2019 Women's Swimming Recruiting

221,894 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Teri could conceivably stand pat with returning Bears and current commits and still be able to put together top 3 to 5 relays across the board. An NCAA championship team generally needs 450 points to win and that roughly pencils out to top 3 finishes in all relays and and A and B scorer in every swimming event.

Multiple scorers are not likely in breast or distance, but can make some of that up in fly (Maddie, Cassidy, Elise). KB3 could add some punch in back and the best of Ali, Ema, or Zoie could move Abbey into her natural sprint hammer slot on medley relays.

Abbey/Izzy/Maddie hold down three legs on the 200/400 Free Relays. For sure Robin could be used on the 400, not clear on the 200. Alex Crisera could be useful on both relays.

Robin and Izzy can swim legs on the 800 Free Relay. Could also add Abbey, Darcel, or Keaton. Maybe Chenoa. Abbey and Izzy could swim all five relays, but more useful as 3 individual/4 relay swimmers. Mary Smutny could help on the 800 along with middle distance.

Lots of really good options thanks to Teri's eye toward versatility.
bearz012
BearDevil said:

Multiple scorers are not likely in breast or distance, but can make some of that up in fly (Maddie, Cassidy, Elise). KB3 could add some punch in back and the best of Ali, Ema, or Zoie could move Abbey into her natural sprint hammer slot on medley relays.

Abbey/Izzy/Maddie hold down three legs on the 200/400 Free Relays. For sure Robin could be used on the 400, not clear on the 200. Alex Crisera could be useful on both relays.

Robin and Izzy can swim legs on the 800 Free Relay. Could also add Abbey, Darcel, or Keaton. Maybe Chenoa. Abbey and Izzy could swim all five relays, but more useful as 3 individual/4 relay swimmers. Mary Smutny could help on the 800 along with middle distance.

Lots of really good options thanks to Teri's eye toward versatility.
Some options for the 'back' portion of the medley relay:

Keaton Blovad: 24.62
Katharine Berkoff: 24.76
Isabel Ivey: 25.27 (1st 50 of 100 back PB)
Alex Sumner: 25.41
Chloe Clark: 25.43
Courtney Mykkanen: 25.62

Unless some other backstroker mysteriously drops a ton of time in backstroke, I think our Keaton will manage the backstroke portion of the medley relay. Don't think anyone takes Abbey's place in the 50 breast (Ema's 27.89 is still a ways off Abbey's 26.67 that she dropped at NCAA's... at best, Ema could probably go a 27.2) Maddie dropped a 23.33 split in the B 200 medley relay @ UGA invite, and we could probably anchor with Izzie ? Unless we get Kate Douglass lol
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Maddie dropped a 23.33 split in the B 200 medley relay @ UGA invite, and we could probably anchor with Izzie ? Unless we get Kate Douglass lol
I recall someone in the 2018 thread mentioning that Kate D. swam fly on the 200 med relay in Knoxville with a 23.69, so if we do get her, not only would we be putting her breast/free/IM skills to work, but potentially fly as well.

Link to results for verification (Kate swims for Chelsea Piers, 6th place):
http://www.swmeets.com/Realtime/SC%20Juniors/2017/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/01/29/humble-cal-womens-swim-extends-record-9-0-sits-usc-ucla/

The Bears' flare is kept strictly to the water, as they are swimmers built on a foundation of humility yet, they have a roster full of superstars.

"They kind of have that instilled in them already, just the way they grew up and the types of people they are," Dunleavy said. "(Those are) the kind of the people we look at when we recruit, not just people with fast times."
mighty bears
Just a little observation related to the Daily Cal article and pertaining to the value the women's team places on humility- I was at the Cal-Arizona meet. I was really impressed with the Cal swimmers, especially Amy Bilquist, in how they made a point to show their gratitude to the Cal Band for showing up. Amy, in particular, thanked each member of the band as the band was leaving. I loved seeing some of the greatest swimmers/athletes in the world taking the time to notice that the Cal band didn't have to be there. For me, that display of humility makes it so much more fun to cheer on the Cal women's swim team.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Also lots of support from her friends:

https://instagr.am/p/BemHUVoDcIn

tedbear
Amy!!!
swimmer19
I've been quite a bit behind on this, and I sincerely apologize. It's been a busy past two weeks, but I wanted to provide some quick updates on recruiting. Apologies in advance also, it's pretty long as well.

High school champs are underway in Texas, with the regional meets wrapped up yesterday, and state the weekend of Feb. 16th.

Attached are the links to see which of our recruits qualified for the 6A meet (big schools). I'm still waiting on the links to the 5A meet.

6A Automatic Qualifiers
6A Callups

The way that HS State is seeded: there are 8 regions in Texas. The top two swimmers in each event in the A-final are automatic qualifiers for State. From there, the next 8 fastest swimmers from all 8 regions are essentially "called up" to the meet.

As I was "officiating" (more like working the computers), I was able to mentally note some useful information beneficial to all of us here: (I included club team names, and separated by class. Times are in the links above)

2019:

1. Ella Collins (Austin Swim Club): She swam a 1:46.83 in the 200 free. Leads everyone going into state. I would say that I have her on my list, in addition to the in-staters that we have been frequently talking about.

2. Sydney Stanford/Beth McNeese (Cy-Fair Swimming/Katy Aquatics): I'm going to talk about them both at the same time, given that they're from the same region.

-Sydney's last name is a non-starter, according to UAC, but she has lots of upside potential. Won the 100 free as well in addition to her 200 victory.

-Beth took second in both the 200 and 500, the 200 is her second fastest recorded time ever, I think.

-Both aren't very high profiled, nor do they rank very high in both Texas and Nationally, but I think with development they could be key players to any team in the future.

3. Emma Stephenson (Dad's Club): She's one of the members of the "Emma-cubed" trio (Emma Carlton and Emma Sticklen being the others). She swam a solid 50 free/100 fly, the latter having her seeded as #2 behind Sticklen. Also seeded #2 I think in the 50.

4. Emma Wheal (Western Hills): Seeded #3 in the 50 free, but managed to make the 100 free callups list. Solid times overall, was a medalist in both these events last year at state.

2020:

1. Emma Sticklen (Katy Aquatics): I'm putting her as another must-get for 2020 behind Alex Walsh. She broke her pool AND region record TWICE this weekend (prelims/finals), once in a practice suit. She's seeded #1 in the 100 fly, and a respectable #3 in the 100 back.

2. Hannah Bellina (Pearland): Her sister, Jaden, swims for Auburn. However, brings in a very intriguing set order of the 200/500 free. Solid times as well, she is a repeat state qualifier.

