Jabari Bird on Celtics summer league roster

8,784 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What I've long wanted to do is run a report on the rivals 150, year after year.
People think being an McD or a 5-star means imminent NBA success.
Not so!!!

I'd like to see a correlation between your rank and your ultimate success. I imagine it's high, as in, chances are much greater if you are #20 vs #120. Rather, I suppose, what percentage of kids ranked in Rivals150 deciles reach basketball success (however you want to define that). For instance, I imagine that 95% of kids ranked 1-5 experience success (NBA), and that it thereafter starts to drop precipitously. But what are those actual numbers?

If you are ranked #40 nationwide, that's pretty high! But I bet only 5% of them make an NBA roster.

Anyways, that's why I did it.
concordtom
LOUMFSG2 said:

Here are the minimums for contracts signed during 2018-19:

1 year experience = $1,349,383 first year, $1,416,852 second year

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/minimum_scale

So Jabari will get $1,349,383 this year (reportedly fully guaranteed), with a club option for $1,416,852 next year (assuming the minimum).

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

Jabari Bird will re-sign with the Boston Celtics. Here's a look at the grades for this signing.
Over the weekend, Yahoo! Sports' Shams Charania reported that Jabari Bird will sign with the Boston Celtics. The deal is reported to be a two-year, $3 million deal, with the first year being fully guaranteed.

Last season, Bird was a rookie and was under contract as a two-way player. The signing isn't the biggest news or one that will grab headlines, but it was a move that was deserving and one that could become a sneaky grab.
Bird was one of the better players that played in the 2018 NBA Summer League this year. He played great on both sides of the floor and clearly looked like a frontrunner to land somewhere if it wasn't for Boston re-signing the guard.
Expectations are not high for the former California Bearcat, but he could end up serving as a nice depth piece as the season rolls around. The former 2017 second round pick was never really given the chance last season, but that was understandable because of the players on Boston's roster.
Sure they had a lot of injuries, but the guards were the Celtics' biggest depth strength. Last season he averaged 3.0 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.6 assists per game in 13 appearances. He even was able to start in one game.
He also shot 15-for-26 (57.7 percent) on the season and 3-for-7 from 3 (42.9 percent). It's a small sample size, but one that shows that the Celtics can plug him in if they're shorthanded one night. More than likely, he won't get much time again because of the players ahead of him in the system, but if the Celtics can get ahead often, he will likely be seeing plenty of minutes.

Bird was one of the bigger storylines from Boston's NBA Summer League team. He led the team with big plays, highlight dunks and a strong showing. There was never a doubt that he would find himself on a team soon thereafter.
In the Summer League, he averaged 16.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game. Clearly his stats from Las Vegas and last season are night and day, but that's going to happen when you consider the minutes he was given and the level of talent between the two leagues.
He also had a big showing in the G League this season. He averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.4 steals and 0.5 blocks per game. He's shown great success in both of these lower leagues, but it will be up to him to see if he can compete in the NBA as well.
Still, the two strong showings were a good sign to see from a player that fits the Celtics mold perfectly. He and Jaylen Brown both attended the University of California together, so the chemistry is there between the two.
HoopDreams
concordtom said:

LOUMFSG2 said:

So Jabari will get $1,349,383 this year (reportedly fully guaranteed), with a club option for $1,416,852 next year (assuming the minimum).

Jabari Bird will re-sign with the Boston Celtics. Here's a look at the grades for this signing.
Over the weekend, Yahoo! Sports' Shams Charania reported that Jabari Bird will sign with the Boston Celtics. The deal is reported to be a two-year, $3 million deal, with the first year being fully guaranteed.

Last season, Bird was a rookie and was under contract as a two-way player. The signing isn't the biggest news or one that will grab headlines, but it was a move that was deserving and one that could become a sneaky grab.
Bird was one of the better players that played in the 2018 NBA Summer League this year. He played great on both sides of the floor and clearly looked like a frontrunner to land somewhere if it wasn't for Boston re-signing the guard.
Expectations are not high for the former California Bearcat, but he could end up serving as a nice depth piece as the season rolls around. The former 2017 second round pick was never really given the chance last season, but that was understandable because of the players on Boston's roster.
Sure they had a lot of injuries, but the guards were the Celtics' biggest depth strength. Last season he averaged 3.0 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.6 assists per game in 13 appearances. He even was able to start in one game.
He also shot 15-for-26 (57.7 percent) on the season and 3-for-7 from 3 (42.9 percent). It's a small sample size, but one that shows that the Celtics can plug him in if they're shorthanded one night. More than likely, he won't get much time again because of the players ahead of him in the system, but if the Celtics can get ahead often, he will likely be seeing plenty of minutes.

Bird was one of the bigger storylines from Boston's NBA Summer League team. He led the team with big plays, highlight dunks and a strong showing. There was never a doubt that he would find himself on a team soon thereafter.
In the Summer League, he averaged 16.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game. Clearly his stats from Las Vegas and last season are night and day, but that's going to happen when you consider the minutes he was given and the level of talent between the two leagues.
He also had a big showing in the G League this season. He averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.4 steals and 0.5 blocks per game. He's shown great success in both of these lower leagues, but it will be up to him to see if he can compete in the NBA as well.
Still, the two strong showings were a good sign to see from a player that fits the Celtics mold perfectly. He and Jaylen Brown both attended the University of California together, so the chemistry is there between the two.
Besides the extra PT he will benefit from full time practices with the team and the other benefits of being on the team. That is a big step up from having to fly in day before games because it used up the limited two way contract days
MSaviolives
concordtom said:

LOUMFSG2 said:

