Lindsey Gotta leave.

6,923 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calbearinamaze
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks, GATC, good point.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Ashfield63
At the Open Practice, Charmin said Cal will not play UCONN next year. She didn't know why. The fourth and final game of the series will be played in 2021 at CAL. The 2020 class will be playing in their 2nd season as Bears.
willtalk
UrsineMaximus said:

really said:

willtalk said:

By the way! I don't recognize some of the people posting on this subject as really being active posters on the Women's Basketball site.
Wow, that's a really cutting criticism there....

("By the way!" - lol) you may have noticed that the number of active posters on this site seems to have declined with the team's conference performance the last few years; and the amount of actual bball analysis and any insightful/insider info has dropped along with them.

So the board has become even more of an echo chamber than before, based mostly on the frustrated speculation of a few posters who either wish there was more hard info (recruiting/injuries/etc.) out there about the wbb team or who don't care.
I agree with you. Frankly I enjoy how silly the comment and attitude of @willtalk is.
Really! I am glad I could bring some joy into your life. The problem is that I am running out of material. I don't even get invited to participate in Roasts anymore.

I am actually enthused by the incoming recruiting class. I also give Charmin credit for finally giving Chen a chance with some extended minutes on the floor against Uconn. You can not really evaluate a player giving them just a few minutes in garbage time. By the way, Ucon is overrated and definitely not in the top ten. Even that is too high. They didn't look good against Vandy who was picked last in the SEC. They could just not finish them off. Uconn is a team with a serious lack of depth, especially at center. It really hurt them when Westbrook's appeal was rejected.
Lone Star
willtalk said:

Really! I am glad I could bring some joy into your life. The problem is that I am running out of material. I don't even get invited to participate in Roasts anymore.

I am actually enthused by the incoming recruiting class. I also give Charmin credit for finally giving Chen a chance with some extended minutes on the floor against Uconn. You can not really evaluate a player giving them just a few minutes in garbage time. By the way, Ucon is overrated and definitely not in the top ten. Even that is too high. They didn't look good against Vandy who was picked last in the SEC. They could just not finish them off. Uconn is a team with a serious lack of depth, especially at center. It really hurt them when Westbrook's appeal was rejected.
UConn has always lacked depth. It's just that the 6 or 7 players they may play happen to be the best High School players in the land that do live up to most of their expectations when they get there. They have also been fortunate to not lose any of their key players for a season to injury. It's almost like there is some "lucky charm" in Storrs.
willtalk
Lone Star said:

willtalk said:

UConn has always lacked depth. It's just that the 6 or 7 players they may play happen to be the best High School players in the land that do live up to most of their expectations when they get there. They have also been fortunate to not lose any of their key players for a season to injury. It's almost like there is some "lucky charm" in Storrs.
They have always had as much depth as most teams, probably more. The thing is that their starters were so good that there was a bit of a drop off when the second string came in. Often Geno had good players on the bench that just didn't get an opportunity to show what the were capable of.

Geno is an excellent coach, but his success is also based on the system he runs. In the past, he has always had the advantage of being able to pick and chose the players that fit that system best. The WCB landscape has changed. Players are coming into college with more developed skills due to AAU and personal trainers that every top player has. The advantage that Geno had in recruiting was based on the perspective that he excelled in developing players for the next level.

To most players today, development is no longer as important. Stevens was an example of a player who pulled the rug out from under Geno, in that she decided to go Pro instead of playing her final year. Geno wanted to develop her post skills, but she decided she was ready as-is. This was a first for Geno because he only recruited a certain type of player of which Stevens was not one. She was his first transfer. Most of the top players have spent most of their winters and summer developing their skills and are just not committed to extending that level of commitment throughout their college years. The players have changed and Geno's system was ideal for its time, but it's a new age now. He is still an excellent coach, but the advantage his system gave him with respect to drawing in recruits is gone and will never return. Players just have too many other options available to them now.

The group he has now is not as good as the players he has had in the past. Many Boneyarders ( Uconn fans) believed that they would develop into All Americans like most of the other Uconn players had in the past. The reality is just beginning to sink in. They have never been in a situation where the next group was not elite. Next year's class will be very good, but based on their standards, this is a rebuilding year. That has not happened in a long time. I believe that even for the top programs recruiting will begin to follow cycles, much like Cals next year will bring in strength where this year they are considered weak. I mean we can see what has happened t ND. They do not have the talent so they dropped like a rock.
tazmaz
I'm not a Bear fan but I am impressed at how great a job recruiting Charmin is doing. So far she looks like a huge upgrade for Cal. Gottlieb was more flash than substance. There was always a subtle lack of cohesion about her teams. She was glib in interviews and seemed like she knew what she was talking about but that fast talk always struck me as a bit quirky. Something was odd about her. I was impressed with Boyd and Gray but never her teams as a whole. Unfortunate Forbes moved on. I watched her while she was at Folsom High.
I wish Arizona was playing @ Cal this year. The Arizona Cal game last year at Cal was really intense with Cal literally stealing a win from thin air. Cal did an amazing job packing the middle defending McDonald. It was like a game of 1 on 5. I sat behind the basket. Haas is a great environment. I'll be at the Razorbacks Cal game this Sunday to watch Chelsea Dungee. Cal fans should be very hopeful about the future.
tazmaz
Actually it is all good. You got rid of Gotlieb with what seems to be an upgrade in Charmin. Your program was a grade above mediocre the whole time a talent like Anigwe was on the roster. Things were not going to get better under Gotlieb. Count your lucky stars she found greener pastures. Bears will be much more interesting to watch in the upcoming years.
calbearinamaze
R90 said:

Don't feed the troll. He enjoys seeing your anger.

Ignore and move on.
I'm new here and trying to catch up.

A similar statement is on the OT Board, as I type...............No value judgment at all.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.