Early look at 2021 Men's Swimming Recruiting

30,320 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With 2019 recruits showing up in September, 2020 recruiting mostly complete, and with Swimswam having already posted their early rankings for this class (current high school rising juniors) I thought I would start a discussion about this recruit cycle.

A couple of opening observations:

1) The eastern seaboard states (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia) have multiple top tier prospects, and relatively few in Texas, Florida and California. This is not particularly bad news for Cal as we have had notable recent success in luring top tier studs (Andrew Seliskar, Mike Thomas, Mike Jensen, Reece Whitley) to Cal. A common thread in their successful recruitment is families that place a high value on education. There are also several blue chip guys in the Heartland, where Texas (and other top programs) have more success.

2) Texas and Cal are head and shoulders ahead of the competition. Programs like Michigan, NC State, USC, Florida, Indiana have had fine years but have not been able to attain consistency. This won't change in the next couple of years.

3) But, Eddie Reese will be 78 in July 2019. Which means he will be 84 years old when the class 21 recruits are tapering for the final NCAAs in March 2025. Coaching a top tier D1 program takes a lot of energy. So, just what is Reese telling this recruiting class?

4) Swimswam does not list international guys as does Collegeswimming, and I don't have any insight as to potential non-US targets. But I do know that our staff highly values international athletes for athletic talent as well as intangibles they bring to the program. I think we will continue to see international guys on the roster, as long as they can live with relatively small amounts of financial aid.

5) The MO of the staff is to primarily focus on a handful (8-10) of top recruits with the times and grades to make an impact. Obviously if a great student and good swimmer is willing to walk-on, exceptions are made.

So, a couple of names we should look out for to see if we can get them on campus for official visits:

No.1 on my personal wish list is Anthony Grimm from Fairfax, VA., the same general area as Andrew Seliskar. Grimm currently holds the best time in the recruiting class in the 100 back, 100 breast and 50 free.

Another guy who I believe is on the radar is Aiden Hayes from Norman, OK, the best flyer in the class. I am hoping Sooner antipathy towards longhorns works in our favor.

Matthew Fallon from Warren, NJ is a 400 IM stud who also shows potential in the 200 breast.

Kamal Muhammad from Atlanta, GA is an interesting sprint prospect. His father is Sabir Muhammed who starred as a flyer and freestyler at Stanford in the 90s.

A local guy who has been noticed is local breaststroke stud Jacob Soderlund who attends Monte Vista High in Danville. Jacob finished 2nd in the 100 breast at the 2019 CIF championships this past May.

Happy to hear from anyone else.
swimmer19
On the go, so these thoughts are a bit rushed. Thanks for starting the thread, Swan!

2021 is a key year for Cal swimming. Losing our star-studded sophomores means we will need to replace Ryan Hoffer, Sean Grieshop, Bryce Mefford, Daniel Carr, Trenton Julian, Nate Biondi, James Daugherty, and divers Jackson Gabler and Johnny Robinson. Sprint free (Hoffer/Biondi), distance/IM (Grieshop/Julian), fly (Julian), and backstroke (Carr/Mefford) are key holes for the coaches to fill.

Good starting wish list. Some other names of interest using SwimSwam's rankings:
- #4 Joshua Matheny - Breast/IM - from Pittsburgh, PA, so Reece/Thomas/Jensen connection
- #5 Jack Alexy and #7 David Pennington - Sprint free/back - Alexy's from NJ, and Pennington is from northern PA/southern NJ, so hopefully 2020 commits Dare Rose and Destin Lasco can work on them a bit
- #6 Tyler Lu - Back/IM - Seattle crew (Kyle Millis, Sarah DiMeco, Gracie Felner)
- #8 Tim Connery - back/breast/IM? - SwimMac, friends with 2020 commits Rose and Lasco from Junior Team trips
- #11 Hayden Zheng - Breast/IM - from Minneapolis, teammate with 2020 commit Isabelle Stadden and fellow 2021 recruit Abby Kapeller

Dave surely can't afford all of SwimSwam's top 10, but at least a few of these guys must be at the top of his list. Anthony Grimm is definitely the must get, with Hayes not far behind. Durden can then cherry pick off the top 20/locals/fast risers based on money offers and team needs.
swimmer19
Bears hosting some recruits from Labor Day weekend:

Not sure who's who, but judging from (most likely erroneous) facial recognition, looks like #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Kopp (#53 Nat, #2 TX -2020), #4 Joshua Matheny, Corby Furrer (#75 Nat, #3 TX), and possibly Parker Nolan and Connor Boyle were also on campus last weekend.
Schroeder71
The picture certainly looks encouraging...Durden & Co does a great job of recruiting almost every year.
GO BEARS!
swimmer19
#4 Josh Matheny and #7 David Curtiss confirmed to have visited UVA last weekend (9/13/19). #9 Garrett Boone possibly in attendance at Charlottesville last week.

