What does Fox bring to the table?

17,125 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golden One
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ah, history, OTB. Like the time Holmoe got called for delay of game and then huddled up with the offense and got called for delay AGAIN. Or the time he arranged to kick off both halves...

Actually, I agree that Kapp wasn't a terrible hire. He turned out to be a terrible coach, but the idea was a gamble. It was a gamble that failed, but a justifiable one--i.e., have a head coach who is a recruiter, a schmoozer with alumni, a cheerleader for the team and an inspirational leader, with others doing the coaching. Looked like it might work after the 1st year (7-4; The Play), but began to fall apart after that.
south bender
annarborbear said:

Some really good coaches - Popovich, Van Gundy, Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer,- have been inspired to spend time with Fox in the past twelve months. I don't think that they would have done that with somebody that they consider to be a lightweight, But time will tell.
Interesting.

I will be renewing once again. Had Wyking been kept on, a good chance that I might have broken my 40+ years with my son of watching and rooting for the Bears.
SFCityBear
Big C said:

"De-emphasis on offensive rebounds"? Maybe this is one of the things that prompted him to go after the Cal job:
"There's a team that's ALREADY playing Mark Fox Basketball!"

The rest of it might be a little harder.
That was all Jones could do. We have no real rebounders - Sueing was the best of the bunch, and Cal's biggest problem was its awful defense. I'm assuming that he told players that after most shots, unless they had a really good chance to get a rebound, to get back on defense as quickly as they could. They were probably told not to box out on offense, because that would only slow them down trying to get back on defense. All IMHO.
SFCityBear
Big C
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

"De-emphasis on offensive rebounds"? Maybe this is one of the things that prompted him to go after the Cal job:

That was all Jones could do. We have no real rebounders - Sueing was the best of the bunch, and Cal's biggest problem was its awful defense. I'm assuming that he told players that after most shots, unless they had a really good chance to get a rebound, to get back on defense as quickly as they could. They were probably told not to box out on offense, because that would only slow them down trying to get back on defense. All IMHO.
Yes, I get that. I was just joking around. ALTHOUGH, it seems like you might want to have ONE GUY or so stay, should there be an errant bounce. I saw a few times when we didn't have anybody go after the offensive rebound and the opponents STILL beat us back down court for an easy basket: Ouch!
SFCityBear
Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

Yes, I get that. I was just joking around. ALTHOUGH, it seems like you might want to have ONE GUY or so stay, should there be an errant bounce. I saw a few times when we didn't have anybody go after the offensive rebound and the opponents STILL beat us back down court for an easy basket: Ouch!
A whole lot of ouches last season.
SFCityBear
HearstMining
UrsaMajor said:

Ah, history, OTB. Like the time Holmoe got called for delay of game and then huddled up with the offense and got called for delay AGAIN. Or the time he arranged to kick off both halves...

Actually, I agree that Kapp wasn't a terrible hire. He turned out to be a terrible coach, but the idea was a gamble. It was a gamble that failed, but a justifiable one--i.e., have a head coach who is a recruiter, a schmoozer with alumni, a cheerleader for the team and an inspirational leader, with others doing the coaching. Looked like it might work after the 1st year (7-4; The Play), but began to fall apart after that.
My recollection is that after his first year, several of his coaches left to join the USFL Oakland Invaders and that Kapp got more involved in the actual coaching, to the team's detriment. I moved near Seattle in 1983 and watching Cal play at Husky stadium in 1984 was a nightmare.
PtownBear1
Does anyone know if there are any players currently in the NBA that Fox coached?
Big C
UrsaMajor said:

I thought Kapp could've succeeded, but he was the classic example of not knowing what he didn't know. At the time, I remember somebody wondering if Theder might stay on as Offensive Coordinator. Obviously, having just been fired, no way was he going to do that (nor would Kapp have asked him), but the pairing might have worked.
Big C
annarborbear said:

Some really good coaches - Popovich, Van Gundy, Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer,- have been inspired to spend time with Fox in the past twelve months. I don't think that they would have done that with somebody that they consider to be a lightweight, But time will tell.
I wouldn't make too much of what he did as a volunteer during his year off. Don't get me wrong, it was probably a great chance for him to get some new ideas and recharge his batteries, but as far as the recommendations, sure, he, as a semi-respected card-carrying member of the coaching fraternity, volunteers somewhere for a few weeks, he's gonna get some positive recommendations he can use.

That said, I will be in the stands, rooting for him to do well.
BearlyCareAnymore
PtownBear1 said:

Does anyone know if there are any players currently in the NBA that Fox coached?

JaVale McGee and Kontavious Caldwell-Pope
stu
Big C said:

At the time, I remember somebody wondering if Theder might stay on as Offensive Coordinator.
Theder?! Everyone in the stands could predict the next two plays he would call.
UrsaMajor
Kapp envisioned himself a "players' coach," and had no idea of how to actually run the team. Remember Brian Bedford? The 80's version of Brandon McElwain. A gifted athlete, but not suitable to play qb. Unfortunately, Kapp promised him the position when he recruited him, and never backed off and told Brian that he was more suited to WR.
Civil Bear
Big C said:

I'm sure that happened, but according to the pregame analysis we were receiving on the Insider board, Cal statistically was one of the better teams at not giving up transition baskets. Low turnovers and not crashing the offensive glass would help lead to that.
Big C
Stop with the facts, will you please!
oski003
Big C said:

annarborbear said:

I wouldn't make too much of what he did as a volunteer during his year off. Don't get me wrong, it was probably a great chance for him to get some new ideas and recharge his batteries, but as far as the recommendations, sure, he, as a semi-respected card-carrying member of the coaching fraternity, volunteers somewhere for a few weeks, he's gonna get some positive recommendations he can use.

Is there any chance our semi-respected volunteering coach met any quality recruits in his weeks with Team USA?
PtownBear1
OaktownBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Thanks. McGee looks to be from his Nevada days. So Fox only has 1 player in the NBA from 9 years at Georgia. Guess that's one of the reasons he wasn't very successful recruiting the past few years.
BearlyCareAnymore
PtownBear1 said:

OaktownBear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Thanks. McGee looks to be from his Nevada days. So Fox only has 1 player in the NBA from 9 years at Georgia. Guess that's one of the reasons he wasn't very successful recruiting the past few years.
he had two other players at Georgia drafted in the second round that had a cup of coffee.
KoreAmBear
oski003 said:

Big C said:

annarborbear said:

Is there any chance our semi-respected volunteering coach met any quality recruits in his weeks with Team USA?
Maybe some semi-quality recruits.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

annarborbear said:

I would imagine Fox was on his way to getting a gig like Mark Gottfried now at CSUN. But we rescued him and he has new life! Well I hope this motivates him to do a kick-ass job.
SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

boredom said:

SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Rather than just general moaning that the guy was medicare and in the end declining at Georgia, what is the story what his his reputation at:

1) recruiting, especially given the academic restrictions Cal presents (the thing is you can't win without some level of talent, even though you can mediocre with talent due to a variety of factors.

2) ability to develop players (has he put anyone in the NBA?)

3) outreach with fans, donors, etc.

4) fit issue: ability to deal with insane bureaucracies or other Cal issues

5) x's and 0's?

We fans went from Kidd, to safe picks like DeCuire or Turner (guys that didn't hugely excite, but looked quaffed for the Cal job) to Fox. Timing or other issues may have impacted Kidd, maybe we were tuned down by the two safe picks for either money or other reasons (in DeCure case he might have waned commitments on a practice facility).. I get that, the Cal job is not exactly Duke right now. But what does Fox brig to the table? I just really don't know anything about the guy..
I think it is great to ask more questions. On the flip side, don't over think with the details when the top line is - his record sucks. This hire, if true, is inexcusable.

