NCAA Tourney without spectators

6,107 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oskidunker
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

bearister said:

parentswerebears said:

They better refund the $500 I spent on tickets.

Read the fine print. Contrary to popular belief, a force majeure clause does not automatically entitle the paying party to a refund, unless the contract so provides. ..

Sure, but this isn't force majeure. They aren't technically prevented from fulfilling the contract. They have chosen not to.

I agree, he will probably get a refund, but not all force majeure clauses have the same language. Some excuse performance because of "extraordinary circumstances" or refer to it being "inadvisable" for one side to perform. Performance does not always have to be "impossible."
He will get a refund but one can only imagine he will get jacked around.

Finally, there may be no force majeure clause at all. Real important in manufacturing, however.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
parentswerebears
Tickets are going to be refunded. Whew.
GMP
bearister said:

GMP said:

bearister said:

parentswerebears said:

They better refund the $500 I spent on tickets.

Read the fine print. Contrary to popular belief, a force majeure clause does not automatically entitle the paying party to a refund, unless the contract so provides. ..

Sure, but this isn't force majeure. They aren't technically prevented from fulfilling the contract. They have chosen not to.

I agree, he will probably get a refund, but not all force majeure clauses have the same language. Some excuse performance because of "extraordinary circumstances" or refer to it being "inadvisable" for one side to perform. Performance does not always have to be "impossible."
He will get a refund but one can only imagine he will get jacked around.

Finally, there may be no force majeure clause at all. Real important in manufacturing, however.

It's moot. But I'd also argue, if they have tried to enforce one, that it's a contract of adhesion. A plaintiff side class action attorney would take that case.
SFCityBear
Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

I'm just sickened by the world. This pandemic **** is so stupid.

Try to picture where that pink curve is going to be in 10, 20 days....
Where is China? I read that China had slowed and was reaching a plateau.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

ColoradoBear said:

Glad they didn't cancel the games. What else would those Americans self quarantined in their living room have to watch?

Truck Stop Women on Showtime after dark.

Bearister, you've done it again. Who could forget Claudia Jennings? And that stud, Dennis Fimple?
bearister

On October 3, 1979, Jennings died in an automobile collision on the Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu, California. She was 29.Wikipedia
SFCityBear
bearister said:

On October 3, 1979, Jennings died in an automobile collision on the Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu, California. She was 29.Wikipedia
Sorry to hear that. Tragic.
bearmanpg
Dennis Fimple also died in an auto accident....
bearister
bearmanpg said:

Wow. I wonder if they angered some of those Feather Men blokes?
Cal88
SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

Yes, they've managed to contain the epidemic.

The question is whether their authorities will be tempted to resume economic activities a bit too soon.
SFCityBear
Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

The question is whether their authorities will be tempted to resume economic activities a bit too soon.
You mean when the populace will no longer be under house arrest?
bearister
bearmanpg said:

I would say Mr. Fimple defined the term " a working actor."
Dennis Fimple - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277344/

Cal88
SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

One month of "house arrest" = millions of lives saved. Without their draconian measures, there would have been 67 times more infections in China, according to epidemiologists' models.

They've literally saved millions of lives.

UrsaMajor
Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

One month of "house arrest" = millions of lives saved. Without their draconian measures, there would have been 67 times more infections in China, according to epidemiologists' models.

This is true, and given the size of China and its lack of certain kinds of infrastructure, it may have been the best possible solution; however, it's worth noting that Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and to an extent S. Korea have been able to bend the curve with less coercive methods.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is the likely permanent changes in US culture that will be a consequence of the virus. IMO, given the recommended "social isolation" measures, most brick and mortar stores (except for big box stores) are likely to go bankrupt. Once the crisis is over, I expect that the vast majority will not come back both because of needed capital and because I suspect most Americans will have been conditioned to do all purchasing online.

