Toothpicks and Spa Suites: Bears vs Buffs VEGAS TOURNEY MEGATHREAD

11,435 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
IssyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie said:

OK. So when do we go into coach search mode?
On this Board it started 4 months ago.
GoldenBear151
Thorpe is coming
oskidunker
socaltownie said:

OK. So when do we go into coach search mode?

Soon,I hope the nightmare is over. I support the players, not the coach. Offensive game plan was a mystery .

8-23. A 1/2 game improvement over 8-24 last year.
Go Bears!
Eastern Oregon Bear
What was the final score? ESPN's gamecast was a hot mess for the last two minutes of the game. Baskets listed as going down then the next entry had the points removed for either team on at least two occasions.
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
oskidunker
56-54. Bradley made three at buzzer
Go Bears!
GoldenBear151
56 - 51
GoldenBear151
the annoucers are gushing and giving props of Cal
IssyBear
oskidunker said:

They took away Bradley's shot.
oskidunker
Colorado39 rebounds. CAL 16. Brsdley had a great game. But too much one on one plsy by Cal. We need an offensive game plan.
Go Bears!
cal83dls79
Bradley had an ok look, but he was moving right. Back to football and sailing
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Eastern Oregon Bear
IssyBear said:

oskidunker said:

They took away Bradley's shot.
I figured that must be the case since both ESPN and cbssports have it 56-51.

Oh well, at least we covered the spread!
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
calfanz
I vote

#keepWyking
GoldenBear151
I'm not used to that. Not since Rodgers and Lynch were on the football team. As far as basketball...Kidd making that incredible shot against Kansas
joe amos yaks
Congratulations Bears on a great end of season run.
And thank you Coach Jones.
Most excellent.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
GoldenBear151
he's a good friend of mine like Lynch...we always rep Oakland.
dal9
solid effort. showed good improvement over last few games. given budget situation and that everyone is coming back, it's a no-brainer to give jones one more year.
KoreAmBear
dal9 said:

solid effort. showed good improvement over last few games. given budget situation and that everyone is coming back, it's a no-brainer to give jones one more year.
IssyBear
What does it mean when our field goal percentage (34.0%) is lower than our 3 point percentage (36.4%)? There were a lot of forced drives into the bigs, and few flat out missed lay-ins.
oskidunker
IssyBear said:

What does it mean when our field goal percentage (34.0%) is lower than our 3 point percentage (36.4%)? There were a lot of forced drives into the bigs, and few flat out missed lay-ins.

Good analysis. The pumpers dont care about horrible offense in a game we could have won considering all the Coloado turnovers.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
calfanz said:

I vote

#keepWyking
Wow. I know you are a legit Cal hoops fan, but wow. Let's not generate any kind of momentum to keep Wyking just because of a 3 game winning streak and being competitive in the Wednesday game of the Pac-12 tournament. With a good coach, and 2-3 bigs, we could be in the mix for an NCAA bid next season. Aim high.

PtownBear1
oskidunker said:

IssyBear said:

Good analysis. The pumpers dont care about horrible offense in a game we could have won considering all the Coloado turnovers.
Yeah the handling was sloppy, passes were poor, lots of bad shots, missed layups. There were 2 series in a row where the buffs stole it from the point and took it in for baskets.

Nice effort and fight, but a lot to be desired in planning and execution.
UrsaMajor
GoldenBear151 said:

I'm not used to that. Not since Rodgers and Lynch were on the football team. As far as basketball...Kidd making that incredible shot against Kansas
You mean LSU and then Duke? We lost to Kansas.
Golden One

Jeff82
I'm still conflicted. People talk about roster imbalance, but if jones is replaced and a bunch of players depart, you have the same problem all over again. That's the wild card. Jones clearly has an offensive scheme problem, which I'm not sure he can overcome. I guess if we can get Travis or another mid-major coach with a good record, I'd do it, understanding he will need 3 years to fix the program, if there's more roster turnover.
Golden One
PtownBear1 said:

Yeah the handling was sloppy, passes were poor, lots of bad shots, missed layups. There were 2 series in a row where the buffs stole it from the point and took it in for baskets.

Nice effort and fight, but a lot to be desired in planning and execution.
We got zero bench points in the game and Colorado got 10. Anticevich, Kelly, and Harris-Dyson came off the bench, and none of them scored a single point. Kind of the way it's been all season. Kelly, especially, has been disappointing.
KoreAmBear
Jeff82 said:

I'm still conflicted. People talk about roster imbalance, but if jones is replaced and a bunch of players depart, you have the same problem all over again. That's the wild card. Jones clearly has an offensive scheme problem, which I'm not sure he can overcome. I guess if we can get Travis or another mid-major coach with a good record, I'd do it, understanding he will need 3 years to fix the program, if there's more roster turnover.
I have to believe that no one will be looking to leave when Wyking gets fired.

Usually kids look to leave when there is already some success and the coach is your guy leaving for another situation.

These kids had no success the last two seasons. It was miserable. The kids would welcome a chance to win and being coached by someone with skills. And they can stay together. It's hard to be loyal to losing. Plus many of these guys came because of Cuonzo not Wyking to begin with.

Finally, I would think there is more chance of kids leaving if Wyking stays.
graguna
oskidunker said:

IssyBear said:

and the nega-bears don't care about good defense in a game we should have lost considering Colorado is a better team
oskidunker
Your right, I dont care. I look at the body of work after two years. Same. Won 8 games. I wont fight you people anymore.

Look to upgrade your seats next year. There will be some opportunities, I am sure .
Go Bears!
calfanz
oskidunker said:

Your right, I dont care. I look at the body of work after two years. Same. Won 8 games. I wont fight you people anymore.

Look to upgrade your seats next year. There will be some opportunities, I am sure .
Usually we say the enemy of good is perfect.

If we fire Wyking the enemy of improvement will be the death of the program.

The team and the players especially Conor made huge strides.

We have no seniors and one junior. We have 3 maybe 4 contributors coming in. We lose no one.

We will look nothing like these bad news bears next year.
Yogi58
calfanz said:

oskidunker said:

Usually we say the enemy of good is perfect.

If we fire Wyking the enemy of improvement will be the death of the program.

The team and the players especially Conor made huge strides.

We have no seniors and one junior. We have 3 maybe 4 contributors coming in. We lose no one.

We will look nothing like these bad news bears next year.
It's nice to see that you can always count on some things that will never change.

I think we need to work on your understanding of what huge strides actually look like because clearly you don't know.
Big C
We might've won this one going away, with better play from Austin and McNeill..

Now, on to "the big decision". Fun stuff. In any event, I'm glad we played better towards the end: I REALLY didn't want an 0-18.
Yogi58
Big C said:

Now, on to "the big decision". Fun stuff. In any event, I'm glad we played better towards the end: I REALLY didn't want an 0-18.
If something doesn't happen tomorrow, it's not going to.
oskidunker
Why do you think it would be that quick?
Go Bears!
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

Why do you think it would be that quick?
Because we've known it needed to be done for months. All that's left is the actual firing. There's no need to consult anybody who couldn't have been consulted months ago.
wifeisafurd
Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

If something doesn't happen tomorrow, it's not going to.
Only thing that happens tomorrow is the Pac ADs and Presidents stare and listen to each other most of the day. Meetings for the rest of the week. Next week expect:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.