Open practice 8/4

5,989 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's unclear whether anyone is welcome to come, or just season ticket holders and/or Golden Way members (registration is required):

Join us for an open practice in Haas Pavilion to get a first look at the 2022-23 Cal Women's Basketball team!

Date: August 4, 2022
Time: 5pm - 7pm

If you have any additional questions, please contact Devin Shallowhorn with the Cal Athletics Fund at dshallowhorn@berkeley.edu
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
GATC
BearBint said:

It's unclear whether anyone is welcome to come, or just season ticket holders and/or Golden Way members (registration is required):

Join us for an open practice in Haas Pavilion to get a first look at the 2022-23 Cal Women's Basketball team!

Date: August 4, 2022
Time: 5pm - 7pm

If you have any additional questions, please contact Devin Shallowhorn with the Cal Athletics Fund at dshallowhorn@berkeley.edu

I got the message too. I'm both so can't tell by me. Looking forward to it
wvitbear
I got the message. I am a season ticket holder but not a golden supporter. But I make a donation to the women's program.
wvitbear
I signed up.
Ashfield63
wvitbear said:

I signed up.

Thank you, I donated too.....this way we are sent emails and invitations....I missed the banquet in April as I was not aware you had to be a Golden Way donor to be invited to activities and functions. Needing to donate is rather new. However, I dont mind contributing as much as I enjoy Cal WBB!!!!
smh
BearBint said:

It's unclear whether anyone is welcome to come, or just season ticket holders and/or Golden Way members (registration is required)
these GW members last season, though not yet renewed season tickets for 2022-3, dint get an invitation.
covid reluctant bear
SFCALBear72
smh said:

BearBint said:

It's unclear whether anyone is welcome to come, or just season ticket holders and/or Golden Way members (registration is required)
these GW members last season, though not yet renewed season tickets for 2022-3, dint get an invitation.
covid reluctant bear
Send Devin Shallowhorn an email.as suggested above.
wvitbear
I got an invite but have not renewed. Have until the end of the month to renew.
Baygbear
If anyone had to guess what would the cost of a new practice facility would be and where could it possibly go? I'm not too familiar with the campus and the surrounding area but of my limited knowledge it seems that space is pretty limited around Haas Pavilion.
stu
Baygbear said:

If anyone had to guess what would the cost of a new practice facility would be and where could it possibly go? I'm not too familiar with the campus and the surrounding area but of my limited knowledge it seems that space is pretty limited around Haas Pavilion.
If you have to ask you can't afford it.
Baygbear
Lovely response. I just keep seeing all over the news outlets about this lottery so it got me to thinking how much it would cost because it seems to be a common subject brought up when referencing reasons recruits might be put off by Cal.
wvitbear
Got a note from Bobbk, Stanford fan. Stanford has no practice gym for its WBB, volleyball, and mens BBall. Doesn't seem to hurt the WBB or Volleyball which are the best teams in the conference year in year out.
bobbk
Me? Stanford has had a practice gym for about 10 years now.
Baygbear
I was going to say that Stanford has a practice gym but if Bobbk said otherwise I believe it.
bobbk
Not just the large practice gym but others on Campus Goodness Wv
annarborbear
Here is an example of what they have at Gonzaga for both men's and women's basketball. Total cost of $24 million funded by their donors:

Steve Hertz Practice Facility
The latest addition to Gonzaga Athletic Facilities includes Brown Court, located inside the Steve Hertz Practice Facility. The practice gym allows both Men's and Women's Basketball teams an ideal work out location for all training needs. The practice court is equipped with six hoops, Daktronics scoreboards, and a video platform to film practices. Student-athletes and coaches can enhance their work outs by using the bluetooth sound system to play music or by watching game film on the 90" court TV. Adjacent to Brown Court are the state-of-the-art weight room and McCarthey Family Film Room.

McCarthey Family Film Room
The theater style seating in the McCarthey Family Film Room enables 25 student-athletes to watch and study game film in a relaxed and comfortable environment. The athletes can watch up to four live games at once on the 90" TV or their own game film with complete viewing versatility.

Rian G. Oliver Student-Athlete Enrichment Lab
The Rian G. Oliver Student-Athlete Enrichment Lab is a remarkable all-in-one study space utilized by every Gonzaga Student-Athletes. The lab includes: common space for studying, private study rooms, a multipurpose room for team meetings, and a computer lab. The kitchenette provides a place for students to fix meals and snacks during the day. Student-athletes are able to meet with tutors, academic support and compliance staff all in one location..