1. He coached for Nevada and Georgia. Do you think he had anything close to our academic restrictions there? I'd also point out that he lost out on a local, very intelligent HS All American one and done extremely high draft pick in his backyard to a second tier basketball program 3000 miles away.
2. At Nevada he coached Ramon Sessions, Luke Babbit and Javale McGee. At Georgia he coached Kentavious Caldwell-Pope who might have been drafted out of high school if that was allowed.
3. Call me unsympathetic, but since Holmoe I've been pretty sick and tired of donors ability to be buffaloed by a feel good pitch and a guy who is much better at kissing their asses than they are at accomplishing anything.
4. He's a very nice man. Like Holmoe. No indication he has dealt with bureaucracies like Cal.
5. Don't know. See record.

Sports media is laughing at Cal right now. Look around.

Personally, I was excited about Decuire. I struggle believing that he turned us down with his salary and with Monty making the pitch for him (which I don't think would happen if Decuire didn't want the job). If he wanted the job and didn't get it, heads should roll. And I have to agree with ducky that it is an extremely bad look if Cal chose Fox over Decuire. If Decuire turned us down, I'm sorry, there has to be better than this. I'd rather go with the CCSF coach than this.

But, WIAF, I'm glad you are asking questions. We need donors asking questions NOW and QUICKLY. If they do ask questions, based on the answers they will get, they should be pulling their donations within the hour. This is desperation time.
I'll admit to not knowing jack squat about Mark Fox until the last twelve hours (I'm sure I was familiar with the name when he was at Nevada, but... ).

Sounds like he is everything that was good in the "perception of Tom Holmoe" ('cause some of that was a facade), but, instead of being an incompetent coach, he is a mediocre coach. Not too exciting, at all.

The tweet from Wilner about this choice being search-firm driven also raises red flags about the ability of Knowlton to perform one of the most important functions of his job. HIS job.

I'm far from certain this will really come to pass (see Cal Basketball coach "news" from only one week ago), but, if it does, we'll get a quick sense for where we're at when we find out who he hires on his staff, if other players transfer and if we're able to hold the recruiting class.
Based on the response I got from our AD an hour ago it is a done deal ("...come out and support him...")
Regarding "come out and support him", I'm sorry. No. To be clear, Fox seems to be a good guy. I hope for him he succeeds where he hasn't before. I hope for Cal he does. I have nothing against him personally. My lack of support going forward is not for Fox. It is for Cal. I went through this with the Raiders. If you are going to treat your fans like garbage, I have no loyalty. I will support you when you win. I will not when you lose. Period. I don't have time in my life for this. My support is thus:

I'll check the box score.
I'll probably still come to bearinsider more because I like the discussion than the subject
If I happen to be near a television when a game is going on and I have no chores, or anything better to do, and there is nothing else on, and I don't feel like watching something on Netflix or watching Friends or Seinfeld reruns, I might turn on the game and if Cal isn't getting blasted yet I might watch. Second they are down ten with no reason to believe they are coming back - Seinfeld is going on.

Win. Win big. Then I'll do more. See you in a 100 years.

I see no reason why I should put more effort into my fandom than Cal's administration puts into having a winning program. If the AD wants to completely half ass this deal by putting zero effort in and hiring a candidate put forward by a search firm that is universally mocked, he can put his support request up his...

Knowlton has done very little to deserve support so far other than shake hands and convince monied alums he is "deliberative". The handling of basketball this year has been a fiasco and has demonstrated he is another administrator who pushes paper. He has done nothing innovative. Nothing outside the box. Made zero intelligent changes (or changes period). Cal needs someone with some ideas. He needs to be fired. I know he won't be. Probably for at least 5 or 10 years knowing Cal. I don't care if it is futile. I'm saying it.You s
You seem to be getting more sour lately. I thought what you wanted was Wyking fired. You got that. Now you want Knowlton fired. Is the Chancellor next? The Governor?

As the Queen of Hearts said in Alice in Wonderland, "Off with their heads." I'm all for it. This may be the first time I've agreed with you on anything. Let's do it!

You're viewing this too transactionally. What many want is for Cal to compete for at least conference championships. At least to act like that's the goal and expectation. Wyking was not the guy to do that for basketball so he needed to go. Throughout the past few weeks Knowlton has shown himself to be an impediment to that so he needs to go too.
Maybe so. In any case, "Off with their heads"

I don't agree that Cal fans (or most basketball fans) care about conference championships. Many scoff at Cal's 2010 PAC10 title, saying the conference was having a down year, and criticized that coach and team for not getting farther in the NCAA. What most fans care about is "making a run in the dance." They care about getting invited to the NCAA, getting a high seed with the bid, and making a run. They could care less about the true conference championship, because in some years that does not even get them a bid. The winner of the PAC12 tournament gets the bid.

Many modern Cal fans belittle the teams of Pete Newell and their 4 straight conference championships, because the players were an inch or two taller today and not as athletic. Fans may remember those Cal teams having great success in the NCCA as well, but they have all but forgotten the 4 straight conference titles.
To be clear, SF, I don't think anyone belittles Pete Newell's teams. We are all very proud of those teams. We don't agree with any notion that HOW THEY PLAYED is a model for how we should play now because the game has changed drastically. Everyone would be thrilled with the modern equivalent of those teams because they not only won but did it in away that made the school proud. I don't think there could be a better example of how Cal should do things.
Here is how Newell's team's played:

1. They limited the opponents good open shots. They prevented teams and individual players from doing what they wanted to do. Instead of waiting for an opponent to make his move, they acted first, and moved the opponent to where they wanted him to go. They played the best defense in the nation (after Russell and Wilt moved to the NBA). Cuonzo's best team played good defense. Newell's teams played great defense.

2. On offense, the first thing they did was take care of the ball. They did not run up the floor helter skelter in a mad dash to go coast to coast and dunk. The brought the ball up the floor, by dribbling or passing. They waited for defenses to get set up, because they knew they could pick them apart, rather than let some rogue defender steal the ball in transition. They did not take the ball to the rim. They took the ball to the basket. they ran a lot of the same plays that are run today, but the difference was that if the play did not result in a wide open shot, they passed the ball to get someone a better shot. Or they ran a different play, but always to get a good shot, an open shot. They played fast, to make sure they put up enough shots to win the game, but not recklessly fast, so they would lose the ball.

3 Rebounding is done more or less the same way now as then, except that more shots carom longer distances off the rim, so guards do more rebounding now than back then.

So this would not be a good model for Cal or any team to play basketball today? Think about having 5 guys named Jorge playing for Cal (different p[layers with the size to make up all five positions). All of them just as aggressive as Jorge. He would have been a starter for Newell back then. You think that would not be a model of how to play today?

Just my opinion, SFCity.

1 would be a very good defensive philosophy. That is actually similar to what Braun claimed to be trying. Those principles in practice today would be expressed a lot different because of the 3 point line and because teams rely a lot less on post up game, jump hooks and on midrange jumpers.

