Toothpicks and Spa Suites: Bears vs Buffs VEGAS TOURNEY MEGATHREAD

11,430 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

We might've won this one going away, with better play from Austin and McNeill..

Now, on to "the big decision". Fun stuff. In any event, I'm glad we played better towards the end: I REALLY didn't want an 0-18.
If something doesn't happen tomorrow, it's not going to.
Only thing that happens tomorrow is the Pac ADs and Presidents stare and listen to each other most of the day. Meetings for the rest of the week. Next week expect:

If this is as good as your usual inside information, then I have nothing to fear.

(still waiting for Desean Jackson's senior year)
wifeisafurd
Yogi Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Yogi Bear said:

Big C said:

We might've won this one going away, with better play from Austin and McNeill..

Now, on to "the big decision". Fun stuff. In any event, I'm glad we played better towards the end: I REALLY didn't want an 0-18.
If something doesn't happen tomorrow, it's not going to.
Only thing that happens tomorrow is the Pac ADs and Presidents stare and listen to each other most of the day. Meetings for the rest of the week. Next week expect:

If this is as good as your usual inside information, then I have nothing to fear.

(still waiting for Desean Jackson's senior year)
It is not inside information, it is the schedule. I have no idea what JK is going to do. I suspect USC, UofA, UCLA, Cal, WSU and perhaps Furd, will have announcements regarding basketball coaches soon, but probably not until the weekend or next week. This is called speculation.

As for DJ's senior year, I did say it was not automatic he was coming out. Moraga might be now able to share some information with you. It was not as cut and dry as you think. I think he made the right decision, but he was on the fence until a day or two before his announcement. His mother sat right outside my office. That is called inside information.
BeachedBear
bearister said:

I intend to depart this earth never having placed as much as a baby toe on the soil of that sh@thole town.

What do you have against Sammy? He was a great entertainer!
oskidunker
You didnt go to the Las Vegas bowl against BYU? Great game Levy passing to Lynch.
Go Bears!
bearchamp
Pleased to see comments noticing the vast improvement in the play. Vote to keep coach.
cal83dls79
bearchamp said:

Pleased to see comments noticing the vast improvement in the play. Vote to keep coach.
"vast"? Did you watch the last game? In any event, the fact he kept this team together says something about him as a person. I saw that in the joy he and the players had in the locker room after beating UDub. I live to see that. Now as a coach and proficiency in player development? I'm dubious.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
TheSouseFamily
cal83dls79 said:

bearchamp said:

"vast"? Did you watch the last game? In any event, the fact he kept this team together says something about him as a person. I saw that in the joy he and the players had in the locker room after beating UDub. I live to see that. Now as a coach and proficiency in player development? I'm dubious.

I'd say the improvement on the defense was pretty significant as we closed out the season and that the "vast" label is legitimate. All of the relevant metrics like opponents points per position, def efficiency, opponents eFG%, etc trended positively all season but especially down the stretch. Unfortunately, we went the other way offensively with the season long numbers for the same offensive metrics trending negatively (with the Utah game being the 3rd worst of the season).

For the season, I'd say the defense improved considerably and the offense declined a bit, with the net being slight improvement overall.
bearchamp
I watched the last game. I watched Yale and USF. I watched the last 10 games. I watched Vanover;s progress. The current team is not the original team. By the way, the offense has improved tremendously: much better ball movement, more looking for the open man, much less hero ball. The score isn't better, but the offense is hugely better. Austen has gone from a dribble guard exclusively, to a point guard about 40% of the time. The players missed shots against Colorado, but they were missing shots they SHOULD have been taking, as opposed to the beginning of the season when they took bad shots. Wins are important, but learning and improving are more important for a young team.
Civil Bear
bearchamp said:

I watched the last game. I watched Yale and USF. I watched the last 10 games. I watched Vanover;s progress. The current team is not the original team. By the way, the offense has improved tremendously: much better ball movement, more looking for the open man, much less hero ball. The score isn't better, but the offense is hugely better. Austen has gone from a dribble guard exclusively, to a point guard about 40% of the time. The players missed shots against Colorado, but they were missing shots they SHOULD have been taking, as opposed to the beginning of the season when they took bad shots. Wins are important, but learning and improving are more important for a young team.
I agree that the ball movement and shot selection has improved throughout the season, but disagree with the last game. Cal forced a ton of bad shots trying to score unassisted.
bearchamp
True, hero ball in last 5 minutes, BUT, if Austen makes his backdoor reverse lay-up ( which he should have) and if he and Kelly made a couple of free throws, Cal wins on good shots. I don't mean to suggest the play was perfect, but did you see the first few games?!?!
Civil Bear
bearchamp said:

True, hero ball in last 5 minutes, BUT, if Austen makes his backdoor reverse lay-up ( which he should have) and if he and Kelly made a couple of free throws, Cal wins on good shots. I don't mean to suggest the play was perfect, but did you see the first few games?!?!
Yes, I just felt they took a step back last night. Only 7 assists (on 49 shots), which was well below their season average of only 11apg.
south bender
I saw yesterday's game, after having been away throughout the Pac-12 season, so have not seen the team since late November.

Certainly the team has improved substantially since last I last saw them, but all college teams should be better in March than they were in November.

Generally, the offense still has little movement without the ball, a paucity of screens, and no one capable of getting passes into the post. Kelly looks lost, but am not surprised, since he gets open inside, at least open enough to receive a pass, which almost never comes. My guess is that he has been misused, as he had been in the out of conference games, and that his confidence and enthusiasm have been drained.

It should be obvious that he and Vanover could be an effective tandem, with one high and the other low. Certainly both should be significant parts of our offense. However, the ball mainly moves around the perimeter, with no effective screening. To my knowledge, Wyking has no options that regularly involve these two bigs, who are or should be among are our first options to score.

So often Austen ends up with the ball and some really low percentage shot from a distance or an ineffectual drive. And if not with Austen (the least likely of the perimeter guys to nail a shot) with one of the other perimeter guys who get no help from screens by other of our players.

I was impressed yesterday with the improvement of Bradley.

In sum, I was pleased to see the team's improvement in their defeat yesterday, but came away believing that Wyking should be replaced. This group of players could have done better with a more competent coach. There are many coaches that could have done better with these players over the last two years. Pretty much an average coach with some competence could have done better.

Hopefully, Cal can land such a coach. And he does not have to be a Newell, a Wooden, a Montgomery, in order to do significantly better than Jones.
HKBear97!
TheSouseFamily said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearchamp said:

I'd say the improvement on the defense was pretty significant as we closed out the season and that the "vast" label is legitimate. All of the relevant metrics like opponents points per position, def efficiency, opponents eFG%, etc trended positively all season but especially down the stretch. Unfortunately, we went the other way offensively with the season long numbers for the same offensive metrics trending negatively (with the Utah game being the 3rd worst of the season).

For the season, I'd say the defense improved considerably and the offense declined a bit, with the net being slight improvement overall.
Statistically comparing this entire year to last year we improved offensively, not defensively. Offensive efficiency went from 0.932 in 2017 (ranked 331st) to 0.972 this year (ranked 266th). Assists per game went from 9.8 (ranked 347th) to 10.9 (ranked 329th). Scoring improved from 67.7 points per game (ranked 291st) to 68.4 (ranked 269th)

Defensively, points per game was the same at 77. Defensive efficiency was worse going from 1.063 (ranked 274th) to 1.094 (ranked 334th).

TheSouseFamily
HK - I wasn't making any comparisons to last year. My comments were just about the improvement over the course of the season.

If you're into charts and data, there are some good ones here with trend lines on a variety of factors.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=California

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.