We lost the grad transfer

15,853 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by petalumabear
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if already posted but he is going back to Minnesota apparently because the transfer process was too tough?

Oh well.
KoreAmBear
fat_slice said:

Not sure if already posted but he is going back to Minnesota apparently because the transfer process was too tough?

Oh well.
Yogi58
That's OK. Just opens up the spot for the impact grad transfer that is going to be the best player on the team.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
oskidunker
I heard Winston grew a little in the off season.
Go Bears!
concordtom
It wasn't Minnesota.
But yeah, he returned to his original school.
OneKeg
concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.
We're talking about Matz Stockman, who first played at Louisville, then transferred to Minnesota where he sat out last season (2017-2018) with the Gophers. He said he was coming to Cal publicly. But now he's going to remain at Minnesota. As of today, Tue. Aug. 7th.

Are you thinking about the other grad transfer, the really good one, from the mid-major that was considering Cal, but just decided to stay and never publicly said he was going to come to Cal?

That was the old big man transfer disappointment. This is the new big man transfer disappointment, just breaking today.

(Separate from the Jordan Brown/Charles Bassey big man disappointments).
petalumabear
OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.
We're talking about Matz Stockman, who first played at Louisville, then transferred to Minnesota where he sat out last season (2017-2018) with the Gophers. He said he was coming to Cal publicly. But now he's going to remain at Minnesota. As of today, Tue. Aug. 7th.

Are you thinking about the other grad transfer, the really good one, from the mid-major that was considering Cal, but just decided to stay and never publicly said he was going to come to Cal?

That was the old big man transfer disappointment. This is the new big man transfer disappointment, just breaking today.

missed it by this much!!
KoreAmBear
OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

All these big man disappointments are hard to remember.
calbear80
It is time to end this dumpster fire created by Mike Williams and the guy he hired as MBB " coach"

Cal deserves and needs a real MBB HEAD COACH.

HIRE A REAL MBB HEAD COACH NOW before the guy Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" does more damage.

Go Bears!
UCBerkGrad
Shh or you will have hell to pay. Helltopay claims it is premature to discuss replacing WJ. Even with a hall of fame player, former nba coach (who had winning seasons 4 of 5 years), and is a Cal alum/local legend.

Wouldn't want to slow down this momentum.
HoopDreams
We have signed 4 good front court players .... Ivan, King and Lee (and he only had one year) + Kravish. Jury is still out on the 3 current posts.

And that goes back to the Monty years.

I was told before that there just isn't that many 6-8+ basketball players with the needed academics

Certainly schools like UCLA (who signed 3 top bigs), Duke and Stanford can sign them, but tough for a middle-of-the-PAC school with tough admissions

Isn't it time to lower the self imposed stricter admissions requirement for basketball? Back to the same level as UCLA?

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

calumnus
HoopDreams said:

We have signed 4 good front court players .... Ivan, King and Lee (and he only had one year) + Kravish. Jury is still out on the 3 current posts.

I was told before that there just isn't that many 6-8+ basketball players with the needed academics

Certainly schools like UCLA (who signed 3 top bigs), Duke and Stanford can sign them, but tough for a middle-of-the-PAC school with tough admissions

Isn't it time to lower the self imposed stricter admissions requirement for basketball? Back to the same level as UCLA?

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

People here complained about Richard Solomon, but 6'11" averaging a double double would be very welcome.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

People here complained about Richard Solomon, but 6'11" averaging a double double would be very welcome.

No, you are right. I just forgot about him. People always seemed down on Solomon, and I can understand why. But on the court he gave us a lot, especially rebounding. I should have said 5 post players. Still that means we've signed one legit big about every other year. Again, I'm not pre-judging the current incoming freshman bigs, but we need to do better than that
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

No, you are right. I just forgot about him. People always seemed down on Solomon, and I can understand why. But on the court he gave us a lot, especially rebounding. I should have said 5 post players. Still that means we've signed one legit big about every other year. Again, I'm not pre-judging the current incoming freshman bigs, but we need to do better than that
I am pre-judging them. Cal does not have a single big who deserves court time at the pac12 level. Stockman looked better than any of remaining ones in the brief clips I found. What a mess. Fortunately, WJ runs such a sophisticated offense that little talent is needed.

