Marcus Bagley

14,608 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

he is still the best freshman big man I've seen at Cal.

How about Shareef?

I think that both were about the same height.

Rabb was supposedly 2" taller. I always thought of Shareef as a three, with that frame and skill set.
Funny I remember Shareef as a low block, back to the basket guy. Also je guarded the 4 or 5. Did.Not.Miss inside 10 feet.
He was essentially a PF type player in college. He could face up in the post too. Just an incredibly skilled and quick low post player.

Rabb was a very skilled D1 player. He was not in the same galaxy as Shareef.
Yogi011
SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

Rabb was supposedly 2" taller. I always thought of Shareef as a three, with that frame and skill set.
Funny I remember Shareef as a low block, back to the basket guy. Also je guarded the 4 or 5. Did.Not.Miss inside 10 feet.
You are right as well. Maybe it is a matter of semantics. I think of him as a three, because he was finesse player.
Maybe it is a matter of you not admitting when you're wrong.
SFCityBear
BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

You are right as well. Maybe it is a matter of semantics. I think of him as a three, because he was finesse player.

Maybe it is a matter of you not willing to allow someone to have a little different opinion. I am talking about type of frame and style of play, finesse, vs bulk, muscle, strength and brawn of players like Williams, Madsen, Powe, and yes, Ivan Rabb. I remember Kareem getting hurt for a game in the NBA finals, and Magic Johnson played center, with his back to the basket. He played the position with finesse, like a Shareef, and not by bullying his way to the rim. He scored 40 points, and it was a thing of beauty. You put a slightly thinner or somewhat smaller player with great fundamental skills inside with his back to the basket, using footwork and feints to get position, and he can score all day on many of the bigger stronger, but often slower big men who usually play near the basket. Magic had a hook shot, which made it even easier for him to play the 5. I am not talking about what position Shareef played, which is what Fuzzy and your are talking about, apparently. I did not say.Shareef was a 3. Anyone who would say that does not know much about Shareef and his career. Shareef played the 4, and I never said he didn't. I said "I think of him LIKE a three" in that he brings fundamental skills of a thinner or shorter player and is quicker with better moves, that can get him open shots against bigger stronger players. We all have our own way of looking at the game. IMO both views are valid.
SFCityBear
FuzzyWuzzy
SFCityBear said:

BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

Maybe it is a matter of you not willing to allow someone to have a little different opinion. I am talking about type of frame and style of play, finesse, vs bulk, muscle, strength and brawn of players like Williams, Madsen, Powe, and yes, Ivan Rabb. I remember Kareem getting hurt for a game in the NBA finals, and Magic Johnson played center, with his back to the basket. He played the position with finesse, like a Shareef, and not by bullying his way to the rim. He scored 40 points, and it was a thing of beauty. You put a slightly thinner or somewhat smaller player with great fundamental skills inside with his back to the basket, using footwork and feints to get position, and he can score all day on many of the bigger stronger, but often slower big men who usually play near the basket. Magic had a hook shot, which made it even easier for him to play the 5. I am not talking about what position Shareef played, which is what Fuzzy and your are talking about, apparently. I did not say.Shareef was a 3. Anyone who would say that does not know much about Shareef and his career. Shareef played the 4, and I never said he didn't. I said "I think of him LIKE a three" in that he brings fundamental skills of a thinner or shorter player and is quicker with better moves, that can get him open shots against bigger stronger players. We all have our own way of looking at the game. IMO both views are valid.
Geez man. The conversation was about the best frosh big man at Cal and you tried to argue that Shareef was not a better frosh big than Ivan because he is not a big. Is it so bad to admit you forgot about Shareef (and Leon)?

Magic scored 42 in that game, by the way.
SFCityBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

Geez man. The conversation was about the best frosh big man at Cal and you tried to argue that Shareef was not a better frosh big than Ivan because he is not a big. Is it so bad to admit you forgot about Shareef (and Leon)?

Geez man yourself. Where did I ever argue or state that Shareef was not a big? With all due respect, a little reading comprehension is in order. He played power forward when Yogi was the center, and he played center when Fowlkes or Gonzalez was the PF at Cal.

