The Worst Team In Power Conference History

7,928 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbear80
oskithepimp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Make it stop. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2019/2/14/18224725/cal-bears-basketball-worst-power-conference-team-ever-pac-12-ncaa-tournament
socaliganbear
I regret to inform you that you have boothed.
calbear80
My God, how far have we fallen in such a short time because of hiring the wrong coach.

Just a little over three years ago we were 18-0 at home and 9-0 at home against the Pac-12 teams.

Go Bears!
oskithepimp
seriously. It's breathtaking.
bearister
calbear80 said:

My God, how far have we fallen in a such a short time because of hiring the wrong coach.

Just a little over three years ago we were 18-0 at home and 9-0 at home against the Pac-12 teams.

Go Bears!

Yes, there will undoubtedly be a coaching change, but I would like to take this opportunity to give a heartfelt public thank you to Cuonzo Martin for playing the most prominent role in destroying Cal's basketball program and gift wrapping the Groundhog Day like gift of a two year continuous loop of the Cal vs Cal State Bakersfield NIT game. At least Cal didn't have to pay $21,000,000 for that honor like Missouri will.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear80
bearister said:

calbear80 said:

My God, how far have we fallen in a such a short time because of hiring the wrong coach.

Go Bears!

Yes, there will undoubtedly be a coaching change, but I would like to take this opportunity to give a heartfelt public thank you to Cuonzo Martin for playing the most prominent role in destroying Cal's basketball program and gift wrapping the Groundhog Day like gift of a two year continuous loop of the Cal vs Cal State Bakersfield NIT game. At least Cal didn't have to pay $21,000,000 for that honor like Missouri will.

I do not blame Coach Cuonzo Martin who took the $21 million offer from Missouri.

I blame Mike Williams for hiring this guy.

Go Bears!
bearister
Cuonzo dug the grave and pushed the Bears in. Williams and Wyking were not the tandem to get us out. I would like to know on what date the idea of the Missouri HC Job was fertilized, and on what date Cuonzo started acting in his own best interests and against those of The Number One Public University in the World. That NIT game I referred to was one of the most disgusting and unprofessionally handled events I have ever seen by a HC at any level. It was nothing less than a giant F U to the University, the fans and the players.
TheFiatLux
calbear80 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

I do not blame Coach Cuonzo Martin who took the $21 million offer from Missouri.

I blame Mike Williams for hiring this guy.

Go Bears!

I remember when Martin signed with Missour, good for him and "THANK YOU MISSOURI!!!" for taking him off our hands so we didn't get into some stupid contract with him, which we surely would have.
bearister
Needless to say I forgot to add that Cuonzo is a wretched coach that will leave a trail of broken hearts and unexpired contract payouts wherever he goes. Grade for self promotion: A+.
TheFiatLux
bearister said:

Cuonzo dug the grave and pushed the Bears in. Williams and Wyking were not the tandem to get us out. I would like to know on what date the idea of the Missouri HC Job was fertilized, and on what date Cuonzo started acting in his own best interests and against those of The Number One Public University in the World. That NIT game I referred to was one of the most disgusting and unprofessionally handled events I have ever seen by a HC at any level.

I thought losing to Cal State Bakersfield, at home, TWICE, would be the nadir for Cal Athletics. I was wrong. it's only got worse.
calbear80
At least for six weeks prior to Coach Martin actually leaving, there were all sorts of stories (on the internet, ESPN, etc.) that he was leaving for another school. First it was supposed to be Illinois and then it was Missouri.

Also, an AD meets regularly with the MBB Head Coach and should know a little about what is coming.

Was Mike Williams ready with a list of qualified replacement Head Coaching candidates as any good (or even a mediocre) Athletic Director should be?

Go Bears!
The Bounce
Cuonzo, Wyking ......whatever. I just got frosted watching our coaching staff last night sitting on their hands while our players were embarrased and humiliated in front of home fans as they followed their coaches directives.Coaches by nature protect their players physically and emotionally. Coaches were So bush league and out of touch last night Hats off to our boys floating at sea with no captain or first mates on board. Love those guys.

calbear80
805bear said:

Cuonzo, Wyking ......whatever. I just got frosted watching our coaching staff last night sitting on their hands while our players were embarrased and humiliated in front of home fans as they followed their coaches directives.Coaches by nature protect their players physically and emotionally. Coaches were So bush league and out of touch last night...

+1
calbear80
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Spot on bearister. CM is the f***or. We the mere F***ees

I know we are all very frustrated with the current horrible losing situation. But, Friends, we are Cal Alums and Cal fans. We are classy. Let us PLEASE keep the language clean.