Remember, it took WWII to get us out of the Great Depression. Unless Trump or his successor have plans to invade someone major, we may be in for years of hard times.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

This is true, and given the size of China and its lack of certain kinds of infrastructure, it may have been the best possible solution; however, it's worth noting that Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and to an extent S. Korea have been able to bend the curve with less coercive methods.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is the likely permanent changes in US culture that will be a consequence of the virus. IMO, given the recommended "social isolation" measures, most brick and mortar stores (except for big box stores) are likely to go bankrupt. Once the crisis is over, I expect that the vast majority will not come back both because of needed capital and because I suspect most Americans will have been conditioned to do all purchasing online.

Remember, it took WWII to get us out of the Great Depression. Unless Trump or his successor have plans to invade someone major, we may be in for years of hard times.
I doubt that Trump has plans to invade anyone, major or minor, but the Pentagon probably has plenty such scenarios. I hope you are not suggesting that FDR had plans to get us into WWII. I thought we got in because Japan attacked us at Pearl Harbor. Although I did have a history prof at Cal who taught us that FDR forced the issue by putting an embargo on all steel and oil exports to Japan, and since they had no steel or oil, they had to attack us. I never knew whether to believe FDR had an ulterior motive in this affair or not.
stu
Quote:

I'd expect smaller specialty stores to survive due to loyal customers and careful selection or merchandise. But they'll need capital and sense to survive this crisis. Consider Moe's and Cody's.

I think a lot of restaurants will be killed unless they can quickly transition to delivery. Many disappeared after the (unreasonable) panic following 9/11 and more after the recession of 2007-2009. Since people like eating out and and the take-out experience isn't the same I expect new restaurants to pop up pretty quickly.

Movie theaters seem to be declining anyway, will this be the end? But I'm pretty sure live theater and concerts aren't going away. Same for sports!

Meanwhile enjoy a little outdoor solitude hiking or biking or whatever.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

I doubt that Trump has plans to invade anyone, major or minor, but the Pentagon probably has plenty such scenarios. I hope you are not suggesting that FDR had plans to get us into WWII. I thought we got in because Japan attacked us at Pearl Harbor. Although I did have a history prof at Cal who taught us that FDR forced the issue by putting an embargo on all steel and oil exports to Japan, and since they had no steel or oil, they had to attack us. I never knew whether to believe FDR had an ulterior motive in this affair or not.
I think most historians have come to the conclusion that FDR felt that US involvement in both European and Asian conflicts was inevitable and that his energies were focused on marshaling enough political will and consensus to get the general populous to go along. Pearl Harbor provided the keystone moment to declare war, but the US was involved prior to that supporting both UK and China in their respective struggles.
Cal88
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

parentswerebears said:

I think your prof was right. Some historians like Robert Stinnett have even argued that FDR had advanced knowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack and let it happen in order to bring the US fully behind the WW2 effort. It is of course a controversial theory, but he makes a pretty compelling case.

Stinnett is a decorated WW2 navy vet who has dedicated decades of his life to research this subject after retiring in the 1980s. He was an aerial photographer for the Navy in WW2 and worked thereafter as a professional photographer in the East Bay, working for the tribune. He passed away two years ago at the age of 94. We all know his work, as he has taken this picture, perhaps the most iconic picture in the history of American sports:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/11/09/prize-winning-oakland-tribune-photographer-robert-stinnett-dies/

Stinnett in his late 80s

Some of his work:

Rookie Raiders head coach looking at film circa 1969

Ray Guy punts for a fundraiser at the Paramount in 1975
Cal88
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

On this other subject, we are already invading many countries, including Iraq and Syria, where there has recently been military escalation with US bases being attacked and deadly retaliations against Iraqis:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815831184/rocket-attack-wounds-u-s-led-coalition-troops-iraqi-soldiers-in-base-near-baghda

The Iraqi parliament has already called for US/coalition forces to leave their country. At the very least there should be a clear cease fire order.

