Jayda Curry has entered the transfer portal

6,628 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by stu
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yikes:
stu
Ugh. Haven't seen any confirmation though.
Shocky1
stu, she's gone, no longer lists cal on her twitter
SFCALBear72
Shocky1 said:

stu, she's gone, no longer lists cal on her twitter
lol.

Her profile pics still reflect being at Cal.
Shocky1
sf, jayda's twitter header is now blank where it used to reference cal basketball, not sure if you understand how this works but cal's women's athletics is in a serious nosedive

reality is that coach charmin is a terrible coach (but a good human being)

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/0

Ashfield63
stu said:

Ugh. Haven't seen any confirmation though.
Bummer, feeling sick to my stomach.........Why, she's the Star! Does she have WNBA Aspirations?

Hope she doesn't play in the Pac-12.........Do players have a hunch where they will be offered if they

enter the Portal? I feel badly for everyone, Charmin, coaches, players, and supporters.
Shocky1
jayda is leaving without a berkeley degree

think about that

yes, players have a hunch where they're going, usually there has already been contact thru family members & former coaches

returning home to usc or ucla would be a good guess

this team will struggle to score 50 points a game next season

Ashfield63
Shocky1 said:

think about that

yes, players have a hunch where they're going, usually there has already been contact thru family members & former coaches

Both USC and UCLA have guards better then Jayda. She probably would not play as many minutes, but will be on a winning team. Both teams will be in the Big Ten her senior year. UCLA has Kiki Rice(#1) recruit in 2022 and #1 recruit JuJu Watkins entering USC. I kind of do not get it.......
Shocky1
nil dollars are probably a factor in a decision to forego a berkeley degree for an outstanding student athlete (this is not a case of someone on academic probation or flunking out)
SFCALBear72
Ashfield63 said:

Shocky1 said:

think about that

Both USC and UCLA have guards better then Jayda. She probably would not play as many minutes, but will be on a winning team. Both teams will be in the Big Ten her senior year. UCLA has Kiki Rice(#1) recruit in 2022 and #1 recruit JuJu Watkins entering USC. I kind of do not get it.......
Ashfield63: This person Shocky1 has NO inside information about Jayda's future plans. Don't buy into it. Her entrance into the transfer portal has not been confirmed by another outlet. Raoul has a Twitter blog which is followed by Charmin. He has NOT confirmed Jayda's departure.
Ashfield63
SFCALBear72 said:

Ashfield63 said:

Shocky1 said:

think about that

Ashfield63: This person Shocky1 has NO inside information about Jayda's future plans. Don't buy into it. Her entrance into the transfer portal has not been confirmed by another outlet. Raoul has a Twitter blog which is followed by Charmin. He has NOT confirmed Jayda's departure.

Thank-you, The first thing I did was check Raoul.......
Schroeder71
I often thought of this potentially happening but decided not to bring it up on this website. On Charmin Smith's final postgame interview, I believe that she mentioned Jayda Curry would be returning next season w/ her sitting beside her.

If this comes to pass, it needs to be the end of Charmin Smith's job as Cal HC. Let's hire two new basketball coaches at the same time and attempt to rebuild the programs simultaneously. Without Curry, Cal will be fortunate to win a game next season. I would not even be shocked if CS resigns because she knows this to be true. I would bet that others depart, too. Like when someone mentioned that Gottlieb bailed when Anigwe graduated because she knew that the team could not be competitive. Others transferred and the team dropped to the bottom of the conference.
calbear80
Ouch!

Bring Back Respect To Cal FB, MBB And WBB!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
schroeder, this is zero chance that the head coach is gonna resign from her almost $500,000 annual salary

this is someone who has been given every opportunity to succeed with great mentors but inexplicably decided that michelle onyiah shouldn't start a single games this season despite her team being significantly out rebounded & ruthlessly abused in the paint for point blank lay ups on defense
HoopDreams

eastcoastcal
wow, and i was literally supposed to meet up with her on Thursday

Does anyone know how many years are left on Coach Smith's contract? Is it likely that we move on after next season if it's a bad year?
SFCALBear72
eastcoastcal said:

Does anyone know how many years are left on Coach Smith's contract? Is it likely that we move on after next season if it's a bad year?
Hold up!

This is only ONE tweet saying she is in the portal. No one else has confirmed the authenticity of this information. Even Jayda has not announced anything about this on social media (Instagram/Twitter).

