Jabari Bird on Celtics summer league roster

8,789 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
LOUMFSG2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last night he played 27 minutes, scored 14 points (6-10 FG), had a team-high 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover, and a team-best +19 against the Sixers.
south bender
Thanks for the update.

Here's cheering for Jabari! He appears to be a late blooming talent, while he has always been an exemplary young man.
LOUMFSG2
Yes, I'd love to see Jabari get an opportunity for a real role with the Celts. He's generally performed well when given the chance, but the Celtics have a crowded roster, it's going to be hard for him to carve out playing time. He's an easy guy to root for, I hope he gets his shot
LOUMFSG2
Here are some highlights:

What's cool is to see Sam Singer and Ty Wallace respond to the tweet. They definitely keep track of each other
calumnus
south bender said:

Thanks for the update.

Here's cheering for Jabari! He appears to be a late blooming talent, while he has always been an exemplary young man.

Backhanded complliment? "Late blooming" talent but "a good guy."?

Jabari Bird waa a McDonald's All American, ranked one of the top players in the country (and second in the state) coning out of high school. He is the type of multitalented "glue" player (smart, unselfish, can shoot, drive, pass, rebound, defend...) that excels when surrounded by other great talent. Unfortunately injuries (especially), surrounding talent and coaching scheme limited his effectiveness at Cal, but he is not a "late blooming talent," he has always had it, even if we did not to see it as much as we would have liked at Cal.

concordtom
Jabari is looking like maybe the most active guy for Boston in summer league, though he didn't shoot from 3 in this game Saturday.
32 mins
24 pts
9-17 FG
6-6 FT
3 rebs, 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 assist, 1 foul.
I'm picturing lots of slashes. That'll come in summer and dog days of NBA games. Can soak up lots of mins and pts that way, but he needs to hit the 3-ball for when defenses tighten up if he wants to get a real contract, no?

http://www.nba.com/games/20180707/BOSDEN#/boxscore
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

south bender said:

Thanks for the update.

Jabari Bird waa a McDonald's All American, ranked one of the top players in the country (and second in the state) coning out of high school. He is the type of multitalented "glue" player (smart, unselfish, can shoot, drive, pass, rebound, defend...) that excels when surrounded by other great talent. Unfortunately injuries (especially), surrounding talent and coaching scheme limited his effectiveness at Cal, but he is not a "late blooming talent," he has always had it, even if we did not to see it as much as we would have liked at Cal.

Bird (one of my fav cal players) Gita lot stronger, greatly improved his defense and court vision, and only developed his slashing game in his junior and senior years (before than he had a weak handle so he was only a shooter).

Also as you point out, injures hurt his development.

south bender
calumnus said:

south bender said:

Thanks for the update.

I did not mean to disparage Jabari in any way. For whatever reasons, including, of course, injuries, he is looking better right now, playing against better talent, than he ever did at Cal.
Econ141
Cal needs to stop recruiting 5* for its own reputation. Right now we are where 5* talent goes to not improve.

For the sake of their careers we should stay away from 5* until we can prove we can coach anyone up. JHD, Sueing, and McNeil are tremendous opportunities to do that but let's actually do that first. I feel like Cal did a big disservice to bird, Rabb, and Brown. Worst part is that all three are exceptional individuals. What a wasted opportunity for Cal.
concordtom
fat_slice said:

Cal needs to stop recruiting 5* for its own reputation. Right now we are where 5* talent goes to not improve.

For the sake of their careers we should stay away from 5* until we can prove we can coach anyone up. JHD, Sueing, and McNeil are tremendous opportunities to do that but let's actually do that first. I feel like Cal did a big disservice to bird, Rabb, and Brown. Worst part is that all three are exceptional individuals. What a wasted opportunity for Cal.
Give me a break!
And give yourself a reality check while you're at it.

Please go to this link and scroll down until you find a Cal guy who is currently playing in NBA summer league. Then consider ALL the names above and recognize that so many of those names are completely unknown and likely out of basketball altogether. Then click on 2013 and find the Cal guy who is leading his team in scoring in Vegas, while realizing that there are other guys above him that can't claim such success.

How about Crabbe or Ryan Anderson?
There are dudes ranked above them in their years I have never heard of.