It's also really inhumane to impose full sanctions on Iran, which has been the country worst hit with covid19, this amounts to a war crime. At the very least all restrictions on food, medicines and health-related items should be lifted right away. Trump should also use this opportunity to reign in the neocons running his foreign policy and de-escalate the situation in the middle east.
UrsaMajor
Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

On this other subject, we are already invading many countries, including Iraq and Syria, where there has recently been military escalation with US bases being attacked and deadly retaliations against Iraqis:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815831184/rocket-attack-wounds-u-s-led-coalition-troops-iraqi-soldiers-in-base-near-baghda

The Iraqi parliament has already called for US/coalition forces to leave their country. At the very least there should be a clear cease fire order.

It's also really inhumane to impose full sanctions on Iran, which has been the country worst hit with covid19, this amounts to a war crime. At the very least all restrictions on food, medicines and health-related items should be lifted right away. Trump should also use this opportunity to reign in the neocons running his foreign policy and de-escalate the situation in the middle east.

Agree 100%. And your view on the likelihood of that ever happening??
SFCityBear
Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

The word "invade" as it was used by UrsaMajor, I believe, referred to one country invading another, as Hitler did in WWII in various European countries, or as Japan did in various Asian countries, for example. The primary definition of the word "invasion" in Webster's Dictionary is "an act of invading, especially an incursion of an army for conquest or plunder." The US forces stationed in Iraq and Syria have conquered nothing and no one, and have not plundered anything that I know of. We are not the British Army or the French Army invading the Middle East and plundering pyramids and palaces to bring home objects of art to place in the British Museum in London or the Louvre in Paris. We did attack Iraq several years ago at great cost of life, even if the reason was faulty, but we did not come back home with oil for plunder. Troops remain stationed there for the purpose of giving protection to a fledgling supposedly democratic government, in a faulty (in my mind) experiment in nation building, but we still are not demanding tribute from Iraq. We entered Syria initially, as I understand it, to prevent the Syrian government from slaughtering a large portion of its population, which Syria did at the behest of and with military help from Iran. Trump attempted to withdraw some troops, until it was realized that Syria's oil reserves could fall prey to Iran and Russia for their plunder, and he sent the troops back in to protect the oil. This was not an "invasion" by the US, because no conquest or plunder was attempted.

We should not change the definitions of words to exaggerate and make a point. "Invasion", 'inhumane", and "war crime" all have specific definitions. What is inhumane is the slaughter waged by Assad on a portion of his population, including using gas on human beings. What is inhumane and a war crime is Iran fomenting, supporting, and committing terror against other humans who hold different beliefs, or hold territory or riches they want to possess. Wounding people, maiming them, slaughtering them, executing them. The sanctions are in place to get them to stop this senseless killing. The sanctions are hard on the Iranian people, but what other way does the world have to stop this government gone mad? We could invade and end up with another Iraq, perhaps, and have to station troops in Iran to maintain the peace. It is better if the Iranians rise up and do this themselves. It will not solve the whole problem, as the world will still have to deal with ISIS and the Sunnis, but putting the citizens into power in Iran will go a long way towards stabilizing the Middle East, much more than anything we could do, in my opinion.
Cal88
SFCityBear said:

Cal88 said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

The word "invade" as it was used by UrsaMajor, I believe, referred to one country invading another, as Hitler did in WWII in various European countries, or as Japan did in various Asian countries, for example. The primary definition of the word "invasion" in Webster's Dictionary is "an act of invading, especially an incursion of an army for conquest or plunder." The US forces stationed in Iraq and Syria have conquered nothing and no one, and have not plundered anything that I know of. We are not the British Army or the French Army invading the Middle East and plundering pyramids and palaces to bring home objects of art to place in the British Museum in London or the Louvre in Paris. We did attack Iraq several years ago at great cost of life, even if the reason was faulty, but we did not come back home with oil for plunder. Troops remain stationed there for the purpose of giving protection to a fledgling supposedly democratic government, in a faulty (in my mind) experiment in nation building, but we still are not demanding tribute from Iraq. We entered Syria initially, as I understand it, to prevent the Syrian government from slaughtering a large portion of its population, which Syria did at the behest of and with military help from Iran. Trump attempted to withdraw some troops, until it was realized that Syria's oil reserves could fall prey to Iran and Russia for their plunder, and he sent the troops back in to protect the oil. This was not an "invasion" by the US, because no conquest or plunder was attempted.

