CSM: Softball enters the top 25

2,921 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21401

Cal at #24. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Receiving Votes in the USA Today/ESPN Poll!

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/NCAA-College-Corner/Top-25-Polls/Week-3
Shocky1
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/0
CalFanatic
Shocky1 said:

Love it!
eastcoastcal
Shocky1 said:

BOOM! This is how our teams should be run

big weekend coming up
Schroeder71
Cal needs to get back Sona Halajian (P/DH) & Tatum Anzaldo (IF/OF) this weekend if possible because the following weekend UCLA trips to Berkeley to open the Pac Nine season.

Ashanti McDade (frosh P) and soph IF Kaylee Pond (Iowa St transfer) are out for the season?
D'Auna Johnson (frosh IF) just returned from injury and has had two ABs.

What happened to these four junior veteran players?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DH/1B Alexis Bishop hit .271 BA%/ .403 OB% w/ 5 HRs & 23 RBIs last season and was a regular. Is she injured? I cannot believe that Kondo beat her out for pinch hitter duties...
OF Aleia Agbayani (2 HRs) plus regular PH duties (also hit grand slam)
1B Candace Yingling (1 grand slam HR))
3B Nicole Hammoude
CalFanatic
I imagine Bishop is redshirting. She was injured during fall ball. It appears Agbayani was injured (or not dressed) that first week. You could see on the tv her and Ashanti were in street clothes.

I'll be at Stanford this weekend. So interested to see more.
Schroeder71
Cal owes some payback for that three game series at Miami of Ohio last season. The series ended 0-2-1 with all the games extremely close. Let's go, Bears!
Ccajon2
Schroeder71 said:

Cal owes some payback for that three game series at Miami of Ohio last season. The series ended 0-2-1 with all the games extremely close. Let's go, Bears!

The Good news? TATUM ANZALDO IS BACK! The bad? Cal lost again to Miami(oh), 4-2 .They MUST have our #. Did their starter, Brianna Pratt beat us last year? Yup, in a game where they scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 7th, no less.
Schroeder71
Sona Halajian pinch hit, too. GO BEARS!
Larno
CalFanatic said:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21401

Cal at #24. GO BEARS!
That top 25 shows how much college softball has changed. From the beginning the western schools especially from California and Arizona dominated the college world series. It wasn't all that long ago that no team east of the Mississippi River had ever won a championship. California produces the most top players in the country and they usually stayed home in the past. Then, in typical SEC fashion, they decided to throw a bunch of money at it and built fancy new stadiums and raided California for talent. Other schools did the same, at the expense particularly of the Pac 12. Case in point: Oklahoma has the top rated team, and has won the most recent championships. Of their current roster of 20 players, 12 are from California or other western states, 7 are from other states, primarily Texas, and only 1 is from Oklahoma. Maybe when/if Cal actually gets a new softball complex they can keep some of these California players home.
CalFanatic
I was hospitalized Thursday (i'm fine now, I promise!) so am now missing the Stanford games. Just now catching up on yesterday's results... so happy to see some familiar faces back in the lineup. It looks like Anna was stellar in relief, too. Miami has a dangerous lineup with 1-9 home run power.

Feeling hopeful that i'll be at Levine-Fricke tomorrow!
59bear
CalFanatic said:

I was hospitalized Thursday (i'm fine now, I promise!) so am now missing the Stanford games. Just now catching up on yesterday's results... so happy to see some familiar faces back in the lineup. It looks like Anna was stellar in relief, too. Miami has a dangerous lineup with 1-9 home run power.

Feeling hopeful that i'll be at Levine-Fricke tomorrow!
Unfortunately, it appears Archer's control issues have resurfaced. Hopefully it will be temporary.
Schroeder71
It appears that the softball team is flat for this weekend and is getting beat easily by Miami of Ohio & Villanova.
Villanova run ruled Miami 10-1 last night and have jumped out in the 1st inning for a 4-0 lead over Cal this morning. Three hits, a walk & and a grand slam off of Teperson. Yesterday, Haylei Archer had nothing and today Teperson is KO'd out of the game after two-thirds of an inning. Archer hopes to redeem herself in relief.

CAL 1, VU 4 - T2nd (statbroadcast.com)

Bears began an offensive rally in the T2nd but Mika Lee got thrown out at third on a single by D'Asha Saiki to kill the inning. Cal is at least on the scoreboard.

