Two new scholly slots open up

22,745 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oski003
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
superbear99
Any chance of putting those schollies to work?
MoragaBear
Staff
Highly doubtful for this season but next season for sure
Big C
Can't help but wondering how many guys we missed on the past five months or so because we didn't have the scholarships open, ready to offer.

Well, at least we now know we have them for next year.
parentswerebears
Two bigs and a point ideally, right?
superbear99
Agree Big C. I have always told my kids to do the right thing, and I would have been fine if they went to classes for 3 years and gotten a Cal degree. Disappointed for basketball, but I would have thought it fair.

Doing what Winston and McCullough did is bush league. Yes, they got their payback, but I can't see how they hold up their heads high.
calumnus
superbear99 said:

Agree Big C. I have always told my kids to do the right thing, and I would have been fine if they went to classes for 3 years and gotten a Cal degree. Disappointed for basketball, but I would have thought it fair.

Doing what Winston and McCullough did is bush league. Yes, they got their payback, but I can't see how they hold up their heads high.

What is it that they did that you consider "bush league"? The fact they are playing at CCSF shows they did not have any significanr scholarship offers. They could have stayed at Cal and kept the scholarship. Now we get the scholarships back. You think they should have given up the scholarship immediately? Besides, this is better for class balance and prevents Wyking from reaching again. Moreover, if Wyking is replaced, the next coach will now have the scholarships to offer.
Big C
calumnus said:

superbear99 said:

What is it that they did that you consider "bush league"? The fact they are playing at CCSF shows they did not have any significanr scholarship offers. They could have stayed at Cal and kept the scholarship. Now we get the scholarships back. You think they should have given up the scholarship immediately? Besides, this is better for class balance and prevents Wyking from reaching again. Moreover, if Wyking is replaced, the next coach will now have the scholarships to offer.
I think the question is, did they wait longer than they needed to, in order to stick it to us? I dunno.

There is also the other side: Did "we" do anything to "encourage" them to leave? Not sure I wanna know.
superbear99
yes Big C,, the bush league act to me was not informing anyone that they were leaving Cal and renouncing their scholarships. They knew what they were doing, and they knew it would affect their former teammates, yet chose to keep the secret of their move to CCSF. Not the right thing to do in my book, but moot at this point.
helltopay1
Dear Super: As vincent LaGuardia Gambini said, " you win some---you lose some."
superbear99
Cant argue with Gambini. He was the oracle. Nice fashion sense as well.
59bear
superbear99 said:

yes Big C,, the bush league act to me was not informing anyone that they were leaving Cal and renouncing their scholarships. They knew what they were doing, and they knew it would affect their former teammates, yet chose to keep the secret of their move to CCSF. Not the right thing to do in my book, but moot at this point.
And you know that how?
oskidunker
So this was found out by someone looking at ccsf basketball roster? No announcement by the players or Cal?

Cal must have been notified they were leaving as transcripts probably were sent. But maybe the privacy laws prevented Cal admissions from saying anything? Hopefully Jones knew before us.

Bet this exact scenario has never happened before.
Go Bears!
calbear80
So, what jersey number will Jordan Brown (5-star 6'-11" big from Sacramento area who desperately wanted to come to Cal and had the grades) be wearing?

If not, maybe our new experienced qualified MBB Head Coach will use the schorlarships and how he uses them more wisely.

Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
No, Cal was kept completely in the dark
caltagjohnson
Nevada was always the logical spot for Brown. I said this long before he comitted to UNR. This is a potential Final Four team. UNR is about sold out.
tequila4kapp
MoragaBear said:

No, Cal was kept completely in the dark
So they rejected prior efforts to find them solid landing spots, waited until recruiting season for Cal had passed then quietly went across the bay to a CC?
MoragaBear
Staff
They explored some of the options and eventually rejected additional opportunities put forward but they definitely didn't tell Cal how any of it went or of their ultimate intentions to enroll at CCSF.
calfanz
MoragaBear said:

They explored some of the options and eventually rejected additional opportunities put forward but they definitely didn't tell Cal how any of it went or of their ultimate intentions to enroll at CCSF.
really immature... as they say never burn bridges....
Econ141
calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

Meh - I'm glad this is over. They got kicked off the team so the bridge was lit by Cal. They had to look out for their best interest - keep the scholly until the best offer presented itself. In this case, the best offer never came so they went with the only offer which was SF city. Not sure why they owe Cal any kind of notice ... it's not like we gave them notice that they would be kicked off the b-ball team.
tequila4kapp
fat_slice said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

Meh - I'm glad this is over. They got kicked off the team so the bridge was lit by Cal. They had to look out for their best interest - keep the scholly until the best offer presented itself. In this case, the best offer never came so they went with the only offer which was SF city. Not sure why they owe Cal any kind of notice ... it's not like we gave them notice that they would be kicked off the b-ball team.
That's a pretty one sided view of things. You can look out for your best interest and still be decent about things.

The only offer wasn't necessarily CCSF....Moraga said they rejected other opportunities put forward.
Big C
tequila4kapp said:

fat_slice said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

That's a pretty one sided view of things. You can look out for your best interest and still be decent about things.