2 I don't think would be effective because you have a shot clock. You can't wait for the perfect shot. I don't think you want to rush shots but I do think you want to test the defense before they set. If the shot is not there, you need to be able to pick the team apart. Honestly, the way you describe it, I think with a shot clock, Newell's defense would have shut down his offense. And bottom line, you need to be able to open up 3 pointers today, an area of the floor it made little sense to open up in Newell's day.
1. Couldn't do #1 the same way today, because the rules are so different in favor of the offense. Defender can't lay a glove on another player now. Jorge may be the last guy we see at Cal who played the way Newell's defenders played. No more hand-checking now, and there is that silly little semicircle inside of which no charging can be called on the offensive player. Today it does not get called a foul on the offensive player if he straight-arms a defender with his off hand while driving to the basket. Jaylen Brown did it over and over, punched the defender right in the chest - no call. The three point line has wrecked most defensive principles of yesteryear. That was the purpose, open up the floor to create more offense, and provide crowd pleasing long bombs. We play a very artificial game, where changes have been made of the years to create more offense in a sluggish game. In many ways, they have made the game more sluggish. The game looks like it is being played fast, but in college, it has decreased the number of shot attempts per game to the lowest in NCAA history.

2. Were you able to see Newell's teams play? If not, all I can say is what I remember. Newell's teams did not have to wait for a perfect shot. They usually came up the floor with a play or two in mind, and each play had options. I don't recollect any team being so good defensively that Cal had to wait more than 10- 15 seconds to put up a shot they usually liked. It was Cal's opponents who were forced to wait for good shots or turn the ball over. Newell lobbied the NCAA and other coaches to get a shot clock implemented, to speed up the game. He wanted to force his opponents to have to shoot sooner or lose possession. He said that his teams would have no trouble at all getting a good shot off against a clock, as all his plays were designed and executed to score as fast as possible. The reason for that might have been that most of Newell's players were not good shots at all. In '55 thru '57 he had Friend. In '59 he had Fitzpatrick, and in '60 Tandy Gillis. Those teams shot around 30-35%. When you shoot that bad, you need to put up more shots than your opponent, who usually shot better. Newell did that by shooting fast and then limiting the opponent's shots. His teams usually accomplished both. His teams usually had good rebounders, so they got a number of offensive putbacks as well. That is how I figure Newell was doing it. The three point area in Newell's day was usually always open, except for guys like Friend and Gillis. But defenders were better fundamentally on average in those days and could stick with a man no matter where he moved to.

Newell could not do what he could do in 1959. He would need different strategies, because of all the rule changes. It is much harder to stop an offensive player who is allowed either by rule, or by not enforcing a rule, to walk with the ball, carry it, and charge with it. So Newell would be challenged to find ways coach today and be successful. He was so good at innovating and the game changed as a result. I remember when I was kid, if you threw a crosscourt pass in a game, the coach would take you out of the game and give you a lecture not to do that again. Most good coaches would not allow players to throw that pass. So one night Bob Knight says he has an idea for a new offense, now called a motion offense. They stayed up all night working on it. One of the features was a crosscourt pass. Newell had said there had to be a way to do that without risking the ball being stolen, so he and Bobby put it into their offense, and today is commonplace. It would be fun to guess what new things Newell might try to change the modern game, by again beating the good teams with a team of less talent.

SFCityBear
GoCalBears
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

annarborbear said:

I would imagine Fox was on his way to getting a gig like Mark Gottfried now at CSUN. But we rescued him and he has new life! Well I hope this motivates him to do a kick-ass job.
I had forgotten about Mark Gottfried; besides his final two years at NC State, he had a stellar record in the ACC, going against UNC, Duke, UVA.

Would Gottfried a better pick than Fox?
calfanz
GoCalBears said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

annarborbear said:

I had forgotten about Mark Gottfried; besides his final two years at NC State, he had a stellar record in the ACC, going against UNC, Duke, UVA.

Non Starter. He's right in the NCAA's crosshairs.
TheSouseFamily
Gottfried was 2-11 against UNC and 3-8 against Duke. Overall, 11-38 against ranked ACC teams. Not sure that qualifies as stellar. Regardless, he's damaged goods and likely isn't long for the profession.
SFCityBear
GoCalBears said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

annarborbear said:

Does it matter?
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

3146gabby said:

It may be a terrible hire, but the more extreme reactions represent the kind of non critical thinking plaguing our times; evident in the outrage are the assumptions:

1. JK has no more info than the rest of us; in short no experience, expertise, etc.

2. Whether consciously or unconsciously his motives are questionable.

3. Therefore he does not know what he is doing.

4. That JK as AD @ Cal does not have a complex, nuanced and layered set of parameters.

Reading the analysis by BI, at the very least, the reaction of others in college BB gives me some hope, hope that is rooted in a recognition that Mark Few or his kind are not coming here.

You who are fed up, give JK some credit for having half a brain, some experience, some devotion to Berkeley and weighed a # of complex issues in making this hire.

Finally don't forget every other option had baggage - there was no absolute among JKidd, et al.

Valid points, but I'd say the people accepting this have shown little critical thinking, just trust and loyalty. For instance, why be in such a rush to hire someone who would be on the board a month from now? It's like taking a shot you can have any time in the shot clock but you take it 5 seconds in. Why hire a fired coach who's taken a year off of D1 coaching over a guy who knows Cal and just won his conference again (and who likely would be cheaper)? I don't know how you can say these aren't valid questions that have basis. I don't think it's unreasonable to think this was not a great decision even without all the info because the questions are so obviously glaring.
In the modern climate, where a lot of discourse is political and sharply divided, the same rhetoric finds its way into other spheres of activity. In that political discourse, I've heard both sides accuse the other of not using critical thinking, and now I'm hearing it in connection with this discussion of firing one coach and hiring another. In both cases, both sides claim, and maybe rightly so, to know some facts. But neither side is privy to all the facts. Knowlton may have had this search for a coach in mind from the minute he heard of the job opening for an AD, knowing full well he needed to prepare himself, should the situation arise. Or he may have acted quickly, without a long and careful process. We know nothing about the process he went through, and likely we will never learn the full story: what names were under consideration, and who did he consult with, if anyone? How much of the decision was his to make?

It is easy to paint one coach in a bad light (getting fired and being out of work for a year), and paint another in a good light, such as a guy who knows Cal, and just won his conference. For example, Fox had an outstanding first head coaching effort at Nevada, 4 conference championships in 5 years, 3 top 25 teams (one ranked #10, and 3 NCAA invites. Here are some guys who knew Cal as assistant coaches and failed as Cal head coach: Herrerias, Padgett, Bozeman, and Jones. Here are some guys who won the Big Sky Conference: Wayne Tinkle. Twice. He went on to have a losing record at Oregon State. MIke Montgomery won the Big Sky once. At Stanford, it took him 3 years to get an NCAA invite. He had 2 invites in 8 years. He did not win an NCAA tourney game until his 9th year, and it took him 12 years to win a PAC10 Championship and reach a Final Four.

I am not pushing for Fox, nor am I not in favor of DeCuire, and I'm not saying you are wrong to hold the opposite view. We can all have our suspicions, or theories about what took place in what seemed like a quick hire. But how can we do any critical thinking about this hire without knowing what Jim Knowlton knew when he made the decision? LIke with most new coaches, the proof will be in the pudding, and we can be far better informed when we watch his teams than we were in his hiring process. We need patience for this, and the last several years have shown we don't have a lot of it.

Your argument essentially means we can never question an AD's decision because he might know something we don't.

As I said in my previous post, name one time in the last 60 years where It turned out that the AD decision that appeared stupid wasn't stupid. Jones, Dykes, Holmoe, Gilbertson, Kapp. That is five decisions that seemed stupid that turned out in fact stupid. We didn't know what the AD knew then either. Turned out, not much.

60 years of lather, rinse, repeat is too much patience.
My argument means exactly what I wrote in the words. The words have dictionary definitions. I guess we are back in "Alice In Wonderland" where words mean what we choose them to mean.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to meanneither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be masterthat's all."

