Vanover's development

3,310 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many here have lamented that Jones can't develop big men.
Not the case.
Vanover's progression this year has been great.

there's hope for the future
Econ141
Anticivech has been coming along as well.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
calgo430
progress being made. should our a.d. give wyking an extension??
socaltownie
Agreed. And last night I saw what I wanted to see from Connor - decent defensive play and rebounding. We know he can shoot. The key is having him be a presence on the other side of the floor.

As I said last night, the key is finding a way for him to put 20 (or more) pounds on that frame so he can hold his own with bigger bodied 5s. He is never going to be a huge guy - but he adds a dimension to his game if he can both defend the block and play some low post.

And credit to Jones - he put together a solid plan of how to attack the 2-3 and his guys executed it very well. You could see PURPOSE in their passing as they probed the zone for the soft spots for middle range shots or threw it over the top to connor who could use his length.
ducky23
What I like best about his development is that he doesn't hesitate anymore. He's channeling his inner klay. When he's open, just shoot it. When you catch and shoot in rhythm, your percentages go up.

I also love that he's been finishing with no hesitation. In the past, how often have we lamented that our big men go up soft, or take a dribble first, or lower the ball, etc. Vanover has been just catching and quickly finishing strong.

I can't wait to see what he can do in 2-3 years
blungld
I could see that by his junior year, we will be worrying that Vanover might leave early...if he improves his quickness and strength, which I think he will.

He has all PAC 12 potential as does Bradley.

This team might be a lot like other teams who are talented but get kicked in the teeth as freshmen (think Goff) who get a lot of experience and develop some toughness through the extra development time and adversity (think our current defensive secondary).

Maybe not next year, but the the two that follow I bet we are an NCAA team.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
59bear
Strength and conditioning are the keys to Vanover's development (IMO). This is the first I've seen him since very early and he has shown a great deal of development in his movement, court awareness and aggressiveness to go with his demonstrated shooting ability. I was intrigued by what I saw early; I'm encouraged by what I saw last night. Now I'd like to see him running and jumping better and giving us 25-30 minutes of solid floor time each game. He's taller than Imhoff was and has an infinitely better shooting stroke so if he can develop the defensive/rebounding skills as Darrell did, we have a quality big man
oskidunker
Guys this is one game. We shot the lights out. It was a great win. The body of work over 2 years is whats important. I am sure thats what Knowlton is looking at.
Go Bears!
Alkiadt
oskidunker said:

Guys this is one game. We shot the lights out. It was a great win. The body of work over 2 years is whats important. I am sure thats what Knowlton is looking at.

Yes,and that's not what this thread was about.

If you fail to see improvement in a guy most here thought was a joke, let us know. But keep the other mantra on the appropriate thread. We know how you feel.
oskidunker
Thanks for the advice.
Go Bears!
Econ141
There will be a day, I don't know when, or whether it will be in basketball or football, but there will be a day when all Bear fans young and old, Negabears or optimistic bears, will rejoice as one.

Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
ducky23
fat_slice said:

There will be a day, I don't know when, or whether it will be in basketball or football, but there will be a day when all Bear fans young and old, Negabears or optimistic bears, will rejoice as one.

Yeah when we go to the rose bowl
SFCityBear
59bear said:

Strength and conditioning are the keys to Vanover's development (IMO). This is the first I've seen him since very early and he has shown a great deal of development in his movement, court awareness and aggressiveness to go with his demonstrated shooting ability. I was intrigued by what I saw early; I'm encouraged by what I saw last night. Now I'd like to see him running and jumping better and giving us 25-30 minutes of solid floor time each game. He's taller than Imhoff was and has an infinitely better shooting stroke so if he can develop the defensive/rebounding skills as Darrell did, we have a quality big man
I think Vanover is certainly ahead of Imhoff the freshman, and a little closer to Imhoff the sophomore (who barely played at all). He already has an understanding of what he is supposed to do out there, a court awareness pretty good for a frosh. He has a better shooting stroke. I don't like his threes so much, but he is capable of making a 10 or 15 footer anytime. He has to develop defensive/rebounding skills as you said, but I'd add to that a post game, and I'd like to see a hook shot, and shots with either hand. I would also add passing skills to the list, as Imhoff was a fine passer, and the ability to set good screens, which which Vanover may develop as he gets more bulk and strength. Footwork is all-important, and Cal great Bob McKeen worked with Imhoff for two years,, much of it on footwork. Vanover has shown already he has a whole lot of upside, and has the potential to be as good or better than Imhoff. Some day, I may become a believer in the "do" he picked up in Berkeley. I wonder how that plays in Arkansas? Just kidding.
SFCityBear
Big C
ducky23 said:

What I like best about his development is that he doesn't hesitate anymore. He's channeling his inner klay. When he's open, just shoot it. When you catch and shoot in rhythm, your percentages go up.

