Cayton - Senior Day

9,040 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see that Cayton is on the list of Bears for whom today is their final home game. I wonder if she will be on the court for the opening tip before taking a seat.
Much luck to her and all the Seniors today and in future
SFCALBear72
Does this mean that she won't try to return to the court next season? Hmmm
I'm going to the game, so I guess we'll find out then.

HoopDreams
Sounds like it
HoopDreams
Confirmed on Twitter it's her last "home game"

Hope they start the five seniors
wvitbear
I have seen senior day for seniors who came back the next year. I thought maybe she didn't know if she would be back and wanted to celebrate this day in case she didn't.
ncbears
wvitbear said:

I have seen senior day for seniors who came back the next year. I thought maybe she didn't know if she would be back and wanted to celebrate this day in case she didn't.
I had to fight to get a fourth year at Cal as I had enough credits to graduate after three. I guess the AD counsels players on how to not graduate in four once a blue shirt year is taken. But if Cayton is graduating, she would need to be in a grad program. I don't know how Grigsby managed his six years.
CalWSportsFan
Clayton just shared Instagram message on Twitter saying she's entering transfer portal as a grad transfer and hopes to
have 3 years of eligibility. Best of luck to her!
stu
CalWSportsFan said:

Clayton just shared Instagram message on Twitter saying she's entering transfer portal as a grad transfer and hopes to
+1

I love Mi'Cole as a player and as a person. Wish her the best!
Ashfield63
I really cannot imagine going through 3 surgeries. She always has a smile and stays positive about playing again. She is a quality and endearing young woman. I trust she will find a school where she can be on the team and further her education.
GGV
ncbears
CalWSportsFan said:

I read it as she is looking for a place for the next 3 years not three years of eligibility.
She wrote: "...where I can compete on the court and in the classroom for the next 3 years" Which sounds like law school.
HoopDreams
congrats on graduating from Cal

hope she can find somewhere she can be successful on the court too

one of my fav players, and a key part of the team

annarborbear
ncbears said:

CalWSportsFan said:

I read it as she is looking for a place for the next 3 years not three years of eligibility.
She wrote: "...where I can compete on the court and in the classroom for the next 3 years" Which sounds like law school.
Courtney Ekmark grad transferred from UConn to ASU and played her final two years as a student in the ASU Law School. So it can be done in the right circumstance.
pearbear
annarborbear said:

ncbears said:

CalWSportsFan said:

Courtney Ekmark grad transferred from UConn to ASU and played her final two years as a student in the ASU Law School. So it can be done in the right circumstance.

God, could you imagine a fully healed Cayton in that ASU defense? Scary.
annarborbear
pearbear said:

annarborbear said:

ncbears said:

CalWSportsFan said:

I think I will try not to think about that one.

But Cayton's undergraduate major has been legal studies, and if she can get both an undergrad degree and a law degree out of her injury-plagued career, that will be a nice reward,
Ashfield63
Would a program offer her a scholarship after 3 surgeries, and she hasn't played since her freshman year. It seems like quite a risk. I'm asking because I really don't know much about the transfer Portal. Also, law school is very demanding and time consuming, I can't imagine doing both for three years. It will be interesting to see if she is offered a scholarship to play basketball. I certainly wish the best for MiCole. Was she a five star recruit?
GGV
IssyBear
annarborbear said:

pearbear said:

annarborbear said:

ncbears said:

CalWSportsFan said:

I think I will try not to think about that one.

But Cayton's undergraduate major has been legal studies, and if she can get both an undergrad degree and a law degree out of her injury-plagued career, that will be a nice reward,
If she is going for a law degree, I hope she gets a BB scholarship. Law schools are expensive.
willtalk
Hometown UOP has a Law School?????
Ashfield63
willtalk said:

Hometown UOP has a Law School?????
I was thinking the same thing....Also, LMU and the University of San Francisco have Law Schools.
GGV
annarborbear
The strange thing about UOP's Law School, McGeorge, is that it is actually located in Sacramento, I think after a merger into UOP. So playing games in Stockton while going to school in Sacramento with that kind of challenging curriculum likely would not work.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

The strange thing about UOP's Law School, McGeorge, is that it is actually located in Sacramento, I think after a merger into UOP. So playing games in Stockton while going to school in Sacramento with that kind of challenging curriculum likely would not work.
Same situation with LMU. Loyola Law School is in downtown Los Angeles and the main LMU campus is over near LAX.
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/B9iTY-Mn8M0
IssyBear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

Same situation with LMU. Loyola Law School is in downtown Los Angeles and the main LMU campus is over near LAX.
Well, the Berkeley Law School is right on campus. Anyone know how to pull some stings?
annarborbear
I think that Ekmark was allowed to take a reduced schedule for those first two years of law school at ASU. So it will have to be a school that can cooperate with that kind of approach.

