PAC-12 Tournament

3,218 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wvitbear
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today Stanford showed no intensity in a 15 - 29 4th quarter rout and lost 65 to 69 to 5 seed UCLA.

Yesterday Utah showed no shooting and scored only 58 in a loss to Colorado.

Those two better shape up for the NCAA Tournament.
SFCALBear72
I think you meant to say Utah lost to Washington State not Colorado.

That same Cougars team leads Colorado by 10 near halftime.
stu
Oops, you're correct.

After 3 Washington State and Colorado are tied.
I.E.Bear
WSU is back up by 10 with 2 minutes to go. Colorado made a nice run, but WSU came back even with Leger-Walker on the bench for a bit.
stu
Washington State wins by 12. Once they got past us they were on their way.
I.E.Bear
stu said:

Washington State wins by 12. Once they got past us they were on their way.

I only caught their games against Cal this season, but watching their tournament run shows how solid of a team they are. Sunday should be a good game.
Schroeder71
I did not see tonight's game but Washington State beat Colorado by the identical score that they defeated Cal, 61-49. Before the game, I thought to myself that these are the two best defensive teams in the P12. Then, I remembered some of the games that USC won w/ defense. Those three teams are the best defenses in the conference and all three will likely make the NCAA Tournament.

Charmin Smith needs to make changes in her coaching staff. Cal has one of the two weakest defenses in the Pac12 and will never become a winning program without substantial improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

What do you think, Cal fans? Do I speak the truth or not? I predict Washington State will defeat UCLA and earn the automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. GO BEARS!
wvitbear
Charlisse, WSU's best player missed 4 games to go back to New Zealand when her mother or grandmother was sick, They lost all those games when she was gone. If she had stayed they might be 26 and 6. Last year they were second in the conference in the regular season. They play very tough.
SFCALBear72
The #5 Seed and #7 Seed play for the Pac-12 Championship.

Who saw that coming?? Wow!!

Especially after Stanford and Utah were deemed #1 Seeds in the first reveal of the top 16.

Warning to teams out there in the NCAA Tournament. You don't want a Pac-12 team in your bracket. They are battle tested!!

#BackthePac
wvitbear
WSU and UCLA had key players out this year.
wifeisafurd
Really tough conference. I'm not sure Furd or Utah are hugely impacted in seedings.
blungld
Why is that that since the inception of the tournament, Cal has NEVER won either (both men and women have lost in finals as high seed twice)? And never have we ever even been the "surprise" team that makes a run? It is so frustrating and even against the odds of our we-can't-have-nice-things-woofing-Gods-we-sucktitude.

Also, never been that surprise Rose Bowl participant either.

We play at or worse than expectations for decades in all major sports. Ouch.
wvitbear
I wonder why more good teams don't play poorly to get out of the tourney. Don't want any of your players hurt and most are tired from the regular season. In the past we shared the regular season title at 17 and 1 but lost in the Pac 12 tourney. But we made the final four. Which would you rather do, win the Pac 12 tourney or go to the final four?
CalWSportsFan
I went to New Orleans and watched Cal in Final Four. That beats the PAC-12 tourney any day FWIW.
annarborbear
I seem to remember worrying about this issue back in 2013. Hasn't been a concern of ours in almost a decade. And it doesn't look like we will have to worry about it again any time soon.
CalWSportsFan
Who knows? Former basement dwellers have risen up…WSU…AZ…things change eh?
annarborbear
CalWSportsFan said:

They changed coaches.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

CalWSportsFan said:

They changed coaches.
I'll take the bait from your "negativity campaign" and ask who'd you rather see coaching Cal WBB and why.
annarborbear
Here is my negativity campaign:

12th, 11th, 11th and 10th place conference finishes
Overall, less than 20% conference winning percentage
No post-season appearances
Worst defense and rebounding statistics in the PAC-12
NCAA NET ranking = 80
Zero ESPN Top 100 recruits coming in next year; one in the past two years
Daniels now doing well at Washington
Attendance down to 10th in the conference.

Please give us your own metrics to support your own positivity.

Hire the best young minority female assistant from any of the top finishers in this year's NCAA tournament.
CalWSportsFan
Yeah, I know...I was simply pointing out that things ebb and flow....I also think now we have another issue to deal with...the demise of the Pac12. What will that mean going forward for teams not called UCLA and USC?
SFCALBear72
I think Charmin hired the wrong recruiting coordinator. Paul Reed.

In his bio, it doesn't say which players he was credited with recruiting to UW. Just that he helped them achieve Pac-12 academic honors.

He also works with the post players and assists on the defensive end. Both weaknesses for this team.

