Sports Illustrated Says We Could Be The Worst Ever.

4,536 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbear80
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/02/22/cal-golden-bears-awful-stats-pac-12-wyking-jones

Honestly, with press like this, how can this staff recruit at all?
socaliganbear
The brand is dying.
NYCGOBEARS
It's dead.
bearister
Although we are not on the cover, perhaps the story will result in a reverse SI jinx that helps the Bears. In other news....
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HKBear97!
They obviously didn't get the memo. We're like the youngest team ever in NCAA power conferences, have the least amount of depth ever in the history of baketball, Jones was "handed" the worst situation in the history of Cal basketball and....wait, did I get all the excuses given?
PtownBear1
On the bright side, by being the worst power conference team of all time we've gotten a lot more press than we would have had we been just plain ****ty.

By the way, I think this quote says a lot. It took a massive amount of administrative ineptitude for Cal to be in this position as a California based member of a major conference:

"Obviously, this shouldn't happen for any team with Cal's resources."
59bear
HKBear97! said:

They obviously didn't get the memo. We're like the youngest team ever in NCAA power conferences, have the least amount of depth ever in the history of baketball, Jones was "handed" the worst situation in the history of Cal basketball and....wait, did I get all the excuses given?
You missed "most undersized".
concordtom
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sports Illustrated Says We Could Be The Worst Ever.
Since when did SI start covering presidential politics?
UCBerkGrad
No where to go but up?
oskidunker
Great, just Great.
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
59bear said:

HKBear97! said:

and least talented.
calbearinamaze
This is the winter of Cal's discontent. The Wyking Jones era has begun with a 230 conference record, a series of humiliating losses and no discernible improvements. In a conference filled with disaster stories, the Golden Bears are on another level entirely.

A riff on Shakespeare's Richard III.

Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried

It is too much of a coincidence that Richard III is being performed
DC's excellent Shakespeare Theater Company.

Richard was bad, bad man. Although Dick was the favorite going in,
he died at The Battle of Bowsworth.

I'm taking this as sign that IF CAL plays bad, bad Dana Altman's team in the tournament,
in the tournament...the dirty Ducks go down.....or not.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
MSaviolives
Quote:

The Golden Bears have one winnable game left, a home matchup against Washington State. Unless they beat the Cougars, Cal is very likely going to lose out, will likely get bounced in the first round of the Pac 12 tournament and will fall even further into the history books.

HKBear97!
Civil Bear said:

59bear said:

HKBear97! said:

and least talented.
Oh, yes, thank you! And despite all that we still have FIVE wins??!!! We need to extend Wyking now!! Knowlton, get on it!
calbear80
Civil Bear said:

59bear said:

HKBear97! said:

and least talented.

If least talented, it is on the coach for poor recruiting and poor retention and f players.

Poor coaching, poor recruiting and poor retention of players is not a recipe for a competitive program.
BearlyCareAnymore
PtownBear1 said:

On the bright side, by being the worst power conference team of all time we've gotten a lot more press than we would have had we been just plain ****ty.

By the way, I think this quote says a lot. It took a massive amount of administrative ineptitude for Cal to be in this position as a California based member of a major conference:

"Obviously, this shouldn't happen for any team with Cal's resources."

Basketball season is one long Cheezit bowl.
bearister
Not even close to least talented. I remember many years ago at a game at Harmon the Bears got stripped of the ball three consecutive possessions trying to bring the ball up court against the press. Names omitted to protect the guilty.
oskidunker
1990 ncaas vs ucon , same problrm. Keith Smith was the only ball handler.
Go Bears!
bearister
oskidunker said:

1990 ncaas vs ucon , same problrm. Keith Smith was the only ball handler.

Keith Smith is one of the most underrated Bears All Time. His stop and pop was Numero Uno.
oskidunker
Beat Indiana One of my favorite games.bobby Knight was pissed
Go Bears!
Bear19
Well, since there's nothing we can do about being bad, being the Worst of All Time is a worthy goal.
calbear80
NYCGOBEARS said:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/02/22/cal-golden-bears-awful-stats-pac-12-wyking-jones

Honestly, with press like this, how can this staff recruit at all?

+1
calbear80
UCBerkGrad said:

No where to go but up?

After we hire a good new coach.

Go Bears!
concordtom
bearister said:

Not even close to least talented. I remember many years ago at a game at Harmon the Bears got stripped of the ball three consecutive possessions trying to bring the ball up court against the press. Names omitted to protect the guilty.
Monty had weaker teams.
Brandon Smith? Please.
Monty could coach!!
stu
concordtom said:

Brandon Smith? Please.

I remember Brandon Smith having a decent soph season, partly because he was capable of doing exactly what Montgomery wanted him to do. After that a string of concussions diminished his effectiveness.
RJABear
Those asshats at SI ! They cannot say that about Cal basketball. Only WE can say that.

It is one thing for us Bears to complain about the state of our program. It is something else for an outsider to criticize our beloved Bears.
concordtom
stu said:

concordtom said:

Brandon Smith? Please.

I remember Brandon Smith having a decent soph season, partly because he was capable of doing exactly what Montgomery wanted him to do. After that a string of concussions diminished his effectiveness.
Yes, well, my point was: imagine what Monty could do with this roster!
Matt Bradley is shooting a tremendous clip from 3. Darius McNeill has shot a ton of 3's in his first two years. And in terms of being a baller, Paris would eat Brandon's lunch! Those are 3 guards better than Brandon!

Sueing has done a ton as well, in all aspects of the game.

If Monty could get by with undersized Kamp and the artist transfer from Duke at center, he'd find a way to get by with the guys we have. I have no doubt.
calbear80
I don't know if we are the worst ever Sports Illustrrated states.

Yes, we were dead last in Pac-12 last year and dead last in Pac-12 again this year. Yes, the Pac-12 is the worst of any major conference this year and was also last year. But, worst ever, I don't know.

OK, we are the worst this year. But, the worst ever, I don't know.

Those of you with good MBB knowledge, please tell us.

Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.