It's not a sure thing, and very difficult to get to the top.
Econ141
concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Give me a break!

Please go to this link and scroll down until you find a Cal guy who is currently playing in NBA summer league. Then consider ALL the names above and recognize that so many of those names are completely unknown and likely out of basketball altogether. Then click on 2013 and find the Cal guy who is leading his team in scoring in Vegas, while realizing that there are other guys above him that can't claim such success.

I get what you're saying but here's the deal - the three recent 5* at Cal have played relatively better in the NBA than at Cal. That can mean that NBA folks saw their potential and they are now in synch or that they saw their potential and knew that they weren't being used the right way. Jabari Bird was here for four years. I want the team to win as much as you do but we didn't raise the draft status of any of these guys and probably brought them lower.
calumnus
fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Give me a break!

I get what you're saying but here's the deal - the three recent 5* at Cal have played relatively better in the NBA than at Cal. That can mean that NBA folks saw their potential and they are now in synch or that they saw their potential and knew that they weren't being used the right way. Jabari Bird was here for four years. I want the team to win as much as you do but we didn't raise the draft status of any of these guys and probably brought them lower.

The inability to take full advantage of exceptional talent is a longstanding issue at Cal, in both football and men's basketball, mostly due to the coaches we have had. They have been unable or unwilling to adjust their strategies/systems year to year, or think outside the box, to do so. When we went Run and Shoot with Kapp, we had maybe our best player, TE, David Lewis, on the bench. A good coach figures out how to get him on the field. One of the major differences between Cal and USC in 2004 was Pete Caroll did inventive things to get his talented freshman, Reggie Bush, on the field, playing slot, returning kick, but Tedford just had Marshawn and Forsett back up Arrington at RB. In basketball, Braun took a team with tremendous size and talent: Ryan Anderson, Devon Hardin, Harper Kamp, Jordan Wilkes, Jamaal Boykin, Patrick Christopher and Jerome Randall to second to last place by playing small ball and starting Knezevic and Vierneisal.
concordtom
fat_slice said:

Thank you for recognizing the point I was making.

Here, I'll point out that
- too small a sample size
- you're dealing with freshmen in Rabb and Brown, yet you want them to come in and immediately raise Cal like Jason Kidd did? Go back and take a look at the list of players annually on that list and ask how many of them raised their team in a way that meets your expectations.
- Rabb was rated #1 as a junior but has been a sinking rock since. That putting it too harshly but it has come to be understood that he lacks skills that would make him a team savior, NCAA or NBA.
- Brown went #3 in the draft and has been lighting up the NBA. That is not enough? You wanted him to not get those offensive foul calls vs Hawaii, and then take us to the wet 16, right? Then there would be no complaints?

There are about, what? 20 5-stars annually and another 80 4-stars?
Yet, how many of the 5-stars end up having the NCAA or NBA career you think is requisite?

Very crowded competitive field. Very difficult.

Bird was a stud for staying at Cal all 4 years, getting his degree, and allowing himself to continue to mature physically, emotionally, and in wisdom. It's allowing him to be getting his shot right now. And even still, he may not get that contract.

The .1% get 99.9% of the income in the NBA.
Ryan Anderson got his.
Brown is getting his.

I guess maybe you're not talking about NBA, but college success.
Monty got more out his talent than he should have.
Braun was good early, less so late, but at least he put talent on the court.
Martin ultimately goes down as a bit of a coaching duffus in my book, and the verdict is still out on Jones.
All that does NOT mean that Cal should stop recruiting 5* because we can't develop them and it hurts our reputation.

Keep plugging away doing the best you can at each step of the way.
Hire the best people.
Recruit the best players.
Coach up all you players as best as possible.
Do it again tomorrow.
concordtom
PS: I can't believe you went all the way back to the run and shoot in order to make a generalization about Cal as an institution not being able to develop talent. How many NFL draft picks have we had since then? A hundred?

I would never say "I can't" to my team, were I in charge.
BC Calfan
What is the best case scenario for Jabari? And for that matter Wallace too.

Is it that a small bidding war develops for their services? And if so, what type of contract could they get? Anything above league minimum? Or is that unlikely?

These guys deserve better than 2-ways.
concordtom
I was going to say that they need to develop better 3-PT shooting %s, but then I looked up Marcus smart and he is only at 30%.