EDIT: Looks like Matheny may not have been on campus over Labor Day weekend, as he was spotted in Austin instead.

L-R: #4 Josh Matheny, David Johnston (#59 Nat, #3 TX), ?, ?, #10 Luke Barr, #17 Arsenio Bustos, Sam Henke (#690 Nat, #9 CT - 2020), #15 Matthew Fenlon
swimmer19
2nd Texas recruiting weekend (9/8/19):

https://instagr.am/p/B2KIpvVnQB2
L-R: #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Hulet (#84 Nat, #4 TX), #8 Tim Connery, #1 Anthony Grimm, #5 Jack Alexy, #16 Peter Thompson, Trey Dickey (#55 Nat, N1 TX)
BRBear
Gah Jesus. Well there's no way they can afford all of them right??
swimmer19
NC State making a move for the top recruits early: #17 Arsenio Bustos verbaled two weeks ago, with #2 Aiden Hayes announcing his commitment to the Wolfpack earlier tonight:

AIDEN HAYES, #2 IN CLASS OF 2021, VERBALLY COMMITS TO NC STATE WOLFPACK

-----------

#17 ARSENIO BUSTOS SENDS VERBAL TO NC STATE CLASS OF 2025

--------------
Meanwhile, #7 David Curtiss was in Raleigh this past weekend, having also visited Alabama and Virginia in the weeks preceding.
OBear073akaSMFan
Like their women counterparts the SEC and ACC are really successfully going after the 2021 recruits!
HBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Like their women counterparts the SEC and ACC are really with success going the underclass recruits!
Holy cow. As of today, four of the top 20 boys' commits to NC State...
swimmer19
HBear said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Like their women counterparts the SEC and ACC are really with success going the underclass recruits!
Holy cow. As of today, four of the top 20 boys' commits to NC State...
Joining #2 Hayes and #17 Bustos in the Wolfpack class of 2025: #12 Sam Hoover and #9 Garrett Boone, both out of NC.

VIA INSTAGRAM LIVE, #12 SAM HOOVER ANNOUNCES VERBAL TO NC STATE FOR 2021

------------------

#9 GARRETT BOONE IS NC STATE'S THIRD MALE TOP-20 VERBAL COMMIT FOR 2021

HBear
I'd assume that with such an incredible class for Cal -- paralleling NCSU's early get of 4 of the top 20 c/o 2025, the outgoing senior class that year (Hoffer, Julian, Carr, Mefford, Grieshop) of five of the class' top 20 c/o 2021 -- Durden/Cal have a lot of $ room to wiggle in recruiting and attracting the now juniors, beyond the education and NCAA/Olympic achievements, of course. Hoping tides turn for Bear territory soon! (Not to be overly worried at this point, but simply something to observe in the face of so many commitments in the matter of a few days.)
swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

#4 Josh Matheny and #7 David Curtiss confirmed to have visited UVA last weekend (9/13/19). #9 Garrett Boone possibly in attendance at Charlottesville last week.

EDIT: Looks like Matheny may not have been on campus over Labor Day weekend, as he was spotted in Austin instead.
Josh Matheny: I'm extremely excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my athletic and academic career at Indiana University. I would like to thank my family, coaches, and friends for their support. Go Hoosiers!!! #hoosierdaddy

#4 IN 2021, WORLD JR CHAMP JOSH MATHENY MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT INDIANA

So long as it's not Hooville or Austin, as much as it is to the Hoosiers...

--------------------------

David Curtiss posted on IG that he will be announcing his verbal commitment tomorrow night at 8PM, if anyone is interested.
HBear
swimmer19 said:

David Curtiss posted on IG that he will be announcing his verbal commitment tomorrow night at 8PM, if anyone is interested.
Another one. Holy smokes.

https://swimswam.com/wolfpack-grab-another-7-david-curtiss-verbally-commits-to-nc-state-2021/

swan

#1 RECRUIT IN HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2021 ANTHONY GRIMM MAKES COLLEGE CHOICE

https://swimswam.com/1-recruit-in-high-school-class-of-2021-anthony-grimm-makes-college-choice/

Crap. This really sucks. He was on campus this past weekend as well.
OBear073akaSMFan
swan said:

