Gottlieb's replacement:

9,339 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by willtalk
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Jennifer Gross
2. Poach Oregon or Oregon St. Coaches.
3. I kinda like Georgia's coach. (81-44) excellent recruiter, probably wants to stay in South though.
4. Lisa Fortier -- never could get Few here how about Lisa?
stu
A little background:

NBA story

Cal story
CalWSportsFan
Gross would be an excellent hire.

Forget Oregon coaches...not going to happen.
vivaldi
Someone who prioritizes academics as well as athletics, who gets what it means to be a student at Cal.
DavisBear
Gross would be a great hire!
stu
I wonder if Knowlton already has a short list or if he was blindsided and will resort to a search firm?

Also tough timing, this far after the season.
ricehntr5
The problem with getting Gross is that she has incredible job security where she is now.. alum who wins and signed a contract through 2024... in a job market where job security is both fleeting and coveted, it becomes hard to pull head coaches from that.. not saying Cal shouldn't ask, but I would understand if the answer wasn't what bear fans wanted
john1953
A difference maker... Make Jennifer Azzi a great offer, to reconsider her retirement!!

She can take an underdog roster and WIN BIG GAMES, like she did at USF. I don't know much about her recruiting skills however.

Over her career, her legacy is incredible.
Schroeder71
I like CC2's three choices of Jennifer Gross, Scott Reuck or Lisa Fortier. I'm sure that many other head coaches and talented assistants (especially w/recruiting ability) are out there, too.

I read below (bio) that Jennifer Gross married her assistant, Joe Teramoto. He's now the assistant HC. They now have two children. How would Cal buy her out of her contract with 3-4 more years left?
https://ucdavisaggies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=567&path=wbball
willtalk
People need to take a realistic look at the Cal program as it stands today. The roster is as bare as it has ever been in memory. The fan support is not much to talk about. Why would any successful coach at a major program leave for the nightmare at Cal? They need to try to hire a young up and coming coach with potential who can make their bones at Cal. That is what they thought they were doing when they hired Gottlieb. They just made bad choice taking someone off the Boyle coaching tree. Hire a younger coach and give them a short conditional prove it contract. And for goodness sake don't give them a huge extension after a good season.
WhatABonanza
I disagree on going after Jennifer Azzi.

Her winning percentage was less than 40%. And her highest finish in the WCAC was 6th place, which got her the only NCAA bid in her six years as coach there.
stu
willtalk said:

They need to try to hire a young up and coming coach with potential who can make their bones at Cal. That is what they thought they were doing when they hired Gottlieb. They just made bad choice taking someone off the Boyle coaching tree.
If a coach who took us to the NCAA Tournament in 7 of her 8 seasons was a bad choice then I'm all in for hiring another bad choice.
puget sound cal fan
A good D-1 AD always keeps an updated short list of prospects for all contingencies so I'd be surprised if Knowlton didn't have a good idea where to look for a replacement. Personally, I wondered if something was up when her longtime top assistant departed for a WNBA post earlier. I wish Lindsay well. She's done a very good job at Cal, but I think her departure provides Knowlton with an opportunity to upgrade the Bears' recruiting and coaching horizons. The hire must be a step-up to better compete at the Power 5 level.
ncbears
I was under the impression that Gottlieb was one of the more well compensated wbb coaches - so - bare roster or not (and it's not) - certainly there are coaches who would move for the green.
I do wonder if there is an WNBA coach who wants to be a college coach -
Fyght4Cal
I think our WBB program is in a position to hire a solid, experienced coach. Berkeley is more destination than steppingstone these days. I just hope whoever is hired brings back Eliza Pierre, from our Final Four team, as an assistant.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
stu
puget sound cal fan said:

I wish Lindsay well. She's done a very good job at Cal, but I think her departure provides Knowlton with an opportunity to upgrade the Bears' recruiting and coaching horizons. The hire must be a step-up to better compete at the Power 5 level.
I wonder if that's realistic. When Mike Montgomery retired our men's team didn't exactly get a step-up.
willtalk
Fyght4Cal said:

I think our WBB program is in a position to hire a solid, experienced coach. Berkeley is more destination than steppingstone these days. I just hope whoever is hired brings back Eliza Pierre, from our Final Four team, as an assistant.
I am not saying to hire an inexperienced coach. For example, Greaves coached at St Mary's and then Gonzaga but moved to Oregon because the program showed better potential- It was in a P5 conference. Scott Rueck was a successful D3 coach at George Fox University. Winning the national title and being named coach of the year. Neither of these two coaches, in respect to the success of their programs, would if in their right mind want to coach for Cal. A successful coach at a lower level school would be much easier to come by than a successful D1 coach. Despite what some of you believe Cal in its present state is not that desireable WCBB location unless a high paying contract becomes the draw and that would be stupid on Cal's part.

