Can't believe this is the same team

5,704 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schroeder71 said:

Since Naje Murray has not been confirmed to be currently enrolled at Cal, when should she be expected to be in Berkeley? Her contribution as a shooting guard next season will be crucial if the team is to have success...
Spring semester classes begin tomorrow. What type of confirmation are you expecting?
GATC
wifeisafurd said:

Recruiting in the Pac has become international (especially bigs) and now ranges all over the country, and includes some key transfers. It is as if the Pac 12 women's basketball has become the equivalent of the SEC in football. Gottlieb was a good coach that didn't react to this trend and Charmin is giving it a good start. But the name of the game in the PAC is going to be recruiting, and it may take Charmin a couple years to catch-up. I'm just amazed how well the conference has developed.

It is going to take a few years even though Charmin has gotten off to a good start. We have to remember that she inherited no sophomores, one junior (Styles) and two seniors (Brown and West) from the prior three classes. This class has four players that should be in the rotation next year but only Green may start.

Green had a really nice game yesterday. In addition to her shooting she had a lot of steals and the rebound she got over two tall players and the nice reverse layup was impressive. Sara found her shooting touch but her turnovers were painful.

Schroeder71
SFCALBear72-I'm not familiar with how one looks up the students that are enrolled for the Spring semester but the football early (mid-year) enrollees have all been confirmed, etc. There's a student enrollment list available somewhere. Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding how UC Berkeley operates. Waaay back in the day when I attended UCSB (1967-71), we were on the quarter system. Maybe you, too (1972)? GO BEARS!
annarborbear
stu said:

Will any good guards be available next season as grad transfers?

I guess we won't know until after the season. But the really good grad transfers are usually looking to move up to a better team for a chance at a championship as well as a graduate degree (e.g., Minyon Moore to Oregon). Not sure our youth movement next year will appeal to these higher level players.
WC Bear
Naje Murray is listed in the Cal student directory so you can breathe a sigh of relief. I'd also like to see Aisia Robertson come in next season as a grad transfer if there is mutual interest.
SFCALBear72
RMK94702 said:

Naje Murray is listed in the Cal student directory so you can breathe a sigh of relief. I'd also like to see Aisia Robertson come in next season as a grad transfer if there is mutual interest.
I wasn't worried.
CalFanatic
We legitimately have 3 potential starters coming in next year- including someone who averaged double digit PPG's and was a D1 starter. We have the #6 recruiting class in the country. It's going to be a completely different team.

Embrace the struggles and the journey this year.

wvitbear
Robertson is averaging 6 points a game. And she is a senior. No eligibility.

We need a star.
Schroeder71
Thank you, RMK, for the confirmation on the enrollment of Naje Murray! I'm superstitious about talking about a player when they haven't officially become part of the program.

Cal will have five newbies join a team of five returning players (four freshmen & Alaysia Styles). The team of ten will be perfectly balanced with five front court [6-2 to 6-4) and five backcourt players! I did not include G Mi'cole Cayton or the two former walk-ons that were given scholarships for this season. GO BEARS!
wvitbear
I won't count MiCole till she plays.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

I won't count MiCole till she plays.
don't count her out!

Ashfield63
SFCALBear72 said:

RMK94702 said:

I wasn't worried.
So, can she practice with the team now........
GGV
mbBear
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Utah also pulled an upset of Colorado by 15 points so now Cal is the only winless Pac 12 team in conference play. I only see the Bears having a chance for victory in the two USC & Utah games. The next best opportunities were the two Washington schools in Berkeley and Cal lost to both teams.

https://pac-12.com/sport/womens-basketball

The team is totally overmatched in league. Jaelyn Brown scored 16 of Cal's 22 points in the second half. Three other Bears had two points each. If one substracts out JB's stats, the rest of Cal's team shot 19.5% from the floor.
From three point land, JB was 4 of 7 while the remainder of the players went 0 for 13 (0%). Cal crushed on the boards for the third consecutive game. I doubt that the Bears can win if this trend continues...

This collapse is not going to help 2021 recruiting...GO BEARS!
Collapse? How many times do you need to be reminded that this is a rebuilding year in the toughest conference in the country?? We were picked to finish 11th. Only two players had any significant playing time going into this season (Brown and West).

Perhaps Coach Smith should call you for recruiting advice. lol.

This constant negativity is not what this team needs right now.

This thread was as predictable as the sun coming up. This isn't Men's hoop-the conference is the best in the country. Cal could be the 30-35th best team in the country, and the results would be the same. Your post will be ignored by those who can't wait to jump on the negative Cal bandwagon, as soon as there is any excuse....
BearBint
I've blocked Schroeder for the last few years. His play-by-play analysis can be helpful, but the scolding and negative attitude are not. There's enough negativity on the Internet in general without encountering it on the Bear Insider.
CalWSportsFan
This is a rebuilding year...just look at Notre Dame...they're 7-12. Cal is not the only team in this situation. It's not unexpected... PAC-12 is the best conference in the land. The good news is that our young players are gaining invaluable experience and playing time. It will pay dividends in the future. Charmin and her staff are making sure the players stay positive and compete. The future looks bright.
SFCALBear72
Naje Murray is here!!!

https://calbears.com/news/2020/1/22/womens-basketball-murray-joins-bears-midseason.aspx
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.