Dalayah Daniels

11,179 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 3Cats4CAL
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ClayK said:

As one involved in choosing high school all-American teams, and one who has been "wrong" many times, there are certain things I've learned to look for over the year.

But to begin with, there's a key factor that's often ignored: Are the rankings based on performance against same-age competition, or on potential to produce at a higher level?

Dalayah Daniels (and Gabby Green) are both classic examples of players whose weaknesses were disguised by their physical ability against players of their own age (and thus strength and experience). Daniels didn't have to shoot from outside in club or high school ball because she was quicker than players her size and taller than players who were quicker. When she got to college, both of those advantages narrowed considerably.

Which meant that some key skills had to come into play, first and foremost the ability to score from the perimeter. But the way high school and club ball is structured, there is no motivation for any coach to develop new skills for a player. Parents want to have their child on a winning team, and fixing Daniels' broken shot at those lower levels would have resulted in losses. So coaches kept dialing up Daniels going to her strengths, and when those strengths were no longer enough, she had nothing to fall back on.

Another key skill is court vision and ability to pass. Daniels' A/TO last year was 26/41, which is mediocre for a pure post and pretty much unplayable for a wing. Again, club and high school coaches had no incentive to encourage Daniels to pass the ball to an inferior player -- they were there to win (if they didn't, the parents would put the girl on another team), so when she got it, she shot it.

There are similar issues with the "highly rated" bigs. It's relatively easy for a 6-4 girl to get points and rebounds at the club and high school level because they don't face similar size very often. In the Pac-12, it's every night, so unless you're just a better athlete, you have to be able to pass and make midrange jumpers. As the saying goes, you can't coach size, so a tall girl with reasonable athleticism will always be "highly rated," but can she make jumpers and pass out of double teams?
agree with everything

you could also say a similar thing about any position ... for example, Juwan Howard-Dyson was a high scoring guard in HS because he was super athletic and long, and could blow by most HS competition any time he wanted. However that wasn't true against D1 guards, especially when you've got a 6-11 rim protector and a coach that has scouted your strengths/weaknesses

CalWSportsFan
I wish her well and am sorry to see her go. As for the rest of it, all I can say is Go Bears!
annarborbear
I went back to see how many players 6' 2" and taller came into PAC12 teams last year in the transfer portal and played a significant role after they arrived. There were two intra-conference transfers - Quay MIller who went from Washington to Colorado, and Angela Dugalic who went from Oregon to UCLA and who finished strong after being injured earlier. From outside the conference, Nancy Mulkey came to Washington following her coach from Rice. That was it.

So you do need to hang onto and develop the big people you have been able to recruit through their evolution as players. They are not going to drop in from the sky.
stu
ClayK said:

... Which meant that some key skills had to come into play, first and foremost the ability to score from the perimeter. But the way high school and club ball is structured, there is no motivation for any coach to develop new skills for a player. Parents want to have their child on a winning team, and fixing Daniels' broken shot at those lower levels would have resulted in losses. So coaches kept dialing up Daniels going to her strengths, and when those strengths were no longer enough, she had nothing to fall back on ...
I have no playing or coaching experience, I'm just an interested observer. But one thing I've observed is how difficult it is to teach a player guard skills after they reach college. We tried and failed with at least Erika Johnson, Mo Moseley, and Alaysia Styles (and to some extent with Mikayla Cowling).
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/CbYB3MlPzWP
wbbilluminati
HoopDreams said:

https://instagr.am/p/CbYB3MlPzWP
A lovely heartfelt note. We still stan and wish her the best. A bright young woman who will have great opportunities ahead.
TypiCal
She'd been mentioned on the boards of several schools now in the WHoops S16 inc. S.Carolina! Why in the world would Jayda leave a Cal bear program for the Gamecocks is beyond me?!
SFCALBear72
TypiCal said:

She'd been mentioned on the boards of several schools now in the WHoops S16 inc. S.Carolina! Why in the world would Jayda leave a Cal bear program for the Gamecocks is beyond me?!
Careful now. It's Dalayah NOT Jayda!
puget sound cal fan
...and Fatou and Sela were relegated to bench time not playing time. I wonder how much development is going on with the bigs?
SFCALBear72
puget sound cal fan said:

...and Fatou and Sela were relegated to bench time not playing time. I wonder how much development is going on with the bigs?
Down the stretch, Fatou got more playing time and Sela is still in "recovery mode" from her injury and surgery. Paul Reed is the new assistant coach in charge of post players. Give him a chance to work more with them.
ClayK
Given NCAA rules, coaches do not have much opportunity to work with players in the offseason. It's really much more on the players and their individual motivation and work ethic.
CalFanatic
Can Bonner be a suitable replacement for Daniels? I've never seen her play live but it looks like she has some size.

I still really like our depth next year.
stu
I haven't seen Amaya Bonner live but I did watch a few minutes of video. She's listed at 6'0" and looks pretty lean. With her hair piled on top of her head she looks a lot like Kianna Smith.

Most of her highlights were drives to the rim, assists, steals, and blocks. I didn't see any back-to-the-basket moves or midrange pull-ups. Based on that little information I can only guess she'd initially fit in best as a slashing wing or possibly as a backup point.

