Rio 2016 Olympics - *SWIMMING*

56,281 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Speaking of marketability, wonder how Smoliga would have developed at Cal? Great college swimmer, more valuable than Missy (4 years vs 2 years), but likely would have been a better backstroker at Cal under Teri-better training partners and back coaching. Georgia cleared room for both Missy and Smoliga, but Teri focused only on Missy.

Smoliga's very marketable, but Corporate America only pays big for gold or multiple medals. Too many up and coming backstrokers and sprinters that Smoliga is unlikely to make the team again in 2020. Probably picks up a medley relay medal in a prelim swim sub for Baker.
OBear073akaSMFan
HBear;842713815 said:

Just wondering -- do you think that the Turner case and lousy sentencing (+ subsequent news/societal outrage) will have any impact on recruiting?

Perhaps they will clean house and rid themselves of coach Knapp because of this - Kill 2 birds with one ax! BTW does anyone know when Knapp's contract is up for renewal?
OBear073akaSMFan
Shields & Neomi part of their Prelim qualifying medley relay teams, so chance for both to get Medals! Have to think USA final team will be Nathan, Young, Miller, and that man Phelps.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842713816 said:

Smoliga's very marketable, but Corporate America only pays big for gold or multiple medals. Too many up and coming backstrokers and sprinters that Smoliga is unlikely to make the team again in 2020. Probably picks up a medley relay medal in a prelim swim sub for Baker.

Hopefully of the Golden[COLOR="#DAA520"][SIZE=7]��[/SIZE][/COLOR]variety!

AUS may have been quite the fave in the leadup to Rio cos of their perceived untouchable bookend legs of the [U]4x100m medley relay[/U] - Seebohm was seen as pulling Oz in front by up to almost a sec by the end of her leadoff back, capped off by WR holder C1's anchor which many pundits reckoned could effectively erase any deficit to the American women of up to 1.5 sec.

However USA's chances are now looking decidedly sweet after the mental collapse down under at these games... The killer middle legs of course - biggest difference maker will be Lilly, who if true to form should lord it over the relatively slow AUS sprint breaststrokers, then of course Dana over McKeon or any Aussie flyer for that matter - Vollmer always rises to the occasion for the team and busts out amazing relay splits - remember her London leg?! -see below:

[video=youtube;3IMI3P_NlPk][/video]

More importantly, what was previously considered to be the (relatively) weaker legs of this relay team have come through spectacularly in both results (silver & gold), and inspired confidence. Kathleen knowing that she can hold off the best in the world! :beer: ... Simone having already demolished Cate in head-to-head competition, though it may be expecting too much for a repeat of C1's uncharacteristic folding under pressure.

Abbey did her part this morning helping the US to claim the top seed by more than 2 seconds over Canada (thanks in large to a wicked breast split from Katie Meili) - now thinking that amazing 2012 WR of Missy/Soni/Dana/Schmitt's may even be threatened come Sat finals, if all 4 legs perform to or beyond expectations - the crucial component being whether Lilly will be able to duplicate her OR-worthy 100 breast individual time!

OBear073akaSMFan;842713845 said:

Shields & Neomi part of their Prelim qualifying medley relay teams, so chance for both to get Medals! Have to think USA final team will be Nathan, Young, Miller, and that man Phelps.

Team Canada's also on a massive roll in these games, might get ahead of the Aussies so that Noemie can enjoy her[COLOR="#A9A9A9"][SIZE=7]��[/SIZE][/COLOR]medal haha

Kylie Masse had a tremendous prelims outing, leading off with a split that's even swifter than Thleen's Silver-winning time in the individual backstroke event ... don't forget Penny will be coming in, and we've all seen what she can do in both the fly & free

On the men's side, Tom should be getting his[COLOR="#DAA520"][SIZE=7]��[/SIZE][/COLOR]if all goes down as predicted.

Ryan will give us a nice lead (hopefully he'll have another go at Peirsol's WR) ... no need to panic though when Adam Peaty destroys the rest of the field with a record-breaking breast split and potentially hands off a massive advantage to GB (who I'll be cheering madly for as well :p) ... the GOAT's always at his best when coming from behind and will erase any reasonable deficit ... Nathan, always at his best in relays much like Dana, naturally should finish things off no matter how strong of a swim that the up-and-coming Duncan Scott can throw down for Team GBR, who may be not that far behind. Just praying hard tho that the likeable Cody Miller won't get the Americans DQ'd from his, ahem, extra dolphin kicks...