Jabari was 32% in G league, 42 in very limited time with celtics.
Tyrone was 10 of 40 for just 25% with more time with Clippers, and just 24.2% in G league.

I think each team in the NBA wants stars to have space to operate, and their teammates need to spread and unclog the lane. Translation, if you are not a star, you need to be a floor spreader (be able to shoot the 3 at acceptable rate).
concordtom
This article discusses Bird

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/07/08/jabari-bird-puts-show-celtics-summer-league-loss/OmxNoPdRg4ieETlWlPPCTN/story.html
concordtom
From another article:

The 6-foot-6-inch wing displayed NBA promise, and the Celtics ultimately extended him a qualifying offer, making him a restricted free agent. If Bird signs an offer sheet with another team, Boston will have the right to match it. He could also just sign with the Celtics, or if no NBA contract is on the table, he could just sign the qualifying offer and return as a two-way player for another season.

But the bottom line is that every time he steps on a court this week, he is at once auditioning for the Celtics and the rest of the league. In an odd way, it might even be best for the Celtics if Bird does not play so well, because that could simply drum up interest elsewhere.

the Celtics are expected to bring back guard Marcus Smart, most likely on a one-year, $6 million qualifying offer or by matching whatever offer sheet he signs with another team. That would leave Boston with one available roster spot.
concordtom
Oooo. Celtics live on ESPN app on my Roku right now. Second half just starting there's Bird on the floor!
concordtom
J Bird hits a long two.
Made an assist on kick out 3.
Missed the technical FT (but he was chosen to shoot it)
Made a 3 from the top.
Drove around 3 people and made the hanging layup with big man in face, but they ruled **** clock expired before released. I'm not so sure, but there's no replay.

...Celtics won by 20.
Jabari led team with 16 pts and a game best +28 +/-

Mins 27
POINTS 16
FIELD GOALS 7-11
FIELD GOALS PERCENTAGE 63.6
THREE POINTERS 2-2
FREE THROWS 0-1
REBOUNDS 3
1 steal
concordtom
Good article on Jabari and summer league.
He's leading his team in scoring and rebounding.
I like Jaylen's quote at the bottom.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jabari-bird-works-hard-plays-155805647.html
LOUMFSG2
Thanks for posting. I believe I saw that the Celtics waived former Wildcat and fellow Celtics two-way player Kadeem Allen. They then signed Walt Lemon Jr. to one of the two-way spots. Sounds like Bird will get the other two-way slot, unless he gets an offer from another club. Then it'll be interesting to see if the C's want to match and keep Jabari.

As you read articles about Jabari, it is great to hear about his attitude, approach and work ethic. He's certainly doing everything he can, and making good use of his opportunities, to carve out a spot for himself in the NBA. Wishing him the best
Bearprof
Another piece on Jabari, from "Golden State of Mind"

What non-rookie(s) should we keep an eye on?

CS: Current Celtic and former Cal Golden Bear, Jabari Bird, had a great Summer League. Danny Ainge took notice. It remains to be seen what Bird's future in Boston will be. Boston still has a roster spot and a two-way contract left. Bird fits Boston's system perfectly: he's a 6'6" wing, and an athletic defender with a smooth jumper. Last season, Bird played on a two-way contract, and he averaged nearly 17 points a game in Summer League this year. If Boston chooses to go in another direction, another team will take a chance on Bird.
concordtom
This article is more of same, says Bird is the breakout star on Celtic's summer team.
Doesn't look like he'll be a two-way player again this year. He'll be on someone's bench., looking to score rotation minutes.

Go JB!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-summer-boosts-chances-celtics-204521018.html
LOUMFSG2
Looks like the Celtics just waived Abdel Nader. That has to improve Jabari's chances at a spot on the 15-man roster. C'mon Celtics, get this done!
LOUMFSG2
Per twitter, looks like Jabari is getting a spot on the Celtics roster! Congrats to Jabari, much deserved!

Celtics, Jabari Bird agree to a contract https://t.co/AiK64qVWm0
rkt88edmo
Way to hustle Bird - keep it up!
concordtom
Sources: Jabari Bird is signing a two-year minimum contract with the Boston Celtics. First year is expected to fully guaranteed.

