Can't believe this is the same team

5,659 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFCALBear72
Bballfan11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I attended the Arkansas game and was incredibly impressed with every Bears player as well as Coach Smith. I can't believe this is the same team I watched that day. I actually came away thinking the Bears had a legit chance to finish in the top 6 teams in the Pac 12. Bears looked that good. After the upcoming Oregon game the schedule softens up but the Bears won't be favored to win any of them until the USC game. I think they go 2-3 in the next 5 after the Ducks game. That would at least be something to build on. The wheels are pretty much off right now.
pearbear
Well USC just gave UCLA its first loss tonight. UCLA scored 2 points in the 2nd quarter.
Schroeder71
Utah also pulled an upset of Colorado by 15 points so now Cal is the only winless Pac 12 team in conference play. I only see the Bears having a chance for victory in the two USC & Utah games. The next best opportunities were the two Washington schools in Berkeley and Cal lost to both teams.

https://pac-12.com/sport/womens-basketball

The team is totally overmatched in league. Jaelyn Brown scored 16 of Cal's 22 points in the second half. Three other Bears had two points each. If one substracts out JB's stats, the rest of Cal's team shot 19.5% from the floor.
From three point land, JB was 4 of 7 while the remainder of the players went 0 for 13 (0%). Cal crushed on the boards for the third consecutive game. I doubt that the Bears can win if this trend continues...

This collapse is not going to help 2021 recruiting...GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Utah also pulled an upset of Colorado by 15 points so now Cal is the only winless Pac 12 team in conference play. I only see the Bears having a chance for victory in the two USC & Utah games. The next best opportunities were the two Washington schools in Berkeley and Cal lost to both teams.

https://pac-12.com/sport/womens-basketball

The team is totally overmatched in league. Jaelyn Brown scored 16 of Cal's 22 points in the second half. Three other Bears had two points each. If one substracts out JB's stats, the rest of Cal's team shot 19.5% from the floor.
From three point land, JB was 4 of 7 while the remainder of the players went 0 for 13 (0%). Cal crushed on the boards for the third consecutive game. I doubt that the Bears can win if this trend continues...

This collapse is not going to help 2021 recruiting...GO BEARS!
Collapse? How many times do you need to be reminded that this is a rebuilding year in the toughest conference in the country?? We were picked to finish 11th. Only two players had any significant playing time going into this season (Brown and West).

Perhaps Coach Smith should call you for recruiting advice. lol.

This constant negativity is not what this team needs right now.
R90
The Bears have a chance to win any game. Basketball is funny like that.

People tend to focus too much on the most recent game and assume that's how a team will play in every game after.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
ClayK
A generalization that may apply here:

1) Before league starts, coaches work on getting their teams ready (installing offenses, defenses, etc.)

2) Once league starts, coaches work on attacking other teams with the weapons they have developed.

So now coaches are scheming to beat Cal rather than worrying about their own issues, and as pointed out, it's a rebuilding year and there are few offensive options.

If Cal continues to get crushed, then opponents may relax a little and an upset could happen, but Cal is the least talented team in the Pac-12, and thus is an underdog every time out (much like the Warriors).
wifeisafurd
Women face an Insanely strong conference. Never seen so many good to great teams in the Pac.

With relative talent. this team would be the top potion on the men's crappy basketball side.
annarborbear
One reason that the PAC-12 is getting even tougher is that a number of the top teams have established national profiles and are now bringing in top players from throughout the country. Oregon State's two starting freshman posts came from Kansas and Texas. And their two highly-ranked recruits in next year's class are from Arkansas and Georgia, The bar has been raised even higher , and it is going to take us a number of years to catch up given from where we are starting.

In this game, it also didn't help that we had to play Chen for 35 minutes due to CJ's apparent limitations. If the PAC-12 coaches could have predicted that, they likely would have ranked us 12th instead of 11th in their preseason poll.
joe amos yaks
I'm optimistic and look for progress and improvement game to game over the course of the season. They are well coached.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

One reason that the PAC-12 is getting even tougher is that a number of the top teams have established national profiles and are now bringing in top players from throughout the country. Oregon State's two starting freshman posts came from Kansas and Texas. And their two highly-ranked recruits in next year's class are from Arkansas and Georgia, The bar has been raised even higher , and it is going to take us a number of years to catch up given from where we are starting.