Go Bears!
calumnus
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Missouri threw a bunch of cash at Cuonzo, and he left, as is his right. It is a business.

Cuonzo left and we owed him nothing on his contract (did Missouri have to buy out his contract?). Nobody forced us to hire the (third?) assistant. Nobody forced us to to give him a 5 year contract with onerous buyout. I don't mind taking a chance on a guy, but in that situation we should have given him a low salary, with lots of incentives if he can achieve the stated goals, but minimal buyout penalties if he cannot.

None of that was Martin's fault.
panda
For those of you wanting to blame Cuonzo, do we forget the fact that Wyking was on the same staff? Or the fact that we were sold the idea that Wyking was worth the promotion so he could keep the ball rolling from Cuonzo? Or the fact that despite having a hand in helping shape our roster as an assistant, he has also failed as a head coach to improve the situation?

Stop coming up with excuses. Wyking is the main cause for our issues here. Are there other factors like lack of facilities or commitment from the AD? Sure but not as much as having a coach who is clearly over his head and has done NOTHING to improve this roster.
Bear19
calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
"...behind the chariot of the triumphant general stood a slave, carrying a golden crown over his head, and whispering to him throughout, 'Remember you are mortal'" (Several sources)
mdbear
calumnus said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Missouri threw a bunch of cash at Cuonzo, and he left, as is his right. It is a business.

Cuonzo left and we owed him nothing on his contract (did Missouri have to buy out his contract?). Nobody forced us to hire the (third?) assistant. Nobody forced us to to give him a 5 year contract with onerous buyout. I don't mind taking a chance on a guy, but in that situation we should have given him a low salary, with lots of incentives if he can achieve the stated goals, but minimal buyout penalties if he cannot.

Exactly right. How many of us would stay in our currently jobs if someone offered us a 50% raise, guaranteed the money for five years, and paid the buyout to get us out of our existing contract? Maybe Missouri took a bad gamble. Only time will tell. As for all the carping about how Martin coached his last few games, let's not forget that the sainted Nick Saban looked directly into the TV cameras and said he had no contact with the University of Alabama the day before he took the Alabama job. Coaching is a cutthroat business in which loyalty counts for nothing, and that goes both ways. The real problem is that we hired a guy to replace Martin who had never even been an associate head coach. Mike Williams assured us that Jones would work out because the players and recruits loved him. The next thing we knew, our best returning player (Charlie Moore) was transferring and our top recruit de-committed. Don't blame Martin for Cal's self-inflicted wounds.
OdontoBear66
calumnus said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

I was speaking of what he left on the table for us. He utilized two 5* athletes both to our advantage and his and was justly rewarded for doing so. He would have been crazy for not taking the $$$$. I am not referring to that at all, but the state in which the program was left.
calbear80
Bear19 said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
"...behind the chariot of the triumphant general stood a slave, carrying a golden crown over his head, and whispering to him throughout, 'Remember you are mortal'" (Several sources)

Bear19, I had not heard that one before.

Go Bears!
socaltownie
For all you uncultured kids....

Ccajon2
bearister said:

Cuonzo dug the grave and pushed the Bears in. Williams and Wyking were not the tandem to get us out. I would like to know on what date the idea of the Missouri HC Job was fertilized, and on what date Cuonzo started acting in his own best interests and against those of The Number One Public University in the World. That NIT game I referred to was one of the most disgusting and unprofessionally handled events I have ever seen by a HC at any level. It was nothing less than a giant F U to the University, the fans and the players.

Bearister your handle seems to denote a law background when I'm wondering from you is do we have any basis for a lawsuit against Kwanzaa Martin for destroying our basketball program. If we can put together enough information and get the right attorneys who can actually file a lawsuit against him for basically losses incurred by the destruction of our basketball program, maybe we can get eight or nine million dollars out of it and pay for a new coach.
TheSouseFamily
Kwanzaa Martin? Seriously?

socaliganbear
Very on brand for the board.
UrsaMajor
socaliganbear said:

Explain?
socaliganbear
UrsaMajor said:

socaliganbear said:

Explain?

Old dudes making bad jokes like Kwanza Martin? On brand.
Bisonbob
When we have fallen this far there is plenty of blame to go around. Let's start with the weak ADs from Sandy to Williams who brought the phony hype of Martin, and then too the easy way out with Jones. It remains to be seen how the new AD will perform. The little we have heard or seen the jury is out. If the Administration has made another mistake with his hiring we can blame them, but we have been under achieving for years, and if the trend continues it might be decades. It gets sort of old referring to Pete Newell and 1959 as the golden years.
calumnus
OdontoBear66 said:

calumnus said:

OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

I was speaking of what he left on the table for us. He utilized two 5* athletes both to our advantage and his and was justly rewarded for doing so. He would have been crazy for not taking the $$$$. I am not referring to that at all, but the state in which the program was left.