So, how much is minimum?

A: http://www.cbafaq.com/minimums.htm

Years in NBA determines scale, per below

0 years experience = $815,615 in first year

1 Year experience = 1st year: $1,312,611 and
2nd year: $1,378,242

I'm guessing he gets 0 credit for the 2-way contract of last year?
concordtom
The very bogus aspect of it is that he's going to go from minimal money earned to the highest tax bracket, and his income earning years are very short.
All the while, he may have to buy expensive dinners, gifts and such.
This is great news, but it's no windfall. His journey is just beginning. May it last a long time!
LOUMFSG2
concordtom said:

Sources: Jabari Bird is signing a two-year minimum contract with the Boston Celtics. First year is expected to fully guaranteed.

So, how much is minimum?

A: http://www.cbafaq.com/minimums.htm

Years in NBA determines scale, per below

0 years experience = $815,615 in first year

1 Year experience = 1st year: $1,312,611 and
2nd year: $1,378,242

I'm guessing he gets 0 credit for the 2-way contract of last year?

...This is great news, but it's no windfall...
Those were the minimums for contracts signed for the 2017-18 season. Here are the minimums for contracts signed during 2018-19:

0 years experience = $838,464
1 year experience = $1,349,383 first year, $1,416,852 second year

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/minimum_scale

And he does get credit for last year (I think all 2-ways count, but it counts for sure if you play for the NBA club), which is why he is getting a two year deal. So Jabari will get $1,349,383 this year (reportedly fully guaranteed), with a club option for $1,416,852 next year (assuming the minimum).

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

And I'm not sure I get the "but it's no windfall" comment. Even if he were getting the 0 experience level of "only" $815,615, that's a huge increase over what he could make on a 2-way deal. I understand taxes suck, and he'll need to support a more expensive lifestyle, but $800k would allow him a wonderful lifestyle and the opportunity to put away a nice chunk of money (especially for a 24 year old), and obviously $1.35 million allows much more. He certainly is not set for life, and I agree, hopefully this is just the beginning of a long journey for him, but this is a huge financial deal for Jabari, and I couldn't be happier for him. He's worked really hard, and earned this opportunity.
Bobodeluxe
It's a shame that anyone has to pay taxes.
sandiegobears
Yeah, he seems to be crying about those "problems" in this photo:

Most Cal grads will never make that much money in 1 year...not that money is the end all, be all, anyway.
concordtom

Jabari was a 2013 McD All-American.
How many of these guys signed NBA contracts?

East Roster

Anthony Barber, no, playing overseas
6-2, 165
Hampton, Virginia
NC State
Wiki: last played for Ironi Nahariya of the Israeli Premier League. He played three seasons of college basketball for NC State. After going undrafted in the 2016 NBA draft, Barber joined the New Orleans Pelicans for the 2016 NBA Summer League. On August 31, 2016, he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers, but was waived on October 24 after appearing in two preseason games. Five days later, he was acquired by the Delaware 87ers of the NBA Development League as an affiliate player of the 76ers. On February 3, 2017, Barber was traded to the Charlotte Hornets affiliate Greensboro Swarm in exchange for guard Aaron Harrison.
On July 26, 2017, Barber signed with New Basket Brindisi in Italy. On November 21, 2017, he parted ways with Brindisi after appearing in seven games. On November 29, 2017, Barber returned to Greensboro Swarm for a second stint. In 29 games played for the Swarm, Barber averaged 16.9 points, 4.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.1 steals per game.
On March 27, 2018, Barber signed with the Israeli team Ironi Nahariya for the rest of the season.

Keith Frazier, no
6-5, 182
Dallas, Texas
SMU
Played 3 seasons at smu. 2016 arrest record. Transferred to North Texas and played barely. Was a grad transfer to UTEP but was kicked off team at end of season, summed up by this tweet:
Attn UTEP twitter: Instead of bashing and saying bad things about Keith Frazier. Say a prayer and wish the young man well, sometimes we forget these kids are human and have issues we can't see nor imagine. Unfortunate situation all around. We Wish him nothing but the best.