In this game, it also didn't help that we had to play Chen for 35 minutes due to CJ's apparent limitations. If the PAC-12 coaches could have predicted that, they likely would have ranked us 12th instead of 11th in their preseason poll.
One of the reasons I was concerned for this season is I didn't think CJ could go as many minutes as we need her

Fortunately Chen can play a lot of minutes and is solid. Chen is best passer on team and can shoot midrange. She isn't quick but is fundamentally sound on defense. We certainly need her size

But if CJ is out with a concussion the odds to win a game without her playing are low
bearwbbfan
One if their players had 15 points all year and scored 13 points against Cal, eclipsing her previous career high of 7 against Cal last year.

Brown was the lone bright spot. As expected, McIntosh struggled a bit with Slocum, and the shooting was ice cold from deep.

Oregon State was clearly treating this as a test game, playing a walk-on in the first half, players who barely play getting big minutes, etc.
annarborbear

I was pleased that Charmin had figured out some things that Chen can do, and found a role for her in a 10 minute stint. But last night, she got 2 rebounds in 35 minutes.
Ashfield63
pearbear said:

Well USC just gave UCLA its first loss tonight. UCLA scored 2 points in the 2nd quarter.
Watched the game...was happy for USC when they pulled out a double overtime win! Noticed there were student sections for both USC and UCLA. Cal did have students attend their games as there was a student section on the bleachers behind the basket. I wonder what happened.....Also, USC has bigger and stronger players then CAL, and a grad transfer from Rutgers scoring many points including 3-pointers. CAL misses so many open shots, and 3-pointers. If their scoring woes continue, they may not win any games on the road. Fortunately, they were able to score last Sunday while hosting Stanford. I know CAL doesn't have the muscle or height to win many games in the Pac-12, but for the sake of the players, I hope they can win the upcoming Utah and Colorado games at Haas!!!! Unfortunately, the seniors are not able to carry the team like thy did in pre-season games. Chen's game has improved, and she gives the team some needed height. The Freshman Bears have game!! I continue to really like and support this team......GO BEARS.....
GGV
IssyBear
annarborbear said:

I was pleased that Charmin had figured out some things that Chen can do, and found a role for her in a 10 minute stint. But last night, she got 2 rebounds in 35 minutes.
I don't want to fault someone who is trying, but Chen has a bad habit of making one attempt (taking a shot, trying to block a shot, or trying for a rebound) and then just stands and watches if her effort fails. I noticed several times that she tried to block a shot, failed and just stood still and watched as the missed shot came within a few feet of her. She is playing for longer periods than she has in the past, and therefore may be tired or trying to conserve energy, but she needs to be relentless around the basket to take advantage of her height. This is a lot easier said than done.
GOLDEN
annarborbear said:

And Oregon has four recruits coming in from Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Kentucky
HoopDreams
I'm not saying Chen is a top player

I'm saying she is an important player for this team.

CJ is solid but can't go all game
Our other front court players are undersized

I think Chen's most important role on this team is defense and passing

Her size is needed against some matchups, and depending on who she is defending, does a solid job.

She is the best passing big, especially from the high post

The flaws in her game pointed out by others are right

But she has improved in her four years, defense and passing are important, and she can shoot free throws, score sometimes and rebound some

If CJ is out, Chen will be completely over matched vs Oregon, but she will do the best she can under overwhelming circumstances
wifeisafurd
complete clown stomp by Oregon. I can see the Pac with 2 final four teams, just not sure which 2 teams (Ducks and [pick one of OSU, Furd, or UCLA]
stu
wifeisafurd said:

complete clown stomp by Oregon.
It doesn't look like we can defend against any good team. On offense at least we're running plays and getting assists although we're turning the ball over and most of our shots aren't going in.

Hope CJ can come back soon, but either way I'm in wait-till-next-year mode.
HoopDreams
Jazzy had what could be her breakout game. active on the boards too.

Chen again shows she is a very good passer, with one beautiful pass for an easy basket (we get too few easy baskets in general)

Sara with great shooting, but horrible (again) passing ... 7 turnovers

Our lack of size and oregon's shooting meant this was no contest
GATC
stu said:

wifeisafurd said:

complete clown stomp by Oregon.
It doesn't look like we can defend against any good team. On offense at least we're running plays and getting assists although we're turning the ball over and most of our shots aren't going in.