3. Valerie Ann Staffeldt (The Woodlands): Her primary events are the 50/100 free. Seeded #1 in the 50, and #5 in the 100. Was part of the state medalist 200 medley/free relays last year as well.

A bit ways off, but a 2021 recruit I want to introduce is Ana Herceg, from the Austin area (Nitro). She swims in the 5A meet (I think), so I don't have any of her times readily available. However, reports are that she did blast a 1:49 point 200 yard freestyle, and she's only 14! Her development is similar to that of 2018 Louisville commit Diana Dunn, who went a 1:50 high when she was 13.

Sorry you guys have to keep reading, but here are some other 2019 recruits of interest (minus #10 Kaitlyn Dobler), albeit not from Texas that I've discussed with some of you (looking at you, bearz012 and UAC):

1. Cora Dupre: Bearz012 and I have discussed her a bit ever since someone shared the Texas unofficial visit pic in the thread. Swims club for Mason Manta Rays (Fosters + Ashley Volpenhein). We understand that Texas is on her radar, and probs the Furd (Ashley), Tennessee (Hannah Foster), and maybe some other sprint-inclined school that will cater to her needs, which is primarily sprint (22.51/49.53) and back/fly (54.83/55.92).

2. Katie Mack: She swims for NCAP (Cass, K. Ledecky). Apparently super close with 2018 Kentucky commit Isabella Gati as well. If she were to go to the Farm, I believe that her talents would be overshadowed; there's too many swimmers like her there; they have too many swimmers like her, an all-arounder-ish type (Ella Eastin, Brooke Forde). Primarily focuses on free/back, though (22.60/49.06/1:47.93 free, 53.96/1:56.94 back)

3. Olwyn Bartis: SwimMAC (Thleen). Incredible range of freestyle (think Drew Kibler, Trey Freeman on the men's side). In the event that we do get her, I think it eliminates the immediate need for Ella Ristic in 2020 as Olwyn herself would be a decent replacement for Chenoa with the exception of the non-CS reported 1650/1000 (holds times of 22.78/49.44/1:46.39/4:46.31 50-500).

4. Ashley Turak: From Michigan, I would like to be inclined to say that she's on Mike Bottom's radar. I don't know much about her, but if we can pull her in, with a bit of further development heck she may as well be the next Maddie Murphy sans fly skills. Solid sprinter (22.38/49.79 free), which is pretty much all she can do, but brings in lots of value.

5. Christiana Renegauer: Same with Ashley, this is my first time hearing about her. I checked the location provided on CS, seems to be about an hour away from NYC, where Kate D. is from. Much less sure about their connections, as well. However, she and Ashley with development could actually turn into a younger version of MM, but Christiana with those fly skills. Another sprinter (22.76/49.36/1:49.12) with a decent 100 fly (54.60)

6. Ashley McCauley: Ashley hails from Marlins of Raleigh in NC. She's primarily attributed to as a breaststroker, with IM talent attached to her. 200 breast champ in Knoxville (2:09.54), and her club teammate/bff is Maddie Homovich, UGA commit (2018). I think she was either a National Junior Team member at some point, or on the 2015 Jr. Worlds squad, but I could be wrong.

7. Gabrielle Dang (no, not related to 2020 recruit Ethan): Gabby is a sprinter of sorts. She hails from Bellevue Club Swim Team, in Bothell, WA. Primarily a sprint freestyler through the 200 (22.90/49.85/1:49.46). Also excels at the 100 fly (52.77). She attended National Select Camp this past fall as well. Hailing from WA state, I think she's friends with Emma Carlton, TAMU commit, and the duo of Jon Cook and Daniel Roy, Furd commits on the men's side.

8. Madelyn Flickinger (not related to UGA pro Hali): She hails from SwimMAC Carolina, home club of Thleen, if that's any encouragement at all. Strongest event looks to be her 100 free, 49.81 leading off the 400FRR in Knoxville. Solid backstrokes (54.27/1:56.98), and Winter Jrs cuts in the 200 breast and both IMs.

9. Mackenzie Degn: She comes from NOVA, home club of Courtney Mykkanen. Her high school team, Santa Margarita, had Katie McL and Furd star Grant Shoults, not to mention Ella Ristic (2020), Isabelle Odgers (2018 $C commit), and Samantha Shelton (2018 Harvard commit). Her best times in her best events, 50/100/200 free, were all achieved at the CIF State meet back in May of last year (22.95/49.91/1:49.13).

10. Kaitlyn Dobler (2020): bearz012 pointed her out to me.Kaitlyn looks like a great 2020 recruit: #1 OR, #9 Nat. Primarily a breaststroker (1:00.5/2:11.4), has a more than decent 50 free (22.8). Keeks is partially from Oregon, so that's the only connection I know of. We may not be in need of more breaststrokers by then, but she also has a high improvement curve (all best times done quite recently).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

(June 2017)
As a sidenote, a trio of talented locals in the 2019 class to keep an eye on for the future...
  • Zoie Hartman (#1 CA, #8 Nat) - Danville | Crow Canyon Sharks

bearz012 said:

Zoie- She comes from the Crow Canyon Sharks,, which is where Maddie and 2018 commit Daniel O'Connell on the men's side come from. I doubt that the Furds would want her as they have freshman Grace and 2018 commits Zoe and Allie holding down breast pretty well. Her 50 free time of 22.94 is solid, and her 100/200 free times of 49.15/1:47.67 are very developmental, and could make for a key player on the 800 free relay especially since both Thleen and Katie McL are on that relay.
zeldazcat said:

A 2019 class with Kate Douglass, Isabel Ivey, and CA swimmers Chloe Clark and zoie Hartman would be huge for cal
Zoie's likely (hopefully lol) looking @ Bears seriously - swim coach & programme's top-notch history/record, East Bay & Sharks connection, quality of the education here, etc (no need to elaborate really, Cal's reputation speaks for itself )

Think (edit: corrected spelling of Zoie's surname lol) Hartman may have already taken an unofficial visit to 'SC tho?

Trojanettes are definitely one of the frontrunners for her, being "Breaststroke U" and all that (no comment here re their now retired pro group *cough*). Wouldn't be such a great outcome for us, TBH.

Hmmm, really hope our latest list of wants for 2019 didn't get leaked to Salo (again), as he appears to be targeting quite a few of our faves - Kate Douglass, Miranda Heckman, and now Zoie! :p

Anyway, other contenders for Hartman's commitment may include UT & UGA.

Feel that chances of Zoie going to LSJU would be lower than to 'SC...reasons as noted by bearz012.

