Warriors in 5 over Rocket men

16,739 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gobears
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneKeg said:

..I could see Monday night going either way with Houston at home. ....

I have been wrong at every turn in this thread, with that said, Chris Paul is not an inconsequential subtraction from the Rockets' line up. Game changer?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Iguodala is the Lebron stopper. he needs to sit game 7. if Cavs win then we will see how hurt he is.

warriors have been limping much of the season and doesn't have the usual depth. Hopefully Curry's ankles and knew hold up. The fact that Bell played so much in an elimination game should tell you everything you need to know (even though I like Bell).

Harden deserves MVP. Unbelievable talent who can shoot, drive and pass. I don't think anyone does that moonwalk as smoothly as Harden.

The thing about Chris Pau (and Iguodala) is they are vets and legit stars that do not shy away from making the big play. Some of the Rocket's players looked like deer in the headlights

Warriors will win if they lock down on defense, but losing the home court advantage looms large

petalumabear
Adding McCaw back gives them some experienced and lengthier depth @ PG to give Steph a break and not force them to rely solely on Livingston who isn't an outside shooter and Cook who is too short. The physicality of the Rockets and their uncanny ability to hit 3's (except for Harden inexplicably) have pressured the Warriors. I expect a win in Houston tomorrow but wouldn't be a bit surprised at a loss either.
bearister
How many times per game do you figure Harden initiates a drive from the top of the key for what for all practical purposes looks like an uncontested layup? Whatupwidthat?
petalumabear
bearister said:

How many times per game do you figure Harden initiates a drive from the top of the key for what for all practical purposes looks like an uncontested layup? Whatupwidthat?
He's got sharp elbows that the officials seem to think is part of his shoulder...... Frankly, I was shocked at some of the fouls they called on the Rocketmen as much as I was at some that they didn't. The leading elbows being exhibit 1, 1A, 1B etc...
concordtom
bearister said:

What I (don't) like is when he blows by, he throws the off arm as a push off hook. I think you pointed this out elsewhere. It was interesting how the W's seemed to bait him into a couple offensive fouls last game - Shaggy was getting in his grill with arms to side so harden couldn't draw the shooting foul.

But I don't think we get those Harden fouls tomorrow.
concordtom
bearister said:

OneKeg said:

..I could see Monday night going either way with Houston at home. ....

I have been wrong at every turn in this thread, with that said, Chris Paul is not an inconsequential subtraction from the Rockets' line up. Game changer?
I think Warriors are favored by 5, and that must be because Paul is not expected to play or be himself if he does.
So, yes, absolutely a game changing injury.

Warriors have Iggy out, but Iggy is not quite the same as Paul. It would be more like if Durant or Curry went out in terms of value to the team. Whatever...W's have one more player than Houston.
gobears
Curry's previous deal was fair at time.. signed before 2013/14 season... no home town discount... A fair deal for both Curry and GSW. Up and coming star, but injury worries still in play as a major concern. (think of Derrick Rose whose injuries have derailed his skills)

4 year, 45 mil range...

a. pre 2x MVP
b. pre All Star
c. history of ankle injuries

with that said, Curry played above his salary... during the contact and did get well derserved max deal once the 4 year/45 mil deal was up...

GSW bout to take care of business and on to round 4 with Lebron.

goBears

gobears
bearister said:

Because of his ability to drain a step back 3... he has not shot well on his 3's this series (good) he keys off the D player, too close, he gets his hip past his defender and can finish... (yes, he did poster Draymond)... too loose and he jab steps and does step back.. Add he is great at creating contact on his drives..thus, defender has to keep arms away from his body, but GSW have not taken the bait... only 7.3 FTA so far in series.. will take that every time...

goGSW

goBears
bearister
If I was Kerr I would leave Klay in and let refs foul him out in 1st Quarter just to prove a point.
HoopDreams
game 7

thompson was 3 fouls half way through the first QUARTER?!??!!!
HoopDreams
seems like two rocket players are going to do all the shooting, except for dunks and open jumpers off of assists from those same two rocket players
bearister
I don't know how to break the news to the Shimmy King, his wife and parents, but Klay is the primary option right now. Klay shooting 71%; Curry 25%.
concordtom
So, the Warriors are playing like total shtt in all aspects of the game.
Turnovers,
Shooting,
Sree throws,
Rebounding.
I am totally disgusted, and if they lose I will not feel sorry one bit for them.
Even if the survive, I could envision Lebron and gang winning, something previously unthinkable.

They are not a fun team to root for here.
bearister
concordtom said:

Turnovers,
Shooting,
Sree throws,
Rebounding.
I am totally disgusted, and if they lose I will not feel sorry one bit for them.
Even if the survive, I could envision Lebron and gang winning, something previously unthinkable.

I hate Lacob but I may have to talk you back from the ledge.
calumnus
bearister said:

concordtom said:

Turnovers,
Shooting,
Sree throws,
Rebounding.

I hate Lacob but I may have to talk you back from the ledge.

