Dalayah Daniels

49 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 3Cats4CAL
WayneBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dalayah has reportedly entered the transfer portal:

stu
Ugh! That's terrible news!
SFCALBear72
It's true. She wrote a message on Instagram today explaining her decision.
Key word in that message was her "happiness".
philbert
Maybe this opens up space for Jenkins?
ncbears
I need a new favorite player to root for - and bemoan their injuries and inconsistencies.
blungld
Dang. What is wrong with the program? She had all conference written all over her as a freshman...and then diminishing performance...and then transfer? So much talent lost or poorly utilized the past 5 years.Thank God for Curry.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
3Cats4CAL
Let's hope Curry doesn't do the same.
3Cats4CAL
I remember when she posted that the three of them new recruits were going to turn this program around. That sure didn't happen.
stu
At the end of last season I thought Dalayah and Michelle were playing really well. I had high expectations for further improvement. Somehow they regressed and were just starting to pick it up again at the end of this season. I don't know what happened. Maybe having more guards on the roster changed everything. Maybe Dalayah wants to play SF or SG. I guess we'll find out.

I also wonder if the college game is too rough. Some of the refs let it turn into a war.

Now even more that before I'm hoping Sela can get healthy.
3Cats4CAL
philbert said:

Maybe this opens up space for Jenkins?

I would love that for that to happen. Trading one Washingtonian for another. But why would Jenkins want to transfer from one cellar dweller to another.
Schroeder71
I was wondering if this type of thing would hit Cal. I hope that Dalayah Daniels finds happiness. I hope that this thought process doesn't spread among other members of the team. Michelle Onyiah received little playing time.
She seemed like the most likely candidate to feel disgruntled. Keep your fingers crossed...
HoopDreams
Daniels role changed from being a perimeter player with a green light to shoot 3s, to an undersized post

All year I was worried about how she felt about that

She is an athletic player who can defend multiple positions and the top recruit in her class

Losing her now when I thought next year could be our breakout year is a huge setback

Hopefully the coaches can keep the rest of the team together, and Sela can get/stay healthy
Baygbear
As much as I love Daniels and wish her nothing but the best I don't think this is that big of a deal in terms of production on the court. She didn't average that many minutes this year and Cal can easily replace her ppg.

However, she seemed like a leader within the program and still has tremendous upside. As mentioned she was asked to play a new roll this year and she didn't excel how one would expect a top recruit in their second season which probably frustrated her. I hope that she decides to return.

She is listed as 6'3 so a good size for a post but she just does not have a good vertical which I think is the only thing holding her back from becoming a great player.
annarborbear
Turns out that the four-guard offense that kept big people who want to be developed on the bench was a mistake in more ways than one. Wish that we could have let them play through their further growth and mistakes instead.
ClayK
Daniels' broken shot made it impossible for her to be a perimeter player. She fixed it a little this past season, but her potential was as a tall three, not an athletic four.

I saw her play in high school and loved her athleticism but I never saw her shoot from outside. And after seeing her mechanics as a Cal freshman, it was clear why that didn't happen very often.

At one level, Daniels is a loss because of her potential; at another, she had two years to prove herself in this system and couldn't. As mentioned, her limited production will not be hard to replace, and she is yet another example of how irrelevant player rankings can be, given the way the game is played at the club and high school level.
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Daniels role changed from being a perimeter player with a green light to shoot 3s, to an undersized post

All year I was worried about how she felt about that

She is an athletic player who can defend multiple positions and the top recruit in her class

Losing her now when I thought next year could be our breakout year is a huge setback

Hopefully the coaches can keep the rest of the team together, and Sela can get/stay healthy
As a freshman, Daniels was needed as a scorer because of a limited roster.

In her sophomore year, the roster "expanded" (Green and Crocker were back; Curry came in), and so did her role. Dalayah was needed elsewhere. She also had to adapt to a new coach working with the post players. For some players this means "I'll do whatever you need me to do, coach" and for others they might see this adaptation as an affront to their capabilities or talent. This could have led to some type of compromise in year 3 based upon offseason work, etc. Apparently, that's not happening here.

I trust Coach Smith and her staff to make the right moves going forward. A scholarship slot has suddenly opened. There are plenty of options in the transfer portal...and not just grad transfers.
HoopDreams
Agree about her shooting. Almost nothing should be taken away from two seasons ago. The fact they got through it intact was close to a miracle, although it took its toll after a second year (which was under my expectation)

Almost no coach would have given Daniels a green light from 3. She first needed to improve her form and FTs (to her credit she did) and then her mid range, otherwise defense knew she would drive, and just sit in the paint and go charge hunting or block the shot.