Cal should focus on finding a coach from a successful mid-major or below. Forget hiring assistants because that is a crap shoot. I would also stay away from WNBA coaches because that is a different animal altogether. College coaches actually need to have a broader skill set. Michael Cooper is the perfect example. He coached both the Dream and the Sparks with whom he a championship as well as Coach of the year. He was a horrible college coach at USC.
annarborbear
I would prefer a rising young minority coach if possible. However, I might also take a look Paul Thomas at St.Mary's. He is 245-138, at SMC, has eight straight 20:win seasons, does a good job with local players, and always seems to coach above his talent level. Since he is already living here, he could afford to make a move at a more reasonable salary than some others.
juarezbear
annarborbear said:

I would prefer a rising young minority coach if possible. However, I might also take a look Paul Thomas at St.Mary's. He is 245-138, at SMC, has eight straight 20:win seasons, does a good job with local players, and always seems to coach above his talent level. Since he is already living here, he could afford to make a move at a more reasonable salary than some others.

No way we hire a male coach.
annarborbear
juarezbear said:

annarborbear said:

No way we hire a male coach.
Will all depend on who is interested and how much money you decide you want to spend.
Schroeder71
Gender should NOT be the deciding factor. There are many good coaches of both genders in women's bball.
I just thought of Sue Phillips of Archbishop Mitty. She has been tremendously successful and I love how her team plays. They perform like a military unit. Phillips exerted more discipline over her players than Gottlieb did...
The Monarchs would rotate 8-9 players and put pressure on the opponent most of the game via full court press or half-court trap. I know that she was an assistant at Cal for one year and returned to San Jose to coach high school. I don't know if she didn't like college ball, Cal or being an assistant coach. GO BEARS!
Fyght4Cal
Schroeder71 said:

Gender should NOT be the deciding factor. There are many good coaches of both genders in women's bball.
I just thought of Sue Phillips of Archbishop Mitty. She has been tremendously successful and I love how her team plays. They perform like a military unit. Phillips exerted more discipline over her players than Gottlieb did...
The Monarchs would rotate 8-9 players and put pressure on the opponent most of the game via full court press or half-court trap. I know that she was an assistant at Cal for one year and returned to San Jose to coach high school. I don't know if she didn't like college ball, Cal or being an assistant coach. GO BEARS!
*That* would be some exciting basketball. My brother coached his high school teams the same way.
juarezbear
Schroeder71 said:

I know gender SHOULDN'T be the deciding factor, but I'd be absolutely shocked if a cis male gets the job.
helltopay1
A male coach??at cal??A white, male coach??A straight, white, male coach??If Pete Newell applied, he would not be considered. cal is diverse, woke and left. These realities restrict the number of applicants.
stu
helltopay1 said:

A male coach??at cal??A white, male coach??A straight, white, male coach??If Pete Newell applied, he would not be considered. cal is diverse, woke and left. These realities restrict the number of applicants.
There's no shortage of white male coaches whose teams have beaten us, in some cases (Graves, Rueck, Walz, Auriemma) often and badly. I think we'd hire a white male coach of that stature if we could, but that's probably an insurmountable if. I suppose among available and approximately equal candidates we'd hire a female.
BearSD
stu said:

willtalk said:

They need to try to hire a young up and coming coach with potential who can make their bones at Cal. That is what they thought they were doing when they hired Gottlieb. They just made bad choice taking someone off the Boyle coaching tree.
If a coach who took us to the NCAA Tournament in 7 of her 8 seasons was a bad choice then I'm all in for hiring another bad choice.
This.

Cal women's basketball before Gottlieb was head coach: 7 NCAA tournaments in 30 years.

Cal women's basketball with Gottlieb as head coach: 7 NCAA tournaments in 8 years.
ricehntr5
Schroeder71 said:

probably some combo of the 3 (more the first and last).. if she wanted to be in the college game, she would be
wifeisafurd
stu said:

willtalk said:

I agree, though I think the program was satin to not keep up with a more competitive conference. Though that could change with one to two good recruits. I'm hoping that one criteria Knowlton uses is recruiting prowess, rather than the principal criteria expressed for hiring Fox, getting along with the guy.
Cal_79
helltopay1 said:

So you're saying that a straight, white male is not an underrepresented minority at Cal?
Fyght4Cal
Charmin Smith, LG's recently departed assistant, needs to get a call. She should be near the top of Knowlton's list.
OBear073akaSMFan
We have problems recruiting and personally fundamentals has been an issue with this staff. Is this all on Lindsay?
Fyght4Cal
OBear073akaSMFan said:

We have problems recruiting and personally fundamentals has been an issue with this staff. Is this all on Lindsay?
It's a good question.
bearchamp
The buck stops somewhere.
girlzcanplay2
Stanford would hate to lose her, but Tempie Brown would be great. She has head coaching experience
girlzcanplay2
Oops, Tempie was an Associate Head Coach, not Head Coach. She is the recruiting coordinator at Stanford with two top 10 recruiting classes the last two years. I'd hate to see her leave Stanford, but I think she'd be great for Cal!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.