Scrimmage vs UNLV

1,888 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In reading the thread on the Yale game, there were a couple of mentions of Cal having played a scrimmage vs UNLV. I haven't seen any mention of that in this forum before, so can any of you provide us with a description of the scrimmage?

When was it held, before or after the first exhibition game? Where was it held? Are there any eye-witness accounts describing how the team looked? What styles of offense and defense was Cal using? How did players perform individually?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give us.
SFCityBear
Well, it's been several hours, 143 looks, and no replies. I was hoping at least to hear from Greg, Eric, or Moraga. I guess the UNLV scrimmage, if there was one, was for the privileged few to see.
BeachedBear
It was a closed scrimmage, so the only 'coverage' was on the insiders. There was nothing of note that hasn't since been revealed at the Exhibition game.
Civil Bear
The the "semi-secret" scrimmage is the one teams play before their first exhibition game, like last year's scrimmage against St. Mary's. Attendance is by invite only and the permissible reporting is limited. What reporting there was is premium content.
EricBear
Staff
The NCAA actually has a series of rules regarding these scrimmages, including severe restrictions on who can attend (very few) and what can be reported on/said about them (very little). We covered a few things on the Insider Board, but even that was necessarily fairly generic.
SFCityBear
Thanks, Beached, Civil, and Eric Bears, for the information.

I don't understand the secrecy, but I guess I accept it. I prefer the days when we at least had the illusion of being a free country. In Cal's glory years and previous to them, at least, any practice, any scrimmage was open to the public at large for free. And Cal won 4 conference titles and an NCAA title this way. What is the NCAA afraid of having us or our opponents' scouts see?
KenBurnski
Don't play dumb. We all know that the secrecy policy was created specifically to thwart you. We just can't afford to have other teams learning about how our current players fail when compared against the legendary studs of the 1950's. So thanks a lot, SFCity. If not for you, there'd be WAY more inside information about how our current guys don't seem to run actual plays and can't shoot.
concordtom
Well, Eric, you can drop us bread crumbs while we wait for Buffalo WV to end.
SFCityBear
KenBurnski said:

Don't play dumb. We all know that the secrecy policy was created specifically to thwart you. We just can't afford to have other teams learning about how our current players fail when compared against the legendary studs of the 1950's. So thanks a lot, SFCity. If not for you, there'd be WAY more inside information about how our current guys don't seem to run actual plays and can't shoot.
Burnski,

I don't have to play dumb. I am dumb, as my girlfriend tells me (too often). I tell her I'm not dumb, I'm just old. She replies that I am old AND I am dumb. Other than this, she is the perfect girlfriend.

I've said before that we can't compare the players of today with the legendary players (or any players) of the '50s. It isn't fair to the players of either generation, because the rules of the game have changed so much, making the game of today very different from that of the '50s. Take dribbling, for example. It takes lots of practice and many years to learn to dribble well. In the '50s the dribbler needed to learn to control the ball with his hand only on top of the ball, never on the sides or underneath. There were no crossover moves to learn, because if he tried that, it would be a violation. When I was a kid, the refs called palming maybe 4-5 times in a game, and with the low scores and no shot clock, turnovers were a more devastating mistake than they are today, on average. Today, the player has to become skilled at controlling the ball with his hands on top, on the sides, and even underneath, as palming is never called today. The modern player has to learn crossover moves. It would not be fair to either player to try and dribble under the rules of the other era, because he would have to spend several years learning the dribbling skills of another era, which is time he does not have. The same is true of 3-point shooting of the modern game or the hook shot of the game in the 1950's, or skills like dunking, charging without getting called, or hand-checking, and more. I don't think you can transplant players from era to era, but I do believe the big stars of any era might, after a couple years of adjustment be able to be stars in another era. Wilt, Oscar, Elgin, Russell, West, and others could likely be stars today, and Lebron, Durant, and Curry could likely be stars in the '50s. Just my take.

I do think coaches from different eras could be compared, because no matter what era, their main task is the same, to come up with a strategy and a system to defeat their opponents, playing within the rules of the era. This work is mental, not physical, and they constantly have to adapt their system to meet rule changes and personnel changes, so they should be able to be successful in any era, easier than a player could be successful in two different eras.

So now to compare Pete Newell with Wyking Jones, well, -------------------------------
I'll let you fill in the rest of that sentence.

SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.