Lindsay Gottlieb off to the NBA.

7,194 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

Dear MB: You show some pretty talented comedic traits. Now stay with me on this: I will look forward to your future posts on valet parking, secure neighborhoods, decent restaurants and properly designated bike paths in Compton, Ca. ( you know--where the hoods are said to roam) Hope the limb doesn'tcrack under my weight. Cleveland??Yeah----I can just hear the Cav players saying in unison, " Wow----you can't believe what Gottleib taught me today." I still think she bailed--
Not sure how where I said or mentioned that Compton isn't a rough neighborhood? I actually don't know-has there been some gentrifying there? But yes, I have seen decent Cleveland suburbs, and, seeing you mentioned Detroit, a really great Detroit suburb-though downtown Detroit is pretty weak.
I have no idea what she will or won't teach the Cavs...I wouldn't begin to speculate on why the hire happened at all.
"She bailed"? Meaning if she had gotten a couple more decent recruits she doesn't leave? And she is leaving because they are in rebuilding mode? Its one take, but I think the position was both unique and historical...would she have really turned it down?
helltopay1
dear mb: You are a tad gullible. The only known cure for gullibility is experience---lots of it. Let';s see-------I can be the HC of the Cal women team or I can to go Cleveland where no one will listen to a word I say if I stayed there 20 years.....hmm-----I think I'll go to Cleveland. And, if my daughter sits next to me at the games, she can hear all those wonderful swear words and phrases that would make a drunken sailor blush. You go girl!!
stu
mbBear said:

"She bailed"? Meaning if she had gotten a couple more decent recruits she doesn't leave? And she is leaving because they are in rebuilding mode? Its one take, but I think the position was both unique and historical...would she have really turned it down?
Pure speculation: It's possible that among other things she was not getting the support she wanted. If so we might find out with the salary of the new coach.

But I think you're correct that the opportunity to make history could have been her primary consideration.
ClayK
Things are never simple ... but Cal will struggle bigtime this year, and her resume will never look better. So if she was going to make a move, now was the time.

And the NBA opportunity is a great one, because no matter what happens, she can come back to coaching in college with that on her resume as well.
mbBear
helltopay1 said:

dear mb: You are a tad gullible. The only known cure for gullibility is experience---lots of it. Let';s see-------I can be the HC of the Cal women team or I can to go Cleveland where no one will listen to a word I say if I stayed there 20 years.....hmm-----I think I'll go to Cleveland. And, if my daughter sits next to me at the games, she can hear all those wonderful swear words and phrases that would make a drunken sailor blush. You go girl!!
Yeah, all she will hear at Warriors games is complaints about the choice of sushi that night?
You have it all figured out, I'm sure based on the number of places you have lived. AGAIN...I wasn't posting about the decision to leave Cal, and the crowds of 895 to go get into the NBA circle, but I DON'T disagree with the premise of what is her job going to be like in Cleveland. I do know for a fact (and yes, experience) that once you are in the NBA "circle," that's a good place to be. Does it lead to a league job etc? But, again, I don't get why she was hired in the first place.
helltopay1
Dear MB: PC my boy-----PC. it's de riguer to hire females in what used to be an all boys network. It's called 'getting ahead of the curve." It's also called "virtue signaling." She will miss a lot of time with her family because of the brutal schedule. All this, so, in 5-6 years from now, she can be the HC at Rice. I know--I know--I'm being cynical, but this isn't my first rodeo.
ClayK
I would tend to agree that LG's hiring -- and most of the female hires -- are indeed "virtue signalling" (love that phrase).

I would also agree that the NBA is the best place to be for any basketball person, and the opportunities that spring from it could be better than head coach at Rice. And even if the likely landing place is Rice (or wherever), the NBA cachet will upgrade salary and length of contract.
mbBear
ClayK said:

I would tend to agree that LG's hiring -- and most of the female hires -- are indeed "virtue signalling" (love that phrase).