The only offer wasn't necessarily CCSF....Moraga said they rejected other opportunities put forward.
I am in general agreement with you on this, but I suspect the other "opportunities put forward' were ones like:
+ "give up your athletic scholarship here and we will work up a financial aid package for you to reduce tuition"
+ "Coach Walker knows a little school in Texas that will take you on as a walk-on"

Neither of them were going to get full athletic scholarships anywhere. AM isn't good enough and DW is borderline and comes with a family-member who likes to make waves.

For us, this story seems to have about as happy an ending as it could have, at this point.
MoragaBear
Staff
They were given referrals to work out for other programs, not negotiation options with their scholarships.
mbBear
calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

How many times has this happened in the history of Cal basketball? Forcing guys out without any behavior or academic reasons? Yeah, other guys have transferred because they could see the writing on the wall, but here were two guys who thought being at Cal was a really good thing, wanted to be student athletes, and end up alums-you know, kind of like most of us.
We can wish that they handled it differently, but this was messed up by the coaching staff. Their actions, even if we don't like them, isn't going to change the origin of this mess. Be happy its over, but blasting the kids?
BeachedBear
mbBear said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

How many times has this happened in the history of Cal basketball? Forcing guys out without any behavior or academic reasons? Yeah, other guys have transferred because they could see the writing on the wall, but here were two guys who thought being at Cal was a really good thing, wanted to be student athletes, and end up alums-you know, kind of like most of us.
We can wish that they handled it differently, but this was messed up by the coaching staff. Their actions, even if we don't like them, isn't going to change the origin of this mess. Be happy its over, but blasting the kids?
It has happened more often than you may want to admit. Usually in the form of a forced medical retirement.

What is different IMHO with Jones is that one recruit never should have been more than a PWO and the other was a marginal recruit at best (taking both the same year was maybe too much as well). More importantly, they were 'dismissed' after their freshman season. The others were usually gone after more time with the program. However, it was painfully obvious that neither player was going to be part of the rebuild.

In any event, I agree with mbBear about blasting the kids. I learned a looooong time ago not to put too much weight on the decisions of young basketball players (see recruiting, fashion choices, etc.).
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Can't help but wondering how many guys we missed on the past five months or so because we didn't have the scholarships open, ready to offer.

Heh, one 5* PF and one 4* PG come to mind. CAL really screwed the pooch on this one.
Civil Bear
BeachedBear said:

mbBear said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

It has happened more often than you may want to admit. Usually in the form of a forced medical retirement.

What is different IMHO with Jones is that one recruit never should have been more than a PWO and the other was a marginal recruit at best (taking both the same year was maybe too much as well). More importantly, they were 'dismissed' after their freshman season. The others were usually gone after more time with the program. However, it was painfully obvious that neither player was going to be part of the rebuild.

What also is different is the kids that got "forced out" on medical retirement had actual injuries.
Big C
mbBear said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

How do you know that was what they wanted ("being at Cal")? Sounds like they had that option, if they chose it.

These two guys got accepted into Cal because of basketball and got 25% of their undergraduate education (freshman year) paid for. How many seniors in high school would cherish that advantage? I know my kids would.

They also could have continued their scholarships here, if they chose to do that.

The part of all of this that the coaching staff messed up the worst was "reaching" on two guys who couldn't play at this level. After that mistake, what were they supposed to do? It's a tough world out there.

Sounds like this rather unfortunate situation is being resolved about as well as it can be, for all parties.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

Heh, one 5* PF and one 4* PG come to mind. CAL really screwed the pooch on this one.
Well, we always kept one scholarship open for Jordan Brown. He just didn't take it. I guess the worst-case would be if he might've come here as a tandem with another player (the "mystery grad-transfer?), but we only had one guaranteed slot to offer and that was the straw that broke the camel's back and sent him to Reno.

More likely, though, he just picked Nevada over us.
Civil Bear
Big C said:

The timing of it all suggests otherwise. Recall the very day this all went down there was tweet from a Cal assist coach about big things to come that day.
MoragaBear
Staff
mbBear said:

calfanz said:

MoragaBear said:

It's happened quite a few times, not just at Cal but at virtually every program. The difference is that players usually find it in their best interest to keep it on the downlow instead of putting the program on blast. Believe me, that didn't do them any favors when trying to find a new home, even with the program trying to endorse them.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

Big C said:

The timing of it all suggests otherwise. Recall the very day this all went down there was tweet from a Cal assist coach about big things to come that day.
What are you suggesting happened? (not saying it didn't, just asking)

We DID have an open scholarship for Brown. Are you suggesting he was set to come here, but with somebody else, as part of a package?
MoragaBear
Staff
A big element Brown's recruitment was his insistence that there be more talent around him, especially good bigs. The lack of open scholarships handcuffed the staff's ability to bring in some guys that were interested and would have helped with Brown's recruitment.
calbear80
MoragaBear said:

A big element Brown's recruitment was his insistence that there be more talent around him, especially good bigs. The lack of open scholarships handcuffed the staff's ability to bring in some guys that were interested and would have helped with Brown's recruitment.

So, you agree that the mistakes and lack of experience of the guy Mike Williams hired as MBB "coach" has been and continues to be devastating to Cal now and for the years to come.

That is why a change ASAP is needed.

Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear CalBear: I hope your wife doesn't demand perfection from you. If so, she will be sorely disappointed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.