Cal at LSU Softball Regional

16,014 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by CalWSportsFan
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roelling to Georgia. Makes a ton of sense when you think about it. She already has the connection with Freeman...and she beat them this season!

Excited to see who we pick up in the portal. A golden opportunity for a pitcher to come in and be supported by offense that could push 100 homers.
Schroeder71
Does anyone know the reasons why RR decided to split her home state of CA for the Deep South? What happened on the softball team that alienated her?
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Does anyone know the reasons why RR decided to split her home state of CA for the Deep South? What happened on the softball team that alienated her?
People enter the portal for a variety of reasons. Why do you assume there was something that alienated her? Could it be that she had a connection with Freeman? Could it be that she wanted to play in the SEC after the Pac was gutted?

Washington's had 9 players enter the portal. I'm sure they all have a different story and reasoning for doing so.
Schroeder71
Good point, CF. I just didn't see it coming so it pokes me from time to time. It doesn't really matter now, does it?
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Schroeder71 said:

People enter the portal for a variety of reasons. Why do you assume there was something that alienated her? Could it be that she had a connection with Freeman? Could it be that she wanted to play in the SEC after the Pac was gutted?

Washington's had 9 players enter the portal. I'm sure they all have a different story and reasoning for doing so.
I can tell you without a doubt it was not Freeman. There were other reasons I wont go in here.
CalFanatic
I wish Randi all of the best. It looks like all of her old teammates did too on her announcement.

I thought Kylee Magee was someone we might pick up in the portal. She's just committed to Nebraska.
Shocky1
elon: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2343255
CalFanatic
Canady in the portal and likely off to the highest payer.

College sports frankly stinks now.
CalWSportsFan
I couldn't agree more.
BearinOC
What do we have in NIL money? I will pay "bookoo dolla" I meant "too bookoo" kinda money.
CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Former Cal commit (before Coach Spencer) and Alhambra Bulldog Isabela Emerling is in the portal.

She hit 14 homeruns for UNC this year. A potential target?

https://goheels.com/sports/softball/roster/isabela-emerling/24495
Emerling to Oklahoma (vomit)
Schroeder71
I was hoping that Emerling might come home to Cal. Any news regarding transfer pitchers possible coming to Berkeley? If the Bears don't bolster their starting pitching, it may be a looooong season. Is Chelsea Spencer attempting to get a transfer or two from the portal? Do you know if some players have visited?
BearinOC
Former CAL commits Alo and Emerling to OKlahoma. We need NIL money and commitment from the admin to either compete on the national stage or drop sports.
SFCALBear72
BearinOC said:

Former CAL commits Alo and Emerling to OKlahoma. We need NIL money and commitment from the admin to either compete on the national stage or drop sports.
Donate your NIL money here. Specify Softball.

California Legends Collective Connecting College Athletes with Fans and Brands. (calegends.com)
Jackisback
"Any news regarding transfer pitchers possible coming to Berkeley? If the Bears don't bolster their starting pitching, it may be a looooong season."

I find it humorous to read comments that indicate a complete lack of awareness. We have some very talented returning pitchers who showed good growth over the past year. While I regret the loss of Randi and the graduation of Haylei, they were not the only effective pitchers on staff. I am actually encouraged by the lack of news on the transfer front as it indicates a degree of confidence by the coaching staff about who they have and who they have coming in. Coach Spencer knows better than any of the rest of us.

S71's pervasive negativity is his own responsibility.
Schroeder71
jackisback-I have no clue who you are but Randi Roelling was supposed to be the next star pitcher at Cal. She did not dominate and yielded 18 HRs. Miranda De Nava is supposed to be the next one. Bears have four returning pitchers that did not throw many innings last season. None threw more than 37 IP.

2024 California Softball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

The only one that might be able to be a starter is Anna Reimers. She had shoulder problems early in the season and her activity was stopped. She yielded a homerun every 4.5 innings or so. Ryann Orange showed potential at the end of the season throwing 2-3 inning stints. Ashanti McDade also looked solid at times but wasn't used often.
Annabel Teperson was a disappointment. She registered a 3.55 ERA and opposing teams hit .302 BA% against her.

I'm glad that you find humor is my complete lack of awareness about Cal softball. I have followed every game for the last 28 years and the Bears have had several pitchers that were superior to anything that the team currently has on their roster. GO BEARS!

BearinOC
I find the over-optimum to be comical.

