NCAA Tourney without spectators

6,095 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oskidunker
NathanAllen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
It's officially starting...

GoCal80
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/03/11/ncaa-tournament-fans-banned-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/5024027002/

It's been extended to all NCAA tournament games. This will be an advantage to Stanford if they get an invite as they are used to playing without fans.
KenBurnski
Lol nice
TheSouseFamily
Well this is gonna be an interesting tourney.

No fans seems a little excessive though. Personally, I would have gone with each team getting 10 fans (spread out), one cheerleader, one person from the band and a mascot.
oskidunker
Life after people
parentswerebears
They better refund the $500 I spent on tickets.
KoreAmBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Well this is gonna be an interesting tourney.

No fans seems a little excessive though. Personally, I would have gone with each team getting 10 fans (spread out), one cheerleader, one person from the band and a mascot.
Shocky and 9 women next to him?
oskidunker
At least we wont have to hear the droning ooh from the crowd!. Looking forward to being able to hear announcers.
bearister
parentswerebears said:

Read the fine print. Contrary to popular belief, a force majeure clause does not automatically entitle the paying party to a refund, unless the contract so provides. ..
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
oskidunker said:

At least we wont have to hear the droning ooh from the crowd!. Looking forward to being able to hear announcers.

...doesn't that kind of depend who the announcers are? Hearing the bump and grind of the dance teams may be preferable ( someone said they are not banned).
oskidunker
Plus they wont pan out to show a non existent crowd. They might focus on the game.
ColoradoBear
Glad they didn't cancel the games. What else would those Americans self quarantined in their living room have to watch?
oskidunker
Picard.
Cal88
ColoradoBear said:

Glad they didn't cancel the games. What else would those Americans self quarantined in their living room have to watch?
Yeah I think this tournament will get good ratings.

There is an outside chance that it could get cancelled altogether if a couple of teams have players or coaches who come down with covid, at which point you have to quarantine all players who have played against them. Odds of this happening by early April aren't that small.
bearister
ColoradoBear said:

Truck Stop Women on Showtime after dark.

59bear
Studio tournament! The TV takeover of sports is now complete, albeit for a reason other than $$$$$!
parentswerebears
I'm just sickened by the world. This pandemic **** is so stupid.
calumnus
Well it is a great year not to make the tournament.
Cal88
parentswerebears said:

I'm just sickened by the world. This pandemic **** is so stupid.

Try to picture where that pink curve is going to be in 10, 20 days....
oskidunker
parentswerebears said:

Please let us know if they refund your money. If they don't, its criminal and a money grab over whatsvright. Period, as Joe Biden says. Or maybe Bernie can tell them we are sick and tired. Ps, I am voting for Biden just find their repetitive talks funny.
Big C
Meanwhile, am I correct they are playing the Pac 12 tournament WITH fans?!? Way to be late to the party. I know it's only an official pandemic now, but still...

(Yeah, yeah... no problem spreading out "all" of the spectators so they are greater than arm's distance from one another.)
parentswerebears
Look at the numbers on the left. Think about total population of US. Think about number of deaths per year caused by the regular flu. Think about percentages of people who are going to get COVID and then are going to get better as if they had the flu. I think about a lot of things, but I'm not worried about this virus.
BeachedBear
I think this is an excellent opportunity to rent some CGI fans from one of the videogame companies.
sandiegobears
Stop talking logic, no one wants to listen to that! (I agree, it's gonna get worse before it gets better)

My annual Vegas trip for March Madness is crumbling...argh.
oskidunker
Big C said:

Meanwhile, am I correct they are playing the Pac 12 tournament WITH fans?!? Way to be late to the party. I know it's only an official pandemic now, but still...

(Yeah, yeah... no problem spreading out "all" of the spectators so they are greater than arm's distance from one another.)
Wait until tomorrow. Only people will be the Big Bafoon and the rest of the announcers
GMP
parentswerebears said:

Look at the numbers on the left. Think about total population of US. Think about number of deaths per year caused by the regular flu. Think about percentages of people who are going to get COVID and then are going to get better as if they had the flu. I think about a lot of things, but I'm not worried about this virus.

The death rate for 60-69 is 3.6%. 70-79 is 8%. 80+ is 14.8%. Sure, we'll finally rid the earth of Baby Boomers, but it's going to be ugly.
GMP
bearister said:

parentswerebears said:

Read the fine print. Contrary to popular belief, a force majeure clause does not automatically entitle the paying party to a refund, unless the contract so provides. ..

Sure, but this isn't force majeure. They aren't technically prevented from fulfilling the contract. They have chosen not to.
sandiegobears
I was where you are at 2 days ago...no longer. Read up on New Rochelle and how quickly it spreads in a close knit community. It was very smart to quarantine that area. Nothing in life is certain, I don't really want to even debate it because no one really knows, but logic/statistics sorta dictates that stronger action is likely needed to knock it back. I have a friend who works at a Bay Area hospital and they are just now seeing people come in...a lot, way more than he expected. In his words...all hands on deck.
Cal88
Sandie that's exactly what I've heard from a ER doctor in south Florida, he's having to do 72hr shifts, they're already in overdrive.
TheSouseFamily
Starting tomorrow, no fans at the P12 tourney.

oskidunker
And now for your evening pleasure, The Big Bafoon. *****
Cal88
calumnus said:

Well it is a great year not to make the tournament.
There is a distinct possibility that this will extend to the upcoming football season as well. I can definitely see the Fall semester starting the same way Spring is finishing, as an online-only semester, then slowly ramping up to normalcy.

The Tokyo Olympics in July will be postponed to Summer '21.

We could have a 2020 regular football season pushed to Spring 22, or a shortened season starting in late Fall/early winter.
oskidunker
GMP said:

parentswerebears said:

The death rate for 60-69 is 3.6%. 70-79 is 8%. 80+ is 14.8%. Sure, we'll finally rid the earth of Baby Boomers, but it's going to be ugly.
Merry Christmas to you!
Cal88
parentswerebears said:

The numbers on the left in 2 1/2 months will be 10,000,000 and 100,000,000. That's the path we and every other western nation have been on right now, that's how pandemics grow, exponentially. Only through very drastic social isolation measures can you alter that path and bend the curve downwards.
GMP
oskidunker said:

GMP said:

parentswerebears said:

Merry Christmas to you!

Lol.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.