Cal vs Colorado

3,174 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Colorado hit 4-4 threes
That won't continue

Bears with lots of turnovers otherwise doing ok
BearBint
Ah, that perimeter defense, or lack thereof. I'd like to see more rebounding, too. Still, the Bears are shooting well.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
UrsineMaximus
points off turnovers for Colorado = 23 points, and that sums it up. DD with 5 TO's.

Colorado is denying the ball to Mia and her early fouls kept her off the floor.
HoopDreams
UrsineMaximus said:

points off turnovers for Colorado = 23 points, and that sums it up. DD with 5 TO's.

Colorado is denying the ball to Mia and her early fouls kept her off the floor.
daniels keeps driving into the defense, often 2 or more set defenders
if she can just pull up and shoot a floater or a 4 footer jumper she would score and avoid the turnovers

michelle has 4 blocks, daniels 1 block
IssyBear
Seems like everyone on Colorado can hit the 3. Hard to defense a tall team that can do that.
We apparently still think passing to a well guarded player down low is a high percentage play. That seemed to account for the majority of our turnovers. Some things seem to never change.
We also seem to think Daniels is a competent 3 point shooter even though she is hitting 14% for the season. Maybe she lights it up in practice?
Onyiah is going to be a very good one, in fact she already is. Based on her touch from mid-range, I wonder if can hit a 3 as well?
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/CK-Wt1thtiR
annarborbear
If this keeps up, SA will have a PhD before her eligibility expires.
stu
Looks like in the 2nd half turnovers are down but so is shooting percentage.
UrsineMaximus
if this keeps up, she'll have attended a half dozen schools by the time she gets her grad degree!!
CyBear77
So is Heide injured in some way??...She played a bit vs Utah and then was not dressed today, but attended the game.
annarborbear
International recruiting is always unpredictable. Colorado won the lottery this year with Formann. Exactly the kind of outside shooter we could have used..
stu
Maybe Alma is that good.
HoopDreams
Colo with 11 threes (55%)
17 aggravating turnovers
annarborbear
Utah game - 29 points off of TO's. Colorado - 26 points off of TO's. I am not a rocket scientist, but I wonder if we will ever consider trying a different system. I have my own answer. Probably not.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Utah game - 29 points off of TO's. Colorado - 26 points off of TO's. I am not a rocket scientist, but I wonder if we will ever consider trying a different system. I have my own answer. Probably not.
have we even tried playing inside out?

it's easier to pass to a post on the outside then try to pass over the top...and we often try that pass against double teams

before we had no shooters, so maybe it didn't make sense, but now we have Mia and some of our other guards seem to be improving their outside shooting a little

I didn't like it when we had KA, and we lost Kienna Smith because of that strategy (she's doing very well at Syracuse)

Maybe we need to bring in a assistant coach who focuses on offense

annarborbear
I used to think this was LG's system and that Charmin had to along with it. I am starting to think differently.
Ashfield63
CyBear77 said:

So is Heide injured in some way??...She played a bit vs Utah and then was not dressed today,

Yes, she has back problems from what I know.

stu
Quote:

I didn't like it when we had KA, and we lost Kienna Smith because of that strategy (she's doing very well at Syracuse)
Kianna Smith is doing well at Louisville, playing 26 minutes and scoring 12 per game. I have no inside info but I'm guessing she wanted to play on a winning team and realized with the graduations we would be depleted. I think at Cal she'd be playing 40 minutes and scoring 20+ per game but not winning much.

Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

I used to think this was LG's system and that Charmin had to along with it. I am starting to think differently.

It may have been early in the season, when Charmin was asked if she talked to Lindsay. Her reply was: Yes, everyday....I thought to myself, oh no! I try not to be critical, but didn't think it was a good idea. Penina Davidson wasn't able to catch the ball when she was close to the basket until her Senior year. KA wasn't highly skilled catching passes in the air near the basket, and score until her senior year. There were so many turnovers on that play every game. I found it maddening. This team doesn't have the skills at this point to complete this play when guarded under the basket. This team had barely been together when the season started. It has been a tough year for the team with Covid restrictions, and the three guards out for the entire season. Charmin maybe should keep it simple. During the KA years it seemed to me LG called plays that were too complicated to execute. However, The plays called at the end of last season when the Bears beat Arizona and Arizona St. were well executed. I give this team credit for showing up this season and playing Pac-12 teams. Hopefully, this team will win pre-season games to boost their confidence before heading into Pac-12 play. GO BEARS!

IssyBear
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

it's easier to pass to a post on the outside then try to pass over the top...and we often try that pass against double teams

before we had no shooters, so maybe it didn't make sense, but now we have Mia and some of our other guards seem to be improving their outside shooting a little

I think this may be the case, but regardless of the offensive philosophy and system, you have to make smart passes. I know we practice against men, but my guess is that they don't aggressively or effectively contest the post pass. Once we get into a game and these passes are contested, tourovers result. Although Mia had a poor shooting game, her passes were high percentage, even the ones into the post. If we only made smart passes inside, our current and seemingly perennial offensive approach would likely be more effective. We definitely would have fewer turnovers.

With that said, I do think a new offensive approach is needed. We have players with different offensive skills and need to find a system that better exploits these differences and abilities. For example, Daniels clearly has talent, yet she seems to want to (unsussfully) shoot 3s or drive out of contol resulting in turnovers and/or offensive fouls. Leilani has an effective outside shot, but raely shoots it. We play like we have dominant height, yet we rarely do.

I know this has been a difficult season with our slew of freshmen, COVID interruptions, and key out for the season injuries, so I don 't want to be too critical, but I hope we don't have additional players transfer out of the program beacuse of frustration.
stu
IssyBear said:

HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

I think this may be the case, but regardless of the offensive philosophy and system, you have to make smart passes. I know we practice against men, but my guess is that they don't aggressively or effectively contest the post pass.
We should hire Gabby Green to help us in practice. I once saw her defending in an open practice and twice in a row Coach Dale couldn't pass the ball inbounds without her getting a hand on it.
GoBears635
IssyBear said:

Seems like everyone on Colorado can hit the 3. Hard to defense a tall team that can do that.
We apparently still think passing to a well guarded player down low is a high percentage play. That seemed to account for the majority of our turnovers. Some things seem to never change.
We also seem to think Daniels is a competent 3 point shooter even though she is hitting 14% for the season. Maybe she lights it up in practice?
Onyiah is going to be a very good one, in fact she already is. Based on her touch from mid-range, I wonder if can hit a 3 as well?
Not sure, but I am sure I saw her thinking about it a few times in the Utah game.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

Three Grad Transfer players entered the transfer portal from Duke. The writing is probably on the wall.... Kara Lawson is forming her own team. Why else would she leave Duke....She stated when she was accepted to Duke, getting an elite education was important in her decision making.
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

Three Grad Transfer players entered the transfer portal from Duke. The writing is probably on the wall.... Kara Lawson is forming her own team. Why else would she leave Duke....She stated when she was accepted to Duke, getting an elite education was important in her decision making.
I think Duke felt she was a one year gap filler

but after this year went up in smoke, the new coach had her own recruits coming in so the writing was on the wall for Sara

but she landed with a Big 10 team, so hopefully she will get her shot

actually, she should have just stayed at Cal. Despite her flaws (mostly turnovers) she could have really helped this year with her shooting
wvitbear
U of I is a good school. My sister did graduate work there .
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

U of I is a good school. My sister did graduate work there .
Surrounded by corn fields, so you can concentrate on basketball and maybe studying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.