Probably wasn't excited about the football team!
swimmer19
swan said:

https://swimswam.com/1-recruit-in-high-school-class-of-2021-anthony-grimm-makes-college-choice/

Quite late, so sincere apologies, but 2nd round of Bear Bro visitors on campus last weekend:

#10 Luke Barr, #5 Jack Alexy, #1 Anthony Grimm, Daniel Worth (#27 Nat), HM Kamal Muhammad, #13 Trent Frandson
swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

Not sure who's who, but judging from (most likely erroneous) facial recognition, looks like #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Kopp (#53 Nat, #2 TX -2020), #4 Joshua Matheny, Corby Furrer (#75 Nat, #3 TX), and possibly Parker Nolan and Connor Boyle were also on campus during the long weekend.
Quite late yet again...

Jack Aikins: I'm thrilled to announce my verbal commitment to the University of Virginia! I'm so excited to train with some of the best coaches and athletes in the nation and see what we can do together! Thanks to coach Landon, my friends, and family for giving me the opportunity to be a part of such a prestigious university with an outstanding swim program

UVA GETS STARTED ON CLASS OF 2025 WITH VERBAL FROM #18 JACK AIKINS

bearz012
swimmer19 said:

Quite late, so sincere apologies, but 2nd round of Bear Bro visitors on campus last weekend:

#10 Luke Barr, #5 Jack Alexy, #1 Anthony Grimm, Daniel Worth (#27 Nat), ?, #13 Trent Frandson

First Bear commit

#5 Jack Alexy: "It is with excitement and gratitude that I announce my verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley. I have been humbled by this whole process and have met some amazing people along the way. Cal has that perfect combination of academic excellence and world class swimming I was looking for. Special thanks to my family, all of my coaches throughout the years, and my teammates - both past and present - for their guidance, support, and friendship. Go Bears!!"

https://instagr.am/p/B4I7r46pwLrlx2uIRB2BZQzcF1cetBbwbpdErQ0

Via SwimSwam:
Quote:

This class is loaded with great sprinters, and Alexy is the best three-distance sprinter of the bunch. He's got the class's best 100 free to pair with a 200 free only a few tenths out of being the top time in the class. And his 50 free might even be better than that 200 he just happens to fall among a bunch of historically fast high school 50 guys. Alexy seems to be just starting to figure out the upper end of his range. While his 50 and 100 have had moderate drops, his 200 cut from 1:40.9 to 1:36.8 and his 500 from 5:15 to 4:26 over his sophomore year. His backstrokes probably won't pass up his freestyles as event focuses, but his 200 back does rank pretty highly in the class at this point.
Go bears!!!
HBear
bearz012 said:

swimmer19 said:

#10 Luke Barr, #5 Jack Alexy, #1 Anthony Grimm, Daniel Worth (#27 Nat), ?, #13 Trent Frandson

First Bear commit

#5 Jack Alexy: "It is with excitement and gratitude that I announce my verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley. I have been humbled by this whole process and have met some amazing people along the way. Cal has that perfect combination of academic excellence and world class swimming I was looking for. Special thanks to my family, all of my coaches throughout the years, and my teammates - both past and present - for their guidance, support, and friendship. Go Bears!!"

Just reported on by SwimSwam

YNATS CHAMPION JACK ALEXY, #5 IN 2021, MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL

swan
swimmer19 said:

swan said:

I believe the unidentified recruit is Kamal Muhammad, "Muhammad is another good sprinter (20.8/44.5) in freestyle, and he's had solid drops as a sophomore. His third event is somewhere between a 48.7 fly and a 1:40.7 200 free." Kamal's father swam at Stanford.
swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

#13 Trent Frandson: "I am honored and excited to announce my verbal commitment to University of California, Berkeley to continue my swimming and academic career with an amazing team and coaching staff. I want to thank my family, coaches and friends for all of the support. GO BEARS"

#13 TRENT FRANDSON MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2021

(#29 Nat, #1 IA) // SwimSwam #13

Welcome, Trent! We are thrilled to have you here.
swimmer19
HM Kai Crews (#56 Nat, #3 CA) -> Cal
swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

2nd Texas recruiting weekend (9/8/19):

L-R: #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Hulet (#84 Nat, #4 TX), #8 Tim Connery, #1 Anthony Grimm, #5 Jack Alexy, #16 Peter Thompson, Trey Dickey (#55 Nat, N1 TX)
#8 Tim Connery: "I'm proud to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of Michigan! Go blue!"

(#6 Nat, #1 NC) // SwimSwam #8
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swan said:

A local guy who has been noticed is local breaststroke stud Jacob Soderlund who attends Monte Vista High in Danville. Jacob finished 2nd in the 100 breast at the 2019 CIF championships this past May.

