Alaysia Styles tweets Q/A link

2,631 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by annarborbear
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?

> Once again we caught up with one of San Diego's former prep standouts, performing at the next level. This time around it's La Jolla Country Day alum and current University of California Wing, Alaysia Styles. @TorreyAthletics @CalWBBall @CalCoachG

10Qs linkage..
https://sdhr.sportsengine-prelive.com/news_article/show/915199?referrer_id=3067765

Q/A short format. leadin..

Alaysia Styles was nightmare for opposing players and coaches in San Diego, and frankly throughout the state as prep player, for famed La Jolla Country Day. Her high school career included numerous league titles as well as a state title in her sophomore season, along with several individual accolades. After completing her highly successful high school career, "Bird" took her game up to northern California to play for top 25 ranked Cal and to compete in arguably the toughest conference in the country, the Pac 12. We had a chance to catch up with her as she reflected on her freshman campaign.

Q1) Berkeley is a ... um....interesting place what do you enjoy about it the most?

A1) There's a lot of things to love about Berkeley and it's a super special place to go to college. If I had to choose one thing I liked about it most it would probably have to be how easy it is to be free. Everyone is weird in their own way and on the outside looking in, it can be seen as a place to stay away from but if you embrace its qualities, then it's an amazing place to be.

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
BearBint
Sounds like a mature young woman. I like her rebounding, too!
puget sound cal fan
She "gets" Berkeley and Cal. I think she's ready to have a big year.
wvitbear
We have talked about the guards improving us next year but I think that Styles and West are the keys. One of the reason we improved was that we became a better rebounding team this year. We have lost our second leading rebounder in Nina. And Cowling was a good rebounder from the wing position. Ergo, West and Styles need to step up as we didn't land any Bigs.
SFCALBear72
wvitbear said:

We have talked about the guards improving us next year but I think that Styles and West are the keys. One of the reason we improved was that we became a better rebounding team this year. We have lost our second leading rebounder in Nina. And Cowling was a good rebounder from the wing position. Ergo, West and Styles need to step up as we didn't land any Bigs.
I agree about West and Styles. I also think that Coach G and staff will put a greater emphasis on rebounding for Brown and Forbes (averaged 6.5 rebounds per game as a senior) especially with our guard depth and as a means of triggering fast breaks.
stu
SFCALBear72 said:

I also think that Coach G and staff will put a greater emphasis on rebounding for Brown and Forbes

Considering our depth at guard I wouldn't be surprised to see Forbes log some minutes at power forward.
annarborbear
With this roster, if we keep the same offensive and defensive systems, we may end up with a lot of square pegs in round holes. So hope that we can get more creative than that. Although it would be a real difference maker if Styles can step forward and take Davidson's place on defense and on the boards.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.