Isaiah Hicks, kind of...2 2-way contracts
6-9, 205
Oxford, North Carolina
North Carolina
After going undrafted in the 2017 NBA draft, Hicks was signed by the Charlotte Hornets to their training camp roster. He was released on October 13, 2017 as one of the team's final preseason roster cuts. On October 20, 2017, he signed a two-way contract with the New York Knicks via their NBA G League affiliate the Westchester Knicks. Hicks would make his official NBA debut on February 8, 2018 against the Toronto Raptors. Hicks would sign a second two-way contract on July 3, joining Allonzo Trier this time around.
July 5th 2018: Hicks returns to the Knicks as a two-way player this season. He initially signed a two-way deal with the team last year (Oct. 20, 2017) and appeared in 18 games during the 2017-18 season, averaging 4.4 points and 2.3 rebounds over 13.3 minutes. He recorded two double-figure scoring games, including a career high 15 points and four assists against Cleveland on April 11.
Hicks played 37 games (36 starts) for the Westchester Knicks (G-League), averaging 15.6 points on 57.7-percent shooting and eight rebounds, helping lead Westchester to the playoffs and the top seed in the Eastern Conference for the first time in franchise history.

Kasey Hill, no - overseas
6-1, 180
Eustis, Florida
Florida
SI: "Kasey Hill arrived at Florida as a consensus top-10 recruit. Now (as a senior in 2016-17) he's Florida's main defensive stopper and he's loving it." After 4 yrs at Florida, went undrafted in 2017 and signed with Alba Fehrvr in Hungary.

Demetrius Jackson, yes, similar to Bird but reverse order thus far.
6-1, 185
Mishawaka, Indiana
Notre Dame
Left ND after 3rd year, was drafted middle of 2nd round by Celtics and signed a four-year, $5.5 millon contract, with the first year possibly guaranteed. But he was waved by C's 1 yr later, then played on a 2-way with Houston which was terminated for a 10-day that was short lived while Chris Paul was injured. Now on a 2-way contract with 76ers. he surely has not earned much of that initial contract splash number!

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - YES!
6-6, 205
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Arizona
RHJ was drafted 23rd after 2 seasons at Arizona (by Portland traded to Nets). He's made 4.4M in first 3 years and will make 3.2M this year. His career arc is still upward. Needs to improve upon 24% career 3FG.

Dakari Johnson, yes
6-11, 250
New York City, New York
Kentucky
After 2 years at Kentucky, Johnson was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder with the 48th overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft.
However, he played for D-League team and subsequently earned NBA D-League All-Rookie Team honors. Johnson returned to the Oklahoma City Blue for the 201617 season, and on February 6, 2017, he was named in the Western Conference All-Star team for the 2017 NBA D-League All-Star Game.
On July 22, 2017, Johnson signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder and earned $815,615.
On July 20, 2018, Johnson was traded to the Orlando Magic in exchange for Rodney Purvis. Cash considerations were also sent to the Magic. On July 23, 2018, Johnson and the draft rights to Tyler Harvey were traded to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Jarell Martin and cash considerations.
Looks like he'll earn $1,378,242 this upcoming season.

Kennedy Meeks, no
6-10, 285
Charlotte, North Carolina
North Carolina
Played 4 yrs at UNC and was undrafted in 2017 draft.
Meeks signed a two-way contract with the Toronto Raptors last season.
He just played summer league with Denver, and it appears he will have to look overseas.

Julius Randle - YES!!
6-9, 225
Dallas, Texas
Kentucky
One and done, drafted #7 by Lakers and earned $13,545,962 over 4 seasons there. Just signed a 2-year deal with Pelicans for $18M

