Story Poster
Photo by Soobum Im-USA TODAY Sports

Pac-12 WBB Media Day: Bears Picked for Last

October 12, 2021

Media Day for the Pac-12 Women’s Basketball was Tuesday at the conference headquarters in San Francisco.

Cal did not get much love. Stanford, the defending national champ, was a virtual unanimous pick to repeat as conference champs in the preseason poll.

The Bears, who endured a 1-16 season a year ago, were picked by the conference coaches to finish last again. 

But head coach Charmin Smith, who was joined at the event by sophomore wing Dalayah Daniels and junior guard Leilani McIntosh (above), is not one to bemoan the past. She does feel the Bears can learn from it and actually come out better off.

“I am excited about these young women here (Daniels and McIntosh) and the women on our team,” she said. “They have worked extremely hard. We are in a much better place than we were at this time last year. We are excited to get started.”

The fact the Bears are able to work indoors is an instant upgrade from a year ago. “I could start with not practicing on outdoor tennis courts with portable baskets,” Smith said when asked for specifics. “We’ve got people back who weren’t healthy last year, Cailyn Crocker, Jazlen Green, Alma Elsnitz. They are all back practicing with us, going full court and everything. Those are the most significant pieces that make us in a better place than last year.”

With the injuries to those players and others and pandemic restrictions, on some nights the Bears were lucky to field a team. 

“With six or seven players available, we started games in foul trouble,” Smith said. “Knock on wood, nothing compares to that. We can feel positive that whatever adversity we face knowing we’ve been through toughest times we have ever had.”

Even as the losses piled up, the Bears were gaining valuable playing experience.

“Last year was a blessing in disguise in some ways. Not many freshmen get two freshman years. We are going to use that to our advantage,” said Daniels, who led the Bears in scoring with an average of 11.9. “We have a lot of new pieces on our team and a lot of people coming back. A lot of the coaching we’ve been having is going to pay great benefits for us this year. We have a great coaching staff behind us.”

Pac-12 Conference
Coaches and players at media day. Bears second from left 

Daniels feels her role will change this year, for the better.

“For me, coming in I was pretty versatile and I was playing everywhere,” she said. “I think this year it is going to be a lot easier on me because I am going to be able to play a stretch four and be able to have a simpler role.”

“The experience in general, it wasn’t like a full season, but it was like six of our freshmen could see how college basketball is,” McIntosh said. “And I think that really helps us, getting those games under our belt.” 

Smith talked about what the return of Crocker and Green will mean.

“The leadership that they bring, the energy that they bring,” she said. “Those two...You are talking about two Pac-12 starting guards that we didn’t have. The team is really excited to have their voice back, their game back in practice every day. 

“I am just happy for them. They’ve worked extremely hard to come back from their injuries. It’s not easy, and then the pandemic it’s even tougher. I am really glad to have them back out there.”

So are their teammates. 

“They are the biggest trash talkers on the team,” McIntosh said. “Every time we hit the court it’s competition and that pushes you to be better. On the court, I have been playing with Cailyn since like sixth grade. Just knowing everything that she does. And everywhere she is we have that connection. I got close to Jazlen. She is a knock-down shooter.”

As a freshman two years ago, Green averaged 8.8 points, Crocker, 7.5.

Smith will enter the season with an entirely new coaching staff, Her assistants, Paul Reed, Kelly Cole and former Cal player Eliza Pierre are all in their first year on the staff..

And they will find a team and a leader that is ready to show the world last season was not a true sample.

“When you take the beatings that we took in terms of the number of wins last year, it makes you hungry,” Smith said. “We’re fired up. We want to beat up on some other people. I’m excited to get out there with this group.” 

Pac-12 WBB Media Day: Bears Picked for Last

8,017 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wvitbear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stanford tops 2021-22 Pac-12 women's basketball preseason coaches poll | Pac-12

It appears that the conference believes that 7 conference teams will likely earn postseason play. The bottom five [ASU, USC, Utah, Washington & Cal] will fight it out for the scraps. Lindsay Gottlieb vs Charmin Smith should be interesting...All of the bottom five are obviously beatable. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Stanford tops 2021-22 Pac-12 women's basketball preseason coaches poll | Pac-12

It appears that the conference believes that 7 conference teams will likely earn postseason play. The bottom five [ASU, USC, Utah, Washington & Cal] will fight it out for the scraps. Lindsay Gottlieb vs Charmin Smith should be interesting...All of the bottom five are obviously beatable. GO BEARS!