I concede your points about how good Shareef was and I said so already. But he was not a traditional front line low block power forward. He was a skilled low block scorer, but he set up on the perimeter like a three, and was highly skilled at getting to the low block from there. When Cal came down the floor, Shareef did not usually set up on the low block. If you remember, Bozeman had him set up on the left sideline, or left corner, perhaps to draw his man, who was also a power forward, away from the basket. When they passed Shareef the ball, Bozeman would often have the other four Cal players run to the right sideline, to set up an isolation play for Shareef, one-on-one against his lone defender, while the other defenders were too far away to help double team Shareef. If Shareef was up against a slower defender, he would slash right by him to the basket. Sometimes he would shoot a three. But most of the time, Shareef was up against a good defender, and in those cases, Shareef would turn his back to the basket, and back his defender into the low block, which was about 15 feet away, back and forth yo-yoing his dribble gaining a few inches with each bounce of the ball. Finally, when he felt he was so close he couldn't miss, he turned and shot, and made the shot most of the time. That is my memory of Shareef and Cal in 1996. I don't know if NBA coaches used Shareef in the same way, because I never saw him play an NBA game. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember Shareef playing in 1996.

That team was a good team, finishing 17-11 in 4th place in the PAC10, but was easily beaten in the first round of the NCAA. Contrast that with the following year 1996-97, when Ben Braun took over the team with many of the same players, minus Shareef, who had left for the NBA draft. That team went 23-9, finished 3rd in the PAC10, knocked off both Princeton and #20 Villanova in the NCAA, before losing in the Sweet 16 to North Carolina (and who knows how far they could have gone, if Ed Gray hadn't gotten hurt?)

I would argue that the '97 team was better than the '96 team, and one of the reasons was they did not use isolation plays as much as Bozeman used them, and the primary guy he used for them was Shareef. The '97 team played much better team ball than the '96 team. In 1996 with Bozeman and Shareef, the Bears were 203rd out of 306 teams in assists, 165th in made field goals. They made 51% of their field goals from assist passes. In 1997, the Bears were 27th out of 306 teams in assists, and 27th in made field goals. They made 60% of their field goals from assist passes.

There are other reasons for the remarkable difference besides the departure of Shareef. Fowlkes, Gardner, and Bozeman also left. McGruder became the point guard, beating out McQueen. Al Grigsby returned to become a starter, when he had only been able to play 4 games in 1996. Marks was able to play a little more. I am a bigger fan of team play than I am of individual stars, because I was always taught that good teams could beat a team that had one or two stars, and so when I see our Bears play what Ducky23 calls "iso ball", I marvel at the talent, but inside my heart, I know a team with a star isolated going one-on-one or one-on-two, is not likely going to win championships, it is 5 players working together to make each other better, which is what the game is all about, for me, at least.

As for Powe, he was a traditional low-block big, who always set up near the basket, and rarely ventured far from the hoop. A very powerful player, very different from Shareef. One thing he and Shareef had in common was their coaches probably wanted them both to score when they got the ball, no matter who was guarding them, and not spend time looking for open teammates. Another thing they both had in common was neither one's teams when they were freshmen had successful seasons, considering the talented teammates they both had. A lot of that is due to the coaching, and not the fault of the individual players.

Thanks for the correction on Magic's 42 points.
SFCityBear
FuzzyWuzzy
SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

Geez man yourself. Where did I ever argue or state that Shareef was not a big? With all due respect, a little reading comprehension is in order. He played power forward when Yogi was the center, and he played center when Fowlkes or Gonzalez was the PF at Cal.