Hope CJ can come back soon, but either way I'm in wait-till-next-year mode.

At least we shot 44% in the first half (40% from 3). We don't have much of a chance against teams with good bigs.
BearBint
Yeah, a depressing game, apart from Green's heroics. I was also irritated by Gold-Onwude and Blunk's extended talk about Oregon during third-quarter play--I mean, as opposed to discussing and analyzing what was happening on the court--but I suppose that's to be expected.
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/oregon/boxscore/27494

I do not remember the Cal women's team ever giving up more than 100 (105) points nor losing by 50! The defense is unbelievabley weak.

The offense performed decently considering Jaelyn Brown only played 21 minutes and scored 6 points. Jazzy Green continues to improve her overall game. She scores (16 points), rebounds (7) and defends to the best of her ability. I see her probably starting next season or at least playing major minutes. The other freshmen have lost confidence during the Pac 12 losing streak. Evelien Lutje Schipholt is afraid to shoot and missed a couple of layups today. She led the team in rebounding with nine. She has the ability to drive to the basket on her opponents but refuses to do so...Cailyn Crocker cannot handle the ball well when pressured and is weak defensively. Leilani McIntosh plays tremendously hard but can not shoot the rock. She is a solid PG and plays tough defense. Today she grabbed three steals, again.

Sara Anastasieska has found her three point shot again so she has to play (15 points) for offense. However, she continues to attempt cross court passes and coughed up a team high 7 turnovers. Cal turned the ball over 33% of the time today per "live stats". Sara cannot stay in front of her opponent and constantly gives up drives to the basket for lay-ups or fouls.

Alaysia Styles has a decent offensive game but is not stout on defense nor rebounding. Right now-the only player other than Jaelyn Brown with a solid overall game is Jazlyn Green.

Next weekend Cal has a shot for a conference victory (I hope) against Utah and possibly Colorado. The team needs one for mental sanity. Otherwise-they may continue to lose confidence and go winless for the remainder of the schedule. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
I can't wartch blowouts......I feel badly for the players...Does anyone know why Jaelyn only played 21 minutes?
Hopefully, she isn't injured. The Utah game is Friday at noon. All of the school kids will be there. My son works at a charter school and they were intereted in going to a game. I told him about the Haas School of Rock game for students. The entire school is going. The tickets cost $5, and they can purchase a lunch. I don't usually attend this game, but have the time free on Friday, so I am hoping to see a good game. The players need to win a game to regain their confidence. I do remember the year the Bears only won 4 Pac-12 games. I think KA was a sophomore. I think we had more talent that season. Jazzie was a big scorer in highschool She said she had an injury, and went off the radar for college recruitment. That's great she had a good game. This team is undersized, and it has to be so difficult playing the tall and strong players for Oregon State and Oregon. Road games are tough to win when playing any team in the Pac-12. Every team in the Pac-12 has improved from last season except for CAL. Charmin and staff are starting off on the right foot with the class of 2020. I feel Charmin will attract Student Athletes of a high quality. She has the attributes of becoming an excellent Head Coach for CAL. I know, only time will tell, but I am optimistic! GO BEARS!!
GGV
annarborbear
Another reminder of the new talent bar in the PAC12. Will need to find some taller guards who can handle, dish, defend and shoot. I am sure we are now looking for the next Layshia Clarendon. Although Jazlen Green can also likely be a player with some better front line talent in the mix.
stu
I think our freshie guards will look better with experience but I agree we need more. IMHO perimeter play is more important than post play and we should have at least 5 perimeter players in the rotation. Our Final Four team had Brittany, Layshia, Afure, Eliza, and Mikayla Lyles. Since then, due to recruiting failures, injuries, and premature departures, we haven't had that many. I expect our current coaches will fix this problem.
HoopDreams
jazzy is absolutely a starter next year

I think we found a talent
GATC
Ashfield63 said:

I can't wartch blowouts......I feel badly for the players...Does anyone know why Jaelyn only played 21 minutes?
Hopefully, she isn't injured. The Utah game is Friday at noon. All of the school kids will be there. My son works at a charter school and they were intereted in going to a game. I told him about the Haas School of Rock game for students. The entire school is going. The tickets cost $5, and they can purchase a lunch. I don't usually attend this game, but have the time free on Friday, so I am hoping to see a good game. The players need to win a game to regain their confidence. I do remember the year the Bears only won 4 Pac-12 games. I think KA was a sophomore. I think we had more talent that season. Jazzie was a big scorer in highschool She said she had an injury, and went off the radar for college recruitment. That's great she had a good game. This team is undersized, and it has to be so difficult playing the tall and strong players for Oregon State and Oregon. Road games are tough to win when playing any team in the Pac-12. Every team in the Pac-12 has improved from last season except for CAL. Charmin and staff are starting off on the right foot with the class of 2020. I feel Charmin will attract Student Athletes of a high quality. She has the attributes of becoming an excellent Head Coach for CAL. I know, only time will tell, but I am optimistic! GO BEARS!!

I think we were 4-14 when Anigwe, Thomas, Mosley, Chen were freshmen, Cowling, Gabby Green and Davidson were sophomores, Range and Waters were juniors and the conference wasn't as strong. Seems like experience matters.
Ashfield63
I looked it up after I made the post, yes Kristine Anigwe was a freshman......CAL still wasn't able to be really good her Junior and Senior seasons. I must say KA improved immensely from her Junior to Senior year. She worked hard all summer to improve. Even with her playing at a high level CAL was not able to compete in the upper half of the Pac-12. I also have thought we need taller and stronger guards. Hopefully, a couple of guards will develop into accurate shooters, and Jazzie could be one of them. The Bears came from behind and beat Arizona State and Arizona at home last season because the guards were scoring. Asha Thomas won the Stanford game at Haas with a Buzzer Beater layup.
GGV
annarborbear
Ordinarily, these huge losses would be a problem for recruiting. And they certainly can't be painted as a positive. But our three five-star posts coming in next year are now basically going to be co-recruiting coordinators. They all look very competitive, especially Daniels, and you know that they going to be going all out to help bring in additional talent to the team.
wvitbear
The question is where is that help coming from? I look at big high school recruits and they re basically gone. So that would mean overseas or transfers. Since we have stated we are not going overseas as much then could it be transfers. We can't contact a person at another school if they have not entered the transfer portal.

There is a guard from Minnesota who just left her team and she sounds like a good player but she has been suspended several times and I would be wary of her.

So where do they come from? Might get lucky with a player that has been injured. Like Green. But e have had players who were injured who never recovered also.

I hope we get a guard or wing who can score. And who knows, maybe the Euro can be that person.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

The question is where is that help coming from? I look at big high school recruits and they re basically gone. So that would mean overseas or transfers. Since we have stated we are not going overseas as much then could it be transfers. We can't contact a person at another school if they have not entered the transfer portal.

There is a guard from Minnesota who just left her team and she sounds like a good player but she has been suspended several times and I would be wary of her.

So where do they come from? Might get lucky with a player that has been injured. Like Green. But e have had players who were injured who never recovered also.

I hope we get a guard or wing who can score. And who knows, maybe the Euro can be that person.
I was referring to once they arrive for next year and beyond. Agree that the good players for this coming year are already committed.
ClayK
It's going to be a fairly long road, considering the recruiting success of other teams in the league. Now if Cal was in the Big 10, optimism would be easier to come by.

Credit to Charmin so far, of course, but now the key is to keep morale up, and improvement occurring, through what looks like a death march of a conference season.
wifeisafurd
Recruiting in the Pac has become international (especially bigs) and now ranges all over the country, and includes some key transfers. It is as if the Pac 12 women's basketball has become the equivalent of the SEC in football. Gottlieb was a good coach that didn't react to this trend and Charmin is giving it a good start. But the name of the game in the PAC is going to be recruiting, and it may take Charmin a couple years to catch-up. I'm just amazed how well the conference has developed.
stu
Will any good guards be available next season as grad transfers?
Schroeder71
Since Naje Murray has not been confirmed to be currently enrolled at Cal, when should she be expected to be in Berkeley? Her contribution as a shooting guard next season will be crucial if the team is to have success...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.