I'm sure a slew of other schools are actively (unofficially of course hehe) pursuing talented & versatile Zoie, including but not limited to UVa, NCS, Michigan, the 2 Arizonas, Ohio State, etc.

2016 Winter Junior Championships West (left to right): Grace Zhao (2017 LSJU), Zoe Bartel (2018 LSJU), Zoie Hartman (2019 recruit)

bearz012

Or if Kate & Zoie do elect to go elsewhere, then would be v. happy w/Katharine Berkoff (we still need to make up for the massive losses on back after Thleen & Billy's departures - Izzie & Chloe are naturally a great start in that dept, but Kat would seal the backstroke deal for this class!), + Miranda Heckman + Mary Smutny...

Katharine Berkoff adds new swimming record to already glowing resume

When the starting buzzer sounded, Berkoff exploded off the block into her powerful underwater start. As she streamlined below the surface, she exerted forceful dolphin kicks. She was the last to break the surface, in similar fashion to her Olympic gold medal-winning father, David Berkoff.

But come this fall, the Berkoff siblings won't be practicing in the same lane. Cale heads to Minnesota for his freshman season as a Golden Gopher in August while Katharine prepares for her junior year at Hellgate.

------

Her brother is going to Minnesota, so there's that connection. Another thing to take note of - her spectacular underwaters, which will surely be beneficial in NCAA swimming.
tedbear
Nice article find bearz012! I'm even more sold than before. I^2, CC, KB3, and either Smutney or Hickman.
swimmer19
Here are my takes on the topic of our current recruits vs. USC with time regarding to Miranda Heckman's unofficial visit to $C the weekend of their meet v. Wisconsin (Jan. 20th I think):

Kate Douglass: I don't think I ever had any inclinations of her coming here, but rather her staying on the East Coast, where it would better fit her, hence my inclinations of her leaning towards UVA/UNC. However, things have proven otherwise, because an entire slew of $C swimmers followed her on insta recently: Abby Miller, Tatum Wade, Lily Dubroff, Caitlin Tycz, Kirsten Vose, Louise Hansson, Piper Brockley, Hanni Leach, and Jake Sannem and Carsten Vissering on the men's side. In return, she's following Louise Hansson, Abby Miller, Caitlin Tycz, Jake Sannem, and Lily Dubroff. Oddly enough, the Irvine Novaquatics club team's official insta also followed her (Ayla, 2019; Ella R., 2020).

Zoie Hartman: Well apparently $C is Breaststroke U, in terms of how much success they've had. I'm assuming she must have visited SoCal recently as well, because now she's following Riley Scott, Kirsten Vose, Louise Hansson, Tatum Wade, Hanni Leach, Lily Dubroff, Catherine Sanchez, Piper Brockley, Abby Miller, all of whom follow her back, in addition to being mutuals with the $C swim account on insta.

Also, they apparently have 12 swimmers graduating spring 2019, along with two divers (thanks for the stats, UAC!). Even as a private school, they now have quite a bit of money to give away, albeit some may not be on the athletic scholarship.

Kat Berkoff: So apparently lady trojan Hanni Leach, $C c/o 2019, is not only from Missoula, but also from Hellgate, Kat's high school. I mean, I'm not quite sure of Salo's record with backstrokers, but *sigh* I guess $C is also a main target for KB number 3 as well.

Also would like to note that Kate D. has also followed a number of UVA swimmers, including Jen Marrkand, Erin Earley, Kyla Valls, Emma Seiberlich, Morgan Hill, and Maddy Vonderhaar. So, I'm assuming UVA, $C are the notable ones on her radar.

UPDATE: if you click this link, vsco.co/katedouglass, the pics at the front are the most recent. The UVA famous building thing is at the top of the first page. To further answer your questions, it does indeed look like yes, she made a visit to the Wahoos.
bearz012

A bit of a pipe dream perhaps lol, but just imagine Bears fielding a medley relay team of Regan (back), Alex W (breast), Cassidy (fly) & Izzy (free) @ 2021 NCAAs...

Just a heads up - some high school state meets are around the corner, and some of your faves are swimming:

TENNESSEE:
WALSH SISTERS, TREY FREEMAN, AND ALLIE RAAB HIGHLIGHT TISCA PSYCHS
Alex Walsh, Allie Raab 100 Breast Race Highlights Tennessee HS Psych Sheets

- Alex Walsh (2020, Harpeth Hall): 200 free (2 seed), 100 breast (1 seed)
- Ella Nelson (2019, Harpeth Hall): 200 IM (2 seed), 500 free (2 seed)
- Gretchen Walsh (2021, Harpeth Hall): 50 free (2 seed), 100 back (3 seed)

Ella taking on a brutal double, and I reckon that Gretchen & Alex will probably win the 50 and 200 free, respectively, as they are seeded much lower than their PBs.

Some other notable swimmers:
- Addison Smith (2019, Baylor School): 200 free (1 seed), 500 free (1 seed)
- Ellie Waldrep (2021, Baylor School): 100 fly (12 seed), 100 back (1 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-tennessee-high-school-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf
bearz012 said:

Kelly Pash: Boasts excellent free (22.9/48.5/1:45.2), 200 fly (1:57.9), and IM (1:58.0/4:10.9) times. Could easily slid into our 400 and 800 free relays, and would contribute a solid 400 IM. Swims for Carmel (Amy, Veronica & Sammie Burchill - UGA, Claire Adams - Horns, Drew Kibler - Horns)
INDIANA:
Carmel Girls Chase 32nd Straight Indiana High School State Title
- Kelly Pash (2019, Carmel): 200 free (1 seed), 100 free (1 seed)

Kelly may be going after the state records set by Claire (1:45.09) and Amy (48.36)

- Elsa Fretz (2021, Northridge): 200 free (5 seed): 1:49.26, 100 free (49.86) - impressive times as a freshmen
- Mallory Jackson (2020, Carroll Fort Wayne): 200 IM (4 seed), 100 back (2 seed) - #65 on CS, could potentially win both events with her PBs
- Elizabeth Broshears (2020, Evansville Reitz Memorial): 50 free (1 seed), 100 fly (1 seed) - has a sub 23 50 free time

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-indiana-high-school-girls-state-champs-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf
bearz012
swimmer19 said:

Alright, so while there are a few early commits on the class of 2023 on the men's side to schools not named Cal, I feel like these 4 in-state recruits should be the standard for this recruiting cycle.