This is why they play the games. These are mere "predictions". This is a deep and experienced roster hungry for success. I expect them to surprise quite a few teams. Get your tickets for a fun ride ahead.
Schroeder71
New pictures of everyone available.for the fans to finally witness (below)
2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

St Martins is not an exhibition game since they are facing WSU & Oregon prior to Cal. St Martins has no player taller than 6-1 according to their roster. They had better drill the three pointer to be competitive.

Cal has 15 players divided into a group of eight guards and another of seven front court players (SF, PF & C).
Has anyone heard the pecking order of the point guards as well as the shooting guard positions in camp? I'm hoping that everyone is healthy and ready to participate in the exhibition vs Westmont on October 28th, correct?
Also, does anybody have the inside scoop that the Bears might utilize pressure (full court press or half court trap)
to take advantage of the large roster this season. Since Cal is not a high percentage shooting team it would only make sense that they should attempt to force some turnovers and score some easy baskets. Just thinking...

GO BEARS!
stu
I have no inside info but if they're healthy I'd expect to see a lot of Leilani, Jazlen, Cailyn, and Alma in lineups with three guards. Jayda and Karisma might also turn out to be very good, dunno.

If everyone (or almost everyone) is healthy we should have the versatility and depth to play many different types of lineups, everything from five guards to one 6-foot guard and four bigs.

stu
Thanks for pointing out the pix. Does anyone else think Jayda Curry looks a little like Charmin Smith?
HoopDreams
Go Bears!

https://instagr.am/p/CU8Yg5FBrLl
wvitbear
So are you going to the open practice? You can ask all your questions then. This is to S 71.
UrsineMaximus
With all these guards they should go small and run the court while creating absolute havoc on defense with pressure everywhere! Hopefully Smith will adapt her coaching scheme to take advantage of this opportunity.
smh
stu said:

Thanks for pointing out the pix. Does anyone else think Jayda Curry looks a little like Charmin Smith?
mumble-grumble -> headshot's page not printable (safari / firefox).

maybe in a couple week's gameday handouts / programs have snaps.
annarborbear
I think we end up being the team that nobody wants to face. We have size and now experience on the front line. Good shooting coming back from injury. Jayda Curry a natural scorer and eventual leader. A potentially different and less predictable offense under new assistant coaches. Eliza to show how to defend and apply constant pressure.Two grad players who also bring team play and experience. And Charmin showing how she never let the team give up even under last year's miserable circumstances, with no one transferring out. I think we can finish as high as sixth and pull some upsets.

I also just noticed that Kelly Cole's Twitter handle is "ShotDoctor". Our prayers for some improved shooting form and mechanics may also be answered over time.
annarborbear
A couple of more things from viewing the video conference:

1. Daniels says that she will be concentrating on being a stretch four. That means that we probably will see a lot of three guard line-ups accompanying her. However, we may also see a lot of Bush since she is a very good rebounder for her size when playing the three.

2. McIntosh says she is working on being a "three level " player - meaning that she must be able to shoot from the perimeter, from the midrange, and going to the basket. And she also is working on getting her shots from the outside off faster. That also makes me optimistic, because it shows the immediate influence of Cole in identifying which individual improvements will lead to team improvements.
wvitbear
Mcintosh made big improvements last year with her shooting. From 19% from 3 point land to 30%. A couple of more per cent and she will be a good three point shooter.
stu
annarborbear said:

... Daniels says that she will be concentrating on being a stretch four. That means that we probably will see a lot of three guard line-ups accompanying her. However, we may also see a lot of Bush since she is a very good rebounder for her size when playing the three..
Evelien is also a good rebounder and IMHO looked comfortable at SF last season.
wvitbear
Eva almost averaged 7 rebounds per game. The yer before she was in the top 5 in blocked shots. Offense is another matter. More of a garbage player there.
annarborbear
Bush also had a lot of double/doubles at Harvard, so she can additionally give us some scoring when she is in there. Averaged 10 ppg, 8 rpg, 53% shooting, and was the second leading rebounder in the Ivy League her sophomore year.