Stanford no-hit Villanova last night (3-0) with their pitcher striking out 18 of 21 outs. Wow!
CalFanatic
I mean... there's still 6 innings left to play. Cal is not getting beat easily. You don't end the game as soon as someone takes a lead, S71 =)

Miami Ohio has a fantastic #1 in Pratt. Things get shaky when they throw other players. Let's see if Pratt gets the start again later today.
Schroeder71
I noticed that Tianna Bell is out of the lineup today. It also appears that Makena Smith is slumping! Bears need to get their game together this weekend before UCLA visits next weekend. I hope that Sona Halajian throws today or tomorrow. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Bears bounced 6-2 by Nova. Mika Lee & D'Asha Saiki had two hits each out of Cal's 5 hit output. Two consecutive losses suffered (4-2 & 6-2) when the Cal offense was basically a no show. Before this weekend, Cal had been producing approximately seven runs per game.
Schroeder71
Another grandslam off of a Cal pitcher! Miami of Ohio owns Cal. This will be the 5th consecutive game in a row without a loss. They lead 6-2 in the 4th inning. This grandslam was off of Anna Reimers. This series at Stanford is turning into a nightmare.
Ccajon2
It's brutal following Cal Softball. Seems like the opposing coaches watched lots of tape and made adjustments. If we can beat UCLA once I'll take it.
Schroeder71
Cal bats awaken in the B4th! Bears erupt for five extra base hits (3 doubles & 2 HRs) and take a 7-6 lead. It appears that I was premature in giving up on our team in this game. Hopefully, Cal's pitching can hold down Miami. Let's go Sona Halajian!

First hitter for Miami homers off of Halajian to tie it at 7-7. Sona has really given up extra-base hits this season.
Murphy hits her 2nd consecutive home run off of Halajian. This one was a three-run dinger for a 10-7 lead in the top of the 6th w/ one out.
Gkhoury2325
Nice comeback win for Cal Softball in extras. 12-11 win. Let's go Cal!
CalFanatic
Villanova loss stings but a walkoff against a no doubt NCAA tourney team, I'll take it! Way to rebound.
CalFanatic
Mika Lee rarely played last year and look at the season she is having. 6 hits today!
Schroeder71
Great comeback by Cal to win this game vs Miami of Ohio, 12-11. Pitching and defense (4 errors) weak but offense with 17 hits and 10 earned runs did the job.

I was watching #2 Archbishop Mitty girls bball defeat #4 Clovis West, 63-43, to advance to NorCal championship game. Defenses shut down high scoring offenses with full court presses the entire game. Clovis West finishes 30-2. The Monarchs are now 27-2.
LodeBear
Schroeder71 said:

Great comeback by Cal to win this game vs Miami of Ohio, 12-11. Pitching and defense (4 errors) weak but offense with 17 hits and 10 earned runs did the job.

I was watching #2 Archbishop Mitty girls bball defeat #4 Clovis West, 63-43, to advance to NorCal championship game. Defenses shut down high scoring offenses with full court presses the entire game. Clovis West finishes 30-2. The Monarchs are now 27-2.
the team i coach plays great defense and kept the high scoring valley christian team from beating us. we are on to the norcal finals. it was sweet to avenge our defeat to them in the sac san joaquin finals. we don't score as many points as the high scoring teams but great defense does usually beat teams.
Schroeder71
Great kick-off for the home opener with the Bear bats "on fire". Cal has five runs on six hits after two innings and has jumped out to a nice lead. Three consecutive homeruns hit in the B1st by Elon Butler, Sona Halajian and Makena Smith to set the tone.
CalFanatic
I lost track of home many bombs we hit but it was..enough for me to lose track. 5 I think? Great response.

16-4
Schroeder71
Chelsea Spencer has the knack for inserting players into a game at the perfect time. She pinch hit D'Auna Johnson in the the bottom of the 5th for D'Asha Saiki with the score 7-0. The freshman from Sheldon HS in Sacto was batting .000 BA% (0-2) on the season. She had been out with an injury and recently returned to active duty. DJ hits a walk-off HR to CF to trigger the "mercy rule" (8-0)! Cal wins! How's that for making a newbie feel an official part of the team?
D'Auna Johnson - Softball - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.