She was just starting to learn in the post, but not in a traditional way… more using her length to score with under handed shots

But with size and athleticism she is an unique and valuable player as she could defend 1-4, and could be the big in a small lineup

That is a big loss

ClayK said:

Daniels' broken shot made it impossible for her to be a perimeter player. She fixed it a little this past season, but her potential was as a tall three, not an athletic four.

I saw her play in high school and loved her athleticism but I never saw her shoot from outside. And after seeing her mechanics as a Cal freshman, it was clear why that didn't happen very often.

At one level, Daniels is a loss because of her potential; at another, she had two years to prove herself in this system and couldn't. As mentioned, her limited production will not be hard to replace, and she is yet another example of how irrelevant player rankings can be, given the way the game is played at the club and high school level.
stu
Dalayah reminds me of Gabby Green. Great athlete with length, quickness, vision, and BBIQ but no shot. I love them both but neither was an efficient perimeter scorer.

I hope she finds a situation which makes her happy.
Schroeder71
DD never developed a 10-12 ft fadeway jump shot off of the glass going both right and left. She got many of her drives blocked and put-back attempts blocked. She was a solid rebounder who got good position. Her foot speed was lacking and she got beat consistently on drives to the basket. I liked her but she never lived up to her #14 prep ranking. Unless she can develop new skills, she is limited offensively and turned the ball over too much attempting to maneuver close to the basket. I agree that her output should be easy to replace but I do not know about her locker room presence.
LegoBear
I suspect that we'll look at Dalayah's highly rated and hyped class as vastly over-rated. Hopefully the future classes (Bonner) or filled with more players like Curry.
stu
I think Michelle and Fatou need more time, both came in pretty raw. Sela and Alma certainly need to get healthy. I haven't given up on this class.
LegoBear
Hopefully, I agree it's still early. This class might provide some decent (bench) players as they enter their junior and senior years. Considering their lofty rankings however I doubt they will lift this program out of the dweller, in other words if we don't find more players like Curry we'll stay solidly in the bottom half or even very bottom of the Pac-12.

stu said:

I think Michelle and Fatou need more time, both came in pretty raw. Sela and Alma certainly need to get healthy. I haven't given up on this class.
bearchamp
More than better players, Cal needs some competent coaching of the players already here.
RoundBallBear
She was a princess who sulked when she didn't get the ball. Then this season she worked harder and fought for rebounds and only sulked a little. I thought she was starting to come around and be a team player and not have to be enthroned as the next coming. Guess I was wrong.
Ashfield63
bearchamp said:

More than better players, Cal needs some competent coaching of the players already here.

That Said.........Players can make coaches look good......
UrsineMaximus
This is a big loss for this Cal team and hopes for next year. While DD had plenty to improve upon, she was our 2nd best big on the team and she was improving a lot. To change her shot mechanics to the extent she did required a lot of work.

It may be as simple as, she lost her love for the game. That happens sometimes, even for top athletes. Smith has to find a quality big in the portal. While watching some of these Championship games, I noticed the central states have a lot of good bigs ~ we need to recruit that area.
Ashfield63
Baygbear said:

As much as I love Daniels and wish her nothing but the best I don't think this is that big of a deal in terms of production on the court. She didn't average that many minutes this year and Cal can easily replace her ppg.

However, she seemed like a leader within the program and still has tremendous upside. As mentioned she was asked to play a new roll this year and she didn't excel how one would expect a top recruit in their second season which probably frustrated her. I hope that she decides to return.

She is listed as 6'3 so a good size for a post but she just does not have a good vertical which I think is the only thing holding her back from becoming a great player.

She had recurring back problems right, and was was not dressed at times., but had some good games in the month of Feb. She was a starter, and played many minutes. Just to say she was unhappy, I do not get it. I am sure the loses of winnable games were difficult for every team member. She could have played for Cal three more seasons due to the Covid year. Cal had an unexpected star this season in Jayda Curry, I do not know if it influenced her decision. I have watched many games the past week. There are so many really good players, and not just at the P-5 schools. It will be interesting to see where she decides to play. Wish her the Best!
3Cats4CAL
Ashfield63 said:

bearchamp said:

That Said.........Players can make coaches look good......
look at Stanford. Who wins more games- Charmin with Stanford roster of Jones, Brink, The Hull Twins, Belibi, Wilson, Prechtel, Jump, Irriafen, Demetre, Harriel, Hamilton, Brown, Nnopu Van Gytenbeek,Jerome, and Bosgana OR Tara with Cal Roster of Curry, Green, Schipholt, McIntosh, Crocker, Onyiah, Samb, Mastrov, Bush, Ortiz, Elsnitz, Heide, Muca, Richey, and Daniels?
Schroeder71
I don't get your point. Tara would win more games with Cal personnel than Charmin. Also, Tara lands 4-5* recruits consistently because she wins. Charmin recruits the best players that she can promising more wins in the future.
What exactly are you trying to say?
3Cats4CAL
I am saying that imo Charmin wins more games with the current Stanford Squad than Tara does with the current Cal Squad. Nevertheless I do like our Cal players better and can't stand the other team since they are our rival.
wbbilluminati
stu said:

Dalayah reminds me of Gabby Green. Great athlete with length, quickness, vision, and BBIQ but no shot. I love them both but neither was an efficient perimeter scorer.