Welcome to Bear Territory, Jacob Soderlund (#99 Nat, #15 CA)!

"Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of California-Berkeley in 2021! A special thanks to my coach and everyone who has supported me along the way. Can't wait to be a part of the Cal family--Go Bears!"

• UPDATE =>
---------

Jack Alexy, Jacob Soderlund Announce Verbal Commitments to Cal Golden Bears for 2021

The University of California, Berkeley has picked up a pair of verbals for the 2021-22 season and beyond from Jack Alexy and Jacob Soderlund. Both swimmers announced their college choices via CollegeSwimming and will join Kai Crews and Trent Frandson as members of the Golden Bears' class of 2025.

Both swimmers will provide valuable depth for Cal in their respective events. Under head coach Dave Durden, Cal earned their second-straight Pac-12 Championship title and were crowned National Champions after a convincing team win at NCAAs last season.

---------
HBear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

swan said:

Welcome to Bear Territory, Jacob Soderlund (#99 Nat, #15 CA)!

"Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of California-Berkeley in 2021! A special thanks to my coach and everyone who has supported me along the way. Can't wait to be a part of the Cal family--Go Bears!"

Welcome, Jacob! Cheers for the impressive jack-o-lantern work.

SwimSwam writeup here, with particularly astonishing improvement curve detailed below. Bet Durden will make a LCM swimmer out of him!:

CALIFORNIA HS RUNNER-UP JACOB SODERLUND (2021) VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

Concord, California's Jacob Soderlund has announced his verbal commitment to the neighboring University of California, Berkeley for 2021-22. That puts him in a class of 2025 that will also include Jack Alexy and Trent Frandson.

"Super excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of California-Berkeley in 2021! A special thanks to my coach and everyone who has supported me along the way. Can't wait to be a part of the Cal familyGo Bears!"

A USA Swimming Scholastic All-American, Soderlund is a junior at Monte Vista High School in Danville. He won the 100 breast as a sophomore at the 2019 CIF North Coast Section Championships, going 55.03. The next week he competed at the California State High School Meet and came in 2nd with a personal-best 54.24.

Soderlund does his club swimming with Triggerfish Aquatics. He has been on a steep improvement curve over the last year, after having returned to swimming from a 6-year hiatus. This summer he swam LCM for the first time and notched a Winter U.S. Open cut in the 100 breast (1:04.28) and a Winter Juniors cut in the 200 breast (2:25.75) at Speedo Junior Nationals. During his sophomore year of high school he dropped 7.4 seconds in the 200 IM, 6.3 seconds in the 200 breast, 4.8 seconds in the 100 breast, 2.7 seconds in the 100 fly, 1.1 seconds in the 50 free, and 1 second in the 100 free.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

HM Kai Crews (#56 Nat, #3 CA) -> Cal

FINA JUNIOR WORLDS QUALIFIER KAI CREWS MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL

Kaikea ("Kai") Crews has committed to swim for the University of California, Berkeley starting in the fall of 2021. A two-time USA Swimming Scholastic All-American, he attends Truckee High School and swims year-round for Truckee-Tahoe Swim Team where his father Cyrus Crews is the head coach. Crews made our Way Too Early list of boys from the high school class of 2021.

"I am very excited to continue my swimming career with CAL starting the fall of 2021. The team was very welcoming and it felt like the perfect fit for me. It will be a great experience to contribute and grow in this amazing program. Go Bears!

I would like to thank my coaches present and past: Cyrus Crews and the assistant coaches at Truckee Tahoe Swim Team, Jody Burrill and the assistant coaches at Truckee High School, Ivan Petrov, Gyor Hungary, and Reid Yamamoto, Hawaii Swim Club Maui. Also a big thanks to my family in, Truckee, CA, Java, Indonesia, and Maui, Hawaii for all your support. Looking forward to finishing strong with Truckee Tahoe Swim Team, and Truckee High School before continuing my swimming with CAL."

Crews represented Indonesia at the 7th FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Budapest last summer. He competed in the 50/100 free, 50/100/200 back, 50/100 fly, and 200 IM and left the meet with new lifetime bests in the 50/100 back and 50 fly.