Please don't try and tell me what my words mean. I have enough trouble communicating here as it is.
SFCityBear
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

3146gabby said:

It may be a terrible hire, but the more extreme reactions represent the kind of non critical thinking plaguing our times; evident in the outrage are the assumptions:

1. JK has no more info than the rest of us; in short no experience, expertise, etc.

2. Whether consciously or unconsciously his motives are questionable.

3. Therefore he does not know what he is doing.

4. That JK as AD @ Cal does not have a complex, nuanced and layered set of parameters.

Reading the analysis by BI, at the very least, the reaction of others in college BB gives me some hope, hope that is rooted in a recognition that Mark Few or his kind are not coming here.

You who are fed up, give JK some credit for having half a brain, some experience, some devotion to Berkeley and weighed a # of complex issues in making this hire.

Finally don't forget every other option had baggage - there was no absolute among JKidd, et al.

Valid points, but I'd say the people accepting this have shown little critical thinking, just trust and loyalty. For instance, why be in such a rush to hire someone who would be on the board a month from now? It's like taking a shot you can have any time in the shot clock but you take it 5 seconds in. Why hire a fired coach who's taken a year off of D1 coaching over a guy who knows Cal and just won his conference again (and who likely would be cheaper)? I don't know how you can say these aren't valid questions that have basis. I don't think it's unreasonable to think this was not a great decision even without all the info because the questions are so obviously glaring.
In the modern climate, where a lot of discourse is political and sharply divided, the same rhetoric finds its way into other spheres of activity. In that political discourse, I've heard both sides accuse the other of not using critical thinking, and now I'm hearing it in connection with this discussion of firing one coach and hiring another. In both cases, both sides claim, and maybe rightly so, to know some facts. But neither side is privy to all the facts. Knowlton may have had this search for a coach in mind from the minute he heard of the job opening for an AD, knowing full well he needed to prepare himself, should the situation arise. Or he may have acted quickly, without a long and careful process. We know nothing about the process he went through, and likely we will never learn the full story: what names were under consideration, and who did he consult with, if anyone? How much of the decision was his to make?

It is easy to paint one coach in a bad light (getting fired and being out of work for a year), and paint another in a good light, such as a guy who knows Cal, and just won his conference. For example, Fox had an outstanding first head coaching effort at Nevada, 4 conference championships in 5 years, 3 top 25 teams (one ranked #10, and 3 NCAA invites. Here are some guys who knew Cal as assistant coaches and failed as Cal head coach: Herrerias, Padgett, Bozeman, and Jones. Here are some guys who won the Big Sky Conference: Wayne Tinkle. Twice. He went on to have a losing record at Oregon State. MIke Montgomery won the Big Sky once. At Stanford, it took him 3 years to get an NCAA invite. He had 2 invites in 8 years. He did not win an NCAA tourney game until his 9th year, and it took him 12 years to win a PAC10 Championship and reach a Final Four.

I am not pushing for Fox, nor am I not in favor of DeCuire, and I'm not saying you are wrong to hold the opposite view. We can all have our suspicions, or theories about what took place in what seemed like a quick hire. But how can we do any critical thinking about this hire without knowing what Jim Knowlton knew when he made the decision? LIke with most new coaches, the proof will be in the pudding, and we can be far better informed when we watch his teams than we were in his hiring process. We need patience for this, and the last several years have shown we don't have a lot of it.

Your argument essentially means we can never question an AD's decision because he might know something we don't.

As I said in my previous post, name one time in the last 60 years where It turned out that the AD decision that appeared stupid wasn't stupid. Jones, Dykes, Holmoe, Gilbertson, Kapp. That is five decisions that seemed stupid that turned out in fact stupid. We didn't know what the AD knew then either. Turned out, not much.

60 years of lather, rinse, repeat is too much patience.
My argument means exactly what I wrote in the words. The words have dictionary definitions. I guess we are back in "Alice In Wonderland" where words mean what we choose them to mean.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to meanneither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be masterthat's all."

Please don't try and tell me what my words mean. I have enough trouble communicating here as it is.

You said:

But how can we do any critical thinking about this hire without knowing what Jim Knowlton knew when he made the decision? LIke with most new coaches, the proof will be in the pudding, and we can be far better informed when we watch his teams than we were in his hiring process. We need patience for this, and the last several years have shown we don't have a lot of it.

The logical conclusion from that statement, Humpty, is the following:

we cannot have critical thinking unless we know what Knowlton knew when he made the decision- that is your assertion

We cannot know everything Knowlton knew - blatantly true fact

Therefore, we cannot have critical thinking on the subject.

That is not telling you what your words mean, Humpty. That is drawing a logical conclusion from your argument. Just because I and two other posters called you on inventing meaning in an extremely short post of mine to attack me, doesn't mean you can just invent the same accusation back. I was trying to have a reasonable conversation with you. I don't know why I do that. It so often leads to this.

SFCityBear
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

"Many modern Cal fans belittle the teams of Pete Newell and their 4 straight conference championships, because the players were an inch or two taller today and not as athletic. Fans may remember those Cal teams having great success in the NCCA as well, but they have all but forgotten the 4 straight conference titles."

I have never, ever heard a Cal fan belittle Pete Newell or his teams. I'm by no means young and those teams existed when I was in kindergarten. It's silly to keep bringing them up as an example of anything other than historical fact.

I have heard Cal fans belittle the idea that you can simply recreate those teams and have that same success. Very little about the game is the same today. Fundamentals, yes, but the shot clock, the speed of the game, the verticality of the game, the size and strength of the players, the recruiting pipelines, the potential payoffs if you go pro, the money spent on the programs, all those things are in a different universe today. So consider the possibility that while Newell was an excellent coach and an excellent teacher, if he were coaching today he'd play an entirely different game.
Thank you for this post. You make good some points, and it gives me the chance to clarify what I wrote. First I did not write that any Cal fan had belittled Pete Newell, as you said. (Although there were many Cal fans grumbling about Newell's coaching in 1955, when his first Cal team went 9-16 and 1-11 in conference.) Newell's Cal teams are belittled here on the Bear Insider sometimes. Maybe you are not sensitive to it, or haven't read it. They belittle the basketball of that era, and the players of that era. You want names? There are several who come to mind (all in my ignore list). There's a guy who may live in Concord, and another who apparently does not like the Unit 2 dorms. I'll leave it there.

If you are not young, then I must be really old, because I actually first saw Newell's teams play when I was playing basketball in junior high school. I had a little appreciation for the game, more so than a kindergardener. I wish you and everyone had seen those Cal teams play. I bring up those teams to recreate the feeling for today's fans that I got from watching the best teams Cal ever had play a game. They were like watching a Swiss watch, or like watching a surgeon operate successfully. There was just a precision to it, and to attend games where the opponent usually looked nervous and a bit scared, or would once they found that nothing they tried worked against Cal.

I've never heard it said that anyone could recreate those teams and have the same success. As to the speed of the game and the shot clock, have you noticed that almost every team today plays the same speed? They all play fast. As soon as they get a rebound or a loose ball, the race is on to get to the other end of the floor as fast as possible and put up a shot before the defense can get set. And much of the time they never get there, because they are playing so fast they get out of control and lose the ball. Many fans today are under the mistaken belief that Newell played a deliberate game to slow the pace of the game down. That is totally untrue. Newell coached his team prevent the other team from getting a good shot, which slowed the other team down. Newell's teams usually played a pattern offense, but always got an open shot well within any shot clock. As I pointed out in a recent post, his '59 team put up more shots in a game on average than most modern Cal teams, including our PAC10 champs of 2010, or any of Cuonzo's teams who tried to play the fast pace of today's game. One reason Newell's teams put up more shots, is they made fewer turnovers. They did not keep stats in those days, except that one of my classmates kept turnover stats in 1960, and Cal averaged 6 TO's per game that season.