------

[SIZE=4]* [COLOR="#000066"]Day 7 Prelims[/COLOR] - [COLOR="#DAA520"]RESULTS[/COLOR]*[/SIZE]

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

James Porteous: #HKG 4x100 IM team after just missing out on Hong Kong record

------

Abbey Weitzeil: I didn't swim as well as I wanted to tonight, but all is well because I got to meet my favorite and the best!! ���� 50 is still to come ���� #1fan

https://instagr.am/p/BI_vga-ALUV

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[SIZE=3]* Day 7 FINALS *[/SIZE]

[U]Live Recap[/U]: https://swimswam.com/2016-rio-olympic-games-day-seven-finals-live-recap/

------
NYCGOBEARS
Unbelievable, Ervin with the gold in the 50 free at 35 years old! Adrian with a bronze. Go Bears!
WildBear
I remmeber being on the bus before the 2000 olympics in Berkeley and there was a swimmer on the bus. Tall and super skinny. I wondered who he was and how he could be any good at 165 pounds. A few months later he won the 50m at the olympics. Simply amazing.
OBear073akaSMFan
Dirado upsets (?) the iron lady in the 200 back and of course future furds Ledecky set WR & OR in the 800 free. With Manuel upset win in the 100fr ..Meehan (gulp) will be hot material!!!!!!

Will stay away from the bootleg board until things quiet down.
tedbear
Yeah, other than Thleen, a pretty disappointing Olympics for the Cal women, which is further exacerbated by the furdie success, but still relatively better than the Aussie women. Cal men did great though! And for me personally, loved seeing Penny's success! Looking forward to a normal year of competition with the Dream Team finally together, although the evil peninsula university will be tough to beat. Plus, a very important recruiting cycle if we want to stay elite.
HBear
tedbear;842713974 said:

Yeah, other than Thleen, a pretty disappointing Olympics for the Cal women, which is further exacerbated by the furdie success, but still relatively better than the Aussie women. Cal men did great though! And for me personally, loved seeing Penny's success! Looking forward to a normal year of competition with the Dream Team finally together, although the evil peninsula university will be tough to beat. Plus, a very important recruiting cycle if we want to stay elite.

Not to be a downer, but between DiRado, Simone, Neal, and Ledecky (despite no training yet with Meehan for Katie), LSJU looks to be the top dog for upcoming cycle(s). Also not to criticize or downplay the accomplishments of the incoming Bears (not counting Abbey since she had committed before this previous year), but is there any reason in particular as to why recruiting wasn't totally on our side this year? Would have thought that championship in '15, what with Missy's 1:39 AR, Bootsma's second 100yd back championship, Cierra's NCAA records at Pac-12, the 800 yd relay prowess, and others, etc., would have been strong indicators/otherwise attracting to potential Bears. Did I miss something, or was it just the luck of the draw?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842713963 said:

Dirado upsets (?) the iron lady in the 200 back

Definitely an upset - Seebohm & Hocking (AUS) were viewed as the ones to beat pre-Rio ... then Katinka claimed that role following the "Iron Lady"'s incredible performances in all her other events here, which extended to dominating the field thru prelims & semis - no one got within a second of Hosszu's times thru the earlier rounds, including finals (other than DiRado in the last round) ... Maya basically had to bust out a tremendous PB that now ranks her as the 5th fastest 200 back swimmer in history. Though to put things in perspective, DiRado's winning time is still almost 2 seconds slower than Missy's finals swim in London... At any rate, very happy for Maya and for Team USA, she seems to be such a sweet person too (in spite of being a furdette lol).

Yeah generally upsets all around tonight as has been the trend these Olympics (fortunately mostly in America's favour!) - Anthony over Manaudou as well (Ervin has always been one of the fastest on top of the water, but his starts & reaction times had usually been a critical handicap) ... to a lesser extent if one was paying attention to their race schedules, form & performances leading to this session, the Horns' Schooling dustng off Phelps with a textile WR (that 3-way draw between the GOAT, Le Clos & Cseh was admittedly quite fitting if in a bittersweet fashion). About the only thing that followed the script was Ledecky's WR gold!

------

[SIZE=3]* [COLOR="#000066"]Day 7 FINALS[/COLOR] - [COLOR="#DAA520"][U]RESULTS[/U][/COLOR]*[/SIZE]

------

WildBear;842713948 said:

I remmeber being on the bus before the 2000 olympics in Berkeley and there was a swimmer on the bus. Tall and super skinny. I wondered who he was and how he could be any good at 165 pounds. A few months later he won the 50m at the olympics. Simply amazing.