Bird a former "California Bearcat." Hmmm, could be the product of Oski getting together with Arizona's Wilma Wildcat....
concordtom
Yeah, I wanted to send the article's author a note and poke him in the shoulder a bit.
By the way, is the "Bearcat" the dumbest mascot ever? What, you couldn't make up your mind between Lions, Tigers, and Bears? Oh, my! Let's do both: the mythical "BEARCAT"!!! The offspring between all 3, an orgy child bred from the imagination of the wizard of oz.
BeachedBear
concordtom said:

Yeah, I wanted to send the article's author a note and poke him in the shoulder a bit.
By the way, is the "Bearcat" the dumbest mascot ever? What, you couldn't make up your mind between Lions, Tigers, and Bears? Oh, my! Let's do both: the mythical "BEARCAT"!!! The offspring between all 3, an orgy child bred from the imagination of the wizard of oz.
I thought a Bearcat was from SE Asia (aka Binturong) - Saw one in a zoo in Singapore. Looks more like a wolverine than Bear or a Cat. Maybe it's the result of CT's three-way.

Along with Cincinnati (which I knew as the Bearcats), Wikipedia also lists the following (as well as dozens of high schools):

Colleges

I guess I've heard of a couple of these places. Didn't know it was such a popular mascot!
rkt88edmo
superbear99 said:

Really interesting post - thanks for doing that.

One would think that the percentage of hits would be higher but it shows how important working your ass off is to success.
Agree, thanks for putting that together.
concordtom
Another Jabari article:

Jabari Bird on the Moment He Says Changed Everything

By Marc D'Amico | [url=https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico] @Marc_DAmico[/url]
Celtics.com
August 7, 2018

BOSTON One moment can change everything. No one knows that better than Jabari Bird.
His moment arrived on Oct. 20, 2017, and as he tells it, that moment set him up for the seminal achievement of his 24-year-old life: signing his first guaranteed contract in the NBA.

Bird's story begins three nights prior, on Oct. 17, when he was at his family's home in the Bay Area, casually enjoying a basketball night on television. He was on the couch watching the Boston Celtics the team with which he had recently signed a two-way contract open up the NBA season with a showdown against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Bird was watching that game on the television rather than from the bench because he was a distant thought when it came to Boston's Opening Night roster. The Celtics didn't require his services, and as such, he was set to open up his season with the G-League's Maine Red Claws the following week.
That plan changed and in a hurry on Opening Night.

Gordon Hayward went down early in the contest with a devastating ankle injury, joining Marcus Morris on the list of injured Celtics. All of a sudden, Boston was down to 12 available players, and it needed that guy on the couch in Northwest California.

Bird joined the team the next day for its home opener but did not play as the C's fell to 0-2 on the season. He also didn't play during the first half of Boston's Oct. 20 game in Philadelphia.

He was, in essence as the last player on the bench, an insurance policy for additional injuries or foul trouble.
But with 6:07 remaining in the third quarter of that game against the Sixers, and with Boston trailing by eight, his moment arrived.

Brad Stevens, seeking a defensive spark, glanced down the sideline and uttered three syllables that changed everything for the rookie: "Jabari!"

"For coach to look down to the end of the bench and to trust me to go in and to guard one of the better perimeter shooters in the game (J.J. Redick)," Bird recently told Celtics.com, "that did a lot for my confidence for him to even consider putting me out there."
And when he did get out there, he made it count.

Redick, who lit the Celtics up for 15 points during the first 27 minutes of the game, scored only four more points during the final 18-plus minutes following Bird's entrance into the game. Bird played nearly 14 of those minutes, and the Celtics outscored Philadelphia by 12 points during that time frame as they tallied their first win of the season.
Just like that, Bird began to take flight.

He would soon go on to build a successful campaign in Maine, where he averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.4 steals per game. Then he opened the league's eyes during July's Summer League in Las Vegas, where he led Boston in scoring with an average of 16.8 PPG.

As a restricted free agent this offseason, he wasn't sure what was going to happen, but a handful of teams contacted his agent about the potential of signing Bird to a guaranteed deal. Boston would soon offer a deal of its own, and on July 26, Bird signed his name on the dotted line.

In a year's time, Bird went from nearly going undrafted as the 56th overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, to fighting through a two-way contract, to earning a contract with the Celtics. He credited his progress to that single moment on Oct. 20, when Stevens called his name.

"I think that's what catapulted me forward to having the year that I had last year," he stated matter-of-factly.
Bird went on to elaborate on why that moment is so important to him.
"Getting drafted is one thing. That's an honor. Playing Summer League and having some good games, that's one thing," he said. "But when you do it in an NBA game, regular season, road game, hostile environment, like it just felt like I really belong at this level. Moving forward, I just knew: I'm here for a reason."
The Celtics agreed, and that's why Bird is now here to stay. Still, challenges lie ahead.

Bird, who was recently told by teammate Aron Baynes that he's still a rookie, understands that he's looking up at a loaded roster, particularly at his position. He plans to use the lessons he learned by observing one of his friends last season to navigate such circumstances.

"One guy that I watched a lot last year was Semi (Ojeleye)," Bird said of his teammate. "There were moments when he played 25, 30 minutes and had a really good game, and then next game not play. So I was just watching how he carried himself."

Ojeleye enacted the mindset that Stevens preaches: never get too high, never get too low. It worked for Ojeleye, and now Bird wants it to work for himself.
"I want to have the same mentality," he said. "Just come in every day, not knowing what's going to happen, and just be ready to go."

Ironically, that's exactly what happened back in mid-October, which taught Bird a memorable life lesson: Seize the moment, and that moment can change everything.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.