Jabari Bird Arrested for Assault in Brighton

28,125 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GMP
StillNoStanfurdium
How long do you want to ignore this user?

That's the only post I've seen about it and I hope we're able to learn more soon.
TheSouseFamily
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24613847/jabari-bird-arrested-alleged-assault-strangling-kidnapping
calbearinamaze
Not much to say.
pingpong2
First Kendrick's and now Bird? Bad things come in three so what's next, A-Rod gets busted for tax evasion?
Econ141
Bizarre ... totally bizarre
CALiforniALUM
That, honestly, has to be one of the last persons I would expect to see those allegations attached to. Sad if true, but also remarkably shocking given my fan view of Jabari. Comes across as a real mellow down the earth kid. While I sometimes wished he showed more fight this was not what I would have expected.

south bender
Like CalAlum, I am shocked and saddened.
oskidunker
Women can drive you crazy
Go Bears!
Big C
It's terribly sad to hear of something like this. It's still early in the breaking-news cycle. Hoping for the best for all parties involved (especially for the alleged victim).
south bender
Women drive men crazy, so why not strangle them???
mikecohen
south bender said:

Is that the only alternative?; and Don't men do the same (or the equivalent) to women?
helltopay1
Dear Mr. Cohen: Why didn't you see that Oskidunker and Southbender were not being serious or literal??You are now old enough to discern the difference. In other words, please!!!!
SFCityBear
The article did say "alleged" in reference to this incident. Given the veracity of the news media these days, can we at least have a little patience and wait for all the details to come out?
GMP
SFCityBear said:

The article did say "alleged" in reference to this incident. Given the veracity of the news media these days, can we at least have a little patience and wait for all the details to come out?
Even if you were right about the news media, which you are not, this came straight from the police department, not from a reporter. It is of course alleged because the charges have not been proven.
bearister
SFCityBear said:

Other than Fox News the media is pretty darn accurate these days and it is one of last lines of defense against totalitarianism.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
In case you were wondering:

"Brighton is a dissolved municipality and current neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, and is located in the northwestern corner of the city. It is named after the town of Brighton in the English city of Brighton and Hove. For its first 160 years, Brighton was part of Cambridge, and was known as "Little Cambridge." Throughout much of its early history, it was a rural town with a significant commercial center at its eastern end. Brighton separated from Cambridge in 1807 after a bridge dispute, and was annexed to Boston in 1874. The neighborhood of Allston was also formerly part of the town of Brighton, but is now often considered separately, leading to the moniker Allston - Brighton for the combined area. Allston - Brighton has seen its fair share of assault and strangling in its day, but kidnapping is rare. This historic center of Brighton is the Brighton Center Historic District. Brighton is the birthplace of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg."
mikecohen
helltopay1 said:

Dear Mr. Cohen: Why didn't you see that Oskidunker and Southbender were not being serious or literal??You are now old enough to discern the difference. In other words, please!!!!
I guess I just THOUGHT that I was playing along. Oh well . . . .
bearister
south bender said:

Men feel threatened by women because they are afraid women will laugh at them. Women feel threatened by men because they are afraid of being killed.
-Margaret Atwood
caltagjohnson
I always wondered who was naive enough to believe what the MSM put out, Not surprised tp find them on a UCB blog
bearister
caltagjohnson said:

I always wondered who was naive enough to believe what the MSM put out, Not surprised tp find them on a UCB blog

bearister
3 hours ago is the most recent update I found:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wcvb.com/article/celtics-jabari-bird-expected-in-court-after-alleged-domestic-incident/23058773
oskidunker
tells us nothing
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
GMP said:

SFCityBear said:

Even if you were right about the news media, which you are not, this came straight from the police department, not from a reporter. It is of course alleged because the charges have not been proven.
As I read the articles, the first statement was from a radio or TV station, and says "Bird is under arrest and facing charges after an assault." That statement is reported news. It may have come from the police or may not have, as the reporter did not quote the police directly, nor did the reporter say, "The police said that.." Note that this story did not use the word "allegedly".

The second article, was from ESPN, and does say that "Bird has been arrested for allegedly assaulting, strangling, and kidnapping and unidentified person" according to the police. It also quotes a police spokesman as saying that Bird is being " guarded by the Boston police at a local hospital for evaluation." The story also says that Bird "is expected to appear in court Monday, where he will face charges of assault and battery, strangulation and kidnapping." The reporter did not quote the police or state that the police made that statement.

The third article, also from ESPN, says ".Bird will face charges in a Boston court after he was accused in a domestic incident in which a victim was injured, officials said." What officials? Police offficials? Government officials? Celtic officials?