Swimswam comment: [COLOR="#696969"]"I saw an 18 year old Anthony Ervin break the Stanford Pool record (then DeGuerre Pool) in the 100 free in February, 2000 at the "Big Splash" Stanford/Cal meet. 0:42.6.

Nort Thornton was still Cal's coach then in 2000. Nort was/is a great coach and gentleman.

I'm sure Nort's thrilled tonight with Ervin's victory."[/COLOR]

------

[INDENT]https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/764304180265705472

[/INDENT]

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear;842713981 said:

Not to be a downer, but between DiRado, Simone, Neal, and Ledecky (despite no training yet with Meehan for Katie), LSJU looks to be the top dog for upcoming cycle(s). Also not to criticize or downplay the accomplishments of the incoming Bears (not counting Abbey since she had committed before this previous year), but is there any reason in particular as to why recruiting wasn't totally on our side this year? Would have thought that championship in '15, what with Missy's 1:39 AR, Bootsma's second 100yd back championship, Cierra's NCAA records at Pac-12, the 800 yd relay prowess, and others, etc., would have been strong indicators/otherwise attracting to potential Bears. Did I miss something, or was it just the luck of the draw?

Sorry don't have a glib explanation at my end ... do recall there was much gnashing of teeth + soul searching on this board when the identified talent pool who would have been invaluable to our women's team ended up committing to the Furd or elsewhere: Drabot, Small, Cox who all made official trips to Berkeley during Teri's prime recruiting weekend... not to mention Adams, Moseley, Byrnes, Nelson, Szekely, Voss, Burchill, Mann amongst others ... esp since expectations had been sky high after landing the Dream Team in the previous cycle. Cierra's blueshirt and upcoming transfer to the Badgers didn't exactly lift our spirits either, TBH :bawl:

[INDENT]http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?92372-Women-s-Swim-Recruiting-Class-of-2016[/INDENT]

Still, the incoming freshman class has been rated #2 by SwimSwam, so I think we'll do fine overall ... well other than contemplating the very real possibility of the next national championship titles or two going to that other school across the bay! :cry:

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842703285 said:

-------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5]Ranking the 2016 Women's NCAA Recruiting Classes: #1-4[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3]#4: Wisconsin Badgers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]#3: USC Trojans[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3]#2: California Golden Bears[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Top-tier additions: #2* Abbey Weitzeil (deferral), #13 Keaton Blovad, Maddie Murphy, Courtney Mykkanen, Chenoa Devine
The rest: Anina Lund, Alexa Buckley, Aislinn Light

Abbey Weitzeil was the #2 recruit from the Class of 2015, but she may even be the #2 overall recruit in history. Sprinters are the difference-makers at the NCAA level, and Weitzeil is the best prep sprinter in history. She currently holds the American and U.S. Open record in the 50 free (21.12), and also she dropped a 46.29 over 18 months ago at Winter Juniors to temporarily own the 100 free records, as well. So she's incredibly fast, and there's no doubt the Bears will be jockeying primarily with Stanford (who gets back Simone Manuel) and USC across all five relays next year.

She's not the only sprint addition, either. Teri McKeever also landed Keaton Blovad (22.7/49.0 in the 50/100) and Maddie Murphy (22.5/48.6). Blovad carries more freestyle endurance (1:46.6 200 free), but Murphy adds a 100 butterfly to the mix (52.1) that would have scored at NCAA's. That fly adds important long-term depth to the Cal fly group, as Noemie Thomas will be the loan threat remaining after Farida Osman graduates this year.

Two more serious assets for Cal: Courtney Mykkanen, a 53.9/1:56.0 backstroker and 2:00.9 IMer, and Chenoa Devine, a 4:44.3/16:20.3 distance freestyler. While not at the NCAA individual scoring level right now, both will be key at Pac-12's, particularly Devine; recent graduations and the transfer of Cierra Runge have left the distance cupboards rather bare (no pun indended) for Cal.

[SIZE=3]#1: Stanford Cardinal[/SIZE]

https://swimswam.com/ranking-2016-womens-ncaa-recruiting-classes-1-4/

-------
HBear
Thanks for the thoughts, UAC. Was just curious, but I suppose that's just the way the cards fall sometimes. Am hoping the upcoming season will be a strong one with the anticipated return(s) to health of McLaughlin/Mau (injury? sickness? Not sure if anything was ever specified/clarified), strong swims of Bilquist/Baker/Weitzeil post-US OTs, as well as those of int'l Bears Farida and Noemie, off the top of my head.