I won't say which post or whom, but it is pretty clear the poster hasnt been watching the same games I've been watching.
CalFanatic

I imagine we got a portal transfer based on the tweet.
Jackisback
Oh my god the sky is falling...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought this was one of the more enjoyable seasons in the last decade or more. Yet we managed that without having a single 'great' pitcher. Especially if you consider 'in conference' stats, our pitchers were decidedly mediocre. Randi showed a lot of promise, and had some games that were outstanding, but she never consistently dominated the top competition and her 4.28 in-conference ERA was a disappointment. Might she have developed into a star pitcher for us? Perhaps, but she wasn't happy here and she left so we will never know. Haylei had the physical skills, but she was hampered by often severe control issues. Her walks and HBP stats have never been pretty, and the 4.29 in-conference ERA was largely unchanged from the 4.25 ERA she posted in 2023. She was probably our best pitcher the last couple of months of the season, but no one would describe her as a world beater. So to recap, an exciting season in spite of the fact that our two best pitchers were only just ok.

From what I saw, the two best prospects on the returning staff are Orange and McDade. Neither was ready for prime time this year, which is obvious considering their respective innings pitched, but both showed flashes of quality. I have a great deal of confidence in Coach Spencer's ability to field a top team and to know what she needs to be successful. I also have faith in our pitching coach, Danielle O'Toole-Trejo, and her ability to get the most out of the pitchers we have. I expect both Orange and McDade to be significantly better next season as long as they are healthy.

If the coaches choose to pick up a transfer pitcher, great, but that doesn't mean it is going to "be a looooong season" if they don't. We have some high quality athletes already on the team, and new recruits coming in who should provide the tools for another successful season. Unless of course your definition of success is winning the national championship and anything else is an abject failure. Every year since Coach Spencer was hired has been better than the year before. I expect that will continue, and I have the patience to see her build a program where getting to (and winning) the Woman's College World Series becomes a rational expectation. We are not there yet, but I am confident we will be. In the mean time, I will do my best to ignore the 'Chicken Little's' of life.
CalFanatic
Harmony Andrade, a former Oregon State commit and according to her Twitter, 5A POY of the year from Arizona has committed to Cal.

https://www.maxpreps.com/az/surprise/willow-canyon-wildcats/athletes/harmony-andrade/softball/stats/?careerid=dk7bdaaotpdrb
CalFanatic
Big Tatum vibes with that swing.

Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C8qitfvtVFf
KAAABBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!

welcome 2024 3.2 gpa cal commit 3rd baseman harmony andrade from willow canyon high school in surprise arizona

fun fact: harmony is a certified lash technician (taylor & shocky's beauty regime includes latisse)

https://instagr.am/p/CyXKmnqrn_X
the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including lake pleasant)

https://instagr.am/p/C8puAzlx8OU
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/0
Schroeder71
Harmony Andrade has played 3rd base so she can hopefully fill the void of Tatum Anzaldo's graduation. Sounds as if she is a promising prospect! GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Harmony Andrade has played 3rd base so she can hopefully fill the void of Tatum Anzaldo's graduation. Sounds as if she is a promising prospect! GO BEARS!

And only committed 10 errors in her HS career.

Adding in the defense of her and Phillips should make a difference in the infield. By all accounts, our OF signee from Pacifica is a superior defender as well.
Schroeder71
Kayli Counts should be a great defensive CF. I would guess that Mika Lee would slide over to RF and Kaylee Pond would remain in LF. If an infielder needs to be moved to the outfield (possibly supplanted by Mia Phillips), Chelsea Spencer can shift Pond over to DH.
BearinOC
Schroeder71 said:

Kayli Counts should be a great defensive CF. I would guess that Mika Lee would slide over to RF and Kaylee Pond would remain in LF. If an infielder needs to be moved to the outfield (possibly supplanted by Mia Phillips), Chelsea Spencer can shift Pond over to DH.
I did Kayli Counts' game. She plays for the infamous Firecracker Rico if I remember correctly.
In that game, she hit a homer to center field and robbed a homerun leaping backward at homerun fence.
It was one of those ESPN plays. You had to be there; Coach Spence was there and saw it from the stand.
CalFanatic
Well deserved. You could see big improvements in Butler, Bell, Lee, etc from last year to this year.

I imagine the program will break most offensive records next year if everyone stays healthy!

OBear073akaSMFan
Yep much improvement in the hitting philosophy btw coach spencer and Diane. Spencer letting the hitters swing more aggressive than the take pitches abd small ball mentality of diane.
OBear073akaSMFan
Yep much improvement in the hitting philosophy btw coach spencer and Diane. Spencer letting the hitters swing more aggressive than take pitches and small ball mentality of diane.
CalFanatic
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72
Does this move surprise you after only 1 season here, CF?
CalFanatic
Who knows. This is O'Toole's 3rd job in 3 years. Mueller just took her 3rd job in 3 years. Freeman did the same.

Maybe this is just the new normal...along with NIL and the portal. Honestly? I hate it.
Schroeder71
The job that O'Toole-Trejo did last season was nothing to write home about...She was out for a period during the season having her baby. I thought that this former southpaw star might be the perfect coaching fit for LHP Randi Roelling but now they are both gone.
Intuit
very disappointing result from both of them
Harborview

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.