Chloe, Miranda, Ayla, Zoie
Another instate prospect to look for is Riley Lexvold (#43 Nat #6 CA), who is another versatile swimmer, albeit not at the same caliber as Izzy or Chloe, but a valuable swimmer nonetheless. She swims for Mission Viejo (Katie McL) Most of her times were done quite recently at Winter Juniors, and her IM time is a sub 2:00. She's following Cal, Purdue, Ohio State, ASU, Stanford, Arizona, Virginia, Georgia, Oregon State, USC and Northwestern. Her freestyle progression is quite good, as she's dropped 4 seconds in half a year.

Zephanie Koh is also a really good 200 flyer, just a tad slower than Mary Smutny's class-best 200 fly time. Her sprint fly could use a bit more work, but solid nevertheless. Her 100 back is quite developmental, dropping 4 seconds from Dec. 2016.
bearz012
bearz012 said:

Another instate prospect to look for is Riley Lexvold (#43 Nat #6 CA), who is another versatile swimmer, albeit not at the same caliber as Izzy or Chloe, but a valuable swimmer nonetheless. She swims for Mission Viejo (Katie McL) Most of her times were done quite recently at Winter Juniors, and her IM time is a sub 2:00. She's following Cal, Purdue, Ohio State, ASU, Stanford, Arizona, Virginia, Georgia, Oregon State, USC and Northwestern. Her freestyle progression is quite good, as she's dropped 4 seconds in half a year.
Oof - just as I posted that, I found this...she's an $C lean.

https://instagr.am/p/BWoRyXgj4Pj
BearDevil
Seems like Alex Cisera would be a great in-state get. Can always use another pure sprinter (50/100) for the 200/400 Relays, especially if a substitute breast leg on medley relays for Abbey doesn't emerge/get added.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

------

https://instagr.am/p/Be6B3raAb6G
------

Sorry (not sorry ), er, just using the above as yet another excuse to celebrate Izzy's verbal to Bears...oh, and of course Cassidy's, and Reece's on the men's side

Special thanks goes out to Caitlin for her help in all of this (Dana's too, in Bayer's case) - for context, see the quoted posts below culled from here: https://bearinsider.com/forums/5/topics/27979/2

Up next...Alex & Gretchen Walsh, perhaps? lol

25 Aug 2016

Actually I've been most impressed by Isabel Ivey who's really on fire @ this meet, and dropping time like crazy!

The promising 2019 recruit won the 100 free in 54.95 (old PB = 55.71), only swimmer in the entire field to dip below the 55 sec barrier ... as a matter of fact, that time would have tied her with Allison Schmitt in prelims of Olympic Trials to advance onto semis @ Omaha! For reference, 100m free times for the other American qualifiers in this evening's finals: Grace Ariola - 55.93, Lauren Pitzer - 56.18, Anya Goeders - 56.32

Isabel was also the fastest American in the 200 free A final yesterday, dropping over a second from her pre-Jr Pan Pacs PB to come in 3rd in 1:58.94. Actually would have ranked 9th at OT morning heats in this event with that time - faster than Gibson/Manuel/Drabot/Bispo/Chenault and even (a still-recovering) Katie McL's prelims swims at trials!

Did a 100/200 free double to boot in this session, having just anchored Team USA's W 4x200 free relay team to victory over the Aussies! :beer:

Below is a shot of Caitlin helping Isabel with her USA swim cap from yesterday - and hopefully recruiting her at the same time... *winks*

23 Aug 2016

Cassidy on Caitlin's other side could be a promising sign too, even if BearDevil's 99% convinced that she's a shoo-in for future furdette status :p

Heartening to see Ryan working hard on Reece below

26 Aug 2016

Leverenz mentoring Cassidy Bayer & Ruby Martin below - keep up the good work there, Caitlin! :cheer

Caitlin: Two of my favorites! These two killed it in the fly events this week and it has been really fun to play a smart part in their journey. Last day of #jrpanpacs in Maui!

24 Aug 2016

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842716809 said:

With regards to the 2018 incoming freshman class, hope Teri has pointed out Cassidy Bayer, Eva Merrell, Lucie Nordmann, Grace Ariola, Anya Goeders (& others) to Caitlin as potential Baby Bears to keep an eye on during this trip. Also Alex Walsh

Alex Walsh (2019/2020 recruit?) is a big Missy fan, so a pretty good chance that both Walsh sisters would seriously consider Cal - if Teri's interested in recruiting them...along with Penny (in tedbear's wildest fantasy :p) and perhaps Kate Douglass (also looks up to Missy) in that recruiting class... but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves quite yet lol

------

For Young Swimmer Walsh, Ecstasy Followed By Brief Agony At Trials

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/June/27/For-Young-Swimmer-Walsh-Ecstasy-Followed-By-Brief-Agony-At-Trials

------

UPDATE =>

Isabel Ivey: happy national girls & women in sports day!! swimming on team USA has allowed me to build friendships with such an amazing and strong group of girls. #teamusa #NGWSD #YGG #futurebears

bearz012
swimmer19 said:

3. Olwyn Bartis: SwimMAC (Thleen). Incredible range of freestyle (think Drew Kibler, Trey Freeman on the men's side). In the event that we do get her, I think it eliminates the immediate need for Ella Ristic in 2020 as Olwyn herself would be a decent replacement for Chenoa with the exception of the non-CS reported 1650/1000 (holds times of 22.78/49.44/1:46.39/4:46.31 50-500).

8. Madelyn Flickinger (not related to UGA pro Hali): She hails from SwimMAC Carolina, home club of Thleen, if that's any encouragement at all. Strongest event looks to be her 100 free, 49.81 leading off the 400FRR in Knoxville. Solid backstrokes (54.27/1:56.98), and Winter Jrs cuts in the 200 breast and both IMs.
NORTH CAROLINA:
Julia Menkhaus, Noah Henderson, Ben Scott Lead NC 3A States Psych Sheets
- Olwyn Bartis (2019, Charlotte Catholic): 200 free (1 seed), 100 free (1 seed)
- Maddy Flickinger (2019, Weddington): 200 IM (1 seed), 100 back (2 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-north-carolina-3a-hs-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-08.pdf

Grace Countie, Max Edwards, Kenna Haney Highlight NC 4A States Psych Sheet

Lyndsey Reeve, Ross Dant, John Day Lead NC 1A/2A States Psych Sheets
Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-north-carolina-1a2a-hs-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf

COLORADO:
Fossil Ridge Poised to Defend Colorado High School Title
COLORADO GIRLS HS STATE: PREVIEW AND SCORING THE PSYCH SHEET
(5A):
- Coleen Gillilan (2019, Fossil Ridge): 200 free (1 seed), 100 fly (1 seed)