Wayne Selden, Jr. - yes
6-5, 225
Boston, Massachusetts
Kansas
After going undrafted in the 2016 NBA draft, Selden signed with the Memphis Grizzlieson August 8, 2016. He was waived by the Grizzlies on October 22, 2016 after appearing in five preseason games. Seven days later, he was acquired by the Iowa Energy of the NBA Development League as an affiliate of the Grizzlies. In 35 games for Iowa, he averaged 18.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 30.6 minutes.
New Orleans Pelicans (2017)
On March 8, 2017, Selden signed a 10-day contract with the New Orleans Pelicans.
Memphis Grizzlies (2017present)
On March 18, 2017, following the expiration of his 10-day contract with New Orleans, Selden signed a multi-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies. On April 7, 2017, he scored a career-high 13 points in a 10188 win over the New York Knicks. In his playoff debut on April 15, 2017, he recorded five points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal while starting in Game 1 of the Grizzlies' first-round match-up with the San Antonio Spurs.
On July 1, 2017, Selden signed a new multi-year contract with the Grizzlies. On November 10, 2017, he was assigned to the Memphis Hustle of the NBA G League. He played that night and was recalled by the Grizzlies the following day. Selden missed much of the first half of the 201718 season with a right quad injury. On January 20, 2018, he scored a career-high 31 points in a 111104 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans.
He earned $1,427,698 last two seasons and should earn $1,544,951 this upcoming year, according to HoopsHype.

Noah Vonleh - yes, but career arc heading down.
6-9, 225
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Indiana
One and done drafted #9 By Charlotte, played 1 season there.
Traded to Portland and played 2.5 seasons there.
On February 8, 2018, Vonleh was traded, along with cash considerations, to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for the draft rights to Milovan Rakovi.
Thru those 4 seasons, he earned $11,944,298
On July 24, 2018, Vonleh signed with the New York Knicks, a 1-yr partially guaranteed deal of undisclosed terms.

Chris Walker - no, overseas
6-10, 215
Bonifay, Florida
Florida
Due to his inability to academically qualify, he didn't enroll until December 2013. When he finally joined the Gators, he missed 10 more games while the NCAA investigated allegations that he had received improper benefits in high school, and an additional 2 games when it was determined he had. In two seasons with the Gators, he averaged 3.7 points and 2.7 rebounds in 49 career appearances, including six starts.
After going undrafted in the 2015 NBA draft, Walker joined the Houston Rockets for the Las Vegas Summer League. On September 21, 2015, he signed with the Rockets, only to be waived by the team on October 23 after appearing in three preseason games.
On November 2, Walker was acquired by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League as an affiliate player of the Rockets.
Huellas del Siglo / Leones de Ponce (2018present)
In April 2018, Walker signed with Huellas del Siglo of the Dominican Torneo de Baloncesto Superior.
On April 28, Walker signed with Leones de Ponce of the Puerto Rican Baloncesto Superior Nacional.

Andrew Wiggins - YES!!!
6-8, 205
Thornhill, Canada
Kansas
One and done, drafted #1 by Cleveland and traded for Kevin Love to Minnesota.
Earned $24,850,242 over 4 years, and signed a $146.5M 5-yr extension last October.

West Roster:

Jabari Bird
6-6, 185
Richmond, California
California

Aaron Gordon - YES!
6-8, 220
San Jose, California
Arizona
One and done, drafted #4 by Orland and earned $18,019,459 over 4 years.
Just signed a new 4-yr deal worth from $76-84M, making him the highest earning Arizona Wildcat.

Isaac Hamilton, no.
6-5, 185
Bellflower, California
Texas-El Paso
Played 4 years at UCLA. After going undrafted in the 2017 NBA draft, Hamilton played with the Indiana Pacers in the 2017 NBA Summer League, and averaged 5.3 points in 14.2 minutes in three games. After a brief stint with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2017 preseason, he joined the Canton Charge, the Cavaliers' NBA G League team, as an affiliate player.
He played with a bunch of other UCLA alum in the soon to be ending $2M winner take all TBT tourney, but Sons of Westwood were eliminated. It is now down to the final 4 with Cal's Jerome Randle playing on Thursday vs Jimmer Fredette. Who know where Isaac will go next?

Aaron Harrison, not really
6-6, 215
Richmond, Texas
Kentucky
Played 2 years at UK, then declared for draft, but went undrafted. Has bounced around the g-league and spot NBA duty but not making any roster stick. HoopsHype thinks he has earned a total of $1,064,952 so far, and most recently he was dropped by Dallas after a 10-day was not renewed. I'll guess he heads overseas next. Or maybe he can land a spot on the end of a bench.

Andrew Harrison, yes
6-5
Richmond, Texas
Kentucky
Also left UK after 2 years, was drafted mid to late 2nd round by Memphis and has been able to avg 20 min per game over last two years, earning $2.2M so far. He is scheduled to make $1.5M and 1.9M each of next two years.