Karen Gaffney Champions Room
The Karen Gaffney Champions Room enables Gonzaga Athletics to host more team banquets, socials and special events in a beautiful setting. The space includes 13 TVs to display presentations or watch live GU sporting events. The Gaffney room presents plenty of socializing locations either on the patio or next to the fireplace. Attached to the Karen Gaffney Champions Room is the McCann Board room, utilized as a smaller meeting space for the athletic department.

They don't have football, so basically all of this is funded and dedicated to having winning basketball teams.

ClayK
Or you can go to RSF and play pickup with guys who couldn't make their high school team ... oh, and walk back to your apartment to shower.
stu
ClayK said:

Or you can go to RSF and play pickup with guys who couldn't make their high school team ... oh, and walk back to your apartment to shower.
If you can still walk after they foul you hard for embarrassing them.
Schroeder71
Question for this Thursday's scrimmage: ask if the team will employ 4 guards and a single post player this season. Cal has a plethora of tall guards (5'11 to 6-0) that could be used to full or half court press. The Bears have a half dozen (6) players that have played inside on the frontline in the past but two of those are under-sized [Peanut Tuitele (6-1) and Jadyn Bush (5-11)]. Also, the availability of 6-7 Sela Heide has not been there over the last two seasons. It would seem to me that Cal would need her height to play two traditional posts in 2022-2023. Another problem could be the propensity to foul by Michelle Onyiah. The Bears need many more minutes on the floor from her this year. If traditional Cal basketball is played, it will put a lot of pressure on 6-2 Evelien Lutje-Schipholt and the 6-4 transfer from USF, Claudia Langarita, to play a lot of minutes. GO BEARS!
stu
Evelien is a real warrior who can defend several positions and play offense next to or away from the basket. I'm sure she'll see plenty of minutes.

If Michelle can stay on the court and Sela can stay healthy I think they'll share the minutes at center.

It will be hard to keep Leilani and Jayda off the court though I hope they won't have to play 40 minutes this season.

It will be interesting to see how all of out wings and forwards sort themselves out. I expect to see everyone play a lot in the OOC games.
annarborbear
I still don't think that you can win in the PAC-12 with two small guards - 5'5'' and 5'6'' - on the court together most of the time. Regardless of fan favorites, I think that we will need to get some size out there to match up better with our opponents. Both small guards should still get good minutes, but we will have to see who else can best contribute to an overall guard rotation.
ClayK
This is always a conundrum: Do you play your best five basketball players, or do you try to make sure you have enough size on the floor?

The modern answer is usually to play your best five and figure it out defensively and on the boards, but that still requires above-average size up and down the lineup. Two tiny guards, however, make it hard to get away with small lineups because any switch creates a bad matchup.
wvitbear
Arizona went to the national championship with two small guards.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

Arizona went to the national championship with two small guards.
Their two small guards were 5'6" Macdonald - 33.6 mins/game as a starter - and 5'8 Pellington - 15.5 mins/game as a sub. 5'10" Yeany averaged 23.2 mins/game as the second starter, and 6'0" Pueyo averaged 21.5 mins/game

Our two small guards went 34.5 mins/game and 33.0 mins/game respectively as starters last year. We won one game (non-forfeit) in the conference. So I would definitely like to see what Martin and Ortiz also can do. Nothing wrong with two small guards, but not together most of the time.
HoopDreams
A small guard has surprised me more than once if they are super quick, aggressive and have high hoop IQ

Offensively and defensively

But yeah, defense is the bigger problem, especially with college coaches so good at creating and exploiting matchups, the the problem gets worse with 2 small guards on the floor
Schroeder71
Jayda Curry needs to be on the court because she's the leading scorer on the team. Leilani McIntosh is a PG and her best attribute is her tenacious defense. She steals the ball often. The problem is that bigger guards on other Pac 12 teams often drive to the basket for layups or to draw fouls. Another ploy is to simply post 'em up close to the rim. Also, being of short stature, hinders their ability to stop opponent's three-pointers. It should be interesting to see how the OOC games play out and how the PT gets allocated by HC Charmin Smith. GO BEARS!
annarborbear
HoopDreams said:

A small guard has surprised me more than once if they are super quick, aggressive and have high hoop IQ

But yeah, defense is the bigger problem, especially with college coaches so good at creating and exploiting matchups, the the problem gets worse with 2 small guards on the floor