- Meredith Rees (2019, Lewis-Palmer): 100 free (2 seed), 100 back (10 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://cdn.swimswam.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-5A-girls-swim-psych-sheets.pdf
bearz012

Kaitlynn: "I am so excited to announce my verbal commitment to University of Kentucky to continue my athletic and academic career in 2019! Thank you to everyone who supported me throughout the years! I can't wait to be a part of the Wildcat family! #GOCATS"

HS JUNIOR KAITLYNN WHEELER VERBALLY COMMITS TO KENTUCKY

CS ranking as of verbal: #40 Nat, #1 IL
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Kaitlynn: "I am so excited to announce my verbal commitment to University of Kentucky to continue my athletic and academic career in 2019! Thank you to everyone who supported me throughout the years! I can't wait to be a part of the Wildcat family! #GOCATS"
Is she of relation to 2018 UofL commit/2021 recruits Kaylee and Krista Wheeler (cousins)?
bearz012
swimmer19 said:

Is she of relation to 2018 UofL commit/2021 recruits Kaylee and Krista Wheeler (cousins)?
Probably not - she's from Illinois and Kaylee is from Kentucky, I believe. Don't trust me on this one, I could be 100% wrong.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

The reason why I didn't put Kate Douglass on the list is because I'm not sure she's even looking at Cal. I'm thinking she's a UVA lean ... where former NC State coach Todd Desorbo has been recruiting a bunch of sprinters and doing well with their current sprinters.

Maddie Donohoe seems to be looking at UVA. She's good friends with Kate Douglass, so that may affect her decision making.

Still haven't given up on Kate wearing the blue & gold, but at the same time preparing to face the bleak possibility of her favouring the farm...although reckon Douglass' academics would be very well catered to by the Cavaliers, Blue Devils or Tar Heels, and would naturally cheer her on to choosing these fine institutions, or ASU & UofA, over LSJU & '$C!

I'm also warming up quite a bit to this pair as of late ...
  • 1) Mary Smutny (#8 Nat, #2 FL)
    Mary may or may not be considering recruiting trips to check out the Cavaliers, Wolfpack, Gators & Seminoles (in addition to Bears).
  • 2) Miranda Heckman (#16 Nat, #2 CA)

swimmer19 said:

Kate Douglass: I don't think I ever had any inclinations of her coming here, but rather her staying on the East Coast, where it would better fit her, hence my inclinations of her leaning towards UVA/UNC.

Also would like to note that Kate D. has also followed a number of UVA swimmers, including Jen Marrkand, Erin Earley, Kyla Valls, Emma Seiberlich, Morgan Hill, and Maddy Vonderhaar.

So, I'm assuming UVA, $C are the notable ones on her radar..

(edit: quoted posts)

Well, UVA's official swim/dive account + their coaches have very exuberantly gushed on social media about an hour ago: "HUGE addition to the UVA Women's Swimming family tonight! #add #2019 #virginia"!

(bearz - cheers for the heads up on the above)

Cavaliers/Wahoos already looking to be a fast-rising programme ever since Todd replaced Augie, making considerable inroads in their recruiting right from the get-go.

My gut feeling is that the HUGE addition has to be someone who can give their team a massive boost straightaway, in which case the first name that leapt immediately to mind was Kate Douglass.

Alternative candidates put forward by several members of this board include Maddie Donohoe, Mary Smutny & Kelly Pash...

Well reckon we'll find out soon enough about the identity of this BIG mystery verbal of theirs... *cue tense background music* :p
bearz012
bearz012 said:

NORTH CAROLINA:
Julia Menkhaus, Noah Henderson, Ben Scott Lead NC 3A States Psych Sheets
- Olwyn Bartis (2019, Charlotte Catholic): 200 free (1 seed), 100 free (1 seed)
- Maddy Flickinger (2019, Weddington): 200 IM (1 seed), 100 back (2 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-north-carolina-3a-hs-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-08.pdf
Julia Menkhaus Leads Charlotte Catholic Girls, Marvin Ridge Boys Victorious at NC 3A State Championships

On Thursday in Cary, North Carolina, the NC 3A public high schools met up to compete against each other in the state championship meet.

Charlotte Catholic's return to 3A competition ended in victory for their women's team, as they took first with 298 points. Last year's champions Marvin Ridge finished second with 240 points, with the East Chapel Hill women finishing third with 197 points.

Charlotte Catholic continued winning, as Olwyn Bartis was victorious in the 200 free in a 1:48.64. Anna Durak of Hickory joined Bartis under 1:50 with a 1:49.81, while Marvin Ridge's Ellie Vannote took third in a 1:50.06.

T.C. Roberson's Grace Reeder won the women's 200 IM, storming home in a 28.62 to overtake Weddington's Maddy Flickinger for the gold. Reeder finished with a 2:04.51 to Flickinger's 2:04.81. East Chapel Hill's Sydney Morgan (2:05.55) was third.

Bartis won her second event of the evening in the 100 free, as the sole woman under 51 seconds with a time of 50.69. Weddington's Corbi couldn't repeat as champion, but placed second with a 51.37. Charlotte Catholic put up two swimmers on the podium, as Bartis was joined by teammate Stout who took third.

Weddington was victorious in the 200 free relay, just edging out Charlotte Catholic by three tenths. The team of Flickinger, Amelia Kudela, Kelsey Tolchin, and Corbi finished with a 1:36.15 to Catholic's 1:36.45. Marvin Ridge took third with a 1:37.91.

Charlotte Catholic won their second relay of the day in the 400 free relay, touching two seconds ahead of the field in a 3:28.43. Julia Menkhaus finished her senior season four-for-four in state championships, as she led the team out in 51.50. Teammates Victoria Dichak, Madeline Menkhaus, and Bartis helped Julia reach this accomplishment. Bartis's split of 50.60 was the fastest in the field. Weddington placed second with a 3:30.67, with Marvin Ridge (3:34.24) finishing third.