Meet with Jayda on Thursday.
BearBint
SFCALBear72 said:

eastcoastcal said:

This is only ONE tweet saying she is in the portal. No one else has confirmed the authenticity of this information. Even Jayda has not announced anything about this on social media (Instagram/Twitter).
To paraphrase BearBloke a minute ago, "Isn't that what the Net is for: rumors?"
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
bearwbbfan
The people at "The Next" clearly have a source who tells them who is in the portal.

Curry is now listed on Raoul's wbbblog.com transfer page as well.
SFCALBear72
bearwbbfan said:

The people at "The Next" clearly have a source who tells them who is in the portal.

I hadn't been looking at that particular page on Raoul's site.
I'm wondering if she began to feel "boxed" in with Leilani returning and Lulu coming in next Fall.

Well, the portal works both ways.
stu
SFCALBear72 said:

bearwbbfan said:

I'm wondering if she began to feel "boxed" in with Leilani returning and Lulu coming in next Fall.

I suppose we'll hear from Jayda herself soon enough.

She seems, like Steph, to be a natural scoring PG. Whether here or elsewhere I hope that works out for her.

Regarding the portal, I see an urgent need for at least two bigs who can defend and rebound. Pass and shoot would also be good.
socaliganbear
Next year is looking like the men's season this year, a wasted season of everyone's lives until the inevitable happens.
stu
I'm not going to make any predictions until I see who the transfer portal brings (or takes away).

FWIW I think both our men's and women's teams had talent deficits compared to teams in the top half of the conference. I'd say our men had more problems at guard and our women had more problems with posts. While both are important, issues at guard can be harder to manage (see our women's 2020-21 record). This season our women won 9 OOC games and beat top-25 USC while our men won only 1 OOC game and 3 overall.

Another difference is coaching. To my eyes our women looked like they knew what to do, even if they weren't always able to get it done. Our men looked totally disorganized on offense.
annarborbear
With Jim Knowlton as our AD, there could be a contract extension coming up.
I.E.Bear
It's definitely official now and is very disappointing. It's obvious that Jayda wants to win and being turned down for awards because you're on a losing team has to also play some role in this. I noticed a couple of the mid major schools that recruited her are playing post season basketball. Many factors at play here.

I could actually see her at UCLA next season, which would suck. Either way I wish her the best.

There are some interesting post players in the portal and that's what Cal needs. Hopefully we can get 2 posts and now a guard.
Shocky1
SFCALBear72 said:

bearwbbfan said:

lulu is yet another undersized guard that will be a fan favorite (we luv our aussies) but not an impact or probably even rotation player
3Cats4CAL
First Daniels, (not including Samb), and now Curry. Who's next? Onyiah?
annarborbear
It would be great if we could get a post in the portal who could go for 11 ppg and 6 rpg, while shooting 49.6% from the field and being 4th in the league in blocked shots. (Those were Daniels stats this year with the Huskies. One reason they won seven games after only two the year before.)
polarbear
What a shame. Can't blame her though, no player wants to spend their whole college career at or near their conference basement, especially now watching the tournament selection shows and what those other players will be able to experience.
stu
Shocky1 said:

lulu is yet another undersized guard that will be a fan favorite (we luv our aussies) but not an impact or probably even rotation player
I saw several sources listing Lulu at 5'10". Is that undersized these days?
Intuit
certainly not if she can average 15ppg and put a freshman of the year trophy in her locker
blungld
There goes any hope.
SFCALBear72
Still no "official" announcement from Jayda on her departure on either Twitter or Instagram.
Her Instagram posts this week have been spotlighting some of her teammates and promoting Wing Stop.

Second thoughts??
I.E.Bear
SFCALBear72 said:

Still no "official" announcement from Jayda on her departure on either Twitter or Instagram.
Her Instagram posts this week have been spotlighting some of her teammates and promoting Wing Stop.

Second thoughts??

Maybe not second thoughts, but could there be a chance that she stays at Cal? Entering the portal could be her exploring her options and seeing if another situation fits. And if that is the case, then there's no reason to make a big deal out of everything with an announcement.
3Cats4CAL
And maybe she's waiting to see who Charmin is able to bring in through the transfer portal that she would be playing alongside instead of the graduated seniors...but I think it's wishful thinking. Previously it's been discussed that to be a winning team besides needing a great coach you need great players but it's hard to attract top players to a team that has been in the bottom for the past few years and that maybe potential great players may eventually choose Cal if it is shown that the coach is making a big difference.But it hasn't happened. Why should Curry or us think we will get any great transfers coming in? We're not going to get a transfer like Pilli. At best It will most likely end up being Cal competing to be in the higher end of the bottom 6.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.