I would also agree that the NBA is the best place to be for any basketball person, and the opportunities that spring from it could be better than head coach at Rice. And even if the likely landing place is Rice (or wherever), the NBA cachet will upgrade salary and length of contract.
So why her?
Another Bear
My take: a few NBA coaches have figured out a benefit to having female coaches on staff. I don't know the reasoning but my guess is better results on teaching or adjustments and team building stuff. Sometimes having a different person tell you, in a different way, helps.

Also when you're paying guys millions a year and trying to win, smart coaches try new ways, adjust the culture. I believe Popovich was the first to hire a female coach in the NBA. He has won and won consistently in a small market. His winning and coaching ability are often referred to as the gold standard. I think he knows something...certainly more than the clowns here saying the LG hire was PC.
helltopay1
Dear Another: Yeah----you're right: She was hired because the Cav ownership figured out she was a female Pete Newell in the making. I wish I had oceanfront property in utah and many bridges in brooklyn. You would be the first buyer I would call. She wanted out and the Cavs wanted to virtue signal. Marraige made in heaven. Duh and Duh.
Another Bear
helltopay1 said:

Dear Another: Yeah----you're right: She was hired because the Cav ownership figured out she was a female Pete Newell in the making. I wish I had oceanfront property in utah and many bridges in brooklyn. You would be the first buyer I would call. She wanted out and the Cavs wanted to virtue signal. Marraige made in heaven. Duh and Duh.
Dear Douscheweasel...you're an idiot.
ClayK
mbBear said:

ClayK said:

So why her?
On the surface, her credentials are very good, as she's sent a number of players to the WNBA, and has made numerous trips to the tournament.

She's also straight (with a mixed-race child, no less), articulate, personable and certainly has accumulated some knowledge over the years. And her weaknesses -- in-game coaching, recruiting -- are not liabilities in her NBA job.
helltopay1
Dear clay: You hit it: Other than being a good coach or a good recruiter, she has other assets which are marketable.
helltopay1
Dear Another: You are indeed "another" of the less tolerant types frequently found on these blogs and others. Please stand in line for your participation trophy.
Another Bear
Yo helltopay...go play on the freeway...at night.
Yogi58
ClayK said:

mbBear said:

ClayK said:

So why her?
On the surface, her credentials are very good, as she's sent a number of players to the WNBA, and has made numerous trips to the tournament.

She's also straight (with a mixed-race child, no less), articulate, personable and certainly has accumulated some knowledge over the years. And her weaknesses -- in-game coaching, recruiting -- are not liabilities in her NBA job.
Recruiting is a weakness? Recruiting is the only thing that was getting her in the tournament.
GBear4Life
too much bear-on-bear aggression here.

Less

More

It's hard to believe anybody's reaction to the landmark hire isn't anything but being thrilled for her, and its positive implications on Cal.
helltopay1
Ask the Cal players if they are thrilled. also, ask the parents of the players if they are thrilled. Then, post the results on the board.
helltopay1
gBear: nice post. You are a born mediator. There's an old saying in Washington: " No matter how cynical you are, you are behind the curve." That partly explains my sentiment in this matter. But, I do appreciate your attempt to separate the warring parties----er, bears.
ClayK
Yogi Bear said:

ClayK said:

mbBear said:

ClayK said:

So why her?

Recruiting is a weakness? Recruiting is the only thing that was getting her in the tournament.
Check out next year's roster, especially with McKenzie Forbes transferring. That group does not seem like one collected by a quality recruiter.
Yogi58
ClayK said:

Yogi Bear said:

ClayK said:

mbBear said:

ClayK said:

So why her?

Check out next year's roster, especially with McKenzie Forbes transferring. That group does not seem like one collected by a quality recruiter.
I'm talking about THIS year. If her recruiting was starting to fall off, all the more reason for her to jump ship (that's what Cuonzo did as well). But recruiting overall was not a weakness. If it was, she'd never have gotten to the women's final.
helltopay1
"jumping ship" because your recruiting is "falling off" is not exactly a good character trait that jumps pff the page on your resume. How about remaining loyal to your players, parents, staff, and alumni by displaying superior coaching skills as well as a superior brand of loyalty and care when adversity begins to rear its ugly head?? Anybody can jump ship when things start to go south.....good Captains stay on board ship and rally the remaining sailors on board to right the listing ship.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.