Sluggo
calbear80
The inexperienced unqualified incompetent guy that Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" cannot coach, cannot judge talent, cannot recruit, cannot retain the players and cannot manage the roster with the number of scholarships mandated by the NCAA rules. Otherwise, he is probably a jolly good fellow (liked at least by his mother and Mike Williams).

Look, Mother Theresa is a wonderful human being, but, none of us would go to her for brain surgery. This guy has clearly proven that he is not a suitable MBB Head Coach for Cal, whether or not he is a good guy (Brandon Chauca, Winston and that other guy will present evidance to the contrary).

Mike Williams gave this guy a $5,000,000 gift by hiring him when no other D-1 (let alone Power 5) teams would even give him an interview. This guy had no experience coaching as even a top two coach at any level, not even high school, and it shows. Even his playing experience was at a minor school. This guy should be sending Mike Williams a million thank you notes each day.

Time for a coaching change is NOW.

Please do not delay the inevitable which allows this guy to destroy Cal MBB further.

Bring Back Respect to Cal MBB.

Hire a New Coach Now!

Go Bears!

P.S. So, what jersey number Jordan Brown (five-star super-star 6'-11" big man from Sacramento who desperately wanted to come to Cal and had the grades) will be wearing this year?

P.S.S. The guy Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" went 2-17 in the conference last year (worst ever in the history). So, what does he do to improve things? He goes out and hires another coach who went an identical 2-17 in a minor conference as his top assistant. Truly, "great" minds think alike!
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

Maybe I have tougher standards, but of the four players you mentioned, only Kravish gave Cal four pretty good years, improving each year. His first year, his numbers were as good as Okoroh's best year. And Okoroh's good years were barely adequate in my mind, 5 rebounds, 5 points and 2 blocks, playing half a game. Ivan gave Cal two good years and Lee one good year. Bigs develop very slowly, and it is unusual for Cal to get two players like Rabb and Kravish, who could contribute at a high level from day one as freshmen. Darrall Imhoff wasn't good enough to contribute anything until he was a junior, and he gave Cal two great seasons. Because bigs usually do mature physically very slowly, it is crucial for a coach to keep a steady stream of bigs with potential coming into your program, because you are only going to get one, or usually at best, two good seasons out of them. And there are plenty of big recruits who never even give you one good year, because you are recruiting them more on future potential than what success they had in high school. It was very unusual to get an Ivan Rabb, who could play at a very high level on day one at Berkeley.

I don't know what Stanford's basketball admission requirements are, but their academic requirements are likely tougher than Cal's, and Stanford is a middle-of-the-PAC12 school, isn't it? They haven't won there since Monty left the Farm. I would agree with you that Cal's basketball admission standards should not be stricter than those of UCLA. I find that hard to explain.

SFCityBear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

OneKeg said:

concordtom said:

It wasn't Minnesota.

Richard Solomon averaged a double-double only in his senior year. His first two years were a complete bust. In his freshman year, he couldn't hold onto a pass or a rebound, and he threw up air balls from 3 feet from the basket. In his second year, he wasn't much better, and then got caught cheating in a course, and was suspended from the team for the rest of the season, as I remember. In his 3rd year, he finally figured out that he should stop trying to be a stretch four and shoot threes, and do what he should, which was rebound, defend, score inside, and he finally put together an adequate season his junior year. His senior year was just what you'd like to see, solid performance.

joe amos yaks
It is inappropriate and unfair to talk about coaching changes at this time. We need positive support for Coach Jones and the program, not eternal negativity and grousing.