I concede your points about how good Shareef was and I said so already. But he was not a traditional front line low block power forward. He was a skilled low block scorer, but he set up on the perimeter like a three, and was highly skilled at getting to the low block from there. When Cal came down the floor, Shareef did not usually set up on the low block. If you remember, Bozeman had him set up on the left sideline, or left corner, perhaps to draw his man, who was also a power forward, away from the basket. When they passed Shareef the ball, Bozeman would often have the other four Cal players run to the right sideline, to set up an isolation play for Shareef, one-on-one against his lone defender, while the other defenders were too far away to help double team Shareef. If Shareef was up against a slower defender, he would slash right by him to the basket. Sometimes he would shoot a three. But most of the time, Shareef was up against a good defender, and in those cases, Shareef would turn his back to the basket, and back his defender into the low block, which was about 15 feet away, back and forth yo-yoing his dribble gaining a few inches with each bounce of the ball. Finally, when he felt he was so close he couldn't miss, he turned and shot, and made the shot most of the time. That is my memory of Shareef and Cal in 1996. I don't know if NBA coaches used Shareef in the same way, because I never saw him play an NBA game. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember Shareef playing in 1996.

That team was a good team, finishing 17-11 in 4th place in the PAC10, but was easily beaten in the first round of the NCAA. Contrast that with the following year 1996-97, when Ben Braun took over the team with many of the same players, minus Shareef, who had left for the NBA draft. That team went 23-9, finished 3rd in the PAC10, knocked off both Princeton and #20 Villanova in the NCAA, before losing in the Sweet 16 to North Carolina (and who knows how far they could have gone, if Ed Gray hadn't gotten hurt?)

I would argue that the '97 team was better than the '96 team, and one of the reasons was they did not use isolation plays as much as Bozeman used them, and the primary guy he used for them was Shareef. The '97 team played much better team ball than the '96 team. In 1996 with Bozeman and Shareef, the Bears were 203rd out of 306 teams in assists, 165th in made field goals. They made 51% of their field goals from assist passes. In 1997, the Bears were 27th out of 306 teams in assists, and 27th in made field goals. They made 60% of their field goals from assist passes.

There are other reasons for the remarkable difference besides the departure of Shareef. Fowlkes, Gardner, and Bozeman also left. McGruder became the point guard, beating out McQueen. Al Grigsby returned to become a starter, when he had only been able to play 4 games in 1996. Marks was able to play a little more. I am a bigger fan of team play than I am of individual stars, because I was always taught that good teams could beat a team that had one or two stars, and so when I see our Bears play what Ducky23 calls "iso ball", I marvel at the talent, but inside my heart, I know a team with a star isolated going one-on-one or one-on-two, is not likely going to win championships, it is 5 players working together to make each other better, which is what the game is all about, for me, at least.

As for Powe, he was a traditional low-block big, who always set up near the basket, and rarely ventured far from the hoop. A very powerful player, very different from Shareef. One thing he and Shareef had in common was their coaches probably wanted them both to score when they got the ball, no matter who was guarding them, and not spend time looking for open teammates. Another thing they both had in common was neither one's teams when they were freshmen had successful seasons, considering the talented teammates they both had. A lot of that is due to the coaching, and not the fault of the individual players.

And after another 1,000 word post your point is? I'll just paste my prior post because it still applies:
SFCityBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

And after another 1,000 word post your point is? I'll just paste my prior post because it still applies:

I guess you just can't grasp the concept that it is weak, and it ain't right trying to put words in someone else's mouth. I never said what you accuse me of saying.
SFCityBear
Yogi011
SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

I guess you just can't grasp the concept that it is weak, and it ain't right trying to put words in someone else's mouth. I never said what you accuse me of saying.
It's so astounding how so many people can misunderstand you. I guess you just exist on a higher plane than the rest of us.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

BearNakedLadies said:

SFCityBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

SFCityBear said:

south bender said:

SFCityBear said:

How about Shareef?

You said:

Quote:

He was one of the best big men in Cal history, certainly the best freshman big man to ever come to Cal. Only Ansley Truitt comes close.
southbender asked about Shareef. You said:

Quote:

I always thought of Shareef as a three, with that frame and skill set.
Then you said:

Quote:

Where did I ever argue or state that Shareef was not a big? With all due respect, a little reading comprehension is in order.
and

Quote:

it ain't right trying to put words in someone else's mouth.

I am not going to argue what you meant by that. I'm just going to put it there. Those are your words. People can judge for themselves whether your accusation regarding Fuzzy that a little reading comprehension was in order and he put words in your mouth. Oh, wait. You didn't actually say he put words in your mouth. You just randomly stated that it isn't right to put words in someone else's mouth. I apologize. Maybe you were just making a statement that had nothing to do with Fuzzy.

