch out for Lebron 2 years ago in the finals at 3-1.

Don't blink.
concordtom
GMP said:

concordtom said:

Same cat!
Why the switch?
Too many caca jokes?
Or it got old typing such a long login name?
socaltownie
I was so impressed how Houston simply turned into a different team last night. The ball moved so fast and didn't stick compared to Harden iso in game 1. Moreover, steph's defensive liabilities showed up last night. Should make for a great series.
GMP
concordtom said:

GMP said:

concordtom said:

Same cat!
Why the switch?
Too many caca jokes?
Or it got old typing such a long login name?
My wife correctly shamed me for being a then 35-year old father of two with a screen name with the word "poop" in it.
calgo430
if steph was 100% the warriors would win this series. my opinion its up for grabs.
concordtom
I realize I'll eat my words at some point that he goes off again, but I was thinking last night that steph is certainly past his prime and that we've seen the best of him pass us by.
Certainly, in the macro, that is true.

The Warriors get older each year. They'll win this year, and maybe even next. But new young guns are coming, and new alliances of free agent stars forming to take them down.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The present is fleeting.
Just ask Lebron.
concordtom
Please tell us, GMP, what was the inspiration for the name?
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

Mods please move to the self pleasure thread
....and please take Ken Buttinski along with it!
bearister
If Steph was looking out for Number 1, he would have flicked it in for the rest of the season a la Kawhi Leonard. It is too early to tell if he made the right decision. We know Joe Lacob watches out for himself pretty effectively. "It's just business, Joe, don't take it personally." That is what Kawhi would be saying if he was a Warrior. That is what Joe said when he bent The Town over.
GMP
concordtom said:

Please tell us, GMP, what was the inspiration for the name?
GrandMasterFlash? I don't even remember. I made it when I was like 16 for some other website. Probably came to me in a split second, and it stuck.
NYCGOBEARS
bearister said:

If Steph was looking out for Number 1, he would have flicked it in for the rest of the season a la Kawhi Leonard. It is too early to tell if he made the right decision. We know Joe Lacob watches out for himself pretty effectively. "It's just business, Joe, don't take it personally." That is what Kawhi would be saying if he was a Warrior. That is what Joe said when he bent The Town over.

Bitter azz Oaktown native goes on rant...
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

bearister said:

Bitter azz Oaktown native goes on rant...

"Next I'm gonna call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' [ fellas] who'll go to work on the homes with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin....I'ma get medieval...."
gobears
The MO to play Steph for years is to grab/push/tug him... Delle, Patrick Beverly, Chris Paul younger days, etc.. He adjusts and then plays well.. (when knee is ok) As was case 2 years ago finals, he could not turn corner thus, D could pressure him where it was harder for him to create space.. .. GSW got what they wanted in Houston.. so, on to Oracle and take care of business.

Not using Steph's knee, Celts lost top 2 players and they are taking care of business in the East.

goGSW
goBears

oskidunker
I wonder why Cook, who can shoot threes and play good defense, didnt play at all. Unless I missed him.
Go Bears!
philbert
oskidunker said:

I wonder why Cook, who can shoot threes and play good defense, didnt play at all. Unless I missed him.
I'm not sure I would call him a good defender. He's pretty short and would instantly get isolated on D by Harden and CP3.
south bender
Weakest part of his game is his defense.
bearister
I'm filled with self hatred and doubt.
oskidunker
Warriors didnt play bad. Rockets played better. More people scoring. Warriors can win in Houston, and now they will have to. Iguidola being out takes away an intregal piece. If he doesn't return, Warriors may lose thevseries. My guess it will be a game 7 in Houston which won't be easy.
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.