Make sure you vote in the Poll

3,698 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbear80
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Basketball Coaching Poll
oskidunker
25% may want to keep him. 75% say no. Question should be added to poll.

"If jones is retained and season ticket prices go up 25 %, would not favor retaining"

Price increase is coming, just a matter of when and how agressive ghe AD may be given the horrible season.

On the other hand, he might be willing to sell a price increase if he hires a new coach. I cant wait to see the strategy.
SFCityBear
Why are you doing this? The AD can't make a decision or recommendation by himself without hearing from us with all our biases? Can't we just enjoy the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may?
SFCityBear
concordtom
I would talk to the team first.
Makes no sense to render a judgment without the insight of what's going on internally. Thus, I didn't vote.
bearister
SFCityBear said:

Why are you doing this? The AD can't make a decision or recommendation by himself without hearing from us with all our biases? Can't we just enjoy the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may?

Under the old regime the current board Administrator would be given a 90 day time out followed up by a factually inaccurate Personal Message ending with a threat.

Call me a moron and a Pollyanna, but I checked the clear improvement, give him another year choice. As I have posted a few times here, my designated expert, Don MacLean, said early in the season that the Bears' biggest problem was on the defensive end because they are young and that they would be be better by mid season and be a "tough out." Well, Don's time table was a little optimistic because the breakthrough came at the end of the season. I bet we are a tough out in the PAC 12 Tourney. If we are not then I have no confidence in my analytical abilities.

Finally, I have been watching a lot of basketball lately. When you look at the half court offenses you come to the conclusion that there are very few rocket scientist coaches out there (and it is doubtful Cal will land one) and that it basically boils down to who has the best ponies. Kyle Smith and his Dons crashed and burned at the end of the season and it is not because he is not a smart coach.
The Bears have good players and if we can get one or two more my guess is Wyking can navigate his way to a fourth year. If he doesn't then he is three and done. If he does well, I would not be strong armed into much of an extension in the face of the idle threat someone will lure him away from us.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BeachedBear
Wow, less than 100 people voted any form of give him a chance. Considering the self selection bias inherent I this forum, how can he be retained?
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

You don't have to participate.
Yogi58
bearister said:

Call me a moron and a Pollyanna
You're a moron and a Pollyanna. Like you anyway.
oskidunker
I wonder if the keepers will embrace the new coach or be sad?
bearister
oskidunker said:

I wonder if the keepers will embrace the new coach or be sad?

I will embrace an upgrade for sure. I'm not like a Bernie supporter cry baby that would not vote for Hillary and as a result put the fat man covered in Cheeto dust into the Oval.
bearister
Yogi Bear said:

bearister said:

Call me a moron and a Pollyanna
You're a moron and a Pollyanna. Like you anyway.

oskidunker
Sf City might like the USF coach if he can do as well as Wyking.
Sebastabear
Why is "Are you joking?" Not an option?

On a more serious note, I want someone in the ADs office to show that Cal cares about winning. This would be a necessary step to doing that.
PtownBear1
I'm pretty surprised by the poll results so far. 1/4th want WJ back next year regardless of what happens in the P12 tourney. I would have guessed that population would be like 5% at the best.

Also, I would have thought a lot more than 1/4th would want to see what happens in the tourney before deciding. We've only made the conference finals twice and never won. Yet 50% of folks are saying that even in the remote chance we make it to the finals or win the tourney, you wouldn't want to give WJ another year?
oskidunker
Friends of Wyking or athletic dept shills.
Sebastabear
PtownBear1 said:

I'm pretty surprised by the poll results so far. 1/4th want WJ back next year regardless of what happens in the P12 tourney. I would have guessed that population would be like 5% at the best.

