Women's Basketball
Sponsored by

Golden State Valkyries

9,844 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ClayK
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought I'd share a gift link to this good piece in The Athletic on the Valkyries: Inside the Golden State Valkyries' billion-dollar success that's setting a new WNBA bar

Woodacre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks!
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those interested, Eric Apricot posted another great explainer video.

Quote:

We break down how Chicago repeatedly exploited the Valkyries' initial game plan and how Coach Natalie Nakase made adjustments to fix the defense to allow the Golden State Valkyries to come back to blow out the Sky. The video explains pick-and-roll basics and the defensive terminology (over/under, drop, deep drop, swiping/walling up) as well as analyzing the changes that forced tougher shots and disrupted Chicago's rhythm. Plus an analysis of three-point celebrations.



CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those who haven't had a chance to attend a game in Ballhalla, here's the intro video they play for players prior to start of game. I have to say, the first time I saw it, gave me chills.... It's impossible to capture the full energy around the intro, but I recorded the entire thing to share in case you have an interest.

mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalWSportsFan said:

For those who haven't had a chance to attend a game in Ballhalla, here's the intro video they play for players prior to start of game. I have to say, the first time I saw it, gave me chills.... It's impossible to capture the full energy around the intro, but I recorded the entire thing to share in case you have an interest.



Thanks for sharing! Pretty well done....

For those who haven't ever seen or heard...the "Goat" of introductions:



https://www.theringer.com/2018/11/13/nba/oral-history-chicago-bulls-introduction-michael-jordan



CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2027 All Star game will be at Ballhalla. No surprise really...why not???

All Star Game will be in SF in 2027

Quote:

In Year One, the Valkyries made history by reaching the playoffs and becoming the most valuable WNBA team, thanks to fan fervor surrounding the team. According to Sportico's recent report, the Valkyries have a $850 million valuation making them the most valuable WNBA team a second year in a row.
"The opportunity to bring this jewel event to the Bay Area and to celebrate what we've built not for just Ballhalla, but for all of the WNBA, it felt like the right time," Smith said. "It's a great responsibility, and we feel really deeply that we want to get this right, and we want to celebrate with our fans."
Touting the city's team and the arena, Lurie said, "There is no better sporting experience in the country right now than going to a Valkyries game."
"The Valkyries have taken the sports world by storm," Lurie told CBS News Bay Area. "And now we get to show the entire country with the WNBA All-Star game. Next year is going to be just so exciting for our city and for the Valkyries."

CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Veronica Burton has to be the best all-around point guard in the W at this point. So good on both sides of the ball. So glad to see her stellar play recognized this week.
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good overview of how the Valkyries got where they are so quickly.... BTW, guess which women's college basketball team was mentioned by name first in the video??? (hint-not Stanford). Go Bears! (also the first college crowd is at a full Haas Cal v Stanford too).....mentions/photos start around 1:25 but entire video worth watching....



SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fascinating story. Thanks for sharing.
Let the playoffs begin!!

Go Valkyries! Go Bears!
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalWSportsFan said:

Veronica Burton has to be the best all-around point guard in the W at this point. So good on both sides of the ball. So glad to see her stellar play recognized this week.

I love Burton--her poise, her smarts, her willingness to lead in any situation, however tough.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For Valks fans, here's a great in-depth piece on coach Nakase's roots and the evolution of her coaching philosophy. A good read: https://clutchpoints.com/wnba/golden-state-valkyries/exclusive-natalie-nakase-tokyo-apache-roots-valkyries-coaching-philosophy
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember all the buzz Haley Jones created when coming out of high school. Then she locked in on Tara and Stanford with her commitment. She had a very successful and productive college career.

Fast forward to today. She now sits on the end of the Dallas Wings bench and has barely seen the court against the Valkyries in the playoffs.

What happened?
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Call me crazy but uh.... shouldn't Arike have been ejected when she went for the throat of Tiffany Hayes? Not to be soft here but when you do that and i'm the ref, you're getting tossed.
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72 said:

Remember all the buzz Haley Jones created when coming out of high school. Then she locked in on Tara and Stanford with her commitment. She had a very successful and productive college career.

Fast forward to today. She now sits on the end of the Dallas Wings bench and has barely seen the court against the Valkyries in the playoffs.

What happened?

The modern game requires perimeter players to shoot and make threes. Haley Jones, unfortunately, cannot do that.

She is also a little slow for the WNBA level, so the combination of no outside shooting and some defensive liabilities have made her a borderline player.

One note: It is very difficult to see on TV, or even in the stands, just how big, strong, fast, skilled and competitive WNBA players are. We can't help but compare them to the men that we see from the same perspective, so they look slower and less athletic (which of course they are). But sit courtside or actually play against a WNBA player and you'll quickly realize this is a very, very high level of basketball.

The fact that Haley Jones can't quite compete at this level is more a reflection of how good the women's game is rather than any kind of failure on her part.
kc1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wow.. what a game tonight. great series
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Games like these are not heart healthy.
kc1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
haha.. then you won't like a 5 game series with the Aces
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lordy, lordy, I thought BearBloke was going to faint during that fourth quarter; I told him it was just preparation for Cal's next season. I think the Valks might get a game off the Aces, if only because their fans are willing them to do so.

(Still can't believe that it took so long to get a W franchise in the Bay Area; we were so clearly ready, willing and able to support one, and support it passionately.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Las Vegas is not very deep, and the schedule calls for four games in eight days. Huge advantage for GSV.
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ClayK said:

Las Vegas is not very deep, and the schedule calls for four games in eight days. Huge advantage for GSV.

True. And the first two games are at Chase/Ballhalla.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will be there today as a friend of mine offered me a baseline seat. I'll be the guy with the white hair on the visitor's end of the court.
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ClayK said:

I will be there today as a friend of mine offered me a baseline seat. I'll be the guy with the white hair on the visitor's end of the court.

Give our regards to any player who lands in your lap. (For your sake, I hope it's not A'ja. God, those women are huge close up.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBint said:

ClayK said:

I will be there today as a friend of mine offered me a baseline seat. I'll be the guy with the white hair on the visitor's end of the court.

Give our regards to any player who lands in your lap. (For your sake, I hope it's not A'ja. God, those women are huge close up.)

That's okay ..as long as you are 'pointing' at her!
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Clay, ever since I've known you, you have had white hair.
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I knew Clay in high school and I'm not sure if he was graying then.
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBint said:

ClayK said:

I will be there today as a friend of mine offered me a baseline seat. I'll be the guy with the white hair on the visitor's end of the court.

Give our regards to any player who lands in your lap. (For your sake, I hope it's not A'ja. God, those women are huge close up.)

At my age sitting too close to the court would be a health risk. Don't think I could dodge an errant basketball, let alone a 200 lb player.
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wvitbear said:

Clay, ever since I've known you, you have had white hair.

Coaching girls' JV basketball in my 30s was all it took ...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.