Live results: http://triangleaquatics.org/event_results/Feb08-18/

-----
bearz012 said:

NORTH CAROLINA:
Lyndsey Reeve, Ross Dant, John Day Lead NC 1A/2A States Psych Sheets
Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-north-carolina-1a2a-hs-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf

Emme Nelson, Ross Dant Each Clock Two 1A/2A State Records at NCHSAA State Champs

Live results: http://triangleaquatics.org/event_results/Feb09-18/

-----
bearz012 said:

NORTH CAROLINA:
Grace Countie, Max Edwards, Kenna Haney Highlight NC 4A States Psych Sheet
Lilly Higgs, Heidi Lowe Lead Hough Women to NC 4A State Title

Full results: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-north-carolina-4a-high-school-states-results-high-school-2018-02-10.pdf
bearz012
bearz012 said:

TENNESSEE:
WALSH SISTERS, TREY FREEMAN, AND ALLIE RAAB HIGHLIGHT TISCA PSYCHS
Alex Walsh, Allie Raab 100 Breast Race Highlights Tennessee HS Psych Sheets

- Alex Walsh (2020, Harpeth Hall): 200 free (2 seed), 100 breast (1 seed)
- Ella Nelson (2019, Harpeth Hall): 200 IM (2 seed), 500 free (2 seed)
- Gretchen Walsh (2021, Harpeth Hall): 50 free (2 seed), 100 back (3 seed)

Ella taking on a brutal double, and I reckon that Gretchen & Alex will probably win the 50 and 200 free, respectively, as they are seeded much lower than their PBs.

- Addison Smith (2019, Baylor School): 200 free (1 seed), 500 free (1 seed)
- Ellie Waldrep (2021, Baylor School): 100 fly (12 seed), 100 back (1 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-tennessee-high-school-states-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf

HARPETH HALL GIRLS BREAK OVERALL NAT'L HS RECORD IN 200 MEDLEY RELAY
Harpeth Hall (Home of the Walsh Sisters) Demolishes 200 Medley Relay National Independent School Record

The Harpeth Hall girls broke the national overall high school record tonight at the TISCA HS Championships in the 200 medley relay. With Alex Walsh and Gretchen Walsh bookending the relay, along with Ella Nelson and Alex Massey, the girls took down both the national independent high school record (private schools) that was previously held by Sacred Heart Academy in Kentucky, along with the overall national record, which was held by an incredible quartet of girls from Carmel High School in Indiana.

Harpeth Hall went 1:38.77, faster than the 1:39.25 done by Carmel in February of 2015 as well as the 1:40.61 done by Sacred Heart in February of 2016.

Alex Walsh's 24.37 lead-off backstroke leg was the clear standout leg for Harpeth Hall, over a second ahead of both Sacred Heart's and Carmel's lead-offs.

SPLITS: Alex Walsh: 24.37, Ella Nelson: 28.27, Alex Massey: 24.49, Gretchen Walsh: 21.64

-----

NATIONAL RECORDS FALL ON NIGHT 1 OF TISCA CHAMPIONSHIPS
Harpeth Hall Girls, Baylor Boys Dominate First Half of Tennessee HS State Meet

Alex Walsh was 24.37 leading off Harpeth Hall's 200 medley relay, followed by Ella Nelson's 28.27, Alex Massey's 24.49, and Gretchen Walsh's 21.64 to go 1:38.77 and break Carmel's overall record and beat Sacred Heart's independent record. Alex Walsh was back the very next event to win the 200 free (1:45.93), and then Nelson held off Brentwood Academy's Allie Raab in the 200 IM, 1:58.31 and 1:58.56.

Gretchen Walsh was back in the 50 free, taking the title in 22.26 over her Harpeth Hall teammate Ophelia Pilkinton (22.85).

In the final girls' race of the night, Riley Gaines of Station Camp went 54.16 in the 100 fly to touch out Harpeth Hall's Alex Massey (54.28).

-----

Live Results: http://results.teamunify.com/sepac/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

[
  • 2) Miranda Heckman (#16 Nat, #2 CA)
    Some of our swim rivals vying for Miranda's commitment may include the Furdettes, Trojanettes, Hoosiers, Aggies & Horns. Heckman's from the same club team as swim alumna Celina & Baby Bear Chris J.

Miranda was hanging out at Uytengsu Aquatics Ctr today (Trojans pool), incidentally.

Looks like Miranda Heckman's currently making her rounds of unofficial trips ... spotted @ Spieker yesterday, I'm sure she received a very warm welcome from all our Bears!
swimmer19 said:

Miranda roomed with 2018 UGA commit Maddie Homovich at Junior Worlds this past summer in Indy. Wonder if any of those influences are rubbing off on her yet?

Well wonder no longer, swimmer19 - Miranda paid a visit to Gabrielsen Natatorium today...i.e. the Dawgs are going after her too.
bearz012
bearz012 said:

COLORADO:
Fossil Ridge Poised to Defend Colorado High School Title
COLORADO GIRLS HS STATE: PREVIEW AND SCORING THE PSYCH SHEET
(5A):
- Coleen Gillilan (2019, Fossil Ridge): 200 free (1 seed), 100 fly (1 seed)

- Meredith Rees (2019, Lewis-Palmer): 100 free (2 seed), 100 back (10 seed)

Full psych sheet: https://cdn.swimswam.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-5A-girls-swim-psych-sheets.pdf

FOSSIL RIDGE GIRLS TAKE DOWN DAY-OLD 200 MEDLEY RELAY HS NAT'L RECOR
Fossil Ridge Girls Crush National HS Record in 200 Medley Relay

Bayley Stewart, Zoe Bartel, Coleen Gillilan, and Kylee Alons combined for a 1:38.13, more than half a second faster than the 1:38.77 done by Harpeth Hall last night at the TISCA Champs.

Bartel had a great 27.43 split and Gillilan was very strong with her 23.43 split, too, as the middle 100 was the difference-maker for Fossil Ridge. They take down Carmel's public high school record, and while Harpeth Hall lost the overall record, they still own the independent record.

------

Fossil Ridge Sets National Record, Defends Colorado 5A State Title

CHSAA 5A RECAP: FOSSIL RIDGE SCORES MOST POINTS IN STATE MEET HISTORY
Gillilan, the only non-senior on the record setting relay, rode the momentum. The junior won the 200 freestyle in 1:46.98. Chatfield freshman Kathryn Shanley was second in 1:52.16 and Fairview junior Mikayla Seigal finished third (1:52.60). Gillian returned for another impressive, dominant performance in the 100 butterfly- finishing in 52.57. Mountain Vista's Natalie Arky (55.67) and Gillilan's sophomore teammate Caraline Baker (55.85) rounded out the podium.

