Houston preview...(link)

5,017 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uhcougars.com/documents/2018/6/18/wbb_season_stats.pdf

The University of Houston is very experienced & returns virtually intact from last season (20-12). The top six players that play 20 mpg or more are three seniors & three juniors. The Cougars outscored their opposition by three [74-71] last season. Their top seven scorers are back but all but one are guards or wing players. The #6 scorer, Myyah West (6-2 senior PF), grabbed 5.4 rebounds/game. UH has two 6-3 bench players plus a 6-2 frosh on the roster, too, but all have yet to contribute. The Cougs hit 34% of their threes and only 65.5% of their free throws.

Houston is not a strong rebounding team (37.6). Their top rebounder is a 5-11 wing, Serithia Hawkins, with 8 rpg & 12 points per game. Two junior guards named Harris (Jasmin and Angela) are their top two scorers, averaging 19.6 & 14.9 ppg, respectively. Dorian Branch is a 5-10 junior SF that averages 9.7 ppg. These top four players averaged over 33 minutes per game each. Octavia Barnes (5-11 senior SF) and Myyah West (6-2 senior PF), play 24 & 20 mpg, respectively.

Angela Harris averages three steals per game and the team forces 11 steals on average.

https://houston_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-201809.html
Recee Caldwell went off offensively for 24 points in Texas Tech's loss @ Houston last year (75-79). She scored 10 baskets and had nine assists. She also had 7 turnovers. Houston forced 20 TOs overall.

prediction: Cal 72, UH 68. Kristine Anigwe should be able to score inside. It might come down to the Bear's defensive intensity because the lackadaisical effort exhibited against Westmont will LOSE 'em their opener. Houston's guards may possess more speed than Cal's backcourt, causing a myriad of turnovers. GO BEARS!

wvitbear
First of all, I thought we played great defense when we played man to man. They shot 23 % against us. You have the obsession with steals. As I have said before, of the top five leaders in steals in the Pac 12 last year, only one made it to the NCAA's. Of the top 5 in opposition FG %, all five were in the NCAA's. Of the bottom five in Opposition FG %, only one made it. The last place team last year in steals was Oregon State. Does anyone feel they can't play defense.

We didn't play great defense when we played zone which is when they scored all their points. But I don't think they were lackadaisical. Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
HoopDreams
Good early test for Bears
Veteran team, but lacks a big post presence

I'm thinking KA has a good game an we win opener
blungld
Anyone watching the stream? There's no picture.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
ncbears
just tuned in near end of first period. I had a picture. Biggest problem for me is that the shot clock is next to the visitor score so when I first looked, I thought Bears were in big big big trouble. 16-15 Houston at the end of the first quarter. Poor shooting by Bears (25%).
ncbears
and with 6:24 to go in the Second Quarter, KA sits with her third foul.
ncbears
4:52 to go in second - Bears are 5 of 23 from floor; 0-8 from three. Trail 23-19.
blungld
If your strategy is to pound it inside, you might eant to be good at layups.

ncbears
At the half Houston 30 Cal 29.
West with 6 Anigwe with 10
Forbes and Thomas each with 4
Styles and Smith each with 2
and Brown with 1
Shooting picked up (mostly West down low) to finish half 10-31; but still 0-10 from deep.
blungld
So many times they are falling away rather than going strong.

blungld
Make the layups! How many years has this been our curse?

ncbears
Tied at 40 with 4:53 to go in third. Anigwe with 20. The more things change..... Caldwell with one shot - and five turnovers.
MoragaBear
Staff
I'm at the game. A lot of it's been a bit sloppy for Cal on both ends of the court but they seem to be pulling away, up 8 now, with Kristine on the line for the +1.

Houston's scrappy and no pushover, though.

Here's another preview of them:

SCOUTING THE COUGARS
Coming off a 20-win season and the program's first postseason appearance since 2011, Houston enters the season with high expectations. The Cougars were picked third in the AAC Preseason Coaches' Poll, finishing behind only Connecticut and South Florida.

