Unwatchable

1,980 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by helltopay1
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, I'm not talking about Cal, per se. But the officiating--even by Pac-12 standards--was beyond laughable. NO, this is not a "Cal got screwed by the refs" post. I thought the officiating was "fair," in that it was equally bad on both sides of the ball, but the inconsistency makes it impossible to know how to play. There were 12 fouls called total in the 1st half and 28 in the 2nd half (and Cal wasn't trying to foul to gain extra possessions). At one point, there were I believe 7 consecutive possessions with a whistle. Everyone around me in the stands was just groaning. Let them bang around in the first half, then call brush fouls in the 2nd. Even the Chancellor was disgusted! Can't someone do something about these clowns?
glutton
Agreed. The officiating was hideous, and an embarrassment to the Pac-12.
superbear99
I actually thought the officiating was good in the first half. The second half was an abomination. Beyond awful. I thought we got the worse of it, but only by a tiny bit. It seemed as though the refs were being paid by how many fouls they could call. Most of the calls were ticky tack or worse. It made a fairly enjoyable game into a drudge. It was as if a pall came over the arena: uh oh, it is going to be one of those halfs.
Econ141
The sport itself is becoming less watchable. Ticky Tack fouls ruin the game plus then entire last 2 minutes (10 real world minutes) when we just end up watching one team shoot free throws.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
BeachedBear
Agree wholeheartedly. Last night was a great example of what happens, when the officiating team loses site of their role at the event.

The other thing that cracked me up last night was the announcement of media time outs. What media? There was maybe 2000 people at the game and only a few hundred watching on TV.
btownbear
Bobby Hurley was in each ref's head by the second half and the crew was flustered and fumbling. Thanks Bobby.
Cal8285
UrsaMajor said:

No, I'm not talking about Cal, per se. But the officiating--even by Pac-12 standards--was beyond laughable. NO, this is not a "Cal got screwed by the refs" post. I thought the officiating was "fair," in that it was equally bad on both sides of the ball, but the inconsistency makes it impossible to know how to play. There were 12 fouls called total in the 1st half and 28 in the 2nd half (and Cal wasn't trying to foul to gain extra possessions). At one point, there were I believe 7 consecutive possessions with a whistle. Everyone around me in the stands was just groaning. Let them bang around in the first half, then call brush fouls in the 2nd. Even the Chancellor was disgusted! Can't someone do something about these clowns?
The officiating absolutely was not fair.

It wasn't unfair with respect to the outcome of the game, but in the second half, it was as unfair as it gets for anyone who wants to watch a basketball game with any flow. It was unfair to anyone taking a kid to the game and wanting the kid to think that basketball is an interesting game to watch.

At least they were mostly consistent in the second half. Even with 47 seconds left, the game over, and nobody trying to foul, they called a brush foul on Bradley after an ASU rebound off his missed layup. The contact had zero effect on the play, it didn't impede Cheatham in trying to bring the ball up the court, it was nothing. Even at that point, they weren't going to say "no harm, no foul." Tiny meaningless bump at that point of the game, and TWEET!! Even Cheatham looked a little disgusted at the call. But good for the refs, they had already made the second half a tortuous nightmare, they may as well punish the idiot fans who stay until the final horn by being consistent with the way they had called the entire half.
UrsaMajor
Cal8285 said:

UrsaMajor said:

The officiating absolutely was not fair.

It wasn't unfair with respect to the outcome of the game, but in the second half, it was as unfair as it gets for anyone who wants to watch a basketball game with any flow. It was unfair to anyone taking a kid to the game and wanting the kid to think that basketball is an interesting game to watch.