We had April Phillips for a short stint. She was credited with attracting good young players to Arizona at the beginning of Adia Barnes' tenure there. That laid the groundwork for their success now. She went to Texas after leaving Cal and helped that program with recruiting. She's now the head coach at San Jose State.

We need a young dynamic female recruiting coordinator who knows where to find hidden gems as well as attract Top 100 talent.
polarbear
Go Cougs! Beat fUCLA!!!
annarborbear
I have said that I think Charmin is a good coach. But in the PAC-12, it is all about size and talent. Nine other teams in the league are bringing in a total of 18 ESPN Top 100 recruits next year while we have none. And in the portal, our three transfers this year combined for 20 ppg, while USC's top three transfers combined for 40 ppg, and two of them made All-Conference,

I can't name a single recruiting coordinator in the league. They probably all work hard, but are only as good as the product that they have to sell. With a new coach, you can initially sell hope. But after that, you have to sell performance.
GATC
annarborbear said:

I have said that I think Charmin is a good coach. But in the PAC-12, it is all about size and talent. Nine other teams in the league are bringing in a total of 18 ESPN Top 100 recruits next year while we have none. And in the portal, our three transfers this year combined for 20 ppg, while USC's top three transfers combined for 40 ppg, and two of them made All-Conference,

I can't name a single recruiting coordinator in the league. They probably all work hard, but are only as good as the product that they have to sell. With a new coach, you can initially sell hope. But after that, you have to sell performance.

It does seem like the areas that Paul was supposed to focus on (post play, recruiting and defense) have been our biggest failures.
annarborbear
GATC said:

annarborbear said:

It does seem like the areas that Paul was supposed to focus on (post play, recruiting and defense) have been our biggest failures.
Eve has been a huge success with great improvement over four years, but not quite tall enough for the position. Michele is an enigma with whom Charmin has spent plenty of personal time. But go ahead and replace Reed if that will eliminate any final excuses. Or I can add to my list: "Hires bad assistants".

By the way, Charmin in her college and pro playing career and in her coaching career has been known for her focus on defense. But she now doesn't have the players to do the job.
GATC
annarborbear said:

GATC said:

annarborbear said:

Eve has been a huge success with great improvement over four years, but not quite tall enough for the position. Michele is an enigma with whom Charmin has spent plenty of personal time. But go ahead and replace Reed if that will eliminate any final excuses. Or I can add to my list: "Hires bad assistants".

By the way, Charmin in her college and pro playing career and in her coaching career has been known for her focus on defense. But she now doesn't have the players to do the job.

I meant to comment on the quote from SFCalBears72. I had no idea what Paul Reed was supposed to focus on so I went to Calbears.com. I would have never guessed that he was the recruiting coordinator.
annarborbear
Seems like there is no disputing our many bad performance metrics, but instead there is the suggestion from some that they are Paul Reed's fault. That would seem like if Mark Fox was trying to put all of the blame for his team's bad performance on Chris Harriman.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

Seems like there is no disputing our many bad performance metrics, but instead there is the suggestion from some that they are Paul Reed's fault. That would seem like if Mark Fox was trying to put all of the blame for his team's bad performance on Chris Harriman.
Reed's job title is recruiting coordinator. You've complained on many threads about the lack of Top 100 signees in past two years. I was making the correlation with Paul Reed since he's been here since April 2021. He is partially responsible but so is Charmin for "not closing the deal" - a commitment and signing.
HoopDreams
WSU beats UCLA for title
BearBint
HoopDreams said:

WSU beats UCLA for title

Good! Checking the score/stats during an intermission at Zellerbach.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
Kamie Ethridge in her 5th season as Washington State's HC leads her team to the Pac 12 Women's Basketball Championship and an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. It will be the Cougar's 3rd consecutive NCAA appearance.
Kamie Ethridge - Women's Basketball Coach - Washington State University Athletics (wsucougars.com)

***Get this-this the first Pac 12 title in ANY SPORT for Washington State in 21 years!!!***Never, never give up!

Do you think that she would consider the Cal job? I wish. Congratulations, Kamie & WSU!
polarbear
Congrats to WSU!!! Not Cal but at least its not fUCLA or Furd!
wvitbear
Kamie has two men on her staff. It would never fly.
CalWSportsFan
wvitbear said:

Kamie has two men on her staff. It would never fly.
I'm so over this obsession with male coaches....Tara has zero. So what?
annarborbear
Ethridge still has that strong Texas accent as does her mom. Could see her finally getting an offer from one of the better programs in her home state. Good time to make a move if she wants to do so with Leger-Walker departing and after this tournament championship. She is a great coach.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.