Houston returns all five starters from last season and nearly 97% of the team's total scoring from the 2017-18 campaign. Guard Jasmyne Harris, a 2017-18 Second Team All-AAC selection, led the Cougars in scoring last season, averaging 19.6 points per game. The 5'8" Harris was a 2018-19 Preseason First Team All-AAC selection after shooting 36 percent from beyond the arc and 43% overall from the field last season. Angela Harris finished second on the team in scoring last season with 14.9 points per game and earned Third Team All-AAC honors after leading the conference and ranking 15th in the nation with 15 steals on the season.

Serithia Hawkins led the Cougars in rebounding last season, averaging 8.1 rebounds per game. Houston's frontcourt will also be boosted by the addition of redshirt sophomore Alyssa Okoene, who sat out the 2017-18 season after transferring from North Carolina.

Head coach Ronald Hughey is entering his fifth season with the Cougars, leading Houston to its first postseason berth since 2011 last season. The Cougars finished fifth in the American Athletic Conference last season, their highest finish since joining the conference.

ncbears
KA now with 30. 1:45 to go in third.
KA also playing smart with the three fouls, and Bears D seems to be protecting her as well.
But, the Bears are going to need someone else to score during the season. And 0-11 from deep still is not pretty.
MoragaBear
MoragaBear
Staff

All Kristine so far, with 31/10
ncbears
58-48 at end of third. And the 0-11 is now 1-12 thanks to a Caldwell three.
Bears are winning so far at the line - 17-21 v. 6-9. Always good to make more free throws than other team shoots.
ncbears
So why doesn't Cal play West with Anigwe?
ncbears
So, what is KA's prior high game for points? Because she's at 37 with 5:14 to play.
(Never mind - found it - 50 against Sacramento State as sophomore in 24 minutes)
ncbears
What? A T on Gottleib? Not smart, coach, not smart.
ncbears
1:57 to go and Cal lead cut to 3. Smith taking (and missing) an open three but early in the shot clock. But, the Gottlieb "T"....
ncbears
It's Asha at the line as the Bears are scoreless from the field for the last 3:18 but lead 78-71. (Um, now it's 78-74 as Houston hits a three with 43 seconds to go)
ncbears
Cougars block Anigwe and then Caldwell fouls a Cougar on a three point shot.
blungld
Has anyone told them to guard the arc when a team is playing catch up in final seconds? Let them drive.

blungld
Long history of un-smart play in final minutes.

ncbears
Cougars make all three. Bears with ball and 10 seconds to go with a one point lead. Presumably, ball goes to Thomas who will be fouled.....
ncbears
Nope. Couldn't get ball to Thomas, Goes to Brown who is fouled and....she makes them both. 80-77. 10 seconds to go. Let's see what Gottlieb does here....
ncbears
Straight up D - Cougars miss the three, get the rebound and basket but NO FOUL. So Cal wins 80-79. Palms of Victory.
26-31 on free throws! 2-16 on three point shots.
blungld
Great win...but boy it was rough to watch all the mistakes down the stretch.
MoragaBear
Staff
ncbears
blungld said:

Great win...but boy it was rough to watch all the mistakes down the stretch.
I really only saw two - Smith taking the open three early in the shot clock and Caldwell's foul on a three point shot. Oh, THREE, for Gottlieb's Technical Foul - which of course, I have no idea what she did to earn that foul.
GATC
ncbears said:

1:57 to go and Cal lead cut to 3. Smith taking (and missing) an open three but early in the shot clock. But, the Gottlieb "T"....

That was very early in the shot clock. Unbelievable.
grin&bearit
When clearly at that point in the game the plan is to run the clock down.
annarborbear
Great game by Kristine, both in performance and demeanor. Time to send a quick highlight film of this one to our remaining post recruits. But do it soon, because I think we are about to see a lot of zone played against us.
grin&bearit
Once they stop ignoring the OPEN person, then others will be able to score. They clearly have some things to work on but I am glad they are playing according to match ups (or so it seems). KA was unstoppable second half. Their defense really picked up once they got out of zone. Brown needs to finish those layups...but at least she hit some key shots away from the basket. Between her and CJ they may have the highest shooting percentage (not sure...don't quote me). Speaking of which CJ was 3-4 and LG forgot all about her. I didn't see her making any mistakes and I believe she would have continued to dominate the paint as KA did. Did I miss something? I don't remember her coming back in. We could have used Mo's defense against this team as Houston is really fast. Not sure why she didn't get to play. Glad we squeaked out the win.Go Bears!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.