Also, I would have thought a lot more than 1/4th would want to see what happens in the tourney before deciding. We've only made the conference finals twice and never won. Yet 50% of folks are saying that even in the remote chance we make it to the finals or win the tourney, you wouldn't want to give WJ another year?
I think embedded within these "no way" answers are a lot of folks who know we aren't making the tourney finals. Sure they could technically check that other box but they just want to send an unambiguous message. I know I fall in to that camp.
Alkiadt
oskidunker said:

Friends of Wyking or athletic dept shills.
No, just those who recognize that there's more to the story...
R90
PtownBear1 said:

I checked that option as the closest to my feelings, but none of the answers really fit.

You can't tell much from a small number of wins or losses. Too much chance is involved in Basketball. We could have won the home games against Stanford and UCLA with a little more luck. We could have lost any of the last three games with a little less luck. It's the progress of the players and their attitudes that matter most.

If the AD is confident that we can hire a significantly better coach for next year, who's committed to Cal, then he should go for it. I'm not at all confident he can do that, both because Jones is doing well enough and because Cal just isn't going to keep an outstanding coach in Berkeley for long.

It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
91/95
There are too many unknown variables for me to cast a vote.

Did the AD look at this job as a full rebuild?
How do the players and AD's office feel about Wyking and the staff?
Is there buy-out money available?
What do other coaching options look like and what would that lead to massive transfers and decommits?

I have heard that Knowlton says a coach deserves 3 years so I am thinking there will be no change.
A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.
BeachedBear
PtownBear1 said:

See my comment above about inherent self selection. The people on BI are pretty die-hard Cal fans and ARE NOT an accurate reflection of the larger fan base. Anything less than an overwhelming endorsement of the program from this group is really a bad look. By overwhelming, I'd suggest 60% are keep regardless and 30% are in the if he wins a few more dept. If you extended this poll to a wider base - you would see much less supportive numbers (albeit, you would need to probably include #5 - "Who is Wyking Jones")

The Cal basketball fan base has really suffered over the last couple of seasons and those people are NOT voting. I'm pretty sure how they would vote - aren't you?

I had about a dozen friends that were begging for me to take them to games just three years ago. Those same fans (some of them former season ticket holders) won't even come to a game, if I buy the beer. The big picture is rather obvious, once you step out our little dive-bar we call Bear Insider.
oskidunker
BeachedBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

See my comment above about inherent self selection. The people on BI are pretty die-hard Cal fans and ARE NOT an accurate reflection of the larger fan base. Anything less than an overwhelming endorsement of the program from this group is really a bad look. By overwhelming, I'd suggest 60% are keep regardless and 30% are in the if he wins a few more dept. If you extended this poll to a wider base - you would see much less supportive numbers (albeit, you would need to probably include #5 - "Who is Wyking Jones")

The Cal basketball fan base has really suffered over the last couple of seasons and those people are NOT voting. I'm pretty sure how they would vote - aren't you?

I had about a dozen friends that were begging for me to take them to games just three years ago. Those same fans (some of them former season ticket holders) won't even come to a game, if I buy the beer. The big picture is rather obvious, once you step out our little dive-bar we call Bear Insider.

True. We wont know what the other people not here think, but we can guess.We will know soon enough. Go Bears Beat Colorado!
superbear99
well said
concordtom
superbear99 said:

well said
Thank you!
calbear80
Is it the time to vote now that the season has ended?
prospeCt
how many multiple nega-whiner voters? Three years, maybe four, should be the Professionalized College Sports coaching contract minumum duration ( at Cal Berkeley) if student-athletes passing classes, competing tough for coach (Wyking), school

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/14/offshore-drilling-trump-official-reveals-plan-and-distractions-delight

calbear80
calbear80
BeachedBear said:

The people on BI are pretty die-hard Cal fans and ARE NOT an accurate reflection of the larger fan base. Anything less than an overwhelming endorsement of the program from this group is really a bad look. By overwhelming, I'd suggest 60% are keep regardless and 30% are in the if he wins a few more dept. If you extended this poll to a wider base - you would see much less supportive numbers (albeit, you would need to probably include #5 - "Who is Wyking Jones")

+1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.