The game is different today, as you said. You failed to mention that the big difference is in the rule changes favoring the offensive player, allowing traveling, palming the ball, and charging, eliminating hand-checking, and of course making the perimeter shot worth 3 points. Newell was a highly respected coach in his day, and I think he would have lobbied against most of these rule changes, because his forte was defense. He did lobby the NCAA to install a shot clock, which they finally did, and it was a good change.

Teams of old had advantages over today. Newell had 17 scholarships to give out every year. He usually had about 40-45 players on scholarship. He stockpiled players, brought them along slowly. There was no Title IX. There were fewer schools recruiting, and the recruits of that era had good fundamentals and skills for that era. I'm not sure Newell would be a successful recruiter like a Coach K or Bill Self, but I'm sure he could coach teams that could win with less material than most of his opponents, like he had done before at Cal. He could not beat everybody. He was able to slow down Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Elgin Baylor, but he could not beat their teams. He did keep John Wooden from winning a national title, who did not win one until Pete retired coaching.

Finally, Newell was always creative, always finding ways to beat you or neutralize what you were doing. If he were coaching today, with today's rules and players, I would say that he would coach differently from the other coaches today. On defense, he would find ways to reduce penetration and still guard the perimeter, if it is possible. On offense, he would find ways to get his players wide open shots in their favorite spots. I don't know what his teams would look like, but they would look different from all the other teams he played, just like they looked different from all the other teams they played in the 1950s. Many or most teams in the Midwest and east were run and gun. Newell made them play in the half court. I think if Newell were coaching today, the entire game would be played a little differently, because coaches would have to figure out how to counteract what Newell was doing, and would not be able to play their own game the way they wanted to do. He was just ahead of his time, and if he were coaching today, he would still be a step ahead, IMHO.
I'm 63 and I've seen and played a whole lot of basketball in my life. I think Newell was a great coach. I saw the results of his big man's camp frequently in the NBA. But I also think if could take him and his teams from that era and put them up against the best teams today those Cal teams would be annihilated. Just like pitchers from the 1950's would, with very rare exceptions if any, get smoked by today's hitters, just like the track records from that era look quaint now, and how the 1960 NFL champion Eagles would probably struggle against Auburn. It's not a disparagement of what those teams accomplished in their eras, but a recognition that today's athletes are just that much stronger, faster, have more experience before college, and in the case of basketball better overall shooting ability. My opinion to a degree, I guess, but every objective measurable you could find would support the conclusion I'm pretty sure.
Here I go again having this same discussion, mostly with people who have never seen a Pete Newell team in action. With all due respect, if you are 63, then you weren't even in kindergarden when Newell's team's played. How can you be so sure Newell's teams would be annihilated by the best teams today if you have never seen Newell's teams play? By the way, ANNIHILATED is more than just belittling. It is disparaging. And I've read this stuff from several Cal fans right on this board.

My argument is always that you CAN NOT honestly compare athletes or teams of different eras. The rules have changed. The equipment has changed. The playing arenas, the floors, etc have changed. Basketball rules today are so different from the rules in Newell's Cal days that they have forced changes in the way teams players are allowed to play, and forced players to abandon the skills of yesteryear, and learn new skills for the new rules. The basketball floor has changed. The key has widened. The three point line was installed. Then a little semicircle was installed around the basket to define an area where charging would be allowed. Running with the ball, or traveling is seldom called. Carrying the ball or palming is never called. Guys like Stephan Curry or Kevin Durant depend heavily on the palm. No player 6'-8" and taller can dribble a ball without palming it. Magic palmed it all the time. The half court line is no longer needed, because teams can easily dribble the ball past it in 10 seconds. The reason they can break most presses is the dribblers can palm the ball. If you are allowed to palm it, a good dribbler can break down any defender except the very best ones. It was much harder to penetrate the lane in the '50s. There was no 3-point shot, so all the defenders were much closer to the basket, and there was no palming allowed, or traveling. Heck, I was watching an NBA game the other night and a guy with the ball took 2 steps before starting his dribble, then dribbled toward the basket, and took three steps and dunked the ball. He traveled twice on the same dribble! Basketball has changed all its rules to favor the offensive player. In addition to not calling traveling or carrying the ball, hand checking has been banned. You can't lay a hand on the offensive player. And apparently the offensive player can use a straightarm, like a tailback in football, to ward off the defender. I say apparently, because I saw Jaylen Brown use it at Cal several times. He would use his off hand to punch a defender in the chest on a drive to the hoop. He was never called for it that I saw.

Defenses today are very handicapped by the rules. A guy like Jorge might not be as good today, because the refs don't give the offensive player a charge near as much now. And he wouldn't be allowed to hand check. Monty's teams used to practice flopping.

The players of Newell's era were more aggressive. Before that era, basketball was even a much rougher sport. When I was growing up, I'd play sometimes with my dad and his friends. My dad was on the Cal Frosh team in 1930. Anyway, after those games, I'd come home with my hands and forearms all black and blue with pain. They never called fouls in those days.

Even with the athleticism today, I think players today are coddled by the schedules. Newell's teams played all their games back to back, Friday and Saturday nights, with no rest in between. Except for the PAC12 tournament, today's players hardly ever play back to back games. Today's players have trainers, and the best doctors that money can buy.
That is another thing. Today's players get injured much more often than in Newell's day. The game was just as rough then, with plenty of big bodies banging. They were getting hit by Joe Kapp in practice every day, and when you get hit by Joe Kapp, you felt it. In 6 years, I never saw a player injured at Cal, never saw one in street clothes on the bench. Today, so many team's have their season wrecked by an injury to a key player. Players today don't have much stamina. They get gassed after 5 minutes. How does that happen in a game with endless timeouts? Newell's teams played a faster pace than today, and often played a whole game without a timeout.

I would say that players might have more experience before college, because most players of the Newell era were three sport stars in high school, basketball, football, and baseball. They were more well-rounded than athletes of today. But they still played in several leagues before college, high school, recreation or playground, CYO, Boys Club and church leagues.

So here is what I think: You take today's teams vs Newell's teams playing by today's rules and Newell's teams lose badly, I'd agree. But you take today's teams playing against Newell's teams using the rules of his era, and Newell's teams win easily. One reason is the players of any era spend many years perfecting their skills and fundamentals, and to transport them to play one game in an era 60 years earlier or later, and those players would not have enough time to learn the skills and fundamentals needed for that new and different era.

Football and baseball are the same. The players train specifically for one role. In the '60s guys like Spahn or Marichal or Koufax and many more usually pitched 9 innings. They could go 10, 12, 15 innings, whatever it took to win. The bullpen was 2-3 guys who didn't pitch very often. Now, 6 innings is a quality start. Everybody says they throw harder now. You think Bob Feller didn't throw 100 mph? or Nolan Ryan? Baseball is another sports where the athletes get hurt all the time, and off they go to the Disabled List. In Football, everyone is a specialist, coming in for a play or two and going back to the bench. When Newell was at Cal, Elliot took Cal to Rose Bowl and his players went both ways, most of them playing 60 minutes. Today only a handful play even 30 minutes at the most.

In track and field, many records can not be compared, such as the pole vault, because the pole has been radically altered to help the vaulter to new heights. The composition tracks of today, the better running shoes, and the better uniforms to eliminate drag all help the athlete get better times.