-----

Rampart Takes Home Colorado High School 4A State Championship
CHSAA 4A RECAP: RAMPART BREAKS 4A RECORD EN ROUTE TO TAKING TEAM TITLE

Amanda Blickensderfer Wins Four At Colorado Girls 3A High School States
CHSAA 3A RECAP: LONGMONT'S DEPTH CLEARS THE WAY FOR 3A TITLE

Live results: http://chsaanow.com/2018-02-08/live-results-girls-swimming-diving-state-championships-2018/
bearz012
bearz012 said:

INDIANA:
Carmel Girls Chase 32nd Straight Indiana High School State Title
- Kelly Pash (2019, Carmel): 200 free (1 seed), 100 free (1 seed)

Kelly may be going after the state records set by Claire (1:45.09) and Amy (48.36)

- Elsa Fretz (2021, Northridge): 200 free (5 seed): 1:49.26, 100 free (49.86) - impressive times as a freshmen
- Mallory Jackson (2020, Carroll Fort Wayne): 200 IM (4 seed), 100 back (2 seed) - #65 on CS, could potentially win both events with her PBs
- Elizabeth Broshears (2020, Evansville Reitz Memorial): 50 free (1 seed), 100 fly (1 seed) - has a sub 23 50 free time

Full psych sheet: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-indiana-high-school-girls-state-champs-psych-sheet-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf

Carmel Snags Four Top Seeds in Prelims of 2018 Indiana Girls High School States
EMILY WEISS BREAKS INDIANA HS BREASTSTROKE RECORD IN PRELIMS

Kelly Pash went a 1:45.65 to earn the 200 freestyle top spot for Carmel. Kay Foley (1:47.68) of Munster, and Northridge freshman Elsa Fretz (1:48.09) follow. Pash is well ahead in the 100 free after a 48.87 tonight. Fretz (50.10) took second in prelims. Foely posted a 4:48.02 in the 500 freestyle tonight.

-----

CARMEL CRUISES TO 32ND-STRAIGHT INDIANA STATE TITLE
Emily Weiss Sets National Record, Carmel Girls Win 32nd Straight Indiana High School Championship

Pash went two for two on state titles, running away with the 200 free. The junior touched in 1:45.50, less than a half second shy of Claire Adams' state record. Northridge freshman Elsa Fretz finished second in 1:47.52 and third place went to Munster's Kay Foley in 1:48.09.

Pash picked up her third gold meal of the afternoon when she touched the wall in 48.59, over a second ahead of second place finisher Fretz in 49.64. Pash finished two tenths shy of Amy Bilquist's state record, a 48.36. With Pash having a season left, and Fretz only a freshman, that record could be in jeopardy in the coming seasons.

Northridge led the way through prelims and had just enough to hold on for the win in finals. Fretz (22.95), Kenzie Weber (24.39), Jenna Nethercutt (23.69), and Lauren Miller (23.05) touched in 1:34.07 for the state title. Carmel dropped four tenths from prelims but Pangburn (23.61), Colleen Duffy (23.92), Avery Williams (23.25), and Alyssa Conley's (23.50) 1:34.28 wasn't quite enough as the team finished second.

-----

Splash Through the 2018 Indiana Girls HS State Championships Photo Gallery

Live results: https://iunat.iupui.edu/content/Other-Information/LiveResults/index.htm
bearz012
bearz012 said:

NATIONAL RECORDS FALL ON NIGHT 1 OF TISCA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Alex Walsh was 24.37 leading off Harpeth Hall's 200 medley relay, followed by Ella Nelson's 28.27, Alex Massey's 24.49, and Gretchen Walsh's 21.64 to go 1:38.77 and break Carmel's overall record and beat Sacred Heart's independent record. Alex Walsh was back the very next event to win the 200 free (1:45.93), and then Nelson held off Brentwood Academy's Allie Raab in the 200 IM, 1:58.31 and 1:58.56.

Gretchen Walsh was back in the 50 free, taking the title in 22.26 over her Harpeth Hall teammate Ophelia Pilkinton (22.85).

In the final girls' race of the night, Riley Gaines of Station Camp went 54.16 in the 100 fly to touch out Harpeth Hall's Alex Massey (54.28).

-----

Live Results: http://results.teamunify.com/sepac/

ALEX WALSH HITS 58.8 BREAST, FREEMAN GOES 4:15 500 AT TISCA CHAMPS
Alex Walsh Sets National Mark; Harpeth Hall Girls, Baylor Boys Win Tennessee HS States

On the 2nd night of the 2018 TISCA Championships, Harpeth Hall's Alex Walsh and Baylor School's Trey Freeman stole the show again.

Walsh, who was part of a national high school record last night and won the 200 free shortly after, swam a 58.88 to win the 100 breast tonight. 2nd was Allie Raab of Brentwood Academy in 1:01.22. Walsh also anchored Harpeth Hall's 400 free relay with a 48.78 the relay won the meet in 3:22.47.

Harpeth Hall also won the 200 free relay in 1:31.38, powered by Alex Walsh's sister Gretchen Walsh's 21.68 anchor leg. Gretchen Walsh also won the 100 backstroke in a best time of 52.85, a marked improvement from her 54.25 previous PR done in December at Winter Junior Champs. Ophelia Pilkinton was yet another winner for Harpeth Hall, going 50.05 to take the 100 free.

Harpeth Hall girls and Baylor School boys are the 2018 TISCA team champions.

Full results: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-tennessee-high-school-states-results-high-school-2018-02-09.pdf
bearz012
bearz012 said:

Katharine Berkoff adds new swimming record to already glowing resume

When the starting buzzer sounded, Berkoff exploded off the block into her powerful underwater start. As she streamlined below the surface, she exerted forceful dolphin kicks. She was the last to break the surface, in similar fashion to her Olympic gold medal-winning father, David Berkoff.
Missoula Hellgate Dominates 2018 Montana High School States

The records kept rolling into the 100 freestyle where Katharine Berkoff, a junior at Hellgate, touched in 50.01 for first. The Hellgate team (names were not available) took down the state mark in the 200 free relay with a 1:38.54. Berkoff kept rolling, clocking an impressive state record of 52.80 to win the 100 backstroke. Junior teammate Aidan Condit was the only other swimmer under a minute, finishing in 58.33.

Full Results: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/pdf/2018-montana-high-school-states-results-high-school-2018-02-10.pdf

https://instagr.am/p/BfCvccJgZ7F
bearz012
swimmer19 said:

-Emma Sticklen (2020, Katy Aquatic Club, Katy, TX): Primarily fly/free (sprinter), with a strong 100 back. Also big short course swimmer. She broke Cammile Adam's pool record (100 fly) at high school regionals last year as a freshie, if that isn't indicative of her talent. Also an NISCA All-American, UIL (basically TX's CIF) Academic All-State, and finaled in every single event she swam at 2017 Winter Juniors minus 100 free (2nd alternate). Huge improvement curve as well. I have attached a pic of her and Emma Stephenson, 2019 TX recruit, both are also friends with Emma Carlton (2018 TAMU Commit). I work with the UIL specifically with her school district, which explains my in-depth-ness on her.