We may end up with a core line-up, and then a lot of shifting substitution patterns depending on the match-ups with other teams. Will also be interested to see if Mastrov can earn some minutes with all of this added competition. She seemed to complement and make others better when she got in last year. But have to remember that she is really just a freshman.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

Mcintosh made big improvements last year with her shooting. From 19% from 3 point land to 30%. A couple of more per cent and she will be a good three point shooter.
Her missing element was a mid-range game. Lots of opportunities if she can come up with that.
wvitbear
She improved her fg % from 30.2 % to 35.8 % (midrange). And her free throws from 73.3% to 84.4%. So her shooting improved all around.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

She improved her fg % from 30.2 % to 35.8 % (midrange). And her free throws from 73.3% to 84.4%. So her shooting improved all around.
I recall her passing up midrange shots and always going to the basket instead. But my memory is not as good as it used to be. But actually taking the midrange shots that are available is the change that I think they want to see.
HoopDreams
I'm excited for the season and think it will be a completely different year

Last year we had zero depth at guard, inexperience across the board (especially front court) and the Covid situation

We will still be a young team and maybe still a year away, but the team has heart and talent, and I like what Coach Charmin is building

The Pac12 is loaded so our record may not fully show how much progress the team has made, but we will have a good run
wvitbear
She developed a floater last year.
ClayK
I agree that Cal will be improved this year, and the fastest way to improve is have better guards. You can score and do some things defensively if you have some quality athletes in the backcourt, and I'm optimistic that will happen.

On the other hand, to compete for a conference title or a tournament berth, you need an inside presence, and I don't see that right now. Daniels is a three, really, though it's possible she could improve in the paint.

But compared to recent years, Cal looks to be in much better shape heading into the season. With good health and good coaching, it could be a fun season.
SFCALBear72
ClayK said:

I agree that Cal will be improved this year, and the fastest way to improve is have better guards. You can score and do some things defensively if you have some quality athletes in the backcourt, and I'm optimistic that will happen.

On the other hand, to compete for a conference title or a tournament berth, you need an inside presence, and I don't see that right now. Daniels is a three, really, though it's possible she could improve in the paint.

But compared to recent years, Cal looks to be in much better shape heading into the season. With good health and good coaching, it could be a fun season.

Don't forget about 6'3 Michelle Onyiah. Averaged 6.8 rebounds per game. Picked up her scoring towards the end of the season.
wvitbear
I agree about Michele. but most of Daniels points last year came in the paint.
stu
ClayK said:

I totally agree. Last year at guard we had one soph, one deer-in-the-headlights freshie, and one high school player who graduated early. This year we'll have much more depth, experience, and talent.

Quote:

I got the impression Daniels played all over the place last season but will concentrate on one position this season. That should help. Michelle impressed me with her Gennifer Brandon impersonation and should improve with experience. Also I think Sela has great length and sound fundamentals, if healthy she could be a force. Fatou was highly rated and may also come on. Evelien and Jadyn lack length by Pac-12 standards but look like thay can provide rebounding and defense at SF.

Quote:

I can't wait for it to start. They'll be hungry with nowhere to go but up.
helltopay1
Charmin Smith was a poor hire. She left the program voluntarily. She also left theStanford program as an assistant to become a Cal assistant. That['s not even a lateral move. Next!!!!!!
UrsineMaximus
Someone is lonely and feels left out and needs some attention. So they lash out on a college discussion board seeking that attention. Issues like this require years of therapy and won't be resolved here.
helltopay1
She was still a poor hire.
CalWSportsFan
No, she wasn't. Time to mute you.
Ashfield63
I enjoy many of the comments. Why be negative???? It's unbecoming, and unfair.......I am excited to be back in Haas, and watch the Bears in person this season. Charmin Smith is an oustanding woman, and is very respected in the world of college WBB.......This is an exciting team, and I am hopeful for the season with all of the players returning. No players transferred. That says something about Charmin and the Cal WBB program. GO BEARS!!
GGV
stu
I'm thinking anyone who picks Cal to finish 12th in the conference:

1) Doesn't know why we finished 12th last season.

2) Doesn't know how much talent we have.

3) Doesn't know Charmin Smith.
wvitbear
The Mercury News picked us to be 10th. USC and Washington below us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.