I agree with you on basketball shooters being better on average today. It is a shame to waste that by playing a slow game like they do and put up so few shots. But they have far fewer shots in their repertoire than the player in Newell's Cal days, where players had one hand push shots, two hand jump shots, short mid range, hook shots sometimes with either hand and floaters. Some players could shoot long range, but not many. In 1959, the NCAA teams averaged 66 field goal attempts, shot 39%, and scored 68.7 points. In 2013, they averaged 55 attempts, shot 43%, and scored 67.5 points even with a shot clock and a three pointer installed in the game. So for all the changes the NCAA made to promote offense, it hasn't affected the score much.

I don't think you can honestly compare all teams or athletes of different eras. I don't believe there are enough "objective measurables". It is fun to speculate, however. I remember at last year's PAC12 tournament, Julius Erving was asked by a reporter on camera to comment on the athleticism of the modern players. He replied, "Oh yes, but I think we were a little athletic too. There are things players can do today that we were not allowed to do."

And there is Wilt Chamberlain, who was asked by Bill Russell, "Wilt, you averaged 50 points one season in the NBA. How many points could you average in today's game?" Wilt thought about it, and replied, "Oh, about 75."

Sorry for the long post, but you pushed all my buttons. Let me know what you think.

SFCityBear
socaltownie
SFCityBear said:

Sorry for the long post,

You didn't watch my video did you? ;-)
Yogi58
SFCityBear said:

Defenses today are very handicapped by the rules. A guy like Jorge might not be as good today, because the refs don't give the offensive player a charge near as much now. And he wouldn't be allowed to hand check.
A couple of things bring me pleasure. One is trimming all the excessive verbage from your posts. The other is finding a truffle in the middle of all of that word salad that I can highlight for its sheer ridiculousness.
socaltownie
Yogi Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Defenses today are very handicapped by the rules. A guy like Jorge might not be as good today, because the refs don't give the offensive player a charge near as much now. And he wouldn't be allowed to hand check.
A couple of things bring me pleasure. One is trimming all the excessive verbage from your posts. The other is finding a truffle in the middle of all of that word salad that I can highlight for its sheer ridiculousness.
LOL. Jorge would have been AMAZING.
bluesaxe
SFCityBear said:

Big C said:

This isn't an uncommon way to coach these days. More emphasis on disciplined transition defense and trying to prevent the other team from exploiting the chaos that can occur if you're not back in time. I can't see why the idea would seem that strange to people.
TheFiatLux
Quote:

Maybe so. In any case, "Off with their heads"

I don't agree that Cal fans (or most basketball fans) care about conference championships. Many scoff at Cal's 2010 PAC10 title, saying the conference was having a down year, and criticized that coach and team for not getting farther in the NCAA. What most fans care about is "making a run in the dance." They care about getting invited to the NCAA, getting a high seed with the bid, and making a run. They could care less about the true conference championship, because in some years that does not even get them a bid. The winner of the PAC12 tournament gets the bid.

Many modern Cal fans belittle the teams of Pete Newell and their 4 straight conference championships, because the players were an inch or two taller today and not as athletic. Fans may remember those Cal teams having great success in the NCCA as well, but they have all but forgotten the 4 straight conference titles.

What I bolded I have never heard. Ever. Not once. In fact, I'd say what's worse, is many modern Cal fans have no idea we were once not only relevant but a powerhouse. That's understandable given those teams continue receding deeper and deeper into history, with nothing to replace them.

I can't speak for "most Cal fans" but my experience is the many Cal fans I know were thrilled with our conference title in 2010, moved to tears in fact. That we followed that up by beating Lousiville in the first round was a nice bonus. But winning a conference title, at last having some tangible achievment we could point to, to say "we are best at this" was a really nice, if all-too-rare, experience.
ducky23
SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

"Many modern Cal fans belittle the teams of Pete Newell and their 4 straight conference championships, because the players were an inch or two taller today and not as athletic. Fans may remember those Cal teams having great success in the NCCA as well, but they have all but forgotten the 4 straight conference titles."

I have never, ever heard a Cal fan belittle Pete Newell or his teams. I'm by no means young and those teams existed when I was in kindergarten. It's silly to keep bringing them up as an example of anything other than historical fact.

I have heard Cal fans belittle the idea that you can simply recreate those teams and have that same success. Very little about the game is the same today. Fundamentals, yes, but the shot clock, the speed of the game, the verticality of the game, the size and strength of the players, the recruiting pipelines, the potential payoffs if you go pro, the money spent on the programs, all those things are in a different universe today. So consider the possibility that while Newell was an excellent coach and an excellent teacher, if he were coaching today he'd play an entirely different game.
Thank you for this post. You make good some points, and it gives me the chance to clarify what I wrote. First I did not write that any Cal fan had belittled Pete Newell, as you said. (Although there were many Cal fans grumbling about Newell's coaching in 1955, when his first Cal team went 9-16 and 1-11 in conference.) Newell's Cal teams are belittled here on the Bear Insider sometimes. Maybe you are not sensitive to it, or haven't read it. They belittle the basketball of that era, and the players of that era. You want names? There are several who come to mind (all in my ignore list). There's a guy who may live in Concord, and another who apparently does not like the Unit 2 dorms. I'll leave it there.

If you are not young, then I must be really old, because I actually first saw Newell's teams play when I was playing basketball in junior high school. I had a little appreciation for the game, more so than a kindergardener. I wish you and everyone had seen those Cal teams play. I bring up those teams to recreate the feeling for today's fans that I got from watching the best teams Cal ever had play a game. They were like watching a Swiss watch, or like watching a surgeon operate successfully. There was just a precision to it, and to attend games where the opponent usually looked nervous and a bit scared, or would once they found that nothing they tried worked against Cal.

I've never heard it said that anyone could recreate those teams and have the same success. As to the speed of the game and the shot clock, have you noticed that almost every team today plays the same speed? They all play fast. As soon as they get a rebound or a loose ball, the race is on to get to the other end of the floor as fast as possible and put up a shot before the defense can get set. And much of the time they never get there, because they are playing so fast they get out of control and lose the ball. Many fans today are under the mistaken belief that Newell played a deliberate game to slow the pace of the game down. That is totally untrue. Newell coached his team prevent the other team from getting a good shot, which slowed the other team down. Newell's teams usually played a pattern offense, but always got an open shot well within any shot clock. As I pointed out in a recent post, his '59 team put up more shots in a game on average than most modern Cal teams, including our PAC10 champs of 2010, or any of Cuonzo's teams who tried to play the fast pace of today's game. One reason Newell's teams put up more shots, is they made fewer turnovers. They did not keep stats in those days, except that one of my classmates kept turnover stats in 1960, and Cal averaged 6 TO's per game that season.

The game is different today, as you said. You failed to mention that the big difference is in the rule changes favoring the offensive player, allowing traveling, palming the ball, and charging, eliminating hand-checking, and of course making the perimeter shot worth 3 points. Newell was a highly respected coach in his day, and I think he would have lobbied against most of these rule changes, because his forte was defense. He did lobby the NCAA to install a shot clock, which they finally did, and it was a good change.

Teams of old had advantages over today. Newell had 17 scholarships to give out every year. He usually had about 40-45 players on scholarship. He stockpiled players, brought them along slowly. There was no Title IX. There were fewer schools recruiting, and the recruits of that era had good fundamentals and skills for that era. I'm not sure Newell would be a successful recruiter like a Coach K or Bill Self, but I'm sure he could coach teams that could win with less material than most of his opponents, like he had done before at Cal. He could not beat everybody. He was able to slow down Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Elgin Baylor, but he could not beat their teams. He did keep John Wooden from winning a national title, who did not win one until Pete retired coaching.