Matt Jones, no
6-198
Soto, Texas
Duke
i never heard of this guy, even though he played 4 years at Duke.
He played last year at Reno and next year in Stockton, both g-league.

Marcus Lee, no
6-10, 202
Antioch, California
Kentucky

Jarell Martin, yes
6-9, 222
Tallulah, Louisiana
LSU
Martin declared for the NBA draft, forgoing his final two years of college eligibility. selected with the 25th overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft by the Memphis Grizzlies. signed his rookie scale contract.
During his rookie season, he had multiple assignments to the Iowa Energy, the Grizzlies' D-League affiliate. Had repeated stress fractures. In past 3 years he earned $3,988,382, and is scheduled to make $2.4M next year.
On July 23, 2018, Martin and cash considerations were traded to the Orlando Magic in exchange for Dakari Johnson and the draft rights to Tyler Harvey.

Jabari Parker - YES!
6-8, 240
Chicago, Illinois
Duke

Bobby Portis
6-10, 220
Little Rock, Arkansas
Arkansas
Left after 2 years, drafted 22nd in 2015 by Chicago and earned 4.2M in past 3 years. Could make 2.5-6 more in next two, or another deal could be struck. This was written in June: After two years plagued by inconsistency, Bobby Portis began his third NBA season by breaking Nikola Mirotic's face in practice. Portis received an eight-game suspension for his transgression, a seemingly bad omen for a player hoping to get his career on the right track.

Nigel Williams-Goss, no
6-3, 180
Happy Valley, Oregon
Washington
2 yrs at UW, sat for 1 as transfer, then had best season so far at Gonzaga, helping to lead them to Final Four.
After the end of the NCAA Tournament, Williams-Goss was one of a record-high 182 underclassmen to declare for the 2017 NBA draft, with him signing up with an agent on the day of his declaration.
Partizan (201718)
On June 23, 2017, Williams-Goss was selected by the Utah Jazz as the 55th pick of the 2017 NBA draft. After playing for the Jazz in the 2017 NBA Summer League, he signed a two-year contract with Serbian club Partizan on August 28, 2017. On February 18, 2018, Williams-Goss recorded 23 points, along with 7 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals and led Partizan to win the 2018 Radivoj Kora Cup after a 8175 win over Crvena zvezda, He was subsequently named MVP.
In 46 games played during the 201718 season (both in the EuroCup, ABA League and all Serbian competitions), Williams-Goss averaged 17.3 points, 7 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
Olympiacos (2018present)
On July 5, 2018, Williams-Goss signed a three-year deal with Greek team Olympiacos of the EuroLeague.

James Young, yes initially made some money, but now kinda a flame out.
6-6, 210
Rochester, Michigan
Kentucky
Young was selected with the 17th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft by the Boston Celtics. On July 10, 2014, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Celtics. He played 3 unimpressive back and forth (NBA and d-league) seasons with the Celtics and their affiliate the Maine Red Claws.
In July 2017, Young became a free agent and joined the New Orleans Pelicans for the 2017 NBA Summer League. On September 6, 2017, he signed a training camp contract with the Milwaukee Bucks. He was waived by the Bucks on October 5, 2017.
Wisconsin Herd (20172018)
On October 22, 2017, Young was named in the inaugural Wisconsin Herd training camp roster. He went on to earn a spot in the team's opening-night roster.
Philadelphia 76ers (2018)
On January 5, 2018, Young was signed to a two-way contract by the Philadelphia 76ers. Under the terms of the deal, Young split his playing time for the year between the 76ers and their G League affiliate, the Delaware 87ers. On March 26, 2018, Young was waived by the 76ers.
I didn't see any news articles about what he's doing now. Maybe something overseas?

superbear99
Really interesting post - thanks for doing that.

One would think that the percentage of hits would be higher but it shows how important working your ass off is to success.
bearmanpg
superbear99 said:

Really interesting post - thanks for doing that.

One would think that the percentage of hits would be higher but it shows how important working your ass off is to success.
You are right about some of the McD's...they start to rest on their laurels and get passed up by hard working kids but there are other factors too....Some of these kids simply have matured much sooner than their peers and of course there is always an injury factor for a few....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.