I also love that he's been finishing with no hesitation. In the past, how often have we lamented that our big men go up soft, or take a dribble first, or lower the ball, etc. Vanover has been just catching and quickly finishing strong.

I can't wait to see what he can do in 2-3 years
A guy like Vanover, typically you might see progress over years, but we are seeing some in only a matter of months.
socaltownie
fat_slice said:

When our Bears march down Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or when I can book tixs to a final four. I expect not to rejoice (about the Bears) until I die.
oskidunker
In the great beyond?
Go Bears!
Yogi58
Alkiadt said:

If you fail to see improvement in a guy most here thought was a joke
Who thought Vanover was a joke? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. There have been a lot of complaints about his defense, but it was clear from Game #1 that he was no stiff. Which is important since Game #1 was the last time I watched.
bipolarbear
I liked how the announcers on the Wash. game kept saying that all Vanover needed was "3 meals a day" and he could develop into a really good player.like he is being starved here or that no one realized that he should try to beef up.
TheSouseFamily
I agree with all that's been said above but what stands out to me about CV is that he seems like a very mentally tough guy. He doesn't just wanna be a basketball player because he's tall, he wants to be a great basketball player. He presents himself with a lot of confidence that, frankly, I wasn't expecting. The way he carries himself on the floor, it's like he expects to be there and isn't afraid of anything. He's obviously skilled, but adding that mental toughness to the equation is what gives him a higher ceiling than I initially thought.

Hope that toughness rubs off on Anticevich a bit. GA has, at times, seemed tentative (and maybe losing exacerbates that tendency), but he looked as confident as I've ever seen him in the UDub game. That was encouraging.
59bear
SFCityBear said:

59bear said:

I think Vanover is certainly ahead of Imhoff the freshman, and a little closer to Imhoff the sophomore (who barely played at all). He already has an understanding of what he is supposed to do out there, a court awareness pretty good for a frosh. He has a better shooting stroke. I don't like his threes so much, but he is capable of making a 10 or 15 footer anytime. He has to develop defensive/rebounding skills as you said, but I'd add to that a post game, and I'd like to see a hook shot, and shots with either hand. I would also add passing skills to the list, as Imhoff was a fine passer, and the ability to set good screens, which which Vanover may develop as he gets more bulk and strength. Footwork is all-important, and Cal great Bob McKeen worked with Imhoff for two years,, much of it on footwork. Vanover has shown already he has a whole lot of upside, and has the potential to be as good or better than Imhoff. Some day, I may become a believer in the "do" he picked up in Berkeley. I wonder how that plays in Arkansas? Just kidding.
"Footwork is all-important, and Cal great Bob McKeen worked with Imhoff for two years,, much of it on footwork." Are you sure about this? You and I often differ in recalling specifics of the Newell years and I readily admit my memory is ever less reliable as I age but McKeen graduated in '55 and Imhoff arrived in '56 IIRC. Unless McKeen was a volunteer coach (I don't recall his being on the staff ever), their Cal careers would not have intersected. I remember Imhoff as a frosh doing a couple of drills: one where he stood at one of the tunnels and jumped several times in succession trying to touch the base of the overhead structure with both hands; the other just jumping rope (much as boxers have traditionally done. The goal. I believe, was to build stamina and hone coordination.
bipolarbear
It takes a lot of self confidence to sport that hair do.
SFCityBear
59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

59bear said:

"Footwork is all-important, and Cal great Bob McKeen worked with Imhoff for two years,, much of it on footwork." Are you sure about this? You and I often differ in recalling specifics of the Newell years and I readily admit my memory is ever less reliable as I age but McKeen graduated in '55 and Imhoff arrived in '56 IIRC. Unless McKeen was a volunteer coach (I don't recall his being on the staff ever), their Cal careers would not have intersected. I remember Imhoff as a frosh doing a couple of drills: one where he stood at one of the tunnels and jumped several times in succession trying to touch the base of the overhead structure with both hands; the other just jumping rope (much as boxers have traditionally done. The goal. I believe, was to build stamina and hone coordination.
I never personally saw McKeen work with Imhoff, but according to Denny Fitzpatrick, it did happen, and you can read about it here: https://bearinsider.com/s/1149/sixty-years-ago-cals-team-surprised-everyone-but-themselves I arrived at Cal in the fall of 1959. Up to that time I had only seen both Imhoff and McKeen in games. During the 1959-60 season, I hung out at Harmon a lot, playing in pickup games and watching Cal Varsity practices. Imhoff was a senior then, and I saw him working out in practice, doing drills and working on footwork, but never with McKeen. I'm not sure about McKeen working with Imhoff for a full two years. I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldn't find it. McKeen was a heckuva center, made several All-American teams. He was only 6-7, and had a deadly hook shot, among other things.
SFCityBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.