It is college basketball. You are constantly rebuilding the roster. Many times new coaches LIKE to have a lot of open scholarships to fill with with their guys. The toughest job is getting big men, but Cuonzo left Lee and Okoroh for his successor. When Braun and Monty came in their first classes leaned heavily on JC talent. Wyking filled his class with freshmen, too many were wings and a few were projects or reaches that Wyking subsequently forced from the team to open up scholarships. Rookie mistake, but it is not Cuonzo's fault we hired a rookie to replace him.

I can see taking a chance on an unproven coach that seems to have charisma and promise, but if you are taking a chance on someone, they need to share the risk. That was the huge mistake-giving Wyking a guanteed, long-term multimillion dollar contract. Again, it was not Cuonzo that made us do that.
UrsaMajor
socaliganbear said:

UrsaMajor said:

socaliganbear said:

Explain?

Old dudes making bad jokes like Kwanza Martin? On brand.
Got it, thanks. Sadly, I agree.
calumnus
Bisonbob said:

When we have fallen this far there is plenty of blame to go around. Let's start with the weak ADs from Sandy to Williams who brought the phony hype of Martin, and then too the easy way out with Jones. It remains to be seen how the new AD will perform. The little we have heard or seen the jury is out. If the Administration has made another mistake with his hiring we can blame them, but we have been under achieving for years, and if the trend continues it might be decades. It gets sort of old referring to Pete Newell and 1959 as the golden years.

We hired Cuonzo away from an SEC power weeks after taking them to the Sweet 16. The main reason such a successful coach was available at our price was the outspoken racism within their fanbase. It was an opportunity you seize, not an opportunity that you question too much. It paid immediate dividends with Rabb and Brown and eventually Lee. However, given the above, the AD should have been ready for the possibility Cuonzo might get wooed away by another, richer program by always having a list of possible candidates to pursue. It is just the nature of the business. That, and giving Wyking the contract that he got, were the big mistakes, not hiring Cuonzo in the first place.
bearister
Nice try. Cuonzo will crash and burn wherever he goes. We coached up my son's CYO team better than he coached the Bears.
PtownBear1
I don't get why so many people are blaming Martin for the current state of Cal basketball. It's 95% on the administration as far as I can see.

Martin went 62-39 at Cal and got us our highest NCAA seed in history. He got his job done. Meanwhile the Cal administration terminated Martin's assistant over unfounded allegations and subjected Martin to the same witch-hunt. Who wouldn't have left their employer after that for a $20 million offer elsewhere?

It's not Martin's fault the Cal admins didn't give a **** and didn't plan for contingencies when it was rumored Martin was leaving for weeks. It's also not Martin's fault that the Cal admins hired a completely unqualified replacement. Or that a 5 year contract was given to a high risk candidate.
calbear80
calumnus said:

Bisonbob said:

We hired Cuonzo away from an SEC power weeks after taking them to the Sweet 16. The main reason such a successful coach was available at our price was the outspoken racism within their fanbase. It was an opportunity you seize, not an opportunity that you question too much. It paid immediate dividends with Rabb and Brown and eventually Lee. However, given the above, the AD should have been ready for the possibility Cuonzo might get wooed away by another, richer program by always having a list of possible candidates to pursue. It is just the nature of the business. That, and giving Wyking the contract that he got, were the big mistakes, not hiring Cuonzo in the first place.

+1
bearister
PtownBear1 said:

I don't get why so many people are blaming Martin for the current state of Cal basketball. It's 95% on the administration as far as I can see.

Martin went 62-39 at Cal and got us our highest NCAA seed in history. He got his job done. Meanwhile the Cal administration terminated Martin's assistant over unfounded allegations and subjected Martin to the same witch-hunt. Who wouldn't have left their employer after that for a $20 million offer elsewhere?

It's not Martin's fault the Cal admins didn't give a **** and didn't plan for contingencies when it was rumored Martin was leaving for weeks. It's also not Martin's fault that the Cal admins hired a completely unqualified replacement. Or that a 5 year contract was given to a high risk candidate.

Cuonzo is going to need your help on the Missouri Board after they terminate him and write him a fat payout check.
MiZery
CM has been sucking at Missouri this year too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.