Also, not to sound like a complete newcomer to the game, but what/which weekend(s) exactly are the "prime" ones on which coaches lure recruits? Wasn't sure if most schools/teams follow about the same timelines every year or not. Remember that Keaton and many other class of 2016'ers committed early last year, but I feel like (perhaps due to commotion of Trials and Games this summer) that's not the situation this year.
tedbear
HB, the first contact period starts on July 1st. That's the day when all the coaches call their most desired recruits. Our big recruiting weekend is usually the first home football game of the year, and most commitments come in late September and October, before the signing day in November. Some recruits know where they want to go from a early time and commit way before even the first contact period. Examples of this are Ledecky two years ago, and last year, Moseley who went to U$C. Of course there are always late signees, especially internationals in the Spring.

Oh, and DiRado graduated two years ago, so she is done.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear;842714001 said:

what/which weekend(s) exactly are the "prime" ones on which coaches lure recruits? Wasn't sure if most schools/teams follow about the same timelines every year or not.

Quick answer here ... hopefully the regulars who have been around the board much longer would care to chime in with more specific & accurate details?

[U]September[/U] seems to be a popular timeframe for most collegiate swim programmes - 12 Sept @ the SDSU game for our baby :bear: prospects last year.
LSJU a bit later cos of their wacky quarter-system, believe Meehan held his on 3 Oct 2015.

At a very rough guess, reckon Teri & the team will likely host the main bulk of 2017 recruits the weekend of the 17th, during the big home opener v. the Horns. Then possibly one or more lower-profile ones the next few weekends depending on feedback from the first batch of prospects.

Auburn Tigers Swim & Dive's 2015 schedule for reference (M & W):

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Alright tedbear beat me with a more concise but yet more comprehensive/relevant answer ... I had originally posted without having seen or read his first
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842713734 said:

Much as we'd all fervently root for Ledecky to go pro sooner rather than later over here (for altruistic reasons of course, in support of Team USA lol), she has been consistent in avowing her love for the country club and unwavering intention to swim all four years for LSJU, so... Akin to Missy's loyal declaration to commit to Cal for her first two-years, so I'd have to accord some respect if KL does stick to her guns on this score. She does have the luxury of having an affluent family to fall back upon, esp if her uncle's finances are taken into account

From this just published article: http://www.swimvortex.com/katie-ledecky-timewarp-804-79-wr-fit-to-last-4th-gold-a-match-for-meyers-triple/

-------

[COLOR="#696969"]Ledecky will now head off to Stanford University. She said: "It's going to be exciting. I am heading home in a couple of days and I'll have to get all my stuff for my dorm and get everything ready. It'll be tough leaving home but I'm excited for the next chapter."

"I'm looking forward to having that college experience on the NCAA team at Stanford and I get to be on the team with Simone Manuel and Leah Smith and it's going to be incredible. Some day, once I am done with college swimming, I will want to be a professional and hopefully I will still be swimming and doing well."

"I know I can have another great four years at Stanford and I know I have a lot of people supporting me." [/COLOR]

Footnote: er, I think that's supposed to be Lia Neal, [U]not[/U] Leah Smith... lol

-------

Rodger Sherman: Katie Ledecky, pictured with the 7 next best swimmers in the world.

-------

[SIZE=4]Ledecky on Post-Olympics: "I'll Have to Get All My Stuff for My Dorm"[/SIZE]

https://swimswam.com/ledecky-post-olympics-ill-get-stuff-dorm/

-------
BearDevil
Both Bear swim teams are locked into duopolies with schools (TX-men, LSJU-women) that have much more in common with Cal than some are comfortable and/or unwilling to admit.

UT may not be an academic super power, but it's a very good school, an athletic super power, and one of the best college towns in America. Perfectly reasonable to root against the 'Whorns, but they'd fit in better in the current PAC than all other non-CA current members. Durden's team's loaded, but unfortunately UT's the only team that can beat them at NCAAs. Kudos to anyone who uses their athletic ability to be admitted to an Ivy or LSJU, but those schools aren't destinations for serious swimmers anymore. David Nolan's a great guy, swimmer, and student, but squandered his athletic talent on the farm. Nowhere near Adrian or Shields and Nolan's athletic/academic peers Murphy and Seliskar wisely chose Cal. Status quo is perfectly fine at LSJU since they're no longer a Cal threat in conference, at NCAAs, or internationally. Replace Knapp with Meehan, Yuri, or Marsh and that equation changes.