I hope she finds a situation which makes her happy.

I think Gabby Green is a good comparison.

Both had elite athleticism and size for projected position along with a couple legitimately elite-level skills, but other key parts of their game were just missing or even liabilities.

"Positionless" basketball can be such a buzzword, but I think both are examples of players who just ... don't have a position.
wbbilluminati
There have been moments when I've worried Haley Jones could fall into the dilemma Dalayah Daniels had, but she's been able produce at the highest level at the 4 as a "point power forward."

Plus, you can leave Haley on the floor when she's not shooting well and just swap Wilson for Jump or Prechtel to get a few quick 3's. And of course winning 30 games a year always helps offset any potential slight grievances about your role/position.

It's too bad it didn't work out with Dalayah but I'm not sure what system she would better thrive in, besides simply "transferring down" to a smaller pond like Gabby Green did.
ClayK
As one involved in choosing high school all-American teams, and one who has been "wrong" many times, there are certain things I've learned to look for over the year.

But to begin with, there's a key factor that's often ignored: Are the rankings based on performance against same-age competition, or on potential to produce at a higher level?

Dalayah Daniels (and Gabby Green) are both classic examples of players whose weaknesses were disguised by their physical ability against players of their own age (and thus strength and experience). Daniels didn't have to shoot from outside in club or high school ball because she was quicker than players her size and taller than players who were quicker. When she got to college, both of those advantages narrowed considerably.

Which meant that some key skills had to come into play, first and foremost the ability to score from the perimeter. But the way high school and club ball is structured, there is no motivation for any coach to develop new skills for a player. Parents want to have their child on a winning team, and fixing Daniels' broken shot at those lower levels would have resulted in losses. So coaches kept dialing up Daniels going to her strengths, and when those strengths were no longer enough, she had nothing to fall back on.

Another key skill is court vision and ability to pass. Daniels' A/TO last year was 26/41, which is mediocre for a pure post and pretty much unplayable for a wing. Again, club and high school coaches had no incentive to encourage Daniels to pass the ball to an inferior player -- they were there to win (if they didn't, the parents would put the girl on another team), so when she got it, she shot it.

There are similar issues with the "highly rated" bigs. It's relatively easy for a 6-4 girl to get points and rebounds at the club and high school level because they don't face similar size very often. In the Pac-12, it's every night, so unless you're just a better athlete, you have to be able to pass and make midrange jumpers. As the saying goes, you can't coach size, so a tall girl with reasonable athleticism will always be "highly rated," but can she make jumpers and pass out of double teams?
annarborbear
I will take a pass on all of the criticism of Daniels. After hearing all of the statements last year about how she would never be able to change her shooting form, she went ahead and did that. It showed up especially in her free throws this season. The next step should have been to give her the green light on taking more mid-range shots, which would have also opened up more room for her drives, but our coaches failed to do that this year,. And Instead of making a total commitment to her development, we tried to eek out a few more wins with the four-guard offense, which didn't produce those wins. Daniels has many more things to change in her game, especially in her techniques around the basket, although she is already a very good rebounder. She now has three more years to go and some coaching staff is going to further develop her into an excellent college player.
stu
I agree that Dalaya's shooting skills improved, especially her free throws. IMHO what needs work is her shot selection. I think she'd do better taking more midrange shots and learning to shoot close-in shots like a post. I'm also hoping she'll be able to develop a 3-point shot which would make her a more effective wing.

That said, I see poor shooting from almost everyone in our conference stats. Considering players who took more than 2 shots per game:
.414 Evelien
.390 Michelle
.388 Leilani
.338 Dalayah
.324 Jayda
.310 Mia
.300 Jazlen
.245 Cailyn
I'd say only the top 3 look decent and nobody looks good.

Adjusting for threes (counting a made three as 1.5 made shots) makes our guards look better:
.453 Leilani
.422 Jazlen
.414 Evelien
.392 Jayda
.390 Michelle
.362 Mia
.338 Dalayah
.286 Cailyn

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.