Finally, Newell was always creative, always finding ways to beat you or neutralize what you were doing. If he were coaching today, with today's rules and players, I would say that he would coach differently from the other coaches today. On defense, he would find ways to reduce penetration and still guard the perimeter, if it is possible. On offense, he would find ways to get his players wide open shots in their favorite spots. I don't know what his teams would look like, but they would look different from all the other teams he played, just like they looked different from all the other teams they played in the 1950s. Many or most teams in the Midwest and east were run and gun. Newell made them play in the half court. I think if Newell were coaching today, the entire game would be played a little differently, because coaches would have to figure out how to counteract what Newell was doing, and would not be able to play their own game the way they wanted to do. He was just ahead of his time, and if he were coaching today, he would still be a step ahead, IMHO.
I'm 63 and I've seen and played a whole lot of basketball in my life. I think Newell was a great coach. I saw the results of his big man's camp frequently in the NBA. But I also think if could take him and his teams from that era and put them up against the best teams today those Cal teams would be annihilated. Just like pitchers from the 1950's would, with very rare exceptions if any, get smoked by today's hitters, just like the track records from that era look quaint now, and how the 1960 NFL champion Eagles would probably struggle against Auburn. It's not a disparagement of what those teams accomplished in their eras, but a recognition that today's athletes are just that much stronger, faster, have more experience before college, and in the case of basketball better overall shooting ability. My opinion to a degree, I guess, but every objective measurable you could find would support the conclusion I'm pretty sure.
Here I go again having this same discussion, mostly with people who have never seen a Pete Newell team in action. With all due respect, if you are 63, then you weren't even in kindergarden when Newell's team's played. How can you be so sure Newell's teams would be annihilated by the best teams today if you have never seen Newell's teams play? By the way, ANNIHILATED is more than just belittling. It is disparaging. And I've read this stuff from several Cal fans right on this board.

My argument is always that you CAN NOT honestly compare athletes or teams of different eras. The rules have changed. The equipment has changed. The playing arenas, the floors, etc have changed. Basketball rules today are so different from the rules in Newell's Cal days that they have forced changes in the way teams players are allowed to play, and forced players to abandon the skills of yesteryear, and learn new skills for the new rules. The basketball floor has changed. The key has widened. The three point line was installed. Then a little semicircle was installed around the basket to define an area where charging would be allowed. Running with the ball, or traveling is seldom called. Carrying the ball or palming is never called. Guys like Stephan Curry or Kevin Durant depend heavily on the palm. No player 6'-8" and taller can dribble a ball without palming it. Magic palmed it all the time. The half court line is no longer needed, because teams can easily dribble the ball past it in 10 seconds. The reason they can break most presses is the dribblers can palm the ball. If you are allowed to palm it, a good dribbler can break down any defender except the very best ones. It was much harder to penetrate the lane in the '50s. There was no 3-point shot, so all the defenders were much closer to the basket, and there was no palming allowed, or traveling. Heck, I was watching an NBA game the other night and a guy with the ball took 2 steps before starting his dribble, then dribbled toward the basket, and took three steps and dunked the ball. He traveled twice on the same dribble! Basketball has changed all its rules to favor the offensive player. In addition to not calling traveling or carrying the ball, hand checking has been banned. You can't lay a hand on the offensive player. And apparently the offensive player can use a straightarm, like a tailback in football, to ward off the defender. I say apparently, because I saw Jaylen Brown use it at Cal several times. He would use his off hand to punch a defender in the chest on a drive to the hoop. He was never called for it that I saw.

Defenses today are very handicapped by the rules. A guy like Jorge might not be as good today, because the refs don't give the offensive player a charge near as much now. And he wouldn't be allowed to hand check. Monty's teams used to practice flopping.

The players of Newell's era were more aggressive. Before that era, basketball was even a much rougher sport. When I was growing up, I'd play sometimes with my dad and his friends. My dad was on the Cal Frosh team in 1930. Anyway, after those games, I'd come home with my hands and forearms all black and blue with pain. They never called fouls in those days.

Even with the athleticism today, I think players today are coddled by the schedules. Newell's teams played all their games back to back, Friday and Saturday nights, with no rest in between. Except for the PAC12 tournament, today's players hardly ever play back to back games. Today's players have trainers, and the best doctors that money can buy.
That is another thing. Today's players get injured much more often than in Newell's day. The game was just as rough then, with plenty of big bodies banging. They were getting hit by Joe Kapp in practice every day, and when you get hit by Joe Kapp, you felt it. In 6 years, I never saw a player injured at Cal, never saw one in street clothes on the bench. Today, so many team's have their season wrecked by an injury to a key player. Players today don't have much stamina. They get gassed after 5 minutes. How does that happen in a game with endless timeouts? Newell's teams played a faster pace than today, and often played a whole game without a timeout.

I would say that players might have more experience before college, because most players of the Newell era were three sport stars in high school, basketball, football, and baseball. They were more well-rounded than athletes of today. But they still played in several leagues before college, high school, recreation or playground, CYO, Boys Club and church leagues.

So here is what I think: You take today's teams vs Newell's teams playing by today's rules and Newell's teams lose badly, I'd agree. But you take today's teams playing against Newell's teams using the rules of his era, and Newell's teams win easily. One reason is the players of any era spend many years perfecting their skills and fundamentals, and to transport them to play one game in an era 60 years earlier or later, and those players would not have enough time to learn the skills and fundamentals needed for that new and different era.

Football and baseball are the same. The players train specifically for one role. In the '60s guys like Spahn or Marichal or Koufax and many more usually pitched 9 innings. They could go 10, 12, 15 innings, whatever it took to win. The bullpen was 2-3 guys who didn't pitch very often. Now, 6 innings is a quality start. Everybody says they throw harder now. You think Bob Feller didn't throw 100 mph? or Nolan Ryan? Baseball is another sports where the athletes get hurt all the time, and off they go to the Disabled List. In Football, everyone is a specialist, coming in for a play or two and going back to the bench. When Newell was at Cal, Elliot took Cal to Rose Bowl and his players went both ways, most of them playing 60 minutes. Today only a handful play even 30 minutes at the most.

In track and field, many records can not be compared, such as the pole vault, because the pole has been radically altered to help the vaulter to new heights. The composition tracks of today, the better running shoes, and the better uniforms to eliminate drag all help the athlete get better times.

I agree with you on basketball shooters being better on average today. It is a shame to waste that by playing a slow game like they do and put up so few shots. But they have far fewer shots in their repertoire than the player in Newell's Cal days, where players had one hand push shots, two hand jump shots, short mid range, hook shots sometimes with either hand and floaters. Some players could shoot long range, but not many. In 1959, the NCAA teams averaged 66 field goal attempts, shot 39%, and scored 68.7 points. In 2013, they averaged 55 attempts, shot 43%, and scored 67.5 points even with a shot clock and a three pointer installed in the game. So for all the changes the NCAA made to promote offense, it hasn't affected the score much.

I don't think you can honestly compare all teams or athletes of different eras. I don't believe there are enough "objective measurables". It is fun to speculate, however. I remember at last year's PAC12 tournament, Julius Erving was asked by a reporter on camera to comment on the athleticism of the modern players. He replied, "Oh yes, but I think we were a little athletic too. There are things players can do today that we were not allowed to do."

And there is Wilt Chamberlain, who was asked by Bill Russell, "Wilt, you averaged 50 points one season in the NBA. How many points could you average in today's game?" Wilt thought about it, and replied, "Oh, about 75."