The third article also states, "Police said complaints would be sought against Bird for assault and battery, strangulation and kidnapping." Here is where it now starts to get a little murky. In the first and second article, the reporters say the Bird has been arrested and will face charges. But in the third article the police say that complaints will be sought against Bird. Now it is the District Attorney who files charges in criminal cases like this, and in order to do that he must have a complaint either from the victim or from a police report. So how come the earlier articles all say Bird will face charges, when the 3rd article states that the police don't even have complaints yet? Now if the victim has given the police a report, the police can make a complaint out of it and give it to the DA, but if they are still seeking a complaint then either the victim is too injured to make a report or maybe they are reluctant to make the complaint. The victim could be lawyering up and that can take time. But looking at the language, and the sources, charges don't seem imminent just yet. The fact that Bird has been in the hospital for three days may indicate that Bird may have gotten injured himself in the incident, and perhaps this is not a simple case of one-sided assault.

In any case, the story did not entirely come directly from the police. Most of it was reportage by definition. Could Bird be kept under guard in the hospital to protect him from retaliation from the victim or friends of the victim? I think many of us can be all too quick to judge a domestic violence case, including reporters needing a story that will sell newspapers and grab TV viewer attention. What we have here is at least one person injured, maybe a domestic abuse, maybe a complaint, maybe a police report, maybe some charges, and maybe Bird found guilty, Let's wait and see, huh?

oskidunker
If it were a woman it seems doubful Bird would be so badly injured he would be in the hospital. Fight with male roomate???

Go Bears!
bearister
Sometimes the term "evaluation" can mean a psychiatric issue. If he got in a fight with his girlfriend she is a former college baller over 6 feet so if she is tough she could put some hurt on him.
stu
Pure speculation -- some kind of overdose would explain a lot.
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

If it were a woman it seems doubful Bird would be so badly injured he would be in the hospital. Fight with male roomate???
Maybe he was with Hope Solo.
KoreAmBear
Sad to hear and yes the last guy I would expect to be involved in something like this. But anything can pretty much happen to anyone, under the right circumstances.
concordtom
Report: Celtics to work out Marcus Georges-Hunt
NBC Sports Boston Report
5 hours ago

With Jabari Bird's situation in limbo after his arrest on domestic-assault charges, the Celtics reportedly will bring in swingman Marcus Georges-Hunt for a workout today.

The news was first reported by Jay King of The Athletic. (Subscripton required)

Georges-Hunt came to training camp with the Celtics in 2016 and wound up on the roster of the Maine Red Claws after being cut. The 6-foot-5 product of Georgia Tech has played 47 games in the NBA -- five with Orlando in 2016-17, and 42 with Minnesota last season.

From A. Sherrod Blakely's 2016 profile of Georges-Hunt:
Georges-Hunt is a 6-foot-5 college combo guard who has shown an ability to play -- and play well -- whatever position where he's needed in order for his team to be successful. But there's little hope that the undrafted Georges-Hunt will see a similar career trajectory as a profession . . . The one thing Georges-Hunt showed in college was a steady level of improvement in most categories . . . The greatest benefit for him (in 2016) is that being around the Celtics coaching staff and learning their system will benefit him greatly if he's waived and then decides to sign with the Maine Red Claws
bearister
From two hours ago. Nothing new unless they haven't mentioned "romantic relationship" characterization previously.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/09/12/celtics-jabari-bird-arrest-update
Arkm110
Wow
bearister
From an hour ago. Drip, drip, drip come the facts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/09/boston_celtic_jabari_bird_to_b.amp

He doesn't look beat up in photo. Psychiatric evaluation, perhaps?
LACalFan
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24664132/prosecutors-say-boston-celtics-guard-jabari-bird-strangled-woman-least-dozen-s

Scary stuff
Chapman_is_Gone
KoreAmBear said:

But anything can pretty much happen to anyone, under the right circumstances.
I completely disagree with this comment. Stop making excuses. You'll never find me doing anything Bird is accused of -- ever.

(Now, I am highly likely to spray one of my annoying fellow BART passengers in the face with bear spray in the coming 12 months, but that's a different story).
SFCityBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

But anything can pretty much happen to anyone, under the right circumstances.
I completely disagree with this comment. Stop making excuses. You'll never find me doing anything Bird is accused of -- ever.

(Now, I am highly likely to spray one of my annoying fellow BART passengers in the face with bear spray in the coming 12 months, but that's a different story).
Which train do you usually ride? I'm planning on taking BART to and from the Cal Bears football game on Saturday, and bear spray really infuriates me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.