At least they were mostly consistent in the second half. Even with 47 seconds left, the game over, and nobody trying to foul, they called a brush foul on Bradley after an ASU rebound off his missed layup. The contact had zero effect on the play, it didn't impede Cheatham in trying to bring the ball up the court, it was nothing. Even at that point, they weren't going to say "no harm, no foul." Tiny meaningless bump at that point of the game, and TWEET!! Even Cheatham looked a little disgusted at the call. But good for the refs, they had already made the second half a tortuous nightmare, they may as well punish the idiot fans who stay until the final horn by being consistent with the way they had called the entire half.
No kidding. When I saw who was officiating, I turned to my wife and said, "oh-oh." When the 1st half ended with neither team in the bonus, I said, "Oh, ***** Look out, they're going to make it up by calling fouls on every play, watch." Sadly I was right.
SFCityBear
Why did you write this? Why now? When I am preparing to attend my first live game this season, vs Arizona, in spite of the warnings from friends and relatives? (Someone gave me a freebie). I hope it won't be the same officiating crew for this one. In any case, SFCB will be in the house. In full disguise. If you want to find me, look for two senior citizens moving around a lot. My friend (a Stanford grad, but a big Cal fan) is a nervous type and can't stay in the seats he bought, and has to constantly move around to get a more expensive seat closer and better view of the action. We often get kicked out of seats we don't belong in, but my friend has no shame (he is a Stanford grad, as I said), but I am mortified when we get caught, and leave said seats hastily with face that is turning red..

If we lose this game, it is expected, and not my fault. If we win, I will claim some of the credit.

Go Bears!
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

Why did you write this? Why now? When I am preparing to attend my first live game this season, vs Arizona, in spite of the warnings from friends and relatives? (Someone gave me a freebie). I hope it won't be the same officiating crew for this one. In any case, SFCB will be in the house. In full disguise. If you want to find me, look for two senior citizens moving around a lot. My friend (a Stanford grad, but a big Cal fan) is a nervous type and can't stay in the seats he bought, and has to constantly move around to get a more expensive seat closer and better view of the action. We often get kicked out of seats we don't belong in, but my friend has no shame (he is a Stanford grad, as I said), but I am mortified when we get caught, and leave said seats hastily with face that is turning red..

If we lose this game, it is expected, and not my fault. If we win, I will claim some of the credit.

Go Bears!
As well you should!

Yes, I hope it is a different crew as well. At this point, I'd settle for calling your own fouls.
MSaviolives
At the game, there was a kid next to me--he couldn't have been more than four--who kept screaming "NO FOUL!" He had no idea what that meant, but he knew he should scream it, because his dad kept yelling it. His dad trained him well.
SFCALBear72
The men's game is not alone in suffering from poor Pac-12 officiating. It's also happening with Pac-12 women's basketball. Case in point - The referees in the the Cal-UCLA game last weekend made it all about them and constantly disrupted the flow of the game with foul calls, play reviews, etc.

The Pac-12 deserves better officiating.
HoopDreams
I thought the officials were horrible

One of the worst calls in hoops is to call a travel when a defender grabs or bumps a ball handler.

Either that's a foul on the defender or a no call (the right answer)

By the way, was Kelly's block on White clean? Looked so to me viewing live but I was far away
SFCityBear
SFCALBear72 said:

The men's game is not alone in suffering from poor Pac-12 officiating. It's also happening with Pac-12 women's basketball. Case in point - The referees in the the Cal-UCLA game last weekend made it all about them and constantly disrupted the flow of the game with foul calls, play reviews, etc.

The Pac-12 deserves better officiating.
They may deserve it, but are not likely to get it any time soon. One thing more difficult than coaching college basketball is refereeing the games, and the pay is a lot less. And no matter what you call, some fans will not like what you've done.
SFCityBear
helltopay1
Folks have been complaining about pac-12 officiating since ------Adam and Eve. Just wondering: Do folks complain about the officiating in other conferences too??I can't imagine that all the bad officials who ever lived all wound up in the Pacific Coast . of course, that's only me. you have to vett officials properly. you have to do a thorough background check to make sure that the official in question did not root passionately for a school when he was growing up. If that was thge case, you have to make sure that the "passion" has been subordinated to fairness and objectivity . And, as the hapless sales manager said in the great movie, Fargo, "that's about all we can do here."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.