Sorry for the long post, but you pushed all my buttons. Let me know what you think.

For arguments sake, lets say everything you say is correct (that the athlete of the 1960's would be similar to today's athlete if everything was equal - rules, equipment, training, etc).

One thing you don't take into account is OPPORTUNITY. Whether because of racism, segregation, economic circumstances, the boom of american sports internationally, there are simply more opportunities for more people to play at the highest levels of american sports now than in the 1960's.

That is why the best NBA team now would beat the best professional team in the 1960's (regardless of rules, equipment, training, etc). Just for the simple fact that the league now draws from the best of the best, regardless of race, ethnicity or nationality.
bluesaxe
SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

I think that in some ways you made my point for me. For example, you cite two guys who threw 100 mph, one who pitched in the 30's to early 50's and another from the 60's into the early 90's. Each clearly an anomaly of his time. In 2018 there were 28 different pitchers who hit 100, and over 1,000 pitches thrown at that speed. The average fastball in MLB has jumped 10 mph since I was in high school. Bullpen specialists exist now. Starters don't pace themselves like they did. While you can always point out a few hitters who could still deal today, by and large hitters of the 50's would be overwhelmed. In track I was talking more about sprint and mile times, not things involving a lot of equipment.

As for hoops, it's hard to find numbers for college but in the NBA the average height has jumped about 5" since the 50's, average weight by 25 pounds or more. Forwards today handle the ball better than most guards did in the 50's, and shoot from distance. Centers can play outside as well as inside. And no, the game was not as rough then. Not close to as physical. But if so, do you really think playing by those rules would hurt today's teams more? I can't see how. They're bigger, stronger and quicker and they'd not be bothered.

You keep talking about pace. I can't find any real pace stats for Newell's teams, but I did look at shot attempts per game. Cal averaged 61 in 1958-59. Michigan State averages 61 this year. So does Auburn. Seems like a similar pace of play. But MSU shot over 48% on those shots (all shots, including threes), Auburn 44% while the Cal team shot under 41%. I'd wager any of today's Final Four participants shoots 3s better than that Cal team would have had the line existed. MSU shoots free throws at over 75% as a team, Auburn 71%, while Cal shot just over 63%.

And while I did not see Newell's teams play, I look at this video and a few things jump out at me immediately. First, the guys going up for rebounds barely get their hands to rim height. There is a lot of flat-footed defense inside, the post-ups are weak, and these guys aren't tall or athletic. Second, if you think that is a faster game I don't know what games you watch today. I see guards who are so right hand dominant that any defense today would simply force them to the left and take away what they want to do. I am not impressed by the defenses, even without having to guard the kinds of deep shooters they would encounter today. There is way less speed, power, verticality, and shooting to the game than there is now.

To me all that talk about tough schedules and palming is just get off my lawn stuff. MSU has played 38 games so far. Cal played 29 total. All the guys whose ballhandling you complain about could, if forced to by the way the game was called, change how they handle the ball. All of them are better with their off hand than anyone on the floor in that video, or in any of the other videos I watched from the Newell era. Those Cal teams wouldn't even know what to do with a Kevin Durant or a Steph Curry, even the college versions, defensively. Those guys are just worlds better at what they do than anyone on those Cal teams. Similarly, the key was widened because of guys who are now commonplace, really big guys who can leap and post up. Do you really think that would help the team who didn't have those guys?

I agree that you can't compare eras. Yes, there's more specialization today. That's why I think players of past eras would have trouble. Players today grow up seeing the game on tv, have better physical training, there are far more of them playing in the U.S. and all over the world, and on an overall level the coaching is better, in part because like most professions they have the benefit of learning from those who came before. But I look at those players in the video and think there are a lot of objective bases for concluding that the Cal team in those videos wouldn't have a chance against any of this weekend's Final Four teams. Cal wouldn't be able to get shots off, rebound, or defend those teams physically. They'd be dealing with teams that were bigger, faster, stronger, and where even the guards play above the rim. They'd be dealing with guys who would blow through those big gaps in the defense. They'd have no ability to protect the rim. I don't care what rules you choose.
ducky23
bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

SFCityBear said:

bluesaxe said:

I think that in some ways you made my point for me. For example, you cite two guys who threw 100 mph, one who pitched in the 30's to early 50's and another from the 60's into the early 90's. Each clearly an anomaly of his time. In 2018 there were 28 different pitchers who hit 100, and over 1,000 pitches thrown at that speed. The average fastball in MLB has jumped 10 mph since I was in high school. Bullpen specialists exist now. Starters don't pace themselves like they did. While you can always point out a few hitters who could still deal today, by and large hitters of the 50's would be overwhelmed. In track I was talking more about sprint and mile times, not things involving a lot of equipment.

As for hoops, it's hard to find numbers for college but in the NBA the average height has jumped about 5" since the 50's, average weight by 25 pounds or more. Forwards today handle the ball better than most guards did in the 50's, and shoot from distance. Centers can play outside as well as inside. And no, the game was not as rough then. Not close to as physical. But if so, do you really think playing by those rules would hurt today's teams more? I can't see how. They're bigger, stronger and quicker and they'd not be bothered.

You keep talking about pace. I can't find any real pace stats for Newell's teams, but I did look at shot attempts per game. Cal averaged 61 in 1958-59. Michigan State averages 61 this year. So does Auburn. Seems like a similar pace of play. But MSU shot over 48% on those shots (all shots, including threes), Auburn 44% while the Cal team shot under 41%. I'd wager any of today's Final Four participants shoots 3s better than that Cal team would have had the line existed. MSU shoots free throws at over 75% as a team, Auburn 71%, while Cal shot just over 63%.

And while I did not see Newell's teams play, I look at this video and a few things jump out at me immediately. First, the guys going up for rebounds barely get their hands to rim height. There is a lot of flat-footed defense inside, the post-ups are weak, and these guys aren't tall or athletic. Second, if you think that is a faster game I don't know what games you watch today. I see guards who are so right hand dominant that any defense today would simply force them to the left and take away what they want to do. I am not impressed by the defenses, even without having to guard the kinds of deep shooters they would encounter today. There is way less speed, power, verticality, and shooting to the game than there is now.

To me all that talk about tough schedules and palming is just get off my lawn stuff. MSU has played 38 games so far. Cal played 29 total. All the guys whose ballhandling you complain about could, if forced to by the way the game was called, change how they handle the ball. All of them are better with their off hand than anyone on the floor in that video, or in any of the other videos I watched from the Newell era. Those Cal teams wouldn't even know what to do with a Kevin Durant or a Steph Curry, even the college versions, defensively. Those guys are just worlds better at what they do than anyone on those Cal teams. Similarly, the key was widened because of guys who are now commonplace, really big guys who can leap and post up. Do you really think that would help the team who didn't have those guys?

I agree that you can't compare eras. Yes, there's more specialization today. That's why I think players of past eras would have trouble. Players today grow up seeing the game on tv, have better physical training, there are far more of them playing in the U.S. and all over the world, and on an overall level the coaching is better, in part because like most professions they have the benefit of learning from those who came before. But I look at those players in the video and think there are a lot of objective bases for concluding that the Cal team in those videos wouldn't have a chance against any of this weekend's Final Four teams. Cal wouldn't be able to get shots off, rebound, or defend those teams physically. They'd be dealing with teams that were bigger, faster, stronger, and where even the guards play above the rim. They'd be dealing with guys who would blow through those big gaps in the defense. They'd have no ability to protect the rim. I don't care what rules you choose.
I watch that old clip from the Newell era and then watch this and it makes you wonder if you're watching the same sport

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.