Dalayah is quite a bit bigger. I don't think Amaya has the size to play power forward in college unless she turns out to be exceptionally tough.
wvitbear
Amaya is a little taller than Mia. I saw them jump center against each other in a Miramonte BOD game. She is smaller than Daniels. She didn't shoot the three well when I saw her but that was two years ago. I think she could develope into a good wing defender but not sure of her shooting.
ClayK
Off of her high school career, Bonner gets most of her points close to the basket, usually after going left. She did not look for three-pointers.

It's hard to tell about her defense because BOD generally had her guarding a weaker offensive player, presumably to keep her out of foul trouble.
HoopDreams
I worry about successful transitions from HS to D1 for guards/SFs who are good slashers but don't have a shot

They won't be able to score off the drive nearly as well if they aren't a shooting threat too

ClayK said:

Off of her high school career, Bonner gets most of her points close to the basket, usually after going left. She did not look for three-pointers.

It's hard to tell about her defense because BOD generally had her guarding a weaker offensive player, presumably to keep her out of foul trouble.
stu
Did Amaya play mostly PG at BOD?
wvitbear
Not when I saw her.
Ashfield63
Am I correct to say Dalaylah experienced recurring back problems during the season. I heard this somewhere.
Is this the reason she did not start in the pre season games? She did sit out a game or two in Pac-12 play.

I did not understand why Dalaylah was not starting. This had to be difficult for her.

She played 40 minutes in the OT loss at UCLA, and scored 20 points. She was playing well.

I am baffled about her transferring .......Her loss is significant to a struggling program.....Of course, losing
winnable games during Feb. must be upsetting. I feel for the players.

Did she want to play the Wing position? I would like to know more......Does anyone have a grasp on the situation. Hopefully, she will be playing in a program that affirms her potential as a college basketball player.
wvitbear
The Arkansas announcers said she had a back problem.
ClayK
I saw and scouted Bonner many times and I never saw her play a minute at the point. She has always been a wing,
stu
Thanks for that. How would you compare her game to Mia's?
HoopDreams
stu said:

Thanks for that. How would you compare her game to Mia's?
Clay can answer better as he's actually seen her, but from what I can tell their games are the exact opposite ...

Bonnor is physical slasher, but not a shooter
Mia is a shooter, and uses fundamentals, not athletism for her offense
stu
How about defense?
wvitbear
I thought they were similar when I watched them play each other. I wouldn't classify Mia as a shooter. Although I thought she was better than Bonner. But Mia was a junior and Bonner was a freshman then. So Bonner could have improved. They are similar size but Bonner may have grown some. Mia is left handed and Bonner is right handed.
ClayK
Mia and Amaya are very different players.

If Mia embraces defense, she can carve out a spot for herself in the Cal rotation -- and if she gets comfortable, she can be a solid offensive player at the P5 level. She's a decent three-point shooter, and is long enough to get to the rim effectively. But she's not quite explosive enough to be a double-digit scorer, I don't think. But I could see her getting 12 or so a game if everything fell into place.

Amaya is a superior athlete, and uses that athleticism to score close to the basket. She can make threes, but doesn't have a quick release. Amaya presumably could be a plus defender, but that's never been asked of her -- though if she did develop in that area, it would be a huge plus. Amaya greatly favored going left, even though she's right-handed, and that could catch up to her at the college level, though she's not helpless going right.

If Bonner can be a credible threat from the arc, she could get 15 a game, and if she applies her athleticism to defense, she could be a solid starter at the two or three. I don't see her as an all-conference player, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of players who relied on athleticism at the lower levels, and then added to their game in college, and if she's one of them, she's got a very bright future.
HoopDreams
Exactly

ClayK said:

Mia and Amaya are very different players.

If Mia embraces defense, she can carve out a spot for herself in the Cal rotation -- and if she gets comfortable, she can be a solid offensive player at the P5 level. She's a decent three-point shooter, and is long enough to get to the rim effectively. But she's not quite explosive enough to be a double-digit scorer, I don't think. But I could see her getting 12 or so a game if everything fell into place.

Amaya is a superior athlete, and uses that athleticism to score close to the basket. She can make threes, but doesn't have a quick release. Amaya presumably could be a plus defender, but that's never been asked of her -- though if she did develop in that area, it would be a huge plus. Amaya greatly favored going left, even though she's right-handed, and that could catch up to her at the college level, though she's not helpless going right.

If Bonner can be a credible threat from the arc, she could get 15 a game, and if she applies her athleticism to defense, she could be a solid starter at the two or three. I don't see her as an all-conference player, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of players who relied on athleticism at the lower levels, and then added to their game in college, and if she's one of them, she's got a very bright future.
wbbilluminati
To. UW
HoopDreams
wbbilluminati said:

To. UW
from Seattle
Baygbear
I cannot wait
UrsineMaximus
Predicable.
BearBint
Sorry, I'm losing track of this thread. Seattle? U.W.? Dalayah's going to U.W.? Someone else is going there? Coming from there?
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
annarborbear
Huskies have made the announcement. Interesting subplot will be future head-to-head battles between Daniels and Langarita. I would gladly pay an admissions surcharge for that one.
SFCALBear72
BearBint said:

Sorry, I'm losing track of this thread. Seattle? U.W.? Dalayah's going to U.W.? Someone else is going there? Coming from there?
Yes, Dalayah to UW. Her family lives in Seattle and she went to high school there.
Schroeder71
I did a Google search and found this article among others...

Local Star Dalayah Daniels Announces Transfer Homecoming to UW WBB UDUBWBB.com

Good Luck, Dalayah!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.