I would like to clarify your opinion. You said that Ivan Rabb was the best freshman big man. You said only Truitt came close. I had logic at Cal, so I'm decent at it. That means that either Shareef wasn't a big man, or he didn't come close to being as good as Rabb.

Please answer simple questions, yes or no.

Was Shareef a big man? yes or no

Was Ivan Rabb better as a freshman than Shareef? yes or no

Was Shareef not even close to as good as Ivan Rabb as a freshman? yes or no.

I think this would clear things up.

Since you gave some arguments to support Rabb being the best, including 1st team All Pac Freshman center and 2nd team All Pac, I'm going to give some points on Shareef:

At California, he averaged 21.1 points per game (ppg) and 8.4 rebounds per game (rpg) in 28 games.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareef_Abdur-Rahim#cite_note-bio-2][2][/url] He was the first freshman in Pac-10 history to win Conference Player of the Year honors, and was named Third Team All-America by the Associated Press.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareef_Abdur-Rahim#cite_note-bio-2][2][/url] Also named the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, Abdur-Rahim set single-season freshman records for points, scoring average, field goals, and free throws.

I'm going to point out that in rebounding - Shareef had 8.4 to Rabb's 8.5. In blocks, Shareef had 1.3 to Rabb's 1.2. While not exclusively big man numbers, they tend to be. Shareef scored 8.7 more points a game than Rabb. I think there is no way to argue Rabb was remotely close to Shareef. Given that Shareef was 6'9", heavier than Rabb and played power forward and center, if you WERE to argue he wasn't a big, I'd have to disagree. I also have to say that my memory is different from yours (doesn't make it correct). I remember him primarily playing low block and posting up. He scored a lot more 2 point shots than Rabb did.

I'm going to add a name to the list. Ryan Anderson was 6'9, played center and power forward, scored 4 points more a game than Rabb and had 8.2 rebounds a game. He scored a lot back to the basket. I'm guessing you wouldn't make him a "big man" because of his three point shooting prowess. I'd disagree with that. In any case, whatever you call them if you asked me which player I'd want from his freshman season, it would be Shareef by a wide margin over Anderson and Anderson by a wide margin over Rabb.

GBear4Life
Oh without question Ryan Anderson was better (i.e. more impactful/dominate) than Rabb, at least RA's sophomore year.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

Oh without question Ryan Anderson was better (i.e. more impactful/dominate) than Rabb, at least RA's sophomore year.
Yeah, I was using freshman only stats. Even more so over the course of their complete 2 year career.
Big C
There are three guys who are all approximately the same size (well, height anyway) who could all play on my Cal team any day of the week! The main difference is that Ivan is less of a shooter/scorer than the other two.
Yogi011
Big C said:

There are three guys who are all approximately the same size (well, height anyway) who could all play on my Cal team any day of the week! The main difference is that Ivan is less of a shooter/scorer than the other two.
Yeah, but he didn't make up for that with defense. His strength was rebounding.
south bender
BearNakedLadies said:

Big C said:

Yeah, but he didn't make up for that with defense. His strength was rebounding.
Agreed.

I think that his playing center in high school probably hindered his offensive development. His ability to move by dribbling the ball was really limited, at least when we saw him at Cal.

Not sure how to explain his mediocre defense.
HoopDreams
I remember thinking Ryan had a lot of finesse moves around the basket

Just think if he stayed one more year at cal

It would have been the best shooting team in the nation
Big C
Could you imagine our Pac 12 Championship team with Ryan Anderson on it? (woulda needed to have stayed 2 more years, but still...)
GBear4Life
Today, I'd rather have 20 year old Devon Hardin than 20 year old Rabb.
BeachedBear
GBear4Life said:

Do you mean for today's style of play? (Primarily in the NBA) or relative to their era?
GBear4Life
BeachedBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Do you mean for today's style of play? (Primarily in the NBA) or relative to their era?
today's style of play

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.