LSJU women's team was in the exact same position four years ago. Under a competent coach, DiRado & Felicia Lee would have been 2012 Olympians and Missy might have seriously considered LSJU. Wisely poached Durden protege Meehan, who's built a monster team. Georgia's on the way down, LSJU's on the way up, and Bears are hanging tough.

Georgia, Florida, A&M, Arizona, and Tennessee churn out great swimmers, but can't compete with Cal and LSJU as academic/athletic combos. UVa, Texas, 'SC, Michigan, UCLA, and Wisconsin have potential, but can never get over the hump.

Silly for any partisans on either side of the Bay to pretend Missy, Ledecky, Natalie, Manuel, Vollmer, DiRado, Baker, or Lia would have only thrived at one school, but not the other.

Teri's hole's a little deeper than Durden's because of gaps in breast and distance. New facility will finally get Bears into the game for divers.

Lots of pressure on Teri and Durden since the expectations are NCAA team or individual titles or Olympic medals. Throw in academic excellence (Adrian, Natalie, Murphy, Missy, Prenot, Amy, Seliskar, and Acker) and there's an extremely narrow window of must get recruits every year. No need to stress over "losing" recruits who prefer the SEC or Ivies. Athletic, academic, and cultural fit matter. Does anybody think UW stakeholders are pining away for the next Hope Solo today?
tedbear
Kyle Chalmers is a huge Kevin Durant fan. Maybe he wants to go to school in the States and be closer to his idol. Somebody tell Durden!
beaverbear
tedbear;842714091 said:

Kyle Chalmers is a huge Kevin Durant fan. Maybe he wants to go to school in the States and be closer to his idol. Somebody tell Durden!

I think it's too late -- he's already signed with Adidas. Maybe confirm also with Josh Prenot, who was repping Adidas at the Olympics ....
OBear073akaSMFan
beaverbear;842714098 said:

I think it's too late -- he's already signed with Adidas. Maybe confirm also with Josh Prenot, who was repping Adidas at the Olympics ....

Heard on radio Ledecky will be part of the medley relay team. Tell me I heard incorrectly. I assume Simone will be swimming free.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842714100 said:

Heard on radio Ledecky will be part of the medley relay team. Tell me I heard incorrectly. I assume Simone will be swimming free.

That would be a massive shocker, no matter how superlative Ledecky is!!!! The lineup's as expected, at least according to Dana here:

[COLOR="#696969"]Dana: Final four!!!! ��������
@_king_lil @KathleenBaker2 @simone_manuel #relay #teamusa[/COLOR]

Think Team Canada will be going with Masse/Nichol/Oleksiak/Van Landeghem respectively...
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
For one horrifying heartstopping moment, thought Abbey had been poached by Bowman when she posted this photo today :nono: :headbang :bawl:

Thankfully had just misread USA as ASU... :p

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[SIZE=4]2016 Olympics: Josh Prenot says Cal creates 'culture of success' in swimming program [/SIZE]

[video=youtube;Ir85HfgbamU][/video]

------

[SIZE=4]Rio Olympics 2016: Mic'd Up Dave Durden [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]VIDEO ->[/SIZE]

------

Kimberlee MacV.: Can't wait 2 take daughter 2 @CalWSwim meets post @Olympics #CalBearsInRio go @AbbeyWeitzeil @missyfranklin #inspire

https://twitter.com/1Demodiva/status/764551577164128257/

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[SIZE=4]Medley Relay Preview: U.S. Women In Command, Men In For Close Battle[/SIZE]

https://swimswam.com/medley-relay-preview-u-s-women-command-men-close-battle/

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[SIZE=3]* Day 8 FINALS *[/SIZE]

[U]Live Recap[/U]: https://swimswam.com/2016-rio-olympic-games-day-eight-finals-live-recap/

------
OBear073akaSMFan
men and women 400MR both win gold medals. Six Bears rec'd Gold medals. Guys Nathan, Ryan in the final and Tom Shield swimming prelim . Ryan Murphy to boot set WR in the backstroke on his first leg of the relay. Women, Dana, Kathleen swam finals, and Abbey swam in the prelim. All earned GOLD. Great day for USA and the Bears!
HBear
Women's medley relay win is also the 1000th gold medal for Team USA - how's that for icing on the cake?! Very proud to have watched and cheered on our Bears and all of team USA.
bear2034
OBear073akaSMFan;842714281 said:

men and women 400MR both win gold medals. Six Bears rec'd Gold medals. Guys Nathan, Ryan in the final and Tom Shield swimming prelim . Ryan Murphy to boot set WR in the backstroke on his first leg of the relay. Women, Dana, Kathleen swam finals, and Abbey swam in the prelim. All earned GOLD. Great day for USA and the Bears!

