Houston preview...(link)

5,056 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncbears said:

blungld said:

Great win...but boy it was rough to watch all the mistakes down the stretch.
I really only saw two - Smith taking the open three early in the shot clock and Caldwell's foul on a three point shot. Oh, THREE, for Gottlieb's Technical Foul - which of course, I have no idea what she did to earn that foul.
That's three mistakes...and Thomas played the drive and let guard take a step back three with a minute left which she made. Also a turnover on inbounds with about 2 minutes left. Shortly before that Smith taking over 10 seconds to cross mid court. They had 10 point lead with about 3 minutes left and let Houston back in.
wvitbear
Back from the game. Although they announced the technical was on Lindsey. I thought it was on Charmin. She was the one arguing with the ref.

Houston had a lot of fans there tonight. Maybe a couple hundred. Cal had a disappointing crowd for such a quality team to come in and play us. Was embarrassing.
ncbears
blungld said:

ncbears said:

blungld said:

Great win...but boy it was rough to watch all the mistakes down the stretch.
I really only saw two - Smith taking the open three early in the shot clock and Caldwell's foul on a three point shot. Oh, THREE, for Gottlieb's Technical Foul - which of course, I have no idea what she did to earn that foul.
That's three mistakes...and Thomas played the drive and let guard take a step back three with a minute left which she made. Also a turnover on inbounds with about 2 minutes left. Shortly before that Smith taking over 10 seconds to cross mid court. They had 10 point lead with about 3 minutes left and let Houston back in.
As I recall, the 10 point lead was halved quickly with a 3 and followed almost immediately by the Technical foul. I didn't feel like Smith was playing as well as she did last year. And yes, I do wonder why West didn't play more - but then, I don't recall how her free throw shooting is. And I really wonder what was up with Caldwell's game, because she didn't seem to help Cal's cause much (unless she played exceptional defense - but I really didn't have a sense of her defense one way or another -except for that awful last minute foul)
stu
We actually had a 7 point lead with less than a minute to go. I didn't see what Coach G did to earn a T but the refs were truly awful in the second half. The early shot and the 3-point foul really make me wonder what we were thinking.

Recee ended up with 8 TO, many on traveling calls. But Houston was traveling all night with only a couple of calls.

Houston didn't shoot very well but they looked very quick at both ends of the court. I think we matched up much better with both Jaylen and Kristine on the court together, we looked a step slow when both were out. This would have been another good night to have Mi'Cole healthy.

The threes we missed all looked to me like good shots, it would have been a blowout if a third of them had gone in.

Kristine had a stellar game and also played almost the entire second half without picking up any more fouls.

Jaelyn was incredibly active, I'm sure she'll keep her starting slot.

Asha missed most of her shots but otherwise had an excellent game - 8 of 10 free throws, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, and solid defense.
wvitbear
Brown played well down the stretch. Hit that jumper, then a three, and of course the two big throws. Both Kiana and asa who poorly. Won't shoot that bad again.
stu
wvitbear said:

Won't shoot that bad again.
I hope not - our three guards made only 4 of 22 (18%) overall and 1 of 11 (9%) on threes, accounting for just 17 of our 80 points. And I though guard play would be a strength this season.
blungld
Rece looks to be a step slow. I thought her main contribution would be spot up 3s and maturity. But she made mental errors that didn't look like a 5th year player and wasn't spotting up to hit from the arc. Not to be too critical of a new player, but I expect more from her going forward.

Will Mi'Cole be back and at strength this season. Getting worried. She would be a difference maker if at full strength.
CalFanatic
Houston can very easily be a NCAA tournament team (WNIT at a minimum).... so in that sense I am very happy for the win... but wow. We have a TONNNNNN of work to do. Maybe more so than I expected.

Looking forward to seeing our progression in this non-conference play!! GO BEARS
HoopDreams
blungld said:

Rece looks to be a step slow. I thought her main contribution would be spot up 3s and maturity. But she made mental errors that didn't look like a 5th year player and wasn't spotting up to hit from the arc. Not to be too critical of a new player, but I expect more from her going forward.

Will Mi'Cole be back and at strength this season. Getting worried. She would be a difference maker if at full strength.

Agree on both counts
Disappointed so far with Caldwell and worrying about Mi'cole

But it's early so we will see

Without a healthy mi'cole and an effective Caldwell we may have to adjust our outlook, especially since it appears we will be playing 4 out this year
Schroeder71
My suspiscions came home to roost last night. Cal has one athletic, bigtime player in Kristine Anigwe. The rest of the team is methodical and a step slow. The Bears desperately need their fastest guard to return soon in Micole
Cayton.

https://uhcougars.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=8292
BearBint
Yes, where was Mo? Not feeling well. I know her offense is erratic, but her defense isn't.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
GATC
CalFanatic said:

Houston can very easily be a NCAA tournament team (WNIT at a minimum).... so in that sense I am very happy for the win... but wow. We have a TONNNNNN of work to do. Maybe more so than I expected.

Looking forward to seeing our progression in this non-conference play!! GO BEARS
It's good to play a team like that. Actually our team (with the exception of Anigwe) looked the same as we did against our men practice players - bad passing, bad shooting and few open shots other than the lobs inside. Other than Smith who did a good job on their best player, our guard defense was shaky.

Really like the drive and pass off by Styles. Looks like Brown and Forbes will be productive. Good to have Thomas handling the ball when we are trying to protect a lead.

Although Anigwe played great and had some nice moves going left she is going to see much better defenses and defenders. But if she kicks it out when she gets too much attention we will be fine as we have players that should be able to make open 3's. But it would be nice if we had more than a one dimensional offense.

bearchamp
do the mistakes show a lack of discipline and tenacity?
BearBint
I know Kianna wasn't up to her later freshman play, and Caldwell was streaky, but let's remember that this is the second game this particular team has played together. They'll start clicking.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
blungld
I've been most impressed with Forbes this far. She has made a few freshman mistakes, but she looks like she has high basketball IQ (like Kianna) and can score.

Thomas is very sure with the ball now, and I have a lot of trust when the ball is in her hands. Kianna is close to that too, and is starting to be able to create her own shot and hit the pull ups.

If Brown, West, and Stiles can just edge their game up a bit (and it looks like they came into the season ready to do so), and if Rece can pose any threat from the arc, we can be a very good top 20 team.

grin&bearit
The team is methodical because LG and coaching staff makes them that way. The team knows run the play and lob the ball to KA which makes them look like robots. Not sure how that is going to work out against the bigger, taller and stronger teams. IMO the starting 5 needs to be changed. AT, KA. JB, CJ and KS should start and when Mi'Cole gets healthy switch out KS for Mi'Cole. LG could have played man defense a lot more if she would have utilized her bench.
OBear073akaSMFan
blungld said:

Yep Mi'cole is needed. Reece seem a step slow & both she & Asha seem to struggle against Houston's quick & pressuring guards. Jae'lyn Brown was 3-6 from the field. Could have easily been 6-6 but missed 3 uncontested layups or put backs. 26-31 from the free throws! When was the last time they shot this well from the line & looks like they needed them all! Of course happy for Kristine but hope we will not have to depend on her all the time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.