Gottlieb's replacement:

9,439 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by willtalk
juarezbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal_79 said:

helltopay1 said:

A male coach??at cal??A white, male coach??A straight, white, male coach??If Pete Newell applied, he would not be considered. cal is diverse, woke and left. These realities restrict the number of applicants.

So you're saying that a straight, white male is not an underrepresented minority at Cal?

I want the best person for the job regardless of genre or race. That being said, all things being equal, I would prefer a female coach for this position. It sends a good message to girls about potential opportunities.
willtalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

stu said:

willtalk said:

They need to try to hire a young up and coming coach with potential who can make their bones at Cal. That is what they thought they were doing when they hired Gottlieb. They just made bad choice taking someone off the Boyle coaching tree.
If a coach who took us to the NCAA Tournament in 7 of her 8 seasons was a bad choice then I'm all in for hiring another bad choice.
This.

Cal women's basketball before Gottlieb was head coach: 7 NCAA tournaments in 30 years.

Cal women's basketball with Gottlieb as head coach: 7 NCAA tournaments in 8 years.
Yes she was not the right long term choice. Short term as a personality opposite of Boyle she was able to get the support of the very talented team that Boyle had lost. They responded to her enough so that they made the final four.

With the talent, she had to work with making the tournament 7 times was not that great an accomplishment. Also, your comparison of her time as coach with the past is not really fair in that respect. The NCAA did not expand to 64 invites until 1994. Add the fact that the Pac 10/12 was always until recently shorted in respect to the number of teams they sent because the league was considered weak. So until recently, it would not be surprising that fewer Cal teams would have been invited to the NCAA's the farther back you went.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.