A world record for Ryan Murphy, incredible!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[SIZE=3]* [COLOR="#000066"]Day 8 FINALS[/COLOR] - [COLOR="#DAA520"][U]RESULTS[/U][/COLOR]*[/SIZE]

Note: Team USA's [U]W 4x100 Medley[/U] Prelims team, anchored by Abbey, would have been good for [COLOR="#808080"]SILVER[/COLOR], ahead of AUS with their 3:54.67!

------

------
bear2034
Amazing performances by the U.S. swimmers, congrats to the Cal swimmers and coaches!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

------

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842714418 said:

------

2) [SIZE=3]Rio 2016 Olympic Games[/SIZE] - Swimming medal count (doesn't include Open Water which starts tomorrow):

------

3) [SIZE=3]London 2012 Olympic Games[/SIZE] - Swimming medal count:

------

4) [SIZE=3]Kazan 2015 World Championships[/SIZE] - Swimming medal count:

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]NCAA Olympics Wrap Part I: The Final Medal Tally[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Over the next few days, we'll be taking a closer look at how NCAA teams stacked up here in Rio. That'll include breaking the medal table further to reflect the impact of those who participated in the 2015-2016 season, those who redshirted, and those who deferred for a year.

However, over the course of the week, we've been keeping track of medalists and finalists who competed with, or will compete with, a NCAA team in 2016. As this is designed to give a snapshot of how the top schools are represented in Rio, we're using a pretty wide definition of who will count in our hypothetical medal tables. So, we're including swimmers who chose to sit out this past NCAA season and redshirt, those who chose to defer matriculation for a year and will start in this fall, and those who have just graduated. Again, the intent is not to "assign credit" to a particular coach or program. We're well aware that NCAP's Bruce Gemmell coaches Katie Ledecky, not Stanford coach Greg Meehan. Rather, we're trying to give a quick snapshot of major college programs by seeing how swimmers who have competed for them recently, or will be competing this fall, fared on the swimming world's biggest stage.

[SIZE=4]Gold Medalists[/SIZE]

[INDENT] Ryan Murphy, California, [U]100 Back[/U], [U]200 Back[/U], & [U]4100 Medley Relay[/U]
Kathleen Baker, California, [U]4100 Medley Relay[/U]
Abbey Weitzeil, California, [U]4100 Medley Relay[/U] (Prelims)
Katie Ledecky, Stanford, [U]400 Freestyle[/U], [U]200 Freestyle[/U], [U]4200 Free Relay[/U], & [U]800 Freestyle[/U]
Simone Manuel, Stanford, [U]100 Freestyle[/U] & [U]4100 Medley Relay[/U]
Cierra Runge, Wisconsin, [U]4200 Freestyle Relay[/U] (Prelims)[/INDENT]

[SIZE=4]Silver Medalists[/SIZE]

[INDENT] Abbey Weitzeil, California, [U]4100 Freestyle Relay[/U]
Kathleen Baker, California, [U]100 Back[/U]
Josh Prenot, California, [U]200 Breast[/U]
Katie Ledecky, Stanford, [U]4100 Freestyle Relay[/U]
Simone Manuel, Stanford, [U]4100 Freestyle Relay[/U] & [U]50 Freestyle[/U]
Lia Neal, Stanford, [U]4100 Freestyle Relay[/U] (Prelims)[/INDENT]

[SIZE=4]Other Finalists[/SIZE]

[INDENT] Jacob Pebley, California, [U]200 Back[/U]
Abbey Weitzeil, California, [U]100 Freestyle[/U][/INDENT]

[SIZE=4]Medal Count by School[/SIZE]

[INDENT] Stanford: 6/4/0 = 10 total
California: 5/3/0 = 8 total
Texas: 4/0/0 = 4 total
Indiana: 3/0/1 = 4 total
Georgia: 2/1/2 = 5 total
Florida: 2/0/0 = 2 total
Virginia: 1/0/1 = 2 total
NC State: 1/0/0 = 1 total
Wisconsin: 1/0/0 = 1 total
Louisville: 1/0/0 = 1 total[/INDENT]

https://swimswam.com/ncaa-olmpics-wrap-part-i/

------

------
BearDevil
Anthony Ervin killing it on CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/swimmer-anthony-ervin-returns-to-glory-after-16-years/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.