And thanks HoopDreams for posting that video. I had forgotten how much energy and talent Cayton brings to the court. Hope that she can play effectively somewhere for two more years.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

I think that Ekmark was allowed to take a reduced schedule for those first two years of law school at ASU. So it will have to be a school that can cooperate with that kind of approach.

And thanks HoopDreams for posting that video. I had forgotten how much energy and talent Cayton brings to the court. Hope that she can play effectively somewhere for two more years.
I think she was the fastest and quickest player ever to wear a Cal uniform
wvitbear
Don't think she was faster than Britanny Boyd. Or Pierre for that matter.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

Don't think she was faster than Britanny Boyd. Or Pierre for that matter.
not sure, but I think she was

also, as good a defender as we've had at guard, although again comparing her to Pierre, not sure
annarborbear
Cayton was especially valuable because she could both play defense and then shoot quite well on the offensive end. I think that no one wanted to be guarded by either Pierre or Cayton, and opposing players actually looked afraid of Brittany Boyd.
BearBint
annarborbear said:

I think that no one wanted to be guarded by either Pierre or Cayton, and opposing players actually looked afraid of Brittany Boyd.
Ah, happy memories. As I remember, many defenders were also terrified of Devanei Hampton (the male practice players certainly were).
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
WC Bear
BearBint said:

annarborbear said:

I think that no one wanted to be guarded by either Pierre or Cayton, and opposing players actually looked afraid of Brittany Boyd.
Ah, happy memories. As I remember, many defenders were also terrified of Devanei Hampton (the male practice players certainly were).
LOL. Even Gottlieb once confessed that she was initially afraid of Devanei.
wvitbear
Devanei was stronger but Ashley was quicker and a better defender. Dev , after two knee operations was defintely not as quick as she was in high school. Talia and Brandon were pretty good defenders.
BearBint
WC Bear said:

BearBint said:

annarborbear said:

LOL. Even Gottlieb once confessed that she was initially afraid of Devanei.
It's true Devanei has a certain leonine quality about her.

A neighbor was Devanei's Cal advisor at one point; he asked me, since we were Cal WBB people, if we had heard of her, to which I said, "OF COURSE WE'VE HEARD OF HER, YOU SILLY BUGGER!"

The silly bugger, all 6' 5" of him, responded something like, "She's such a smart, motivated student, and so courteous. But, my god, she is a big girl! The two of us take up my whole office when she visits."

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
Ashley is still one of the best all-around players Cal's produced. For someone who's probably not quite 6' in her stocking feet, she played very tall, and still does in her overseas teams.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Cayton was especially valuable because she could both play defense and then shoot quite well on the offensive end. I think that no one wanted to be guarded by either Pierre or Cayton, and opposing players actually looked afraid of Brittany Boyd.

best 3 guard defenders were Cayton, Boyd and Pierre (in no particular order)
We've been missing those types of defenders, although Lei has quick hands and is always active

All the above players were high energy, active, all-hustle players

wvitbear
Cayton was not a great shooting guard. Shot 27% from three point her only year. Boyd was considered the best defender in the nation by many. We had a hell of a defensive team with Boyd, Pierre, and Clarenton. Clarenton was pretty good too.

We transcended to being an offensive team over time but lost our defensive edge. That final four team was not an offensive but sure could play defense.

Gray-Lawson was not a bad defensive player too.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

Cayton was not a great shooting guard. Shot 27% from three point her only year. Boyd was considered the best defender in the nation by many. We had a hell of a defensive team with Boyd, Pierre, and Clarenton. Clarenton was pretty good too.

We transcended to being an offensive team over time but lost our defensive edge. That final four team was not an offensive but sure could play defense.

Gray-Lawson was not a bad defensive player too.
cayton was not a 3 point shooter her freshmen year, but in the first (only?) game of her soph year, she looked confident with her 3 ball, it looked good, and she hit them. I thought to myself, "Cayton with a 3 point shot ... yeah!"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.