-Lillie Nordmann (2020, Magnolia Aquatic Club, The Woodlands, TX): She's the sister of Lucie (Furd commit), so that will make a heavy impact on her decision. Also was spotted with a Furd t-shirt on as well... May be influenced by Kaitlynn Sims, the two are club teammates, and Emily Reese, longhorns swimmer. She's an excellent flyer/freestyler (broke 1:00 in the LC 100 fly this past weekend for the first time!) and holds a sufficient IM. Brings in lots of relay value as well.

Some underrated TX recruits:

-Ella Collins (2019, Austin Swim Club, ATX): Another Texas recruit. She's very well suited in her event(s), 100/200 free. More than proficient back/fly. Literally BFFs with the ASC crew (Kendall Shields (lady longhorns 2018 commit), Diana Dunn (UofL 2018 commit), Dakota Luther (UGA 2018 commit)), so that will influence her decision in one way or another.

-Katherine Zenick (2020, Lakeside Aquatic Club, Southlake, TX): Same event repertoire as Emma Sticklen (similar times minus freestyles), but with a nicely added 200/400IM as well. However, she's high school teammates with 2018 Furd commit Jack LeVant and 2018 Horns commit Alex Zettle, so...??? Also was club teammates with current furdie Lauren Pitzer.

-Emma Wheal (2019, Western Hills Athletic Club, ATX): Her coach is Ian Crocker, Horns alum, so that may be played in the game. HS teammates with Dakota Luther and Morgan Johnson, the latter of whom is headed to GTech. Sprint everything (minus breast), so briings in high relay values.

-Kaitlynn Sims (2019, Magnolia Aquatic Club, Montgomery(??), TX): So. No HS connections (rather isolated part of the HTX metro area), club teammates with Lucie and Lillie Nordmann, the former of whom will be reppin the Furd. Also former teammates with Emily Reese, current lady longhorn swimmer. Big-time distance swimmer and great 4IMer.

-Most TX teams competing, lack their all-star guys, and I'm not as familiar with the boys who competed here, so I'm not going to mention anything due to my lack of familiarity with them.
swimmer19 said:

2019:

1. Ella Collins (Austin Swim Club): She swam a 1:46.83 in the 200 free. Leads everyone going into state. I would say that I have her on my list, in addition to the in-staters that we have been frequently talking about.

2. Sydney Stanford/Beth McNeese (Cy-Fair Swimming/Katy Aquatics): I'm going to talk about them both at the same time, given that they're from the same region.

3. Emma Stephenson (Dad's Club): She's one of the members of the "Emma-cubed" trio (Emma Carlton and Emma Sticklen being the others). She swam a solid 50 free/100 fly, the latter having her seeded as #2 behind Sticklen. Also seeded #2 I think in the 50.

4. Emma Wheal (Western Hills): Seeded #3 in the 50 free, but managed to make the 100 free callups list. Solid times overall, was a medalist in both these events last year at state.

2020:

1. Emma Sticklen (Katy Aquatics): I'm putting her as another must-get for 2020 behind Alex Walsh. She broke her pool AND region record TWICE this weekend (prelims/finals), once in a practice suit. She's seeded #1 in the 100 fly, and a respectable #3 in the 100 back.

2. Hannah Bellina (Pearland): Her sister, Jaden, swims for Auburn. However, brings in a very intriguing set order of the 200/500 free. Solid times as well, she is a repeat state qualifier.

3. Valerie Ann Staffeldt (The Woodlands): Her primary events are the 50/100 free. Seeded #1 in the 50, and #5 in the 100. Was part of the state medalist 200 medley/free relays last year as well.

A bit ways off, but a 2021 recruit I want to introduce is Ana Herceg, from the Austin area (Nitro). She swims in the 5A meet (I think), so I don't have any of her times readily available. However, reports are that she did blast a 1:49 point 200 yard freestyle, and she's only 14! Her development is similar to that of 2018 Louisville commit Diana Dunn, who went a 1:50 high when she was 13.

TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP HEAT SHEETS & PREVIEW

6A:

- Kaitlynn Sims (2019, Montgomery): 200 IM, 500 free
- Ella Collins (2019, Anderson): 200 free, 100 free
- Sydney Stanford (2019, Cypress Woods): 200 free, 100 free
- Emma Stephenson (2019, Houston Stratford): 50 free, 100 fly
- Emma Wheal (2019, Austin Westlake): 50 free, 100 free
- Lillie Nordmann (2020, The Woodlands): 200 IM, 100 fly
- Emma Sticklen (2020, Allen): 100 fly, 100 back
- Katherine Zenick (2020, Southlake Carroll): 100 fly, 100 back
- Cory Shanks (2021, LC Clear Creek): 200 free, 50 free

Psych sheet: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-swimming-diving/6a_heat_sheet.pdf
swimmer19
Regan Smith: Swimming Into Her Dreams

This was posted a while back, but in the article, it mentions that Regan is now taking classes online. Any idea how that may affect admissions at the Farm?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

Regan Smith: Swimming Into Her Dreams

This was posted a while back, but in the article, it mentions that Regan is now taking classes online. Any idea how that may affect admissions at the Farm?
Cheers for the reminder, swimmer19!

My (admittedly massively limited) understanding is that LSJU does traditionally frown upon accepting home-schooled student-athletes, at least to a greater extent than other non-Ivies schools.

Hopefully the real authorities on this topic can chime in here

Now as to how much Regan's online classes would be counted as home-schooling by TPTB down on the Farm, and whether Meehan has enough pull with their Admissions Office to make an exception for a recruit who the swimming programme really, really wants... ??

So for now, I'd like to optimistically believe that we may still have a shot with what's likely going to be the #2 recruit of the 2020 class, in spite of her having "shown off" all decked out in Furd sweats.

Another potentially promising Cal connection, from the aforementioned article & social media hints (or am I trying to read too much into this as usual lol):

"It took me a couple of days for that to sink in, and (Olympic and World backstroke silver medalist) Kathleen (Baker) and all of my teammates and coaches were really supportive, but I never want that to happen again."
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Fly:

Mary Smutny (#7 Nat, #2 FL) - AquaKids Sharks Swim Team
- best all-around flyer in this class, solid 100/200/500 frees as well

swimmer19

https://instagr.am/p/BfMlU4jhIVF
Quite different from our original prediction... I remember that she planned to take visits to UVA, UF, FSU, NCS, and here.

Anyways, we're at 2-1 on our list of projected recruits.
tedbear
I'm okay with this. We have our butterflyer in Cassidy. KB3 please!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.