The Warriors dominate in FG%, Assists and TurnoversHouston has yet to hit a 3 (0-14?)
HoopDreams
This game is the pinnacle of when you shouldn't say something too early
concordtom
I just came back, now we up by 10? What happened???
bearister
concordtom said:

I just came back, now we up by 10? What happened???

One side raining 3's the other raining bricks.
HoopDreams
Interesting hack a shaq strategy
Trading two for one and preventing rockets from scoring
bearister
No Chris Paul. No chance. No Kevin Love. No chance.
HoopDreams
That was as big a gut check game you're going to see

Game 7 on enemy home court, star player on bench with 3 fouls after 6 minutes, down big early

Warriors core 4 players come up huge in the clutch when everything on the line
concordtom
Draymond did not play well these past games, imho.
bearister
concordtom said:

Draymond did not play well these past games, imho.

His line taint bad tonight if he had jacked 2-3 less threes (0-5).
HoopDreams
it wasn't green's best game, but he had 13 rebounds as is key in everything they do offensively and defensively
he was a +11

in contrast, besides PG harden and SG green, the next highest assists from a rocket was 2

also gotta tip my hat to Bell. I really like him as a player, including when he was at Oregon when others were getting all the headlines

he played 16 minutes, scored zero points, made some mistakes, but was a +17 with 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal. Although you know you're playing in the nba when you take out a player and move him 3 feet back and not get called for the moving screen
bearister
The Watch Party crowd at Oracle tonight exponentially louder than the rattle your jewelry season ticket holder crowd.
ducky23
bearister said:

The Watch Party crowd at Oracle tonight exponentially louder than the rattle your jewelry season ticket holder crowd.

I'm a little disturbed that I'm getting so old as to understand your references
ducky23
The warriors owe Ryan Anderson a ring
philbert
ducky23 said:

that was such a brutal stretch for RA in the 3rd quarter
HoopDreams
philbert said:

ducky23 said:

that was such a brutal stretch for RA in the 3rd quarter
everytime you saw that RA/Curry matchup you knew what would happen
the thing that surprised me is he could never hit a shot in the 5 games he played vs the Warriors

pretty soon all NBA players will need to be 6-5 to 6-9, shoot 3s and defend all 5 positions
truly position less basketball

of course ... up next, two players who can do all those things and more ... LeBron and Durant (and Durant can do it as a 7 footer)
boredom
ducky23 said:

That was not Anderson's fault. His coach put him in that position. Kerr didnt play guys like Zaza so the same thing wouldn't happen. Dantoni saw Kerr buy time in game 6 with some iffy guys and tried it at the wrong time. It's not like RA Hardened it defensively; he tried, he's just too slow. Houston's entire game plan is find the weakest defender and iso harden on him and let him push off and flop so they shouldn't be surprised when a team attacks their weakest.
ducky23
boredom said:

ducky23 said:

That was not Anderson's fault. His coach put him in that position. Kerr didnt play guys like Zaza so the same thing wouldn't happen. Dantoni saw Kerr buy time in game 6 with some iffy guys and tried it at the wrong time. It's not like RA Hardened it defensively; he tried, he's just too slow. Houston's entire game plan is find the weakest defender and iso harden on him and let him push off and flop so they shouldn't be surprised when a team attacks their weakest.

Oh there's no doubt it's on Dantoni. Dantoni made two major mistakes.

First Anderson should not be playing. Period.

Second, once Steph abused him once you take a time out and take Anderson out immediately. It was obvious the dubs were going to iso Steph on Anderson repeatedly while he remained in the game. (Btw i thought the pelicans coach was masterful using his timeouts against the dubs)

The one thing Houston could not do was to allow Steph to get going. Anderson pretty much single handedly ignited Steph. And once Steph gets going, everyone else follows and it's over. Playing Anderson for that 2-3 min stretch was the deciding factor in the game. Absolutely brutal decision.
philbert
boredom said:

ducky23 said:

I was shocked Dantoni kept him in after the first couple of baskets that Curry scored against him. RA's stint was the game deciding flurry.
OneKeg
HoopDreams said:

Although you know you're playing in the nba when you {Bell} take out a player and move him 3 feet back and not get called for the moving screen
Watch the alternate angles on that play.

Harden hooked Bell's arm, then backpedaled and fell backwards, dragging Bell with him to try to make it look like a moving screen. Great job by the officials not buying it.
concordtom
What I learned last night:

An observation I made in the first half was that D'Antoni was always hyped, yelling, complaining. Shaq was then talking to Steve Kerr on post game set after and said (for once) something very salient.

"You and I both played for the great master, Phil Jackson. And one thing Phil always said, if the general don't get rattled, the troops don't get rattled. You didn't get rattled and neither did the Warriors players."

I think in life, this is of course true. Leadership lesson!
Well done Steve Kerr. Even though the Warriors played like crap for fast stretches in this tournament, he remained confident and positive - even after their big game 5 loss he was all smiles and saying they had figured some things out and he liked where they were at.

The Warriors opened games 6 and 7 down 17 and 15, yet it was D'Antoni who looked all panicked on the sideline. Pretty incredible, actually.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.