Cal vs Loyola Marymount softball.

1,577 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ccajon2
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Though only 4-8 in conference, Cal is 23-2 OOC. Need to sweep this 15-16 team and have most overall wins in conference.
Schroeder71
Loyola Marymount has played multiple Pac 12 teams and has only defeated Oregon once. Overall, they are being outscored by 0.2 runs per game on the season. Their hitting has been a weak spot (see below). They have been shutout 9 times in their 16 losses. LMU has averaged 3.89 runs per game while their pitching staff has yielded 4.09 runs. Their defense averages one error per game. Their 3B, Hayley Olivas, has committed 8 errors.

2024 Loyola Marymount University Softball (PDF) - Loyola Marymount University Athletics (lmulions.com)

Loyola has five solid hitters. Their second and third best hitters, Mika Chong (CCS) & Avery Francis (NCS), are from the Bay Area. The fifth ranked batter by BA%, Lauryn Carter, is a grad transfer from UCLA. She is their leading base stealer.

LMU has two good pitchers in UNLV senior transfer, RHP Jenna Perez (2.75 ERA), and junior southpaw Savannah Hooks (2.42 ERA).

2024 Softball Roster - Loyola Marymount University Athletics (lmulions.com)

If Cal can receive strong pitching and play solid infield defense, they should take two out of three, and hopefully, sweep the series to reach the 30-victory mark. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Jenna Perez is former Bear Alex Perez's little sister. Cal went through their sac bunt routine and watched Elon Butler strikeout on rise balls. It is not much fun watching the Bear's offense. Zero balls out of the infield.

Jenna is breezing through Cal's batting order, striking two in the B2nd. Kylie Todd got a single to RF.
Schroeder71
Cal completely flat for Loyola. In the top of the 3rd, a HBP, a walk & an error of 2B Elon Buter by the three batters at the bottom of their order. It was a potential double play ball. Now the top of their order comes up. Fantastic diving catch by RF Kyndal Todd saves a run. Wake up, Cal !

In the B3rd, Mike Lee & Acacia Anders strike out. AA took three strikes like she was doing recently without swinging her bat. Tatum Anzaldo singles to RF. Elon Butler fans again on three pitches. Jenna Perez has six Ks through three innings.

I predict that Cal will lose this game. They are as lackadaisical as I have ever seen 'em. This is remeniscent of Wednesday's extra inninng affair. Haylei Archer walked the leadoff hitter in the fourth on four straight pitches. She has seemingly lost her control. She hits Braun to put two on with one out. Bases are loaded on an infield hit to SS. Archer strikes out Pero, the freshman catcher, to end the inning. Both pitchers have six punchouts.

B4th, walk and a bunt single by Quiroga put two on with no outs. But "bunt city" forces Pond to bunt and pop it up for one out and Todd strikes out for the 2nd out. Carly Raven pinch hits and walks. Mika Lee comes up with bags juiced. Appropriately, Cal scores the first run of the game on a wild pitch. Then, Jenna Perez punches out Mika Lee for her 8th K in 4IP.

Top 5th, #9 hitter strikes out but reaches 1st base on a passed ball on the catcher. Then she gets thrown out stealing. This perhaps the weirdest game of the season. Next-a strike out and a subsequent walk. Then a single to RF by Mika Chong and another 4 pitch walk to load the bases, again. PH lines out to RF.

B5th, two Cal doubles by Tatum Anzaldo and Tianna Bell plate the Bear's second run. 1st Cal RBI registered on the day. Cal 2, LMU 0.

Cal adds four runs off of relief pitcher, Samperio (6.35 ERA), in the bottom of the 6th to make it 6-0. Mostly infield hits.
CalFanatic
I've seen J Perez pitch multiple times and have always been impressed. Alex was rated higher as a prep. Let's just say I was confused by that.

Time to get the sweep!
CalFanatic
Now that is a BOMB.

Shocky1
makes no sense that orange (.179) & alley (.176) are starting in front of herrera (.340) who dnp in the double header
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2321441
WhatABonanza
LMU's RPI is 53. These are nice out of conference wins.
CalFanatic
LMU is a good program. They will easily win their conference and be a tournament team. Great job, Bears.
CalFanatic
Shocky1 said:

makes no sense that orange (.179) & alley (.176) are starting in front of herrera (.340) who dnp in the double header

I agree with you, Shocky. I'm a massive Coach Spencer cheerleader. This is no secret. However, there have been some head scratching decisions as of late.
SFCALBear72
Sidebar:

WBB player, Michelle Onyiah, threw out the first pitch before Game 1.
WhatABonanza
I think it's important to get different players at bats when you can. For all sorts of reasons -- keeping them ready in case of injury, team esprit, etc. 15 games left -- only 3 are against non-pac opponents. Can't let players wither on the vine. I like that more women got to play -- and we still got two wins yesterday.
Shocky1
yard#
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2321573
Schroeder71
Cal is facing O'Dell (6.34 ERA) so I hope the Bears square some balls up today (like Quiroga did in the B1st).

Haylei Archer KO'd in the T3rd after three bullets off of the RF fence. She is fortunate that it's only 1-0 deficit because RF Todd threw out a Lion's baserunner attempting to stretch her hit into a double.
CalFanatic
Our offense simply hasn't looked good these last five games. So many missed opportunities. Game 3 against Utah…anemic against St. Mary's… and our only real offensive push was against LMU's worse pitcher.

We need to make a big run in these last 3 innings. Down 4-1.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

more crazy **** with raven (.167) getting the start & later pinch hit for by orange, alyssa (now batting .354, 4th best on the team) finally makes her only appearance of the weekend & promptly bangs out a single to left field & does the happy dance again on 1st base

yeah alyssa herrera is shocky's favorite softball player but that's kinda besides the point, this kinda reminds me of when damien moore (who got zero recriotomg interest rite now in the portal after fresno state) wuz starting in front of jaydn ott

team participation trophies>>>>>>>>>>>>losing softball games (which is a function of not playing the best players)

CalFanatic
I am the biggest Cal softball cheerleader. However, we are getting WORSE as the season continues. I am so thoroughly unimpressed with our pitching, lack of situational hitting. We don't deserve a top 16 seed.
Schroeder71
I agree. The pitching and hitting are both slumping at a time that we need excellence. UCLA is not unbeatable this season but I'm afraid that next weekend will not be fun to observe in Westwood. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Let's finally win a PAC series. No excuses.
59bear
CalFanatic said:

I am the biggest Cal softball cheerleader. However, we are getting WORSE as the season continues. I am so thoroughly unimpressed with our pitching, lack of situational hitting. We don't deserve a top 16 seed.
Is there anything quite as hurtful as unrealized expectations? I always thought you were a bit overly optimistic about the impact Roelling could have on our pitching, without which a top 16 ranking was always going to be a reach. Since I switched TV packages, I've not seen our team in action and have to rely on box scores but it seems to me we've seen improvement overall if not the quantum leap many have hoped for.
Ccajon2
RR is in the top 5-6 in every category. 11-5 3.22 ERA. Only thing I don't like in her stats: 55 walks in 100 IP. 24 appearances in 40 games. 3 saves. Canady has 3 more wins. But I agree with you. 4-8 is unacceptable were practically in last place!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.