We should not change the definitions of words to exaggerate and make a point. "Invasion", 'inhumane", and "war crime" all have specific definitions. What is inhumane is the slaughter waged by Assad on a portion of his population, including using gas on human beings. What is inhumane and a war crime is Iran fomenting, supporting, and committing terror against other humans who hold different beliefs, or hold territory or riches they want to possess. Wounding people, maiming them, slaughtering them, executing them. The sanctions are in place to get them to stop this senseless killing. The sanctions are hard on the Iranian people, but what other way does the world have to stop this government gone mad? We could invade and end up with another Iraq, perhaps, and have to station troops in Iran to maintain the peace. It is better if the Iranians rise up and do this themselves. It will not solve the whole problem, as the world will still have to deal with ISIS and the Sunnis, but putting the citizens into power in Iran will go a long way towards stabilizing the Middle East, much more than anything we could do, in my opinion.

We are "taking the oil" in Syria, to quote Trump. To his credit, he is fairly transparent. We've been taking the oil from Iraq as well, which has been running as a colony.

Quote:

We did attack Iraq several years ago at great cost of life, even if the reason was faulty
Over a million Iraqi killed, and their country, one of the richest in the region, with a first world infrastructure including free healthcare, free college, had been reduced to ashes and divided, after a decade of crippling sanctions were utilities like water treatment plants were constantly targeted and bombed, war crimes resulting in the death from disease and poverty of millions of civilians, including over a half million children. Cities like Basra and Fallujah have been covered with 1,000 tons of "depleted" uranium (with a half life over 50,000 years) from US bombing and are the site of unprecedented rates of cancers and genetic defects among the newborn:

Quote:

According to Iraqi government statistics, the rate of cancer in the country has skyrocketed from 40 per 100,000 people prior to the First Gulf War in 1991, to 800 per 100,000 in 1995, to at least 1,600 per 100,000 in 2005.

The culprit behind all of these health issues is depleted uranium, a byproduct of uranium enrichment. With a mass fraction a third of what fissile uranium would have, depleted uranium emits less alpha radiation up to 60 percent less than natural uranium, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. This "relative" safety offered a rationale for many nations particularly, the U.S. to put the waste material to use.
https://www.mintpressnews.com/depleted-uranium-iraq-wars-legacy-cancer/193338/

Iraq is the cradle of civilization, much of its archeological artifacts were stolen under US occupation, however the loot went to private collections, as opposed to museums in Paris or London.

Iraq has been slowly rebuilding and its parliament has recently voted to expel all US/NATO troops, to which the US government response was "we'll sanction you". This is the definition of occupation.

Quote:

We entered Syria initially, as I understand it, to prevent the Syrian government from slaughtering a large portion of its population, which Syria did at the behest of and with military help from Iran.
Even if that narrative were true (it isn't, but don't want to go into detail about this on this thread at this time), no one really gives a crap about Arab lives, otherwise we would have stopped arming and coordinating the ongoing Saudi genocide in Yemen. Saudi Arabia is pretty much a puppet regime, MbS wouldn't last two weeks without US military backing.
Cal88
UrsaMajor said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Agree 100%. And your view on the likelihood of that ever happening??

Pretty high if Bernie is elected, which unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to happen. Biden is no less a neocon than Trump's people.
UrsaMajor
Agree with you Cal88, but I do want to make one slight correction. It is an error to refer to Iraq as the "cradle of civilization." The cradle of western civilization, perhaps, but China (which most American schools ignore except for its modern incarnation) had a thriving civilized society at least as far back as Mesopotamia.
BearGreg
Staff
Let's get this back on topic or move it the OT board.
oskidunker
BearGreg said:

Let's get this back on topic or move it the OT board.
I would lock the thread. Nothing is going to change and there is no ncaa tournament.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.