Top SCY times:
  • 50 back 22.39
  • 100 back 48.69
  • 200 back 1:46.98
  • 50 free 20.83
  • 100 free 44.69
  • 100 fly 49.13
With his wide range of events, Crews can be helpful to Cal in a number of areas. He's been mostly focused on the sprint freestyles and backstrokes but his 200s have been improving. He will join the Golden Bears with fellow class of 2025 verbal commits Jack Alexy, Jacob Soderlund, and Trent Frandson.
HBear
SASKATECHWAN, CANADA RECORD HOLDER MICHAEL MCGILLIVRAY COMMITS TO CAL

Canadian swimmer Michael McGillivray has verbally committed to Cal, where he is scheduled to begin with the varsity team in the fall of 2021. McGillivray, who swims for the Regina Optimist Dolphins under Abderrahmane Tissira, is one of the top young talents from the sparsely-populated central Canadian province of Saskatchewan. In total, he holds 16 Sasktachewan records, including 5 open-age records in the distance freestyle and sprint free events.

McGillivray comes from a big swimming family who all took slightly-different paths in their swimming. Older brother Scott swam at the University of Toronto before eventually making his way to the United States to train in San Diego with David Marsh's Team Elite pro group. His older sister Megan just finished her college career at the University of Maine, while sister Catherine also swam in Canada at the home-town University of Regina.

Each new sibling that has matriculated to college swimming has ventured further from home, with Michael punctuating that by making the 1,600 mile trip from Regina to the Bay Area.

--

Welcome to Bear territory, Michael!
swimmer19
Gabriel Jett: I'm excited to announce my commitment to the University of California! I'm extremely honored to be joining this amazing program and to swim and study as a Cal Bear. The brotherhood of the team and coaches was truly inspiring and I look forward to contributing in every way possible to the team and school!! GO BEARS!!

(#35 Nat, #1 CA)
Schroeder71
that's six verbals for the class of 2021! I guess that these guys are juniors in high school. GO BEARS!
HBear

OLYMPIC TRIALS QUALIFIER, #14, CONNOR BOYLE VERBALLY COMMITS TO VIRGINIA

--

Of the (early) top 20 swimmers on the men's side for the current HS juniors class (c/o '21), #3 Matt Fallon, #6 Tyler Lu, #11 Hayden Zhang, #15 Matthew Fenlon, #16 Peter Thompson, #19 Luke Hobson, and #20 Aidan Regan are left, as well as HM Kamal Muhammad.

Cal so far with #5 Alexy, #13 Frandson, and HM Crews, plus aforementioned Soderlund, McGillivray, and Jett.
HBear
HBear said:

Of the (early) top 20 swimmers on the men's side for the current HS juniors class (c/o '21), #3 Matt Fallon, #6 Tyler Lu, #11 Hayden Zhang, #15 Matthew Fenlon, #16 Peter Thompson, #19 Luke Hobson, and #20 Aidan Regan are left, as well as HM Kamal Muhammad.

Cal so far with #5 Alexy, #13 Frandson, and HM Crews, plus aforementioned Soderlund, McGillivray, and Jett.
#19 RECRUIT IN CLASS OF 2021 LUKE HOBSON VERBALLY COMMITS TO TEXAS

Ccajon2
Schroeder71 said:

that's six verbals for the class of 2021! I guess that these guys are juniors in high school. GO BEARS!

Amazing what the Swimming program has accomplished: 1st or 2nd in the NCs for 10 years running. Women with no worse then 3rd during the same span. Can't think of any other school with that kind of run in any other sports during that span. UCLA during Woodens tenure comes to mind but that was like 7 NCs in a row.
juarezbear
Ccajon2 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Amazing what the Swimming program has accomplished: 1st or 2nd in the NCs for 10 years running. Women with no worse then 3rd during the same span. Can't think of any other school with that kind of run in any other sports during that span. UCLA during Woodens tenure comes to mind but that was like 7 NCs in a row.
I hate to say it but the Furd tennis was dominant like that off and on for years.
HBear
swimmer19 said:

Gabriel Jett: I'm excited to announce my commitment to the University of California! I'm extremely honored to be joining this amazing program and to swim and study as a Cal Bear. The brotherhood of the team and coaches was truly inspiring and I look forward to contributing in every way possible to the team and school!! GO BEARS!!

(#35 Nat, #1 CA)
GABRIEL JETT ELECTS TO STAY IN STATE, DELIVERS VERBAL TO CAL FOR 2021

Gabriel Jett, a high school junior and member of Clovis Swim Club in California, has made his verbal commitment to swim for the 2019 National Champion Cal Bears in the fall of 2021. Jett comes from quite the swimming family; both of his parents (Scott and Kristie, maiden name Krueger) were multiple-time All-Americans for David Marsh at Auburn back in the 90s and his sister, Sierra, is currently in her senior season as Auburn. He will also enroll in and compete for Clovis North High School this season after previously being homeschooled.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.