I think the initial idea was likely that McIntosh would make a great disruptive back-up guard off of the bench, similar to Eliza, behind somebody like Kianna Smith. Come in with maximum energy, up the tempo, make some steals, and make the other team adjust. She has actually exceeded expectations and has everyone's respect. But you also get games like that last one against Utah where she went 35 minutes and scored zero points. She will be a key player on this year's team, and a valuable one. But we will have to find appropriate roles for some other guards as well in order to get some wins, especially against high-scoring bigger people. And, of course, Curry has to be on the court as much as possible to give us her scoring power, but also needs some rest to maintain her energy level and physical health. So again, I hope that Martin and/or Ortiz, with their much bigger size, can come through and earn significant minutes, and will give us some potential different combinations on the floor as needed.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

HoopDreams said:

I think the initial idea was likely that McIntosh would make a great disruptive back-up guard off of the bench, similar to Eliza, behind somebody like Kianna Smith. Come in with maximum energy, up the tempo, make some steals, and make the other team adjust. She has actually exceeded expectations and has everyone's respect. But you also get games like that last one against Utah where she went 35 minutes and scored zero points. She will be a key player on this year's team, and a valuable one. But we will have to find appropriate roles for some other guards as well in order to get some wins, especially against high-scoring bigger people. And, of course, Curry has to be on the court as much as possible to give us her scoring power, but also needs some rest to maintain her energy level and physical health. So again, I hope that Martin and/or Ortiz, with their much bigger size, can come through and earn significant minutes, and will give us some potential different combinations on the floor as needed.
I would add Mia Mastrov (5'11) and perhaps Amaya Bonner (6') to that list as well.
stu
I'd love to see Jayda work on shot selection. Either way she's an amazing scorer but a better shooting percentage would really help the team.
HoopDreams
hopefully we have the depth to play aggressive defense. I don't mean trapping full court all the time, but the type of defense that gets some steals/turnovers, resulting hopefully in fast breaks and easy points. Also, as important the type of defense that doesn't let the offense get comfortable, but one that speeds up the opponent.

also, regarding Leilani, she's trained hard and is now a pretty good shooter.
ClayK
The longer I coach, the more I love big guards.

Taller guards are hard to trap because they can pass over smaller defenders -- and conversely, trap much more effectively.

Taller guards can shoot closer to the basket because their release is higher. Shorter guards have to shoot from further out because a taller defender's hand makes it hard to both see the rim and get off the shot.

Taller guards can see over defenders and take advantage of defensive mistakes.

Taller guards, especially physical guards, can switch onto bigger players and defend without fouling.

Now a small guard like Aari McDonald, the No. 4 overall pick in the WNBA draft, is obviously in a different category than most small guards (though she is not a starter for a bad WNBA team), especially as she is an outstanding defender. But that said, had she been paired with another small guard in the backcourt, Arizona would have had problems defensively against screens and forced switches.

Size matters -- basketball is a game that rewards the tall.
HoopDreams
Would we like a longer guard over a shorter guard, all other things equal?

Yes, of course

What I'm saying is a smaller guard like Leilani and Jazzy can still be very good offensively and defensively

Would they be better on both sides of the court if they were 3-4 inches taller and still maintained their quickness, etc?

Yes

ClayK said:

The longer I coach, the more I love big guards.

Taller guards are hard to trap because they can pass over smaller defenders -- and conversely, trap much more effectively.

Taller guards can shoot closer to the basket because their release is higher. Shorter guards have to shoot from further out because a taller defender's hand makes it hard to both see the rim and get off the shot.

Taller guards can see over defenders and take advantage of defensive mistakes.

Taller guards, especially physical guards, can switch onto bigger players and defend without fouling.

Now a small guard like Aari McDonald, the No. 4 overall pick in the WNBA draft, is obviously in a different category than most small guards (though she is not a starter for a bad WNBA team), especially as she is an outstanding defender. But that said, had she been paired with another small guard in the backcourt, Arizona would have had problems defensively against screens and forced switches.

Size matters -- basketball is a game that rewards the tall.
Schroeder71
Jazlen Green is tall (5-11) and slender. Maybe you meant Jayda Curry?
ClayK
I think playing both together limits the opportunities for them being good, or even adequate, defensively against top-shelf competition. Playing one is OK, because you can hide her or adjust, but playing both opens a lot of doors for the opposition.

Of course they can play together against weaker teams, but assuming the goal is to beat good teams, one of the guards on the court needs to have some size.
wvitbear
Stanfords two guards when they won the National Championship were only 5'8". They had a lot of height in the front court though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.