Anyway Coach Kidd is not a good fit. He was a great player with vision, but there are other issues and coaching style that leave something to be desired.

Just because a person might be available and popular doesn't make them a good option.

Some coaches who might fit would be Coach Bennett (uVa), Coach DeCuire (uMo), Coach Tinkle (OSu), Coach Allen (Army), Coach Amaker (Hu), Coach Otzelberger (SDStu) . . .
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
AunBear89
I'm guessing the total lack of replies to your posts is due to you being blocked by everyone who reads the hoops board. But not me! I find your one-note posts to be highly entertaining. It's like you are doing your best GoldenOnenote impersonation!

You keep being you, calbear80! It seems to be the one thing you are good at. Making thoughtful, intelligent posts - not so much.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
SFCityBear
calbear80 said:

The inexperienced unqualified incompetent guy that Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" cannot coach, cannot judge talent, cannot recruit, cannot retain the players and cannot manage the roster with the number of scholarships mandated by the NCAA rules. Otherwise, he is probably a jolly good fellow (liked at least by his mother and Mike Williams).

Look, Mother Theresa is a wonderful human being, but, none of us would go to her for brain surgery. This guy has clearly proven that he is not a suitable MBB Head Coach for Cal, whether or not he is a good guy (Brandon Chauca, Winston and that other guy will present evidance to the contrary).

Mike Williams gave this guy a $5,000,000 gift by hiring him when no other D-1 (let alone Power 5) teams would even give him an interview. This guy had no experience coaching as even a top two coach at any level, not even high school, and it shows. Even his playing experience was at a minor school. This guy should be sending Mike Williams a million thank you notes each day.

Please do not delay the inevitable which allows this guy to destroy Cal MBB further.

Hire a New Coach (Jason Kidd) Now!

Go Bears!

P.S. So, what jersey number Jordan Brown (five-star super-star 6'-11" big man from Sacramento who desperately wanted to come to Cal and had the grades) will be wearing this year?

P.S.S. The guy Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" went 2-17 in the conference last year (worst ever in the history). So, what does he do to improve things? He goes out and hires another coach who went an identical 2-17 in a minor conference as his top assistant. Truly, "great" minds think alike!
Could you please stop it with the over-the-top personal ad hominem attacks on the current Cal head basketball coach, laced with sarcasm and hyperbole? All this to promote your idea for trying another unproven head coach over the one we have?

Even bringing Mother Theresa into this to make your point, which only a few of us so far have agreed with you. You may not want to go to Mother Theresa for your brain surgery, but to whom would you turn when your brain surgeon's operation fails, or when your brain surgeon tells you your problem is inoperable, and there is nothing he can do? Mother Theresa was a person who many turned to when they had no hope. They most often had tried everything else, and had received no help.

I didn't like Wyking Jones' first season at all. I have lots of skepticism as to whether he can coach up players of all levels of ability, at all positions, whether he can judge talent, talk recruits into signing, strategize for teams or coach on the floor. I don't like his offense, and I sure don't like his defense. But I'm not going to do a hatchet job on him. I'm going to wait a while. It wasn't Wyking Jones who created this mess. The coaches before him had a great deal to do with this, especially Cuonzo Martin. All coaches have a really difficult time recruiting their first season, especially when they aren't hired with much time to recruit. Most good recruits take years to land, and Jones had only a summer. It was to his credit that he only lost Baker to Kentucky, but landed the rest that Cuonzo had commits from. Was it Jones' fault that he inherited a team with no point guard, as Charlie Moore left for personal reasons, or maybe he was talked into it by Kansas? Do you know how tough it is to coach a team with no point guard, no team leader, no quarterback? Do you think your beloved Jason Kidd could coach a team with no point guard to a winning season? He would have torn out all the hair he has remaining on his head. In his first year, Martin managed to land Okoroh and Chauca. I'd say that Coach Jones did a heckuva lot better than that in his first recruiting class with McNeill and Sueing at least, and I never heard you bashing Martin's recruiting in his first season.

Martin tried to build the Cal program based on one-and-done recruits like Rabb and Brown. He was lucky Rabb decided to stay a second year (and not so lucky for Rabb, it seems). But once one-and-dones are gone, you have to start all over again, which Martin failed to do. Mathews quit the team, mainly over disagreements with Martin. It was Martin who drove this train into a wreck, and it was handed to Jones to pick up the pieces. The situation cried out for an older much more experienced coach, and the AD did not realize that, or could not afford one.

Finally, you don't know for sure that Jason Kidd could recruit (because he has no experience doing it), or whether he can coach his way out of a paper bag. Do you know how different coaching in the NBA and in D1 is? Night and day. Rick Pitino and Mike Montgomery were good college coaches, but both were not very good coaching in the NBA. In the NBA, you have big stars who make a lot more money than the coach does, and they are all outstanding athletes. There are some players with alcohol or drug addictions, some players who abuse women, some who carry guns, and some who get in trouble with the law. Off the court, many are accidents waiting to happen. And if a player doesn't play well for you, you can usually trade him and get a replacement. You can't do that in college. You are stuck with him

Coaching in college is different. You have only 13 scholarships to give. You can only bring in a few new players and there is no D league or a hundred overseas pro leagues for you to get recruits. You have few good players to choose from when you recruit, and competition is fierce among 300+ colleges. When you get a freshman, he will have more deficiencies than you ever dreamed of, and if you are lucky you will have him for a couple of years to teach him the skills he is lacking. 40% of all players will transfer.
There are three positions which are fundamental to success, two bigs and a point. The year your point graduates, you better have one on the bench to take his place, or the next season your team is toast. And good points are really rare. Bigs are hard to get, because very coach wants as many as he can get, and the NBA wants to take them away from you. How are you going to convince a kid to play for Cal when some scout is dangling $millions in his face? The coaching itself is hard. Recruits are young skulls full of mush, and many are stubborn. You have to get that mush out, and teach them how to play right for the college game. Recruits are generally good one-on-one players, but not good team players. So you have to teach that, and many will never get it. You have to teach advanced help defense which is a new concept for many recruits. Jason Kidd has never demonstrated he can do any of the things necessary for coaching in D1. He may be able to do it, but he would just be another big risk, just like Wyking Jones. The program is in a shambles, probably no worse than last year, maybe a little better than that, and either Wyking Jones is willing to seek out and take some advice from older and wiser coaches, or he will have to learn by doing and hopefully learn from his mistakes.

No matter how bad you want him fired, he is not going to be fired now, especially by the few fans who listen to you here. And I would guess, the University will not take a chance on Jason Kidd, until he earns his college coaching chops elsewhere first, and demonstrates he will not embarrass Cal again with unacceptable off court behavior.

oskidunker
Excellent post. I am not a Jones fan but he is the coach until he is not. I have faith in the new AD to do a good analysis. I still think O Toole saw the handwriting on the wall. He , of course, recruited McCullough. His pre game warms were never related to plays run in a game.
Go Bears!
Yogi58
AunBear89 said:

I'm guessing the total lack of replies to your posts is due to you being blocked by everyone who reads the hoops board.
I don't recall calbear80 writing anything that would cause a person to block him.
parentswerebears
That guy is the trolliest of trolls and has said nothing with a shred of positivity about Cal basketball and his Schtick is so broken record. His one note responses got me so angry that I had to block him before I got banned from here for saying something stupid.
GoCalBears
This thread (https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/80933) has a blurb about this. Someone posted that he didn't get into the grad program at Ca.
UrsaMajor
SFCity:

Excellent post. I hope, however, it was aimed at the rest of us, because it will, I am afraid, be of no interest to CalBears80. Telling him to stop with the attacks on Coach Jones would be like telling Donald Trump to stop insulting people and play nice.
calbear80
SFCity, thanks for your excellent detailed analysis. I see that you, like me, are also unhappy with the current situation and do not think the current coach is the solution. In terms of making changes, you are more patient than me and I respect you for that. Perhaps after this season if our beloved Golden Bears have a winning cinference record, I'll share your views. Or, more likely, if they finish at or near the bottom conference standings again, you will share my views on the need for immediate changes.

UrsaMajor, thank you for your post. If you are happy with last year's 2-17 conference record (worst ever in the history, dead last in Pac-12), then you are truly a positive thinking man. Perhaps after this season which is expected to be another bad one,, you will join me in the conclusion that change is needed and needed soon.

BTW, my previous offer stands: If this coach can achieve mediocrity (all I ask is be at least mediocre, never mind being good or excellent), by reaching a .500 overall conference record by the end of this season, I will donate $100,000+ to the Cal Athletic Department. Knowing this coach, I don't think there is a chance that he can achieve mediocrity (.500 overall cinference record) and as such I am certain my bank acciunt is safe.

Go Bears!
SFCityBear
calbear80 said:

SFCity, thanks for your excellent detailed analysis. I see that you, like me, are also unhappy with the current situation and do not think the current coach is the solution. In terms of making changes, you are more patient than me and I respect you for that. Perhaps after this season if our beloved Golden Bears have a winning cinference record, I'll share your views. Or, more likely, if they finish at or near the bottom conference standings again, you will share my views on the need for immediate changes.

UrsaMajir, thank you for your post. If you are happy with last year's 2-17 conference record (worst ever in the history, dead last in Pac-12), then you are truly a positive thinking man. Perhaps after this season which is expected to be another bad one,, you will join me in the conclusion that change is needed and needed soon.

BTW, my previius offer stands: If this coach can achieve mediocrity (all I ask is be at least mediocre, never mind being good or excellent), by reaching a .500 overall conference record by the end of this season, I will donate $100,000+ to the Cal Athletic Department. Knowing this coach, I don't think there is a chance that he can achieve mediocrity (.500 overall cinference record) and as such I am certain my bank acciunt is safe.

Go Bears!
Calbear80, thanks for being a little more reasonable. Most of us have a healthy skepticism about Jones and the coming year, and it would take a few years for any coach to turn this program around. Wings are a dime a dozen almost, and it looks like Jones has landed a couple more in Gordon and Bradley. Paris may not be a great point guard, but he is said to know how to play the position, which should help a lot. The big personnel problem is up front, and what would have helped would be a grad transfer or two, someone with experience. Vanover, like most freshman bigs, is likely going to take a year or two to develop. I hope it is sooner. The main thing I will look for this season is whether Jones can put together an offense which shares the ball. Cal should score more this season, but I'm afraid without experienced post defense and rim protection, they will give up more points. And I'm really curious to see who will get rebounds for Cal, with our best rebounders gone now. And I want to see if any players improve over the course of the season. Last season, not very many did. It is enough to keep me interested, and I hope you will stay tuned as well.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

SFCity:

Excellent post. I hope, however, it was aimed at the rest of us, because it will, I am afraid, be of no interest to CalBears80. Telling him to stop with the attacks on Coach Jones would be like telling Donald Trump to stop insulting people and play nice.
It's unpleasant and offensive, but it's a negotiating tactic. Trump is a building contractor. Have you ever spent time with these people? They are all quite rough around the edges. I spent most of my career in construction. For someone to be successful in construction in New York, he has to be able to deal with the very tight and cunning money interests of Wall Street. He also has to be able to deal with the historically corrupt Irish Democratic political machine which runs the town. And finally, he needs to be able to deal with the Mafia, who control the building trade unions in New York. My own family has had dealings with them. I had a had a great-uncle who was an architect, and he got in a fight with a union boss on a project and threw him down a flight of stairs. The Mafia put out a contract on him, and he had to go to Mayor Fiorello La Guardia to get the contract cancelled, while he and his family sweated it out. I don't imagine New York is much easier to work in doing construction now than it was a hundred years ago. Trump was an outsider. His family money was not old society money, it was construction money, and not high y respected. He was a Protestant, not Irish or Italian Catholic. And still he was a success in New York construction. I respect that, but I don't respect his style.

So here is President Trump with the media bashing him with worse than he can dish out, in terms of daily volume, one party trying to impeach him, and the other party trying to block all his agenda, along with half the voting population down on him as well. The Left hates him, the Liberals don't like him, and neither do the Conservatives or the Libertarians. He has accomplished many things he wanted, in spite of more opposition than any President has had in my lifetime. I have my own opinions about his policies, some good, some bad, but they are his policies and he is getting them implemented over tremendous opposition. He has the media buffaloed, and many of the politicians as well. Do i like the style? Of course not, but having been in the construction business for a long time, I've met far worse bullies, and I respect them for being able to get things done. And here in laid back California, you don't have to be as much of a bully to be a success in construction, as Trump needed to be in New York, or I would not have survived in that business. All IMHO.
Chapman_is_Gone
calbear80 said:

Hire a New Coach Now!

Go Bears!

In seven more months, and you will get what you want...
Chapman_is_Gone
parentswerebears said:

That guy is the trolliest of trolls and has said nothing with a shred of positivity about Cal basketball and his Schtick is so broken record. His one note responses got me so angry that I had to block him before I got banned from here for saying something stupid.
I pretty much feel the same way about you, except you're on the other end of the spectrum.
calbear80
Chapman_is_Gone said:

calbear80 said:

Hire a New Coach Now!

Go Bears!

Patience is a virtue. That is one of the many virtues I don't have.

Do we have to wait through another disasterous season like last one and then spend years to rebuilt from the destruction?

If things start going real bad to start the season, cannot the new AD and the new Chancellor do the inevitable in mid-season?

Go Bears!
concordtom
I'll take two Robert Thurmans, please!
Dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk.
Times 2.
parentswerebears
UrsaMajor
calbear80 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

calbear80 said:

Hire a New Coach Now!

Go Bears!

Patience is a virtue. That is one of the many virtues I don't have.

Do we have to wait through another disasterous season like last one and then spend years to rebuilt from the destruction?

If things start going real bad to start the season, cannot the new AD and the new Chancellor do the inevitable in mid-season?

Go Bears!
Actually, CB80, I am sympathetic w/ your impatience. However, the AD and Chancellor are not going to fire Jones mid-season (barring some ethical scandal). Nor should they. Mid-season firings in college sports (unlike the NBA or MLB) are a very bad look and tend to wreak havoc with the program. If the team implodes in the first half of the season, a new coach isn't going to rescue the season. No reason to endure the chaos and bad publicity for little gain. The time to make a coaching change is as soon as the season ends (ideally, Jim has a short list of potential coaches already). If, on the other hand, the team surprises and has a successful season (say over .500), Jones will deserve a 3rd year. My only concern, as I have posted elsewhere, is if the performance lands somewhere in between.
calbear80
Here is how I see things for the guy Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" for the upcoming season

. Very Bad Start (on top of everything that has been happening with the team in the last 16 months): Gone before the end of December.

. Bad Start (bottom three in Pac-12): Gone by February (although may not be announced publicly().

. Lower half of Pac-12 After 2-17 Pac-12 Record Last Year (overall Pac-12 record of around 10-28):: Gone when the season ends.

* Middle Upper Half of Pac-12: Depends on the new AD and Chancellor and their priorities.

*Upper 1/3 of Pac-12: Gets a third year.

*17-2 in Pac-12: I will make a $100,000 + donation to the Cal Athletic Department because this guy's overall Pac-12 record has reached .500 (don'tworry about me, my money is very safe, extremely